Penang Consulate To Limit Issuance Of Tourist Visas To Three

This is what I have been doing past few years:

Come to Thailand from USA with 2entry Tourest Visa, stay 6 months with a border re-entry..go to Shanghai or Vientiene and get a 60 day, extend it for 30days@1900฿ goto another nearby city and get 2&3 months..then go back to USA for a visit and get another TV with 2 entries....

In other words go back to far-away home country (USA or Europe) at least 1 time per year.

I am hopefull that I will still be allowed to do this, actually on my way back to USA very soon so I will see if they changed the rule on giving 2 entries for Americans when they apply at a Thai consulate in their country. Did they? Did I miss that rule change?

My History: I have never gotten one of these warning stamps or a verbal warning from nearby consulates, but I have many TVs from PnomPenn,Vientiene,Penang,Shanghai; but I have always gone back to USA at least 1 time a year and sometimes after 8 months..

I wonder if I'm being thrown out of the country as well?

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pk,

Not sure,but I think our USA consulates are clampin down as well.Even Denver and Houston.

This past March they said no to non imm.type 'O" after last year issuing one no prob,but gave me a TR (triple entry tourist) and THAT was in March..now not sure,but it doesn't look good. I too was hoping to do the same thing as you.Go back ONCE a year...but It seems pointless not to mention PAENG MAK MAAK if we have to go back more often..and that bloody flight!! OI!!!

living here off savings from USA.Im polite,

respectful,take NO one's job,and SPEND MY OWN MONEY INTO THE ECONOMY.

Thais don't care about your small savings that you spend here, no disrespect. They're looking for the big bang money. There logic: if you want to live here either work legally, retire here with lots of cash, or dump tons of money here creating a business or corporation. They want the upper hand. It's not xenophobic it's about control. Basically if you have enough cash, like anywhere, than visas, wp, legal docs, etc. are simple to obtain. They're just weeding out the small players. Time will tell if their new approach benefits or hurts the country.

Thaiman,

I understand your point,but who is gonna be lured to dump all this big money here,when the foreign business laws have ALSO clamped down(again in favor of...you guessed it..NOT the foreigner,even if he dumps tons of cash)..no one will invest in huge corporations if they have NO control of the company stock (ie: the 49/51 scheme) Control is one thing,but the anti foreigner attitude goes ALL the way down to the moto taxi guy on the street,and I may not have mega bucks,but I do spend ALOT here,break no laws,bother no one,always show respect,am polite etc.etc. Also,without us under 50 etc. types spending here,how are the bars,restaurants,salons,travel agencies,hotels,condos,taxi drivers,etc. etc. gonna survive?

Thais don't care about your small savings that you spend here, no disrespect. They're looking for the big bang money. There logic: if you want to live here either work legally, retire here with lots of cash, or dump tons of money here creating a business or corporation. They want the upper hand. It's not xenophobic it's about control. Basically if you have enough cash, like anywhere, than visas, wp, legal docs, etc. are simple to obtain. They're just weeding out the small players. Time will tell if their new approach benefits or hurts the country.

Thaiman,

but who is gonna be lured to dump all this big money here,when the foreign business laws have ALSO clamped down(again in favor of...you guessed it..NOT the foreigner,even if he dumps tons of cash)..no one will invest in huge corporations if they have NO control of the company stock (ie: the 49/51 scheme) Control is one thing,but the anti foreigner attitude goes ALL the way down to the moto taxi guy on the street,and I may not have mega bucks,but I do spend ALOT here,break no laws,bother no one,always show respect,am polite etc.etc. Also,without us under 50 etc. types spending here,how are the bars,restaurants,salons,travel agencies,hotels,condos,taxi drivers,etc. etc. gonna survive?

Again Thai logic. I feel the Thais think (i stress "think") they are big time now and feel like they have clout in the world. They think like they got everything figured out. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out and how it effects the economy.

Yes, they are certainly anti foreigner, but hasn't that always been the case? The difference now is that they are not starving like they were 20-30 years ago. Back then they accepted us because our money put food in their mouths. Now, they don't need us to eat, only for a new mobile or ipod. Prosperity has twisted things up.

Again Thai logic. I feel the Thais think (i stress "think") they are big time now and feel like they have clout in the world. They think like they got everything figured out.

And I think you are thinking too much. Do you honestly believe that “the Thais”, ie the Thai population as a whole, has this delusion of grandeur?

--

Maestro

Again Thai logic. I feel the Thais think (i stress "think") they are big time now and feel like they have clout in the world. They think like they got everything figured out.

And I think you are thinking too much. Do you honestly believe that “the Thais”, ie the Thai population as a whole, has this delusion of grandeur?

--

Maestro

not all, but those in charge do.

I use the Los Angeles Thai Consulate, the place has always been open and friendly and I always see that same lady their who remembers me :o , but actually last time I was there was 1 year ago and they already had changed the rules so that I could buy ONLY 2 entries into Thailand, not 3..so we'll see if they tightened rules further but I'm hoping I can still get AT LEAST 1! I think the fact that they even have consulates in places like Denver and Houston should make them think twice before tightening tourist visa rules even further, I mean they are probably reliant on those TV fees to pay some of the bills for all these expensive consulates-the 1 in LA is on a prime peice of real estate near Hollywood..and have you seen the Thai Consulate in Shanghai..it's right there on Pudong next to the water..in the most expensive part of town in gorgeous building that Bangkok Bank also uses..when it comes to consulates the Thais go in style.

Pk,

Not sure,but I think our USA consulates are clampin down as well.Even Denver and Houston.

This past March they said no to non imm.type 'O" after last year issuing one no prob,but gave me a TR (triple entry tourist) and THAT was in March..now not sure,but it doesn't look good. I too was hoping to do the same thing as you.Go back ONCE a year...but It seems pointless not to mention PAENG MAK MAAK if we have to go back more often..and that bloody flight!! OI!!!

This is wonderful news. I have been hoping for this.

It means that more foreign visa applicants will have to go through the official Immigration departments in The Kingdom of Thailand.

Will mean improved vetting which will make it more difficult for terrorists, criminals, human traffickers, illegal workers and especialy economic refugees to enter Thailand.

A tourist is a tourist and should be treated as such. No tourist should need to stay in a foreign country for more than 6 months. Other foreigners that wish to stay long term in any particular foreign country, should be vetted and have to apply within the official immigration departments for reasons quoted above,

Better for my family that live here, better for us long-term residents who stay here legitimately.

Edited by distortedlink

One in every crowd.

Please let us know when they make a new rule that impacts you.

BTW, the consulates and embassies can certainly run security checks on the people applying for tourist visas, so your point besides being insensitive to many good people, doesn't make any sense.

Assuming Penang and other consulates are doing this latest crackdown, do people think this is a permanent change or just another case of Thai official moodiness that will pass. Because by stopping the tourist visas, it would now be impossible to live here long term without an O visa (also harder to get) using a combo of tourists, extensions, and 30 day stamps. When they introduced the day counting for 30 day stamps, officials were openly saying, its OK, you can still get tourists visas and stay here. We just want to check you out at an embassy/consulate.

Changed their minds, have they?

Edited by Jingthing

Assuming Penang and other consulates are doing this latest crackdown, do people think this is a permanent change or just another case of Thai official moodiness that will pass.

Well, looking at the two recent experiences reported here -- getting a fourth TV after having a warning stamp issued after the third, and the other getting a verbal warning from a visa agent without getting a warning stamp -- if it is an official policy, enforcement seems to be inconsistent, to say the least. I feel confident enough to go down there for my fourth later on this month, with the mindset that this may very well be the last. The uncertainty and hassles associated with staying here long-term are getting wearying.

I think the jury will still be out on this until we hear more on-the-ground experiences, including consistent issuing of warning stamps or even applications being turned down. I've been hearing from my visa agent in Penang since late June -- and read posts on this forum -- that there have been warning stamps issued *occasionally* and inconsistently after four or five in a row. But even now, seeing an actual stamp, the wording seems really wishy-washy: "may be". Why not just say, "Don't apply again," or, "Further applications will be denied"?

Because by stopping the tourist visas, it would now be impossible to live here long term without an O visa (also harder to get) using a combo of tourists, extensions, and 30 day stamps.

Well that's the thing: do the authorities want people living here long-term with anything less than an O visa or retirement visa or business visa?

When they introduced the day counting for 30 day stamps, officials were openly saying, its OK, you can still get tourists visas and stay here. We just want to check you out at an embassy/consulate.

If they did, it would be nice if they would publish an official policy. Even the Pattaya Today article that talked about the three-visa limit was based on something one of their visa agents told them. Their visa agent contact said three's the limit; my visa agent told me there would be no problem coming down for a fourth. Who knows what the real story is?

Wait and see, wait and see ...

Edited by CyberViking

One in every crowd.

Please let us know when they make a new rule that impacts you.

BTW, the consulates and embassies can certainly run security checks on the people applying for tourist visas, so your point besides being insensitive to many good people, doesn't make any sense.

Assuming Penang and other consulates are doing this latest crackdown, do people think this is a permanent change or just another case of Thai official moodiness that will pass. Because by stopping the tourist visas, it would now be impossible to live here long term without an O visa (also harder to get) using a combo of tourists, extensions, and 30 day stamps. When they introduced the day counting for 30 day stamps, officials were openly saying, its OK, you can still get tourists visas and stay here. We just want to check you out at an embassy/consulate.

I forsee a lot more falangs learning to speak Thai so that they can stay on that visa. In the long run, it probably would not be a bad thing anyway. If I stayed long term, I would probably take a class just to learn Thai. I have done that in China and can now speak passible Chinese. At least some people can understand my Chinese. Which is not much different from the native speakers, because I find that many times two different Chinese people cannot understand each other even when they both are speaking Mandarin.

Jim

But how to open a Thai bank account without a WP and Visa in the first place? :o

You open their front door, walk over to the clerk, give him/her your passport and a handwritten note (or hotel business card) with your current address and say you want to open an account.

Should take about 10-15 minutes, a few minutes more for activating the ATM card.

Don't forget to bring the 500 baht minimum deposit in cash.

All i have to say is not word from Sunbelt on this.

i trust them a lot more than any paper out of Pattaya,

lets wait and see if they give us their news tomorrow.

All i can assume is it would be 3 tourists visa/year otherwise they will lose tons of "real" tourists that come here once or twice a year

Edited by phuketrichard

I would love to hear Thailand's logic here. The thing I don't understand is do they really think foreigners are beating down the door to get paid here illegally in baht vs their home countries currency?

FWIW I just went to Cambodia to get my 3rd tourist visa this year figuring it would be nice and easy. They grilled me way harder than they did my past 2 times and it ended up taking 4 days total. The lady made me have proof of where I was staying (I have an apt) but couldn't prove it. I had to quick go find an internet cafe and book a room for 1 night for $2.47 and show her the confirmation. After that the "financial department" (person who opens the cash drawer and puts my $35 in?), was closed and I had to come back the next day and re-apply. When I got one in Amsterdam this summer it took <1hr.

I'm 23 and have more or less passive income coming in from the internet that I'd be making no matter what country I was in.

This is sorta a rant and I wholeheartedly agree I'm not a tourist, just someone who likes pumping money from my home country into the thai economy and don't see why there is not a visa for people like me.

I would love to hear Thailand's logic here. The thing I don't understand is do they really think foreigners are beating down the door to get paid here illegally in baht vs their home countries currency?

FWIW I just went to Cambodia to get my 3rd tourist visa this year figuring it would be nice and easy. They grilled me way harder than they did my past 2 times and it ended up taking 4 days total. The lady made me have proof of where I was staying (I have an apt) but couldn't prove it. I had to quick go find an internet cafe and book a room for 1 night for $2.47 and show her the confirmation. After that the "financial department" (person who opens the cash drawer and puts my $35 in?), was closed and I had to come back the next day and re-apply. When I got one in Amsterdam this summer it took <1hr.

I'm 23 and have more or less passive income coming in from the internet that I'd be making no matter what country I was in.

This is sorta a rant and I wholeheartedly agree I'm not a tourist, just someone who likes pumping money from my home country into the thai economy and don't see why there is not a visa for people like me.

There is a visa for you.

If you are the sort of person who already has a business as you quote and likes pumping money from your home country into the Thai economy and you are not a tourist, why dont you just use the official Thai Immigration system, apply for a non Immigrant visa and save yourself a load of hassle? Whats the problem?

Edited by powwow

Because they like to kiss a gift horse in the mouth! And they think no matter what they do, there will still be people clamoring to come here to spend money. They are probably right. Darn.

If I was running a country, I would design a special visa just for people like you. I would call it the cool dudes with money visa. Come on down.

Edited by Jingthing

Will mean improved vetting which will make it more difficult for terrorists, criminals, human traffickers, illegal workers and especialy economic refugees to enter Thailand.

Are you serious? The real criminals don't have a problem with this, and they don't do visa runs. They use something called "Money". If you have lots of it, you avoid lots of problems, and they usually have.

The real losers are those buying nice, expensive apartments here for their retirement, planning to spend most of their time in Thailand, travelling in and out to visit other places in the region. They can of course buy a retirement visa, but with the constant change of rules, who wants to tie up another 800,000 in this country? There's no guarantee whatsoever that they won't require 2 million next year, next month or next week.

OK so explain (legally) how the under 50s should do this..

I am retired (have been since late 20's) in my early 30's.. And with the exception of a private company that I have 0 faith in (elite) then I fail to see how people with loads of cash do have avenues made open to them.

Its easy to get round the laws.. But isnt the whole point about getting a real legal avenue open.

But how to open a Thai bank account without a WP and Visa in the first place? :o

You open their front door, walk over to the clerk, give him/her your passport and a handwritten note (or hotel business card) with your current address and say you want to open an account.

Should take about 10-15 minutes, a few minutes more for activating the ATM card.

Have you tried that lately ??

My buddy is just going through a messy breakup, because she knew his old account numbers she blocked his cards and for safetys sake he wanted new accounts.. As he works away he doesnt have a real visa as he is rarely incountry for long periods.. Many many many attempt later he was denied at all attempts.

My mother was here on a over 50's non imm O multiple.. took 2 goes to get an account there (where is her work permit.. shes retired.. still wanting a WP)..

As to Sunbelt making a comment;

There has to be an Offical note somewhere and I doubt that it is ONLY the Embassy in Penang that is limiting the 3 visas.

Still no one says is this 3 consectutive visas?

In how long a time period? 1 year, life of passport (for usa that's 10 years)

This would elimanate many real tourists from coming here and i can't see them doing that.

So far all we have is the Pattaya post. No offical word and no one has been refused yet.

But it does make it interesting.

what happens if you have 3 T visas in a row and they refuse you? Can u get a 30 day visa on arrival? Go to another country and apply? with a stamp saying "refused" I doubt any embassy would grant you a visa.

or are you persona non grata and marked so in your passport?

Many unanswered questions

Edited by phuketrichard

So you mean you work here illegally and dont pay any income tax in the country your a resident of ??

So you mean you work here illegally and dont pay any income tax in the country your a resident of ??

No LivinLOS you misunderstand the concept completely.

If he has a source of income derived from outside Thailand he is not working here illegally at all nor would he be required to pay income tax in Thailand.

Edited by MartinBKK

I would say anything that 'more or less' passive requires managing from here online (as he states).. Otherwise it would be a '100% passive' income.

"More or less" imples he has to manage it no ?? And so if he has to manage it from inside Thailand then what would you describe the work of managing it as ??

So now hes working inside Thailand to manage that income stream and its Thai sourced income.

I did basically that (above), walked in, showed my passport, gave them some cash, walked out about 15 minutes later with another bank account. No hassles, no one looked at my visa that i know of (they copied my passport front page but not the visa page)

This was at Bangkok bank in Phuket town about 2 weeks ago.

As long as i'm posting this info to hopefully help out others, I will give my 2 baht worth of opinion on why why why of all of this after reading through these 8 pages of comments:

I think it all started when that wacko american who claimed he killed the 6 year old girl in Boulder Co was caught teaching english in bangkok on a tourist visa. I believe this jerk got us all in this uproar and insecurity over our allowance to stay here in a beautiful country.

I've been travelling for about 18 years now and have had to jump through many hoops throughout that time. Ever since 9/11, these hoops have gotten higher and harder everywhere i go. I get grilled by customs more in my own country than ever in Thailand. I've had mostly all pleasant conversations and friendly immigration officers here in the LOS. I can't remember one of them smiling in my own country.

Good luck to those who are going to have to jump higher than before. I too am worried that they are going to raise the 800K requirement. I consider myself lucky that i am over 50 and can qualify.

I did basically that (above), walked in, showed my passport, gave them some cash, walked out about 15 minutes later with another bank account. No hassles, no one looked at my visa that i know of (they copied my passport front page but not the visa page)

BKK bank in Patong was one of the ones that denied him..

But do you have a non imm O (as per your over 50 comment) cos if so thats not the situation I mean, if they copied oit or not having a non imm O and being on retirement changes it..

Source: Pattaya Today October 1-15th Issue

Online at http://www.pattayatoday.net

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visa changes at Thai Penang consulate

News for visa runners & married men

The Royal Thai consulate general in Penang, Malaysia, has indicated that officers there will now limit applications

from foreigners applying to visit Thailand as tourists to just three 60 day visas. A travel agent in Penang, who handles

applications on a daily basis, said The consulate is now counting the number of times they have issued a single entry

60 day visa to an individual. The new limit is three and there will likely be a note in the applicants passport from now

on. This is not the first time there has been such a crackdown on repeat applications for tourist visas. The logic seems

to be that visit visas are not designed for foreigners seeking residency. It is argued that bona fide retirees with money

in the bank or pension income, foreigners working legally in the kingdom and those with Thai wives and dependants

can apply for one year visas at Thai immigration offices provided they have the requisite documentation and cash back

-up. The current squeeze seems to be aimed at long stay foreigners in Thailand who don't otherwise qualify for long

stay visas, typically men on limited incomes who rely on renewing their visa time and again at Cambodian border posts

or Thai consulates in nearby countries. Penang has recently grown in popularity as a visa haven and the town has a

growing number of bars catering for visa runners. This trend is now under threat after the recent ruling. Other Thai

consulates and embassies in the region are unlikely to offer more generous visa extensions than Penang. Those in

Cambodia, the Philippines, Laos and Singapore to name but four are known to be just as restrictive if not more so.

An official source said, There seems to be a progressive squeeze against foreign men with very limited resources

trying to live in Thailand. If they don't qualify for one year visas in Thailand, their options of going repeatedly to a

Cambodian border post (30 days on arrival) or getting numerous prior visas in Penang (60 days) are disappearing.

He added that he advised people in this situation to return to their home countries, usually in Europe, to obtain

multiple entry non immigrant visas which are valid for a year at a time. But we all know, he explained, that many can't

afford the trip or are reluctant to fly home in case they come to official attention at the airport.

Another consequence of visa squeezes is that some foreigners go into overstay in Thailand as they can't find a way

to renew cheaply. The number of arrests for visa overstayers in Pattaya is rising, but there are no published figures.

But there is better news from Penang for foreign men married to a Thai woman. They can now obtain a multiple entry

non immigrant "O" visa, valid for a year, provided they take 1. Their original passport (copy of ID page) and two passport

photos; 2. Signed copy of wife's Thai ID card; 3. Signed copy of marriage certificate signed by both parties

(original needs to be shown too); 4. Copy of personal Thai bank book showing at least 400,000 baht

(original also needs to be produced); 5. Confirmatory letter from bank, not more than one week old.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contributor's note: The Pattayatoday is a bit of a tabloid. The generalizations, the

haughty, offensive tone throughout. Quoting official sources who are never named.

Let's face it, Bangkok Post it's not. October 1st is the 1 year anniversary of the

changes so I guess the next few weeks will tell if this is just more bad news. :o

it seems that everyone talks about the old men with no money but what about the people under 50 with money. how do we get a visa. I have no problem putting any amount of money that they want in a thai bank. but as i am only 45 yrs old and was lucky enough to make good money in my home country, I am srewed. I am not working here, but i do put quite a bit of money in to the local economy.

Anybody with any ideas?

Not really a fan of marriage or even a fake one where she will have me by the b****. dictating what i do and what i buy for her or she goes to immiggration. no thanks seen that from other people.

BKK bank in Patong was one of the ones that denied him..

But do you have a non imm O (as per your over 50 comment) cos if so thats not the situation I mean, if they copied oit or not having a non imm O and being on retirement changes it..

Yes, i have a retirement visa, it's a non immigrant OA. But they didn't look past the first page.

I have 3 bank accounts now here in Thailand, and never had anyone question my opening any of them.

I'd like to know why they wouldn't give him one.

By the way, for those who said that they wouldn't put money in a Thai bank, check out the SET price on KBANK (kasikorn) it's up 20% in the past month! (plus there's a 2% interest on top of that) Unfortunately, i didnt' get in. Oh well, luck in some things, not in others.