Chorizio

buddhafly

Here's a recipe I found for Chorizo -- the curing mix is optional if you use it within a few days -- let this sit in the refrigerator at least one day to get the vinegar flavor -- you can re-hydrate some of the dried chilis in the local markets to replace the ancho. A staple in Mexican cuisine in California.

10 # pork butt (ground from the market)

1/2 # smoked bacon

2-1/2 tsp tinted curing mix

3 oz kosher salt

4 tblsp minced garlic

1/2 cup red wine vinegar

1 cup chorizo spice

Chorizo Spice

1/4 cup cracked black pepper

3/4 cup ancho chili powder

1/4 cup oregano

1/4 cup cracked coriander

1/4 cup cumin

1 tblsp + 1tsp cayenne

1 cup spanish paprika

mix all ingredients thoroughly.

JohnBKKK -- I am now betwixt and befuddled -- are YOU in fact the EuroGourmet?? -- I thought you were just one of the guys giving pointers on where to buy the stuff -- I like to make things myself when possible, but who knows?? Always good to have something easy on hand. Up here in the boondocks (Bahn Noks), as Kuhn Tutsi will I'm sure agree, if you don't make it yourself, it ain't dere.

Mea Culpa :-) I;m the Ex. Chef of the Eurogourmet - however,our main business is supplying many 5 star Hotels and the up-market section of Restaurant's here with Sausages, Terrines and Pate's as well as pre-cooked, vacuum packed specialities - We are not a major seller in Villa and I usually put in some over-run's and point them out here since the quality is of course the same and I find could be of interest to members here, looking for something different than the usual quality of the Be Lucky etc. stuff.

Example, this week I made a lot of Fromage de Tete (Headcheese for the Brits - Schweinskopfsuelze for the Germs) and am having some 12 packs of 200G+ packaged for retail which will be put into Villa 33 probably tomorrow - there won't be any more until I make the next batch for a wholesale customers - Hotel or Restaurant

Hope this doesn't offend anyone and will of course stop doing so if that is the case

• 2 years later...

I make a very simple Mexican pork Chorizo as follows!

1 1/2 pounds of ground pork ( You can use any meat Beef,Chicken etc.)

1 teaspoon salt.

1 1/2 teaspoons of chile powder (can adjust to your taste)

1 clove of garlic (mashed)

3 tablespoons of vinegar

Mix Well : pack chorizo in a crock or glass jar, it will keep in the refrigerator for several weeks.

You can buy the meat and grind it ,pick your % of fat, or just pick up ground pork.

you can add and subtract ingredients as you wish, but you need the vinegar to ferment the chorizo! you can use it the following morning for breakfast.

Kiko, what kind of vinegar?

I use the regular white vinegar sold in the markets, you can use any type of vinegar, I would image, just adjust it to your taste.

Let it set for a while after you add the vinegar before using, so the vinegar can ferment the mixture.

I use Mexican red chili i brought from Mexico and add Thai Chile for the hotness of the Chile.

Remember you can use any type of meat, use your favorite spices ,but you must use the vinegar. I add a lot more than the 3 tablespoons called for in the recipe.

You are free to experiment until you find one that fits your taste buds. mix it with fried potatoes (Chorizo con Papas) add onions. (optional) or mix it with scrambled eggs ( Chorizo con Huevos)

We have an order in for smoked Spanish Chorizo next week and will be making some more to sell in Villa Supermarket near Soi 33 at about THB 160.00 for 220G - should be on the shelf (Eurogourmet Section) by the end of next week

The Eurogourmet

Excuse my ignorance but where is Soi 33?

Thank you

1 teaspoon salt.

3 tablespoons of vinegar

Mix Well : pack chorizo in a crock or glass jar, it will keep in the refrigerator for several weeks.

You can buy the meat and grind it ,pick your % of fat, or just pick up ground pork.

you can add and subtract ingredients as you wish, but you need the vinegar to ferment the chorizo! you can use it the following morning for breakfast.

A couple of points ,I would like to add my recipe is for Mexican chorizo, the others are talking about Spanish Chorizo, two completely different products.

Also that the ingredients for my recipe are available every where, many Thai dried Chiles to pick from that can be used, many have added items, try to get only dried Chile or dried Chile mixed with garlic.

Any type of vinegar will do, also you can use beef, pork, chicken any type of meat. Make sure it has a fair amount of fat. you can pick your meat and have it ground up for you at the market.

Good Luck , Good Eating!

1 teaspoon salt.

3 tablespoons of vinegar

A couple of points ,I would like to add my recipe is for Mexican chorizo, the others are talking about Spanish Chorizo, two completely different products.

Also that the ingredients for my recipe are available every where, many Thai dried Chiles to pick from that can be used, many have added items, try to get only dried Chile or dried Chile mixed with garlic.

Any type of vinegar will do, also you can use beef, pork, chicken any type of meat. Make sure it has a fair amount of fat. you can pick your meat and have it ground up for you at the market.

Good Luck , Good Eating!

Great! I, for one, am looking forward to reading your recipe and trying to make it using ingredients findable here in the Pattaya area. Gonna use chicken to keep the calories down. Thanks!