Sizzler Rgp

wcr

About 6 months ago now I had the salad bar in Sizzler. That night I was ill, and had to go to see the doctor next day. I was sick on and off over a one month period with food poisoning and had to have different tablets to try to get rid of it. The doctor confirmed it was food poisoning, and after discussing it with the doctor she confirmed that all probabilities it was from the salad bar.

I haven't been back there since. However I am a fan of Sizzler salad bar and on Monday evening, myself an my partner entered Sizzler, eat food and had the salad bar. Next morning I am suffering with a bad stomach again. This time it lasts only 4 days, and no need for medication. But also my partner is affected with a bad stomach. Also a friend of mine who has now stopped going to Sizzler has compalined that everytime he went he always has a bad stomach.

Anyone else suffered the same fate?

About 6 months ago now I had the salad bar in Sizzler. That night I was ill, and had to go to see the doctor next day. I was sick on and off over a one month period with food poisoning and had to have different tablets to try to get rid of it. The doctor confirmed it was food poisoning, and after discussing it with the doctor she confirmed that all probabilities it was from the salad bar.

I haven't been back there since. However I am a fan of Sizzler salad bar and on Monday evening, myself an my partner entered Sizzler, eat food and had the salad bar. Next morning I am suffering with a bad stomach again. This time it lasts only 4 days, and no need for medication. But also my partner is affected with a bad stomach. Also a friend of mine who has now stopped going to Sizzler has compalined that everytime he went he always has a bad stomach.

my family and me eat there once a week and have had no problems, however i do need the feel to sleep after usually as i have stuffed myself to the brim :o

Bad luck 'wcr'. I think almost everyone gets some kind of gastro-intestinal complaint when living in Thailand. The hot weather and the local water contribute to this. Food quickly spoils, even in the best restaurants. I avoid salads unless I prepare them to my own standard and try to eat only hot foods at restaurants.

Meanwhile, persistant gastro-intestinal problems should be investigated by the medical profession. A stool sample can reveal much and antibiotics are not always the answer.

Edited by libya 115

We are always careful with friends from the UK/Europe who come to visit. Years in Asia seem to have exposed most of us to local bacteria so a level of tolerance seems to be present. Newbies to Asian...squirts a guarantee, even when eating exactly the same grub as an old hand.

Bad luck 'wcr'. I think almost everyone gets some kind of gastro-intestinal complaint when living in Thailand. The hot weather and the local water contribute to this. Food quickly spoils, even in the best restaurants. I avoid salads unless I prepare them to my own standard and try to eat only hot foods at restaurants.

Meanwhile, persistant gastro-intestinal problems should be investigated by the medical profession. A stool sample can reveal much and antibiotics are not always the answer.

About 6 months ago I banged my head against a brick wall and blood spurted out and I ended up in hospital

So last night I decided to bang ny head against the same brick wall and guess what? blood spurted out and I ended up in hospital again.

Sure I agree - a good idea - warn folks not to bang their heads against brick walls

But come on......

About 6 months ago I banged my head against a brick wall and blood spurted out and I ended up in hospital

So last night I decided to bang ny head against the same brick wall and guess what? blood spurted out and I ended up in hospital again.

Sure I agree - a good idea - warn folks not to bang their heads against brick walls

But come on......

Come on yourself! Thats a bit harsh. Just because I had one bout of food poisioning doesn't mean I am going to boycot a place forever. Everyone has off days. However, 2 times is too many times, so now I will not go back in. My partner BTW is Asian, not farang, and his stomach was upset too.

Previous thread on this about six months ago - said then, and again now, that my family used to like goiung there, but after a couple of bad experiences about 12-18 months ago, we no longer patronise this place.

Think it was WeHo threads on Sizzler.

Definitely something wrong with the hygiene on the salad bar - maybe because it is now open the RGP - whereas before there was a glass wall separating it from the hoi-polloi?

A stool sample usually reveals nothing unless its absolutely loaded. Its usually a waste of several hundred baht.

Nothing wrong with the hygiene at the salad bar.

They put a chemical on some of the food in the salad bar to keep it fresh, but it makes a small number of people with weak stomachs feel ill. Most people have no reaction at all. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I used to eat at Sizzler, with my Asian partner, about once a month. Both in Hua Hin and Chiang Mai, we never had a problem with the G.I. squirts, and we always enjoyed the salad bar. We only stopped going because the quality went down slightly and the cost went upward, including the discount card becoming nearly worthless. I thought they had one of the best salad bars in Thailand, and their beef was good, but the baked potato was sometimes overbaked. I'd often get sleepy, but beef does that to me.

It's just a Newbie complaint ... you'll be ok after a couple of years here :o

Naka.

How long is one a newbie?

I have been here 4.5 years, and my partner is Asian from neighboring country!!! We are both newbies???

No-one is immune to food poisoning and buffets are one of the best ways of getting it, especially in this climate. They are little more than bacteria farms....being "asian" or having a "cast iron stomach" is just not accurate ad doesn't actually exist.

A stool sample usually reveals nothing unless its absolutely loaded. Its usually a waste of several hundred baht.

But surely a stool sample (following an O & P test) can reveal many a disease.

I suffered from cryptospirosis (24 days on the toilet & weight loss 25kg) that was discovered with a stool test.................?????

They put a chemical on some of the food in the salad bar to keep it fresh, but it makes a small number of people with weak stomachs feel ill. Most people have no reaction at all. :D

that is the biggest load of tosh I ever heard :o , they spray the crops sure, but sizzler dont spray there salad bar.

I used to eat at Sizzler, with my Asian partner, about once a month. Both in Hua Hin and Chiang Mai, we never had a problem with the G.I. squirts, and we always enjoyed the salad bar. We only stopped going because the quality went down slightly and the cost went upward, including the discount card becoming nearly worthless. I thought they had one of the best salad bars in Thailand, and their beef was good, but the baked potato was sometimes overbaked. I'd often get sleepy, but beef does that to me.

I don't know if they've done this in all the Sizzlers, but my family and I went to the one in Major Sukhumvit - and lo and behold, the salad bar had changed - new stuff added, including clam chowder, and desserts were all in single portion glass bowls.

The clam chowder alone is cause enough for me to go back in the future, even if I skip the main meal. But I think the beef steaks suck... the chopped steak was fine though.

They put a chemical on some of the food in the salad bar to keep it fresh, but it makes a small number of people with weak stomachs feel ill. Most people have no reaction at all. :D

that is the biggest load of tosh I ever heard :o , they spray the crops sure, but sizzler dont spray there salad bar.

Absolutely...what as load of old tosh!

And what, pray, do you mean by "hygiene"???????????????

Absolutely...what as load of old tosh!

And what, pray, do you mean by "hygiene"???????????????

sizzler puts something in the salad dressing to make you full...for real...everytime i go there i feel unusually bloated and its not because of over eating...

I suffered from cryptospirosis (24 days on the toilet & weight loss 25kg) that was discovered with a stool test.................?????

hey Libya! where can i get some of these little buggers for a 12 day treatment? need to lose ~12kg to regain my correct "fighting weight".

I don't know the status of the law (or enforcement) in Thailand, but sulfites have been banned from being used on salad bars in America since 1986. The sulfites keep luttuce from turning brown, but cause diarrhea in some people and more serious problems for some asthmatics. It is still allowed to use sulfites on some foods, and I think some restaurant managers are tempted to keep the salad bar looking good.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m319..._v20/ai_4353819

"Many restaurant chains with salad bars said they were pleased with the recent federal ban on the use of sulfite preservatives on fresh fruits and vegetables, and some even said the ban should have been extended to more foods."

""Now it's not an issue. Now our customers don't need to ask us. It's law,' said Stacey James, director of menu development for Sizzler Restaurants, whose salad bars are a major feature of the chain and one of the most popular menu items."

Salad bars are just too dicey, so much so that experienced business travelers will usually avoid them even in 5 star hotels as it costs too much in down time if they get sick on a business trip.

The other one they will avoid is putting ice in their drink, no telling where it came from.

I don't know the status of the law (or enforcement) in Thailand, but sulfites have been banned from being used on salad bars in America since 1986. The sulfites keep luttuce from turning brown, but cause diarrhea in some people and more serious problems for some asthmatics. It is still allowed to use sulfites on some foods, and I think some restaurant managers are tempted to keep the salad bar looking good.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m319..._v20/ai_4353819

"Many restaurant chains with salad bars said they were pleased with the recent federal ban on the use of sulfite preservatives on fresh fruits and vegetables, and some even said the ban should have been extended to more foods."

""Now it's not an issue. Now our customers don't need to ask us. It's law,' said Stacey James, director of menu development for Sizzler Restaurants, whose salad bars are a major feature of the chain and one of the most popular menu items."

I told you so!

middlefinger emoticon!

Salad bars are just too dicey, so much so that experienced business travelers will usually avoid them even in 5 star hotels as it costs too much in down time if they get sick on a business trip.

The other one they will avoid is putting ice in their drink, no telling where it came from.

I am an experienced business traveler and I do exactly this. Most other travelers that I know live by this same rule. So far, I have not been very sick but I know many others (didn't follow the rule) that did experience serious down time. :o