Marry Thai Girl And Making A Go Of It.

quiggs

I would like to hear from people who have met someone special in Thailand and made the big move, rather than bring them to their country right away. I am struggling with what I percieve as a considerable uphill battle with the economica of being a foreigner in Thailand.

I am not broke...by any means, but, not rich either. Looking to stay that way...or better.

Leaving her is not an option.

Not looking for a silver bullet, just curious if anyone has any experiences to share. Seems this board is full of misery :o

I don't think ther board is 'full of misery' as you put it. I think only those that are unhappy tend to broadcast it.

Many here are married-to/live-with Thai ladies or men. If you have the job or ability to get one (and can secure the visa) then you are set.

If you do not have enough money, then maybe you can go home and earn some periodically (3 months every 6 months etc).

Or maybe she will come home with you ( I know you didn't want this, but you can always buy the land, house, job and savings from home and move over then).

She has a business, and is doing pretty well. I will be investing in it, as well as possibly opening my own or looking for a position. We are kind of on the fence....plenty of money, but, not tens of millions of baht. She could probably get me a work permit..Yes, i can always come back and earn money...she seems to think it will all workout, but, after reading this board, I am not so sure. :o

You're not giving too much away Guiggs - like what are you bringing to the table.

You may have noticed that Thailand is not a wealthy country - if you intend to move here with the love of your life there may well be a financial predicament.

Unless you have something really special to offer don't think that Thailand has a special welcome for you! Sorry :o

I have a degree, I have over 2,000,000 baht, and I have a fiancee....what I do not have is an adequate plan, but, thanks for your negative comments...thse are the kind I simply do not need.

I am not sure what kind of bums run around Thailand creating people with this type of point of view, but, it is rather irritating. Please save it for the hippies, and whoever else you do not care for.

I need no special welcome....just asking what peoples experiences have been.

My teacher met her husband when she went to the graduate school in USA 20 years ago. When she done with her degree the guy follow her to Thailand married her and they are still together since . He is a nice guy, introduce me to print making,lithography etc.

I think that if you have known her,she has a going business and this is not your usual tourist/bargirl kind of hookup that you could do OK.

Most of them are screwed over by farang and the only ones they see are throwing money up in the air and running out from under it. know them a week and marry them or try to take them home with em,and then the bubble breaks,,the dude ain't rich like she thought and the honeymoon is over,,she is gone and so is most of your stuff. they really only wanted a nice living in a nice rich country where everything was milk and honey and to get out of Thailand.

If you know her, she is doing OK ,and wants to stay and live in Thailand and you are not just a money cow,then go for it.

Like has been said,,you can always go for awhile and work,come back.

Be careful and watch your back

Sweet family members may be wolves dressed in sheeps clothing

:o:D:D:D

More words of encouragement............but i don't know why you are asking a Forum to advise you, when you only want positive feedback.

2 million is not a lot of money really, it is if you ain't got it though. But i have seen many guys come here with a lot more than that, and go home within 2 - 3 years broken emotionally and financially.

But give it a go, i would in your position, after all, you only live once, and if you lose a bit of money, so what, you can always earn some more. I would say.......GO FOR IT! As long as you have got some money it's great.

I work overseas and live in Thailand, i love it.

Quiggs, seriously, you do what you feel is right, you are dead a long time.

I need no special welcome....just asking what peoples experiences have been.

Why do you think there are so many miserable postings on this forum?

Thailand will take ur 2m Bt, spit u out and send you back where ur degree will be appreciated.

I realize it is not a "ton" of money. Not really looking for "advice". I was just hoping to hear of some positive experiences....seems so many have had bad ones. She isn't in it for the money, and she's no bar girl. There is only her mother left, and she has plenty of money.

That is not a huge nest egg, but, i will probably have another million baht before I go, and a little stipend for a year or so when I am there...in addition to the fact my fiancee makes about 40-60kUS a year as well in Thailand. Like I said, not rich, but, not poor. Middle Class. Almost seems rare in Thailand.

We have enough to explore opportunities, just not enought o fail miserably several times:-)

I have read this forum for several months...and have heard MANY of the pitfalls...so I just thought I would try to scare out the other side of the coin.

Thanks! :o

in addition to the fact my fiancee makes about 40-60kUS a year as well in Thailand. Like I said, not rich, but, not poor. Middle Class. Almost seems rare in Thailand.

There you go, no problem, go for it.

Quiggs,

Begs is spot on "Do what you feel is right". :o

No matter what kind of advice you get from this thread, good or bad, at the end of the day only you know what's what and only you can decide what would be the best solution.

I came here to teach, met my husband (Thai) and got married, we are by no means well off but we live a very comfortable life here in Thailand.

Life is what you make it, I believe it's true and if you truly love each other you will make a go of it anywhere! :D

Jingjingna

Ha, seems to be.

Well, I appreciate the comments. My mind has been made up for some time...plans are in the works, just wanted to hear some experiences.

Honestly, seems I am in better shape than many coming there...I will have a work permit, and a job if I want it....more importantly, someone I trust. Seems that is something not easy to come by...anywhere :o

Ha, seems to be.

Well, I appreciate the comments. My mind has been made up for some time...plans are in the works, just wanted to hear some experiences.

Honestly, seems I am in better shape than many coming there...I will have a work permit, and a job if I want it....more importantly, someone I trust. Seems that is something not easy to come by...anywhere :o

Quiggs watch out for the Farangs in Thailand, many are Skint and looking to borrow money.

Which they never pay back

pnustedt, you must have a nice story :o

No, not a nice story as far as LOS is concerned. I am married to a Thai and will move to Thailand in a few years . . . but not until I have a substantial amount of money (I am currently saving like mad in HK where I can earn substantially more than I could in LOS).

I have heard of many instances where westerners have moved to be with their loved ones with the best of motives - however the Thai girl's expectations and the western guy's ability to provide have nearly always been a cause for strife.

My advice would be to earn as much as you can and save it - get your girl to live with you if poss. That's what I'm doing. No way would I move to LOS with 2mil Bt. It may get you a small bungalow built and a pick-up to run around in, but nothing to live on.

In my situation, I do not need a car(she has one) , and she owns a house. I tend to agree with your logic, but, all my money will go towards satisfying Visa requirements, and developing an existing business.

You may very well be right...it may all fail, but, I am going to try. ( can always come back to suburbia and make money.

I realize it is not a "ton" of money. Not really looking for "advice". I was just hoping to hear of some positive experiences....seems so many have had bad ones.

There are plenty farangs who made a pile but they wont be posting here about how they did it , my advice is to travel around asia and look for oportunities for import/export .

If you have a good idea you dont broadcast it on the net .

One Brit bought up all the land around morchit and rented it out to foodsellers .

thats a good story of success.

Another Brit smuggled lumber in from Burma and Laos .

An Austrian bought out RedBull and made a pile all over the world.

..in addition to the fact my fiancee makes about 40-60kUS a year as well in Thailand. Like I said, not rich, but, not poor. Middle Class. Almost seems rare in Thailand.

60k US Heck she can afford a mai noi for you! Of the Thai's I know this would be considered rich. Especially for a women.

Be careful and watch your back

Sweet family members may be wolves dressed in sheeps clothing

:o:D:wub::D

More words of encouragement............but i don't know why you are asking a Forum to advise you, when you only want positive feedback.

2 million is not a lot of money really, it is if you ain't got it though. But i have seen many guys come here with a lot more than that, and go home within 2 - 3 years broken emotionally and financially.

But give it a go, i would in your position, after all, you only live once, and if you lose a bit of money, so what, you can always earn some more. I would say.......GO FOR IT! As long as you have got some money it's great.

I work overseas and live in Thailand, i love it.

Quiggs, seriously, you do what you feel is right, you are dead a long time.

That is not a huge nest egg, but, i will probably have another million baht before I go, and a little stipend for a year or so when I am there...in addition to the fact my fiancee makes about 40-60kUS a year as well in Thailand. Like I said, not rich, but, not poor. Middle Class. Almost seems rare in Thailand.

Re: the above comment, your fiance must be into some nefarious form of employment to be getting anything like that sort of money in Thailand :D

Re the attached quotation: Going and earning more money is fine but if you are getting close to your 'use by date' that is not always an option :D

..in addition to the fact my fiancee makes about 40-60kUS a year as well in Thailand. Like I said, not rich, but, not poor. Middle Class. Almost seems rare in Thailand.

60k US Heck she can afford a mai noi for you! Of the Thai's I know this would be considered rich. Especially for a women.

Don't know about rich but definitely a comfortable upper income lifestyle for Thailand.

It sounds like she has the means to support you even if things doesn't work out professionally for you. You are probably in the minority in this sense which is a good case. You really do have lots of options. You can be more aggressive with business opportunties and also live in Thailand with your girl. If the business doesn't work out well at least there's a second income until you get on your feet again.

Like a couple of people on this board, I live in Thailand but work overseas. Every other weekend or long holidays, I would fly home. This too is another option for you...albeit more conservative.

Good luck to you.

Quiggs,

It sounds to me as though you have your head screwed on the right way. I made the bad mistake quite a few years ago of falling in love with a Thai girl for all the wrong reasons. Fortunately I didn't burn my bridges and was able to recover financially and in other ways when things went wrong.

A few years ago I met a another Thai girl, through mutual friends here in Australia, and we got married and have lived happily ever after.

One key thing is to be open and honest with each other, to understand and respect each other's cultures, and to trust each other totally. Yes, a lot of farang get burned because they get involved in situations they don't really understand, for all the wrong reasons. Thai girls get burned too.

On the issue of trust, I would trust my wife with my life, let alone something as relatively unimportant as money. If you stay in Thailand, you will need to be able to rely totally on your wife in some situations.

My wife is a few years younger than me, we are financially independent, and could live comfortably in Thailand...but my wife prefers us to stay in Australia for the forseeable future...she believes that I will "live longer here". She is probably right...she has a bit of a temper, which is unusual for Thai women, and she is smart enough to realise that that could cause problems for us back in Thailand.

A final word. Don't suddenly fall in love with Thailand. Get to know the place, warts and all, which will take about three years.....then, by all means, if you still like the place, fall in love with it.

I wish you the best of good fortune.