Motorbike Taxi Drivers

actiondell4

I just returned from my 1st trip tp Pattaya althought not my 1st time to LOS. My only complaint was with the mototaxis and a few baht bus drivers.

One nite I left WS and needed to get back to Soi Diana. All week I had been paying 30-40 baht. This time the guy says 100 baht. I said no way, too much. He held firm at 100. I told him I had been paying 30-40 all week and then he (out of the goodness of his heart) he comes to 80, but no more. I said I would report him to the tourist police to which he said he didn't care. He became very agitated and I thought we were seconds away from a melee. I said fine take me back to WS. He drove like a madman in a way almost trying to throw me off. We get back to WS and says, there, go tell tourist police. I said no problem don't worry about it and offered the nearest moto guy 40 baht to Soi Diana. He took me no problem.

So the original guy took me twice the distance and didn't get a single baht, but at least he didn't lose face to a farang thank god.

There's good and bad in everything.... Perhaps the taxi drivers based in central pattaya are more mercenary than their counterparts in say Jomtien or outskirts cos there's less chance that you're likely to bump into them again.

Used to their full potential, taxi drivers can act as couriers, kebab collectors and with a financial incentive can track down and retrieve stolen goods.

consider that you can get a cab in bangkok that seat 4 for 40baht to places that would be no further than anywhere in pattaya

consider if you squeeze 3 passengers onto a MB taxi here in pattaya they want 120baht 3x40

they are the scourge of pattaya

if I travel MB taxi - I never ask the fair at the start or end of my journey I simply hand them 30baht say thankyou and walk away - simple

consider that you can get a cab in bangkok that seat 4 for 40baht to places that would be no further than anywhere in pattaya

consider if you squeeze 3 passengers onto a MB taxi here in pattaya they want 120baht 3x40

they are the scourge of pattaya

if I travel MB taxi - I never ask the fair at the start or end of my journey I simply hand them 30baht say thankyou and walk away - simple

The main problem is the lack of effective public transport and this applies to most cities and towns in Thailand. Look at Pattaya, Chiang Mai and Phuket to name just the tourist places - very little in the way of public transport - it is an open invitation and probably intended as such for anyone with a vehicle to start up a successful business (and vote the right way). And the problem is that the public administrators are scared stiff of the tuk tuk, taxi and baht drivers because they have tremendous power. In Chiang Mai they had to be bribed with higher fares to allow just a skeleton bus service to operate in a restricted area. The weak administrators are mainly to blame for the large number of freelance drivers, and the poor clogged roads, pollution and cheated tourists that result.

All you guys complaining, it makes me laugh.................... Walk!!! Buy a Motorcycle!! Rent a Motorcycle, Car !! You have a choice !!

Whatever, these guys have to live as well, Thailand isn't only there for you to take advantage, I'm sure if all the Thai people became rich, you wouldn't see a Farang in Pattaya, there would be nobody there to exploit!!!! Farangs go there cos they can take advantage of people who are financially vulnerable, in fact they travel huge distances to do such a thing.

Farangs take advantage of Cheap sexual pleasure and seem gobsmacked that a Thai guy on a Motorcycle wants to make a living.

Q : Why are there no sex tourists in Japan ?

A: Cos sex tourists can't afford the prices for what's on offer, that's why!!

So they travel to SE Asian countries where they can take advantage of the people, then complain when those very people want to take advantage of them.

Kind of ironic really, don't you think ?

Edited by Maigo6

By the way, I'm well in with the Motorcycle Taxi drivers in Soi 6, Soi 7 and along number 2 road.

Why?

Cos I can identify with them, my Car is not registered in Chonburi, it's registered in Loei, so the Thai guys know I stay in Isaan, I speak Thai and Lao, I play Pongsit Kamphi music with the windows down when I'm pissed up, and I stop and buy a few beers and have a chat.

I would much rather spend an hour drinking with a bunch of M/C Taxi drivers outside a 7 Eleven than sit in a Farang only bar listening to the usual crapola that goes along with drinking in a beer bar.

Plus.........these guys can, and will, help you out if you're in a scrape.

Edited by Maigo6

Amazing experience last night. I was trying to park on Second Road and a motorbike taximan jumped up and moved his motorbike and then, with a big smile, guided me into the space. I couldn't help wondering if there was a catch somewhere, but there wasn't - the car was still there and in one piece, when I came back!

There's good and bad everywhere.

I wouldn't deny anyone the right to try to earn a decent living - what I don't understand from my contacts with the motorbike guys over the years is the way they will ask grossly inflated prices when there is rain or a bit of extra traffic around and be prepared to lose a good fare rather than lower their price. Many a time when they have aggressively refused to negotiate I have just walked away and gone to the next stand. There, I've found they will usually negotiate - especially if they have seen me walk from the first one. I am sure in many cases I have been some of these guys' last chance of a fare for that night but in being extra greedy they have been the big losers.

In front of Royal Garden, there's no less than 10 baht buses at night sitting idle waiting to be hired.

I tried negotiating 150 baht return to Buddha Hill and was told to ###### off.

I pointed out the drivers sit there for hours doing nothing and how much more did he expect to get off another customer for a short trip?? 150 is better than 0.

I was told to ###### off again.

:o

All you guys complaining, it makes me laugh.................... Walk!!! Buy a Motorcycle!! Rent a Motorcycle, Car !! You have a choice !!

Unbelievable aren't they.

Edited by Neeranam

what I don't understand from my contacts with the motorbike guys over the years is the way they will ask grossly inflated prices when there is rain or a bit of extra traffic around and be prepared to lose a good fare rather than lower their price. Many a time when they have aggressively refused to negotiate I have just walked away and gone to the next stand. There, I've found they will usually negotiate - especially if they have seen me walk from the first one. I am sure in many cases I have been some of these guys' last chance of a fare for that night but in being extra greedy they have been the big losers.

Perhaps they don't wanna get soaking freaking wet for the 20 Baht you so kindly try to negotiate them down to!! :o

Who or what is Slim ?

SLIM is a Nightclub on 2nd/Beach road..

Sounds like a language problem the driver expected 80 total, you gave 100.

No, He clearly said 80 baht for 1 person , 160 baht for 2. No language problems as this is all in Thai..

Edited by Meg_ken2003

On relatively short journey's, say from Walking St to Soi 7, i just get on a bike and try to throw a little Thai in, like "soi jet khrap".and when i get off, give him/her 40 baht. Never had a problem yet.

I'm right with you on this. 40 baht ($1.25 US) is a good price to get from point A to point B.

If it's further, they might quote me 50 or 60 baht, of which I still don't have a problem.

I don't care what they charge Thai women. Most Thai women are poor and have to sleep with filthy, smelly, sweaty, disgusting animals to get some cashflow.

Anyway, sometimes I even throw a little tip their way. Nice to have these guys on your side, not against, in case of an altercation.

Please don't talk about the police like that. its very rude. :o

Great line!

I don't really find any probs with the motocy guys, however I do negotiate my fare in Thai before taking off on any trip. By doing this they know you are not a tourist and that you will probably walk if it's too high.

On a few occassions I accidently parked on one of these motocy stands. In most cases a guy would come up to me and tell me I can't park there so I moved my MC 10 meters down the road no problems. Once I parked (by accident) fair smack on the motocy stand at the Oasis A Go Go, when I came out I found my locked MC was diligently shifted into the correct parking spot lined up straight and the door girls looking after it. Next day I went back waved to the guys and I told the Go Go manager inside he's got a great bunch of guys outside there. He said "they ought to be I let them operate there for free". What goes around comes around, they are not all that bad.

Lets not forget puncture time too, one time my mates tyres went down as he arrived to the bar. No probs he asks a motocy guy if he can take care it. 30 minutes later back comes the guy with his MC in perfect order, total cost 120 baht. Now try getting that sort of service in London, New York or Sydney.

One thing for sure you might end up in a ditch if you are going to treat any Thai person like this following earlier quote.

just give them a slap on the back of the head if they try to overcharge
Edited by bmanly

Whatever, these guys have to live as well, Thailand isn't only there for you to take advantage, I'm sure if all the Thai people became rich, you wouldn't see a Farang in Pattaya, there would be nobody there to exploit!!!! Farangs go there cos they can take advantage of people who are financially vulnerable, in fact they travel huge distances to do such a thing.

Farangs take advantage of Cheap sexual pleasure and seem gobsmacked that a Thai guy on a Motorcycle wants to make a living.

Q : Why are there no sex tourists in Japan ?

A: Cos sex tourists can't afford the prices for what's on offer, that's why!!

So they travel to SE Asian countries where they can take advantage of the people, then complain when those very people want to take advantage of them.

Kind of ironic really, don't you think ?

your post makes no sense, first you say we are taking advanage of thias, then you say they are taking advantage of us ?

besides that it is all relative, in my previous post I made a comparison - either bangkok taxi's are way too cheap or these MB taxi's are taking the piss - which is it ?

when i was in Pattaya, the motor cycle guys were terrific - the prices were tiny compared to what i pay in Australia for less service.

One rider waited for me at the Big C 15 minutes to take me back to my hotel

i felt safe with the two groups of riders that i used - it was sanook mahk mahk.

Perhaps they don't wanna get soaking freaking wet for the 20 Baht you so kindly try to negotiate them down to!! :o

I'm not talking about negotiating them town to 20 baht. I'm talking, as I said, about grossly inflated prices like asking 100 baht for a run that would normally be 30.

And if they don't want to get wet sometime, then they're in the wrong job.

I'm not talking about negotiating them town to 20 baht. I'm talking, as I said, about grossly inflated prices like asking 100 baht for a run that would normally be 30.

I agree. If the informal transport sector has the power, through the threat of strikes (and the tuk-tuk, baht bus and motorcycle drivers surely do because there is no alternative transport available and the city would grind to a halt if they did strike) then at least they should be willing to take passenegers in all weathers and to all reasonable places at a reasonable and consistent price, just as public transport has an obligation to do. I agree they should be allowed to make a living but it should be regulated to ensure passengers, with no alternative means of transport, get a reasonable deal. When I recently visited Pattaya a few times after a long absence, I wanted to get to the bus station from Jomtien. I had a fair amount of luggage, as most tourists do, so walking was OUT. Walking is NOT an alternative in many cases and is a silly basis for an argument. Whenever I asked a baht bus driver the fare, I inevitably got the answer 180 baht or there abouts. They know tourists are vulnerable, ignorant of fares and in need, so that's how they cheat. It IS cheating because the legal fares are displayed in the trucks. But when I arrived it only cost 30 baht to Jomtien, so whenever they tried it on I told them to ###### off. This is not a racial thing, as is often claimed. If the same thing happened in Europe, the UK or wherever, I would do the same. I wouldn't want to treat Thais in a different way than I would treat my own countrymwen. Now that would be racial discrimination.

I agree. If the informal transport sector has the power, through the threat of strikes (and the tuk-tuk, baht bus and motorcycle drivers surely do because there is no alternative transport available and the city would grind to a halt if they did strike) then at least they should be willing to take passenegers in all weathers and to all reasonable places at a reasonable and consistent price, just as public transport has an obligation to do. I agree they should be allowed to make a living but it should be regulated to ensure passengers, with no alternative means of transport, get a reasonable deal. When I recently visited Pattaya a few times after a long absence, I wanted to get to the bus station from Jomtien. I had a fair amount of luggage, as most tourists do, so walking was OUT. Walking is NOT an alternative in many cases and is a silly basis for an argument. Whenever I asked a baht bus driver the fare, I inevitably got the answer 180 baht or there abouts. They know tourists are vulnerable, ignorant of fares and in need, so that's how they cheat. It IS cheating because the legal fares are displayed in the trucks. But when I arrived it only cost 30 baht to Jomtien, so whenever they tried it on I told them to ###### off. This is not a racial thing, as is often claimed. If the same thing happened in Europe, the UK or wherever, I would do the same. I wouldn't want to treat Thais in a different way than I would treat my own countrymwen. Now that would be racial discrimination.

6* passengers, Pattaya bus station to Jomtien @30 baht each = 180 baht.

1 passenger, Jomtien to Pattaya bus station @180 baht each = 180 baht.

(*more probably 8 or 10.)

The distance, travel time, fuel costs and other operating expenses are the same. Add to this the fact that the vehicle that takes you to the Pattaya bus station may not be permitted to pick up more passengers there and would have to circle through Sukhumvit empty.

What's more, 20 baht will make a driver happy going from Jomtien Beach Road to the intersection of Pattaya Second Road amd Pattaya South Road. If that's as far as he goes, 10 more will get you to the Dolphin Circle, and 10 more to the bus station.

What you "overpaid" for was the luxury of only having to shift your suitcases once and gaining point-to-point transportation unencumbered and undelayed by other passengers. If it wasn't worth it to you, you had the alternatives above.

6* passengers, Pattaya bus station to Jomtien @30 baht each = 180 baht.

1 passenger, Jomtien to Pattaya bus station @180 baht each = 180 baht.

(*more probably 8 or 10.)

The distance, travel time, fuel costs and other operating expenses are the same. Add to this the fact that the vehicle that takes you to the Pattaya bus station may not be permitted to pick up more passengers there and would have to circle through Sukhumvit empty.

What's more, 20 baht will make a driver happy going from Jomtien Beach Road to the intersection of Pattaya Second Road amd Pattaya South Road. If that's as far as he goes, 10 more will get you to the Dolphin Circle, and 10 more to the bus station.

What you "overpaid" for was the luxury of only having to shift your suitcases once and gaining point-to-point transportation unencumbered and undelayed by other passengers. If it wasn't worth it to you, you had the alternatives above.

You're wrong. Each time they tried to overcharge was because I ASKED to go to the bus station, jusrt as many tourists would. "Very far" they said. They had passengers in the cab each time and clearly did not intend to take only me - they would have picked up passengers along the way (as happened each time I was overcharged). Subsequently, I simply jump on a bus at Jomtien and if the cab goes all the way to the bus station then I pay 30 baht. If they only go to the intersection, I pay 20 baht and pick up one there for the short journey to the station for 10 baht. Total cost each time is 30 baht. Many tourists, especially first-timers would not know that and I only twigged it after being cheated twice. Don't see why they can't pick up passengers when at or after they leave the bus station. Others do.

Whilst I deplore their antics and their rip off ways, I have to also castigate the stupid tourists and expat reisdents who like the poster above, want to move house or take all their luggage to the airport without thinking it through and still want it for the Bt10 fare.

The last time I took a bus to or from an airport was in Mallorca when I left England with GBP70 and was a mere teenager. I may take one here in Thailand as I deplore the airport taxi mafia and Bell travel seem to have a service which may fit my next flight. I don't trust leaving my truck at the airport for 3 or 4 days.

If I did want to take my suitcase to the bus station to go to the airport I could not and would not think it appropriate to pay the same as a day tourist going about the town. I would hire a taxi or hire a bus.

By the way, I'm well in with the Motorcycle Taxi drivers in Soi 6, Soi 7 and along number 2 road.

Why?

Cos I can identify with them, my Car is not registered in Chonburi, it's registered in Loei, so the Thai guys know I stay in Isaan, I speak Thai and Lao, I play Pongsit Kamphi music with the windows down when I'm pissed up, and I stop and buy a few beers and have a chat.

I would much rather spend an hour drinking with a bunch of M/C Taxi drivers outside a 7 Eleven than sit in a Farang only bar listening to the usual crapola that goes along with drinking in a beer bar.

Plus.........these guys can, and will, help you out if you're in a scrape.

Have to agree with the above. I use the same bunch of Thai M/C that sit beside Family Mart, opposite The Red Ant resturant down Soi 16, Wongamatt. Taken care of my GF when she fell off her bike. Organised taxis at 20 seonds notice to take me to the airport when the booked (and deposited) car failed to turn up. Had a problem (with tourists) and the biggest guys (2) stuck around with me for 4 days, okay I paid 20 baht x 2 for every journey. After 2 1/2 years using the same bunch of guys with my non-tonal Thai feel safer with them, big style.

I have to also castigate the stupid tourists and expat reisdents

The condition is clearly not limited to those 2 groups.

who like the poster above, want to move house or take all their luggage to the airport without thinking it through and still want it for the Bt10 fare.

I travel with a single rucksac, and travel to my home in BKK by bus.

The last time I took a bus to or from an airport was in Mallorca when I left England with GBP70 and was a mere teenager.

Violins

Whilst I deplore their antics and their rip off ways,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I may take one here in Thailand as I deplore the airport taxi mafia and Bell travel seem to have a service which may fit my next flight. I don't trust leaving my truck at the airport for 3 or 4 days.

mm......Well, so far none of this had made any sense at all.

• 3 weeks later...

This is an interesting thread and I would like to explain my views on how I go about enlisting transportation, with regard to moto-taxi drivers in particular. Whenever I first came some years back, I was completely ignorant and, looking back, yes, I was taken advantage of [ignorance tax]. And due to being an "angry, spoilt American" [yes I certainly was], I was at times admittedly rude and abusive when things didn't go my way, and I began to get aware of the system but not quite have a grasp of it [rude tax]. Also, I began noticing different klinds of drivers moods and the weather and where I was asking them to take me, as well as if the driver could make a fare back, or have to drive back alone due to taking me to a non-profitible area [consideration tax]. So, when I factor out the ignorance tax, the rude tax, and factor in the consideration tax I usually come out with a reasonable price quote. Then I factor in a smile and politeness discount, which is an option on the part of the driver. But if there are enough drivers sitting around, I usually choose them by their demeanor and ability to speak English. I avoid the brooding ones on broken down bikes. Anyways, I liked the comparison of what the last beer cost, compared to what that one ride at the end of the sojourn costs. The baht buses were a cinch for me. Half a click for the lower stable price [back then it was 10 baht], and anything over a half click and up to one click I paid 20 baht. I just paid and walk the other way without any eye contact, words, etc. Never had a problem. Keep in mind that a lot of tourists [back then anyways] rip these drivers off when a crowd is disembarking and arms and hands are being shoved through the window to pay, and drunks are stumbling off forgetting to pay. I do doubt that some Thai people occasionally fleece their own in these cases, right (joking)? There are a lot of little things not mentioned here that probably get the ire of the drivers up as well. Respectfully speaking, at the end of the day, they still have to eat and have a place to stay, regardless of how many of them some might believe think are gamblers and whatnot. I am fairly certain that these people would like to be out and about, playing or recreating like us customers. Imagine sitting in a non-air conditioned truck for 12 hours, or trying to find a shady spot and competing with other drivers for that one ride? One can imagine that they may become a bit testy and desperate at times just the same as any of us who have admittedly been there? But they deal with it in the only way that they were raised, right?

Principle was mentioned. Although I cannot disagree with that poster, I would however envision that the viewpoints of the Thai taxi-drivers, and their pathway in life that got them to the place of being a taxi-driver, would not necessarily match the viewpoints of said poster for obvious reasons. At the end of the day I think working hard at eliminating the above mentioned tax factors [it requires a bit of due diligence and self-will] would eliminate the distress of having a few less baht in ones pocket. It seems like this would spoil an otherwise wonderfaul day/night out? If I were a tourist, I would not be bothered by this and consider it a part of the finances of a vacation away from the grind. If I were an expat [and I hope to be] then I would definitely begin learning Thai ways and their language and how to embrace their way of thinking and their viewpoints on issues of importance to my own survival. I mean no offense here, and would appreciate anyone sorting me out if I am on the wrong track here with my views.

P.S. It just occured to me that old sayng, What goes around, comes around". I have no predictable control over others, but I can and most certainly do try to control myself. I have noticed in my life that if I am positive and smile, even if I am in a grumpy mood, I usually receive a lot of unpredictable niceties, from others, that do not have a price attached to them. But I do consider those niceties in from a financial aspect [i.e a ride when in distress, or a little extra food on the side, etc] This helps balance out those times when I know that I am paying a wee bit extra for that one moment in time. I can live with that and still smile and joke about it.

One wet day I was told that the fares were double when it was raining and the guy wanted 200 baht to take me from Tesco on Pattaya Nua to Pattaya Tai. I was so angry that I walked. On a point of principle when in company we take two bikes rather than squeezing on to one since the fare would be the same.

You think so.!!!!!!

Would be the same, thats because you never tried it.

thats 200 baht each mate.

Not so. Have done it dozens of times. The two stands nearby operate on the principle of the negotiated fare multiplied by the number of passengers irrespective of the number of bikes used. Makes sense then for each bike to have only one passenger.

It never ceases to amaze me how some of you guys can spend the time to write volumes of absolute crap regarding the princely sum of up to 100 Baht for a motorcycle taxi to take you to a bar where you will probably spend 1000's baht on beer and or other entertainment. These taxi drivers have to make a living and you as farang are much richer than they are so whats the problem.

Treat them with respect and they will treat you the same!

I stay in Bangkok and i have on more than one occasion seen the dreaded motorcyle taxi drivers be the first to a road traffic accident and give assistance to the injured until the services arrive.

Well done to the men/women in orange.

Cheers Rick

It never ceases to amaze me how some of you guys can spend the time to write volumes of absolute crap regarding the princely sum of up to 100 Baht for a motorcycle taxi to take you to a bar where you will probably spend 1000's baht on beer and or other entertainment.

It may surprise you to learn that many if not most foreigners settle, or vacation in Thailand because it's supposedly a cheap destination. It's not really the place where the rich and famous come to retire.

Keeping a close eye on expenditure is a good thing for many.

When one has to pay the same price for a very short ride on the back of a small and unsafe motorcycle as a bus trip from Pattaya to Bangkok, something is wrong.

You may also be surprised to learn that the maximum recommended load for a Honda 125, or similar small motorcycle is just over 100 kg all up.

Edited by tropo

It never ceases to amaze me how some of you guys can spend the time to write volumes of absolute crap regarding the princely sum of up to 100 Baht for a motorcycle taxi to take you to a bar where you will probably spend 1000's baht on beer and or other entertainment. These taxi drivers have to make a living and you as farang are much richer than they are so whats the problem.

Treat them with respect and they will treat you the same!

I stay in Bangkok and i have on more than one occasion seen the dreaded motorcyle taxi drivers be the first to a road traffic accident and give assistance to the injured until the services arrive.

Well done to the men/women in orange.

Cheers Rick

Open your wallet and say after me "Help yourself."

To follow your argument it would be OK to charge say, Thaksin, 10,000 baht then.

Overcharging is theft, pure and simple. If you don't understand that I suggest that you are perfectly equipped to be a Thai politician.