Lao PDR - Visas, Residency Info.

technocracy

As I mentioned it in the 'where do you live outside of thailand' and the question was asked how do you get residency in the Lao PDR, I thought I'd just give a quick run down on the Lao visas.

Residency - The holy grail eh! Well this takes a long time! Upto 2 years! You need to have a Lao spouse and there is a war and peace document that needs to be completed, obviously totally in Lao! They need about 15 pictures . . . I kid you not . . . and this document completed, you buy the document for 10,000kip from the Police Head office in Vientiane (just down the road for the Oz embassy). Basically the document then gets passed around every conceiveable government official you can imagine and finally would end up on the Foreign Ministers desk for final approval. It's not easy but not impossible - costs - to be honest I can't remember but they aren't that high or excessive.

There aint much choice - when it comes to visas in the Lao PDR!

:o

Thanks. I'm the one that asked in the 'where do you live outside of thailand' post. Compared to Thailand it does seem much simpler. Always looking for a plan B. Living in a Roiet village, Laos wouldn't be a big change. Language, culture and environment pretty much the same.

:D Does the Lao PDR allow multiple wives? If not, plan B is out the window!

Just a thought . . .how could you miss Hong Kong off the list.

Im a fluent Cantonese speaker and everything and life is simple too .Get up. Go to the office.(this can sometimes be 6 days a week pending loading)

Go home. Pay 16.5% salary tax at the end of the year. Salaries paid on 13 or 14 month installments depending how weoll yoou get on with the boss. . .

The hongkonger

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone got the latest info on Lao tourist visas?

I'm waiting for a work permit, so have to survive on tourist visas till that comes through.

Currently I'm on my third (aat $30 a pop). Can I renew indefinitely, every 30 days, or is there a limit?

Can I get more than 30 days?

If not, can I extend my 30-day visa once in Vientiane?

Thanking you.

• 3 months later...
My friends always ask me to go along on the trip, but I haven't swung it yet. However, they say there are some farang settling up there - marrying local gals, building nice houses, etc.

Do it . . . you'll love it! :o

An update on the Residency side of things - I was told the other week by a family friend who arranges visas and such in Lao that residency now only take 6 months to process.

So it looks like my residency application might be made sooner rather than later! :D

I will apply for my residency in 3 years time, qualifications needed: fluency in Laos speaking,writing,reading. $3000 plus (depending who you know) residing in Laos for 10 years.

This is the official line on getting residency.

Again it depends on who you know or how deep your pockets are.

I've heard of numerous falangs settling in the more remote regions of Laos - I have to say whoever does it would be a stronger man than me! Although the ones I've heard of settling in Vang Vieng I can fully understand due to the tourist trade there and only 3 hours from Vientiane

You are talking about town with populations of no more than 50,000 people and have very very little in the way entertainment let alone shops or Internet for that matter. That said I really do like Xam Neua in the North East of Laos it has a really individual atmosphere - it's very much a one horse town having about 3 restaurants and the only shopping is the food market and an indoor market. It's also the minimum of 5 hours drive from any other towns - about 6 hours to Vietnam and 5 hours to Phonsavanh.

People think I am remote in Vientiane - but Vientiane is a thriving metropolis compare to the likes of Xam Neua and Phonsavanh etc.

Oh also for people who might be interested I now know people who can arrange a 12 month 'work' visa that is the equivalent of a spouse visa - the only rule attached is that you must leave Laos every month, but once you have the visa you don't need another. When I say leave Laos you can do a border run over to Nong Khai and come back you don't have to be out length of time.

Hi,

Do you know how much it costs to get a 12 month 'work' visa ? (and is it possible to get it without an official work ?)

The purpose for me is just to be able to go to Lao for few days every month without having to apply for a new visa every time I cross the border.

Thanks.

12 months business visa is $280. They are cutting down on unofficial workers due to large number of Africans over here last year raping locals,counterfieting money,smuggling drugs. I have heard it is very difficult now to get one without a job.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Currently on a retire4ment visa in Thailand. They are easy to get if you qualify.

What would I have to do to get a similar one in Lao and what would the cost be.

Also is it as easy as Thailand take all your paper work in and get it the same day.

Any idea as to the cost of living in Vientiane as to Chiang Mai?

• 1 month later...

I've heard of numerous falangs settling in the more remote regions of Laos - I have to say whoever does it would be a stronger man than me! Although the ones I've heard of settling in Vang Vieng I can fully understand due to the tourist trade there and only 3 hours from Vientiane

You are talking about town with populations of no more than 50,000 people and have very very little in the way entertainment let alone shops or Internet for that matter. That said I really do like Xam Neua in the North East of Laos it has a really individual atmosphere - it's very much a one horse town having about 3 restaurants and the only shopping is the food market and an indoor market. It's also the minimum of 5 hours drive from any other towns - about 6 hours to Vietnam and 5 hours to Phonsavanh.

People think I am remote in Vientiane - but Vientiane is a thriving metropolis compare to the likes of Xam Neua and Phonsavanh etc.

Oh also for people who might be interested I now know people who can arrange a 12 month 'work' visa that is the equivalent of a spouse visa - the only rule attached is that you must leave Laos every month, but once you have the visa you don't need another. When I say leave Laos you can do a border run over to Nong Khai and come back you don't have to be out length of time.

Hi,

Do you know how much it costs to get a 12 month 'work' visa ? (and is it possible to get it without an official work ?)

The purpose for me is just to be able to go to Lao for few days every month without having to apply for a new visa every time I cross the border.

Thanks.

12 months business visa is $280. They are cutting down on unofficial workers due to large number of Africans over here last year raping locals,counterfieting money,smuggling drugs. I have heard it is very difficult now to get one without a job.

No it's only 600 dollar. I know of 2 lawyers that can arrange it.

With the 280 one you have to leave every month but you don't ahve to wait for a visa on arrival everytime and don't pay any more than the 280. The 600 dollar working visa is valid for a year without the need to leave in between.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Thanks.

No it's only 600 dollar. I know of 2 lawyers that can arrange it.

With the 280 one you have to leave every month but you don't ahve to wait for a visa on arrival everytime and don't pay any more than the 280. The 600 dollar working visa is valid for a year without the need to leave in between.

Wrong, you don't have to leave the country every month if you have a business visa. It is valid for 1 year and on renewal you have to leave the country only if you change the company you work for. As for the 600 dollar working visa - Do you have to have a job to qualify? If so, I think you are being conned. If not, have you tried using it to re-enter the country?

I have seriously looked into retiring in Laos and after some serious research on the ground have reached the following conclusions.

Tourist visas and business visas (and perhaps married to a Lao) and if you legitimately are working there ...... are the only LEGAL ways for foreigners to live in Laos.

There are many ways to arrange visas to live there as many people are doing, but basically these ways require either/both bribery or lying.

One can pay a company to put you on their foreign employee list, but in reality if you aren't working, this is a lie and will probably catch up with you sooner or later.

One can also bribe their way into getting one-year multi-entry visas (tourist or Business).

Frankly with bribes one can get almost anything in Laos. The sky's the limit if one's pockets are deep enough. :)

Laos presently does not offer any retirement visas. Yes maybe they are thinking about this. But presently there is no retirement visa.

Presently foreigners in Laos cannot own land (similar to Thailand). Legal companies and Lao citizens can own land and so the foreigner can do the same shenanigans people do it Thailand to own land .... carrying the same risks. So far Laos has no laws about foreigners owning condos.

Former Lao citizens who now have foreign citizenship, now get some kind of special consideration for moving back and living in Laos. But this too (like most other "laws" in Laos) is vague and seems to be done on a case by case basis.

In any case, these are my conclusions as of mid 2011.

If one is only intending to live there for a year or two, the bribery and deception methods may work fine.

But if one is looking at the long term, at this time there doesn't appear to be any options (besides a real and "legal" job or setting up and operating a real business) that are legal.

I have seriously looked into retiring in Laos and after some serious research on the ground have reached the following conclusions.

Tourist visas and business visas (and perhaps married to a Lao) and if you legitimately are working there ...... are the only LEGAL ways for foreigners to live in Laos.

There are many ways to arrange visas to live there as many people are doing, but basically these ways require either/both bribery or lying.

One can pay a company to put you on their foreign employee list, but in reality if you aren't working, this is a lie and will probably catch up with you sooner or later.

One can also bribe their way into getting one-year multi-entry visas (tourist or Business).

Frankly with bribes one can get almost anything in Laos. The sky's the limit if one's pockets are deep enough. :)

Laos presently does not offer any retirement visas. Yes maybe they are thinking about this. But presently there is no retirement visa.

Presently foreigners in Laos cannot own land (similar to Thailand). Legal companies and Lao citizens can own land and so the foreigner can do the same shenanigans people do it Thailand to own land .... carrying the same risks. So far Laos has no laws about foreigners owning condos.

Former Lao citizens who now have foreign citizenship, now get some kind of special consideration for moving back and living in Laos. But this too (like most other "laws" in Laos) is vague and seems to be done on a case by case basis.

If one is only intending to live there for a year or two, the bribery and deception methods may work fine.

But if one is looking at the long term, at this time there doesn't appear to be any options (besides a real and "legal" job or setting up and operating a real business) that are legal.

Very accurate post.

Being married to a Laotian doesn't make any difference to visas.

If you have been living in Laos 10 years, are fluent in the language and pass a test on Lao culture you can also qualify to become a citizen, BUT the law says you have to relinquish (sp) your present nationality.

P.S The business visa has just risen from US$ 280 to US$ 348 a year :realangry:

I heard that the cost of a tourist visa extension in Laos is - $1 to $3 per day and can only be done in Vientiane is this correct?

It can be done in Luang Prabang too and the price is $2 per day.

What is the maximum time you can add to the 30 visa?

• 2 weeks later...

Very accurate post.

Being married to a Laotian doesn't make any difference to visas.

If you have been living in Laos 10 years, are fluent in the language and pass a test on Lao culture you can also qualify to become a citizen, BUT the law says you have to relinquish (sp) your present nationality.

P.S The business visa has just risen from US$ 280 to US$ 348 a year :realangry:

I just got one today for 280 dollar, although it is the kind where you have to leave once a month.

• 5 weeks later...

Visited the immigration office in Vientiane yesterday, looking for ways to extend a tourist visa.

Cost is US$2/day. You can extend for 30 days. If you want to extend again you can get another 10 days (or maybe it was 20, when I asked a second time she said 10).

After that you have to do a border run.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi yea "Double visa doesnt exist.. often i hear some people talking about that

but i went personally to get information and i know that it doesnt exist..

so if somebody talk about that know that it doenst exist.."

Thanks for the reply Technocracy.

I'll be entering Laos at the Friendship Bridge (I live in Udon), going straight to the airport and flying out to Hanoi the same day. Returning, it will be the same itinerary, only in reverse.

When I add up the cost plus the hassle factor. It is a lot easier to fly from Vientiane to Hanoi. If I flew out of Udon to Don Muang Airport, taxi, overnight in Bkk, taxi, new airport to Hanoi, return same thing...I figure it's two days travel, plus the hassle.

• 3 months later...

I'm reluctant to ask since it normally brings howls of abuse from the "All you need is a blanket, a bucket of mosquito infested water and a bowl of tasty parasites to be happy in paradise " but what kind of places can you get to live in re things like aircon, a decent bed, and hot water which are my basic minimums. I'm thinking about doing a one year escape from Singapore to see if i can actually write that book (another subject sure to bring heaps of abuse down upon me). I was looking at a one year retirement visa and rent for Thailand. But having read this i might look at Lao.

I'm reluctant to ask since it normally brings howls of abuse from the "All you need is a blanket, a bucket of mosquito infested water and a bowl of tasty parasites to be happy in paradise " but what kind of places can you get to live in re things like aircon, a decent bed, and hot water which are my basic minimums. I'm thinking about doing a one year escape from Singapore to see if i can actually write that book (another subject sure to bring heaps of abuse down upon me). I was looking at a one year retirement visa and rent for Thailand. But having read this i might look at Lao.

There isn't any such thing as a retirement visa for Laos. As for accomodation, it varies wildly depending on where you are. Vientiane basic place with small kitchen (not fitted) hot shower, 1 bedroom with aircon can be had for $150 a month but very hard to find.

• 3 months later...

technocrazy what are the paper work needed to apply for permanent residency?

Speak, read and write Lao fluently, test on Lao culture, US$3000 and been living permanently in Laos for the last 10 years.

• 1 month later...

Question for any Lao experts out there my latest wife is from nong khai born and bred both here parents where born in Laos

On my last trip to nong khai I came across alot of Lao working in nong khai they told me it was perfectly legal to live and work in nong khai as long as they where from vientiane as there's a special agreement I was also told this works the otherway round so nationals of nong khai can work and live in Vientiane anyone know if this is true

Question for any Lao experts out there my latest wife is from nong khai born and bred both here parents where born in Laos

On my last trip to nong khai I came across alot of Lao working in nong khai they told me it was perfectly legal to live and work in nong khai as long as they where from vientiane as there's a special agreement I was also told this works the otherway round so nationals of nong khai can work and live in Vientiane anyone know if this is true

Live and work there no, visit without passport yes. Nong Khai and Vientiane provinces have some sort of an agreement with each other.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Some of the advice in this thread is simply wrong. Whether that is because it is simply outdated or through uninformative posts is unclear to me. The posts from this thread that predate 2010 should be cut out as they are no longer relevant. $280 for a B2, visa people must be joking. The visa will cost you around $650 per year.

I am not sure about condos but I know that foreigners can own anything they build, and lease the land it is on. Making papers in Laos for business deals is pretty easy as they are lacking the sophistication of solicitors in the west. Be sure when you build anything for any reason you make it clear who paid, I have had problems for some of my tenants in the past with their Thai girlfriends. Move in with a Thai girl and you think you are golden but keep bank statements and get receipts for everything. You need to make your money trail very clear. they will side with the woman if you are not ruthless. Nothing is too small or petty to think about.

Permanent residency for foreigners, although as presented in this thread seems feasible, nobody here can think of one farang that has achieved this.

I would be very careful of any advice in this thread as it comes from only two foreigners that do not seem very well connected and most of the info is way out of date.

I live in the backwaters of Lao and if I had to make this move again, I would try it here for 6 months and not make any decision about anything including what I write now. Lol

I have had several guest houses and sort of bought more than a few pieces of land (obviously not in my name but good contracts that stipulate only i can buy, sell, lease or lend money from a bank) and have successfully leased some pieces out to foreigners with no trouble at all.

Stay away from the girls if you are not married, mind your manners and Laos is a good place.if you are gay than you are in luck as nothing here prohibits that.

In fairness I live in the 4,000 islands area which may be miles behind what they offer through special economic zones in the capital.

As far as Internet goes you can get a dongle and use it almost anywhere with speeds that go around 1mbps. I can download a 900 mb movie in about one and a half hours using 3G in the middle of nowhere.

The key to being successful here is to make your papers so that you can legislate for any eventuality that may come up. Want to buy land in your wife's name? That is great but make clauses in your contracts that you can change the executor any time you want. You can not actually own it but with a bit of clever paperwork you can protect your interests. Usually Lao people will say yes to just about anything so don't be shy in your demands in contracts. If they don't say yes than I would say no.

If anybody would like more info you can private message me and I will respond there.

Some of the advice in this thread is simply wrong. Whether that is because it is simply outdated or through uninformative posts is unclear to me. The posts from this thread that predate 2010 should be cut out as they are no longer relevant. $280 for a B2, visa people must be joking. The visa will cost you around $650 per year.

I am not sure about condos but I know that foreigners can own anything they build, and lease the land it is on. Making papers in Laos for business deals is pretty easy as they are lacking the sophistication of solicitors in the west. Be sure when you build anything for any reason you make it clear who paid, I have had problems for some of my tenants in the past with their Thai girlfriends. Move in with a Thai girl and you think you are golden but keep bank statements and get receipts for everything. You need to make your money trail very clear. they will side with the woman if you are not ruthless. Nothing is too small or petty to think about.

Permanent residency for foreigners, although as presented in this thread seems feasible, nobody here can think of one farang that has achieved this.

I would be very careful of any advice in this thread as it comes from only two foreigners that do not seem very well connected and most of the info is way out of date.

I live in the backwaters of Lao and if I had to make this move again, I would try it here for 6 months and not make any decision about anything including what I write now. Lol

I have had several guest houses and sort of bought more than a few pieces of land (obviously not in my name but good contracts that stipulate only i can buy, sell, lease or lend money from a bank) and have successfully leased some pieces out to foreigners with no trouble at all.

Stay away from the girls if you are not married, mind your manners and Laos is a good place.if you are gay than you are in luck as nothing here prohibits that.

In fairness I live in the 4,000 islands area which may be miles behind what they offer through special economic zones in the capital.

As far as Internet goes you can get a dongle and use it almost anywhere with speeds that go around 1mbps. I can download a 900 mb movie in about one and a half hours using 3G in the middle of nowhere.

The key to being successful here is to make your papers so that you can legislate for any eventuality that may come up. Want to buy land in your wife's name? That is great but make clauses in your contracts that you can change the executor any time you want. You can not actually own it but with a bit of clever paperwork you can protect your interests. Usually Lao people will say yes to just about anything so don't be shy in your demands in contracts. If they don't say yes than I would say no.

If anybody would like more info you can private message me and I will respond there.

Just last week I paid $286 US for my B2 multiple entry visa. This is the official price. My company processes the visa for me and I pay for it, as I am a consultant and not an employee.

If you are paying $650 a year, you are being scammed.

When I receive my receipt next month I will send you a copy if you have doubts about my honesty.

I know of 2 farang that are now permanent residents smile.png When you say 'nobody here' do you mean in your local village?

Just last week I paid $339 US for my B2 multiple entry visa. This is the official price. My company processes the visa for me and I pay for it, as I am a consultant and not an employee.

If you are paying $650 a year, you are being scammed.

When I receive my receipt next month I will send you a copy if you have doubts about my honesty.

Don't know why, but I cannot edit the other post. The actual price is $339US

Edited by lovelaos