Increase In Pollution At Mai Khao Beach

BillStickers

Does anyone know the origin of the scum that is floating on the sea at Mai Khao beach near Turtle Cove?

There is a greyish foam settling on the beach and today, there is also a strong smell which I cannot identify.

I am increasingly concerned about the amount of rubbish that accumulates along the whole of the beach as far as Nai Yang which is particularly bad near the airport.

Although the Marine Turtle Foundation clear the beach on a regular basis a similar amount of plastic bags, shoes, polystyrene foam etc is washed up the very next day after being cleared. Much more needs to be done particularly in this area as it is often promoted as prime nesting area for giant leatherbacks. I must admit that I have seen more dead turtles on that stretch of beach in the last four years than living ones. I'm sure that the money spent on the giant concrete eggs that have been put on the roadside leading to the 'Phuket Gateway' could have been put to better use along with similar projects.

Does anyone know the origin of the scum that is floating on the sea at Mai Khao beach near Turtle Cove?

There is a greyish foam settling on the beach and today, there is also a strong smell which I cannot identify.

I am increasingly concerned about the amount of rubbish that accumulates along the whole of the beach as far as Nai Yang which is particularly bad near the airport.

Although the Marine Turtle Foundation clear the beach on a regular basis a similar amount of plastic bags, shoes, polystyrene foam etc is washed up the very next day after being cleared. Much more needs to be done particularly in this area as it is often promoted as prime nesting area for giant leatherbacks. I must admit that I have seen more dead turtles on that stretch of beach in the last four years than living ones. I'm sure that the money spent on the giant concrete eggs that have been put on the roadside leading to the 'Phuket Gateway' could have been put to better use along with similar projects.

Such as on an advertising campaign "DO NOT LITTER"

I live near Nai Yang Beach and every year in low season the amount of rubbish that finishes up here is appalling. The local all do there bit in removing it but it all keeps coming back again.