Are YOU a social media 'voyeur'? People who browse but never like or comment are at risk of a serious mental health condition

CharlieH

image.png

• Never liking or commenting on social media is linked to anxiety disorder 
  • Passive users are less tolerable of unfamiliar situations because of social anxiety 

Browsing through social media but never liking or commenting on posts may be a sign of a mental health condition, a new study has revealed. 

Researchers at the Central China Normal University found that people who use platforms 'passively' are more likely suffer from social anxiety compared to people who use it actively - uploading posts and sharing life updates.

The team surveyed more than 500 college students on their mental health and social media use, finding that 'voyeurs' were more afraid of unfamiliar situations in their physical lives. 

The study, published in BMC Psychology, included 571 students from Shanxi Province and Hubei Province in China from May to July 2022.

The group completed questionnaires measuring openness, active and passive social media use, self-evaluation and social anxiety.

To measure openness, subjects were asked to rank a series of statements: one for strongly disagreed to four for strongly agreed.

These statements included: 'I see myself as someone who is inventive' and 'I see myself as someone who has an active imagination.'

The next measurement, active and passive social media use, was a nine-item questionnaire that asked how much they post, such as status updates, likes and comments. 

The study noted that 'active use refers to information-generating behaviors that enhance communication, such as posting status updates or comments.

FULL STORY

MAILONLINE.png

• Thumbs Up 1

In real danger that we may maintain our sanity.

13 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

The study, published in BMC Psychology, included 571 students from Shanxi Province and Hubei Province in China from May to July 2022.

Chinese students in remote China during pandemic lockdown.  Must be factual - it was published in The MailOnline.  

January 2019: as part of its feature designed to fight fake news, Microsoft Edge began to warn users against trusting MailOnline content, asserting that "this website generally fails to maintain basic standards of accuracy and accountability" and "has been forced to pay damages in numerous high-profile cases".

5 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

internet forums are bad for mental health.

since when do you start so many threads, CharlieH? got promoted or what? congrats.

certain redundancies needed to be streamlined for a more efficient service. 

• Haha 1

I treat social media much the same as people in real life.  Simply ignore, or try to, as don't have that much respect for mankind.  

Only good thing about social media, gives introverts an avenue to the outside world.  Those that can't deal with real people.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 1

I have seen several Thais I have lived with just randomly scrolling through posts and comments liking anything without even reading them. Why are u doing that? If I like their posts they like mine too. Social media, particularly Facebook is a world of unreality and BS. Unfortunately for many people it has become their reality. People see other couples "happy" posts and become depressed that their relationships / lives aren't like that. They don't consider they are only seeing the highlights...not the daily fights, near break ups etc. Thais particularly don't seem to be able to differentiate or take things with a grain of salt leading to an unhappy, unfulfilled life full of envy and jealousy. The internet is a great tool in many ways but has in my opinion become a monster. We were much better off without it

I participate in this forum, and maybe I leave a comment on YouTube or a news article.

Normally I don't use facebook or anything like that, except if I want to check out if a person is truthful, etc.

It's interesting how much information some people leave on facebook.

And if you know i.e. one girl in a bar and her fb page, just look at her friends and you have all the information about all the other girls.

Most of the time I don't care. But sometimes it is wonderful to get lots of information presented like that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2023 at 8:27 AM, CharlieH said:

Browsing through social media but never liking or commenting on posts may be a sign of a mental health condition

Maybe some people just have no interest in engaging and reacting to some of the mental health conditions on the internet.