New Requirement For Marriage Visa Extensions

Hello fellow farangs, married to a Thai,

We visited the Immigration Bureau on Thursday, Oct. 4, for my annual visa renewal. I'm an American expat, and I've been here several years now.

In addition to discovering that my 4x6 photo from last year (didn't realize it was the one I had used for my visa) was not acceptable, necessitating a run across the street to the lucky photo shop, we found out that the Bureau had just put a new requirement in place at the beginning of the week:

Four color photos are required:

- One Photo of the couple outside the place of residence, with the house number showing.

- Three photos of the couple inside, in different rooms of the house (or at least different views).

The immigration officer showed us an example, with two photos printed per page. So each image is a little less than half a portrait A4 page. These apparently were digital images printed out on glossy paper. She said that we had to supply these by Monday (the last day of my current visa period, no exception).

We explained that we live hours north upcountry, and that taking a trip back down would be a real hardship. The officer said that we could email them to a friend and have them bring the photos in to the desk of the officer. Apparently it isn't necessary for us to sign the printed photo pages, at least in this case.

I can't seem to find any info about this on the immigration website (trouble even getting the required doc info to display properly at the moment), so I can't confirm whether the bureau has updated their web info to make this new requirement official and clear.

Seems unfair to have to be surprised by this (glad we came a few days early), but such is to be expected I guess. :o

My memory of the photos is not clear right now, so I don't know if there is any size rule beyond fitting on the page. The officer was unsmiling and not speaking English, so it was hard for me to get clear on the situation. I had to rely on what my wife found out in the rushed end of the process.

Anyone else run into this situation?

UC

I guess I wasn't clear enough. This is a renewal of my marriage visa. I suppose we did this the first time a few years ago, but I don't recall.

Perhaps the immigration officer just didn't like us? Probably wouldn't be the first time an officer in a bad mood decided to impose something like this.

1. The 4x6cm photo must have been taken within six months of use. This is the rule and noticed they checked every photo this past June to make sure an old photo has not been used. So nothing different there.

2. Photos are normally required for family extension the first time but this year (recently) there seems to be a push to standardize and make sure all applicants have these. Not sure if it will be an annual thing or just this year is a big push.

3. Immigration web site has not been updated the last time I visited. If you are using Firefox you will have to open in IE tabs to get final pop ups to display.

Hi,

I can confirm that I had the same experience. The immigration lady said it was new rules and it was causing her just as much chaos as it was the applicants.

In addition to the photos, she wanted double copies of ALL associated documents even though she had them from the original application and when we've taken them again 'just in case' over the years.

When applying for my extension recently (Nonimm O, based on marriage, supported by income in Thailand) I was surprised in much the same way. First the immigration officer checked through the documents I had carefully assembled after extensive research. Then he checked his list of "optional" items to find something I hadn't brought with me. Then he requested the following: a photo of the happy couple in front of our home, a map to our home, a photo of my workplace building and a map to my workplace. After a 40 km drive back to the immigration office the next day with the requested documents, they were promptly discarded while the core set of documents was assembled to send off to Bangkok.

I go to the same immigration office every year, accompanied by my wife (herself a government employee). We are served by the same officers, and it always seems to be the same ridiculous game. There are a set of documented requirements known to everyone, and then a set of undocumented requirements that can be requested at the officer's discretion. Immigration seems determined to keep the undocumented requirements secret (and ever changing), and the officers' goal seems to be to make the process as difficult as possible. But I don't think it's just a game of torturing farang; all the Thai government offices I've visited seem to work this way, and the game is played just as enthusiastically with Thai clients.

Immigration seems determined to keep the undocumented requirements secret (and ever changing), and the officers' goal seems to be to make the process as difficult as possible. But I don't think it's just a game of torturing farang; all the Thai government offices I've visited seem to work this way, and the game is played just as enthusiastically with Thai clients.

I think it is all just to show who holds the power.

...Then he requested the following: a photo of the happy couple in front of our home, a map to our home, a photo of my workplace building and a map to my workplace. After a 40 km drive back to the immigration office the next day with the requested documents, they were promptly discarded while the core set of documents was assembled to send off to Bangkok.

Jeesh, I forgot about the map. My wife had to draw one by hand.

The interesting thing about the photo requirement is that it was known by an officer in another department we visited later. He apologized to us about the difficulty.

Sill, it could indeed be one of those new optional things. I still scratch my head about what we did to get possibly get on our officer's bad side. She didn't look like her day was starting out too well, so that could explain it.

Bureaucrats are the same everywhere, I guess.

I went for my first O visa app in august. I was given a 90 day visa and to get the full 1 year i need to go to immigration before the 90 day period with house and car photographs. We were told that is it to show i have the means to live here unaided. I didn't know this was a new thing as it was my first application, i just guessed it was the norm.

I suppose it means the laundry gets picked off the floor anyway!

I went for my first O visa app in august. I was given a 90 day visa and to get the full 1 year i need to go to immigration before the 90 day period with house and car photographs. We were told that is it to show i have the means to live here unaided. I didn't know this was a new thing as it was my first application, i just guessed it was the norm.

you mean we have to photo our car now? so what about if we do not own a car....a bicycle or motorbike?

you mean we have to photo our car now? so what about if we do not own a car....a bicycle or motorbike?

I guess it depends on the mood of the immigration officer regarding what pictures they want to see.

No car, bicycle or motorbike...... Take a pic of yourself on a little green bus. Transport is transport right?

No not new. But is is the old name for the extension of stay rather than visa for those having a Thai wife (and passport was stamped with that phrase). It is now covered with the family extension of stay provision of order 606.

I have a NON O thai wife that is expiring 2. nov. I was rejected an extension in Nong Khai because in addition to the letter from my embassy showing income of more than 40k/mnth, the wanted a bank book with at least 3 months deposit of this pension money. Does any body know if this is needed? And also - would it be worth the effort to try Bung Khan, Mukdahan or Chiang Mai?

Thanks

What is accepted as proof appears to be up to Immigration. Do not believe other offices will allow your application if living in the Nong Khai area. You can use below section of the new laws to obtain a 2 month extension if you have not yet used it.

7.23 In case of entering for

visiting a Thai wife /

husband or child.

The permission shall be

granted only one time with

the granted period not

exceeding 60 days.

I have a NON O thai wife that is expiring 2. nov. I was rejected an extension in Nong Khai because in addition to the letter from my embassy showing income of more than 40k/mnth, the wanted a bank book with at least 3 months deposit of this pension money.

Wow, that sucks. I've wondered what would happen in this circumstance. You said "rejected". Didn't they give you at least a 30 day extension to sort things out? The 90 day bank balance issue is relatively recent (not in effect last year at this time). You can combine your income with your wife's income. Did they tell you that?

What are your options?

I have a NON O thai wife that is expiring 2. nov. I was rejected an extension in Nong Khai because in addition to the letter from my embassy showing income of more than 40k/mnth, the wanted a bank book with at least 3 months deposit of this pension money. Does any body know if this is needed? And also - would it be worth the effort to try Bung Khan, Mukdahan or Chiang Mai?

Thanks

That's how they say Welcome in Thai, I guess.