Beware The Embassy In Singapore

Hi, I’m usually just a lurker on this board and always enjoy reading the back and forth between everyone here. However, I'm now sitting in a hotel in Singapore having just been denied my non B so I thought it was time to come out of the shadows and say something. I turned up at the Thai embassy this morning with my neat stack of clipped paperwork my school had given me to submit, and was told I needed to come back in the afternoon for an interview. I asked the girl at the window if there was a problem, and was told no that they are now interviewing and screening all teachers now applying for non B visas. So I went down to the embassy again after lunch and after waiting 45 minutes was told i would not be issued a non B visa.

Firstly, I was told that my school was missing yet another new piece of paperwork from the ministry of education giving the school permission to hire me as an educator. Secondly, I did not have a criminal background check from the US, which they also said was required to get a non B to work as a teacher.

I've been working in Thailand for 6 years now and legally with a work permit and despite all my qualifications as an educator I was rudely dismissed at the embassy this afternoon. I even asked if i could phone my school, so they could tell them what bit of paper was missing and the girl behind the counter (non-Thai by the way) said she wouldn't speak to them as she had just told me in English what was missing and told me to make a decision right then and there what I was going to do.

I am fortunately a graduate student at ABAC as well, and had my documentation with me to prove I am almost finished with a Masters of Education so asked her could I then apply for a student visa as I had a letter from the Dean signed stating my student status. She turned on her heels and quickly disappeared for about 2 minutes. She returned and said yes...i could return with a student visa so I'm not totally screwed here.

I've been working at my school for the last 4 years as an office manager, while slowly working to get my masters of Education. I'm technically done with the course work, and so wanted to start teaching, as it is the career I prefer. I've seen many posts about the state of immigration laws recently, and the owner of the school told me last week that the current government basically just doesn't want farangs working and living in Thailand long term. I would have never believed that till today, as I’ve been quite happy in the 6 years I’ve lived in Thailand, but is it time to consider other options in light of anti-farang laws that just seem to keep coming down from the ever changing powers that be? Anyways, heads up to everyone and stay away from the embassy in Singapore for visa issues. Oh, and a side note....while I was sitting there this morning I saw 3 different farang guys turned away with no visible chance of getting visas as well.

Thanks for that report.

Yes, the Singapore embassy has a bad rep, probably well deserved.

Specific to the teaching issue, aren't the criminal reports now required universally for teachers largely as a backlash in response to that embarrassing to Thailand John Mark Karr fiasco?

Anyways, heads up to everyone and stay away from the embassy in Singapore for visa issues. Oh, and a side note....while I was sitting there this morning I saw 3 different farang guys turned away with no visible chance of getting visas as well.

Sorry to read about your visa woes but good report and thanks for taking the time to write and post it. :o

The Thai Embassy in Singapore has always had mixed policies regarding visa issuance. For the longest time, they particularly frowned on back-to-back tourist visas although by posted reports they appear to be okay with that now. They've always been a bit reluctant about non-'B' visas and have never issued such visas in the multi-entry format. They appear to be okay with multi-entry non-'O' visas when showing a marriage license and a certain amount of money in the bank. My impression of their staff was that they could be rather brusque (although it has been years since I paid them a visit).

Thanks for the replies guys. I’ll try to expand a bit on what I saw and over heard, albeit gained from a bit of taking off the headphones and catching bits of the conversations. The first guy I didn’t hear at all what reason was given, but he shrugged his shoulders and walked away shaking his head. The second guy a bit later was trying to show her financial documents and kept saying that he was told it would be sufficient to gain his visa. After a bit of back and forth he put his hands up and said very politely, “Maam, I’m not going to argue with you,” and walked away accepting his fate as well.

The third guy I felt sorry for as he had his Thai wife in tow and I could clearly see he was starting to lose his temper. I think he’d overstayed his 90 days, and was refused re-entry into Thailand completely and he kept asking the girl in the window what was he supposed to do. The wife kept going back and forth to the Thai window seemingly seeking aid that wasn’t forthcoming and so they left eventually in a very angry state.

Regarding the criminal background check, I’d read on here that other embassies were not asking for that anymore so I hadn’t prepared myself for that one before I left Bangkok yesterday. It didn’t really occur to me, as this is the first time I’ve technically had to re-apply for a new visa in 4 years. I’ve lived in Thailand for 6 years now, and have no clue as to how I would go about getting a background check? Any ideas?

Oh, and forgot to add that we’d sent a new teacher off with the same set of paperwork a couple of weeks ago to apply for her non B in Cambodia and there were no complications at all, in case anyone is thinking of alternatives.

That's interesting. By all reports, the Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh is about the last place anybody would want to trek seeking a visa.

Oh, and forgot to add that we’d sent a new teacher off with the same set of paperwork a couple of weeks ago to apply for her non B in Cambodia and there were no complications at all, in case anyone is thinking of alternatives.

That's interesting. By all reports, the Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh is about the last place anybody would want to trek seeking a visa.

LOL, that's an understatement OM

I'm sorry to say this is an utter load of crap.

I've never met nicer and more understanding staff than at the Thai Embassy at Sing, esp. the Malay (could be Singaporean?) lady that usually collects the documentation and issues reciepts and has been there for atleast 3 years.

Have applied for my Non-B there twice (prev. in 2004 and this year) and got it within 2 days each time.

I was there last June and this Filipino girl (judging by her accent) in queue turned up w/ nothing a SINGLE piece of paper in English from her employer in Thailand requesting a Non-B visa for her!

The Malay lady was nice enough to explain to the Filipino girl exactly WHAT documentation she needed and even so much as to let her call her employer in Thailand (from Singapore!) so that he could fax the relevant documents that very day.

Unless there's some sort of backlash against Non-B visas for English teachers at the Thai Embassy in Singapore, I can't understand why you were treated the way you were.

Technically, I'm not even allowed to apply for a Non-B in Singapore, being South Asian, but have done so on two previous occasions with no problems.

However, my occupation is different which is always a deciding factor in Non-B applications.

Quite puzzling.

I can assure you what I’ve written is not “crap” as you so eloquently put it. I elected to come to Singapore because I also have come here 2 previous times to take care of my visa issues and previously their service was friendly and efficient. I submitted the paper work and received my non B in the 2 days just as you stated as well. Also, the girl behind the counter is not Thai to be sure, Singaporian or Malaysian I gathered. She had no interest at all in talking with my employer in Thailand, and I spoke with my school as soon as I left the embassy. They called the Embassy right away, and the secretary in the office said the staff were very rude and abrupt with her on the phone as well. She is Thai and who ever she spoke to at the embassy refused to speak to her in Thai to explain clearly what missing bit of paper was needed. So, last I talked to the school they were going to get in touch with the ministry of Education tomorrow to find out what missing documentation was needed.

I think it might be a backlash against Non-B visas for teachers, but if I may correct you I was not applying for my Non-B as an “English Teacher.” I am employed at an International school in Bangkok, and so I will still repeat my warning. Be wary and enter at your own risk to the Embassy here. Then again…the issuing authority official might have just been having a bad day.

but if I may correct you I was not applying for my Non-B as an “English Teacher.”

In that case please read your post one and I believe you will see why it appears that you were.

they are now interviewing and screening all teachers now applying for non B visas
missing yet another new piece of paperwork from the ministry of education giving the school permission to hire me as an educator
I did not have a criminal background check from the US, which they also said was required to get a non B to work as a teacher.
I've been working in Thailand for 6 years now and legally with a work permit and despite all my qualifications as an educator
I've been working at my school for the last 4 years as an office manager, while slowly working to get my masters of Education. I'm technically done with the course work, and so wanted to start teaching, as it is the career I prefer.

Edit: or perhaps you are you making a distinction between teacher and English teacher?

OK yes...technically you are correct as i will be teaching and all classes are conducted in English. I would be working as a class teacher so my responsibilities would be teaching all their subjects to my students in English. Sorry if I have ruffled feathers, but just thought some might be interested. Thanks for correcting me though :o

Can understand and thank you for the report. If you find out the paperwork required please follow up and it will be helpful to others. I believe the "crap" comment was not directed at you but at the "beware" association with Singapore as in general people have had good luck in Singapore this year.

Yes will be sure to find out and post what was missing when i get back to work on Monday. I've always enjoyed trips to Singapore previously, both leisure and visa issues, and so that's why today was a bit of a shock for me. Perhaps Penang next time or KL? Anyone have recent experiences to share?