Callan/walen Ed Visa

Re Chula and the high cost, I'm sure all language schools would work out cheaper! But I was put in the position of having to enroll as a student in order to remain in Thailand (under 50 year old problems etc). So I decided that if I had to study, then I might as well study at the best uni in Thailand. But it certainly isn't cheap, about 110,000 baht per term!!

Simon

Edited by simon43

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read the original post in this topic once more and have looked at the school's website. Under the link "Student Visa", the first paragraphs read as follows:
Student Visa

Students who enroll at our school in a one year course are eligible to apply for a one year non-immigrant ED visa. With this visa you do not have to leave Thailand every now and then but can stay here continually for one year. So you can enjoy studying Thai and at the same time not worry about making any visa runs.

How much does it cost?

Fee 29,500 Baht

If I want to be brutally honest I have to admit that I can understand how a reader of the above can be led to believe that the quoted fee of 29,500 Baht is for a "one year non-immigrant ED visa" and that with this "visa", ie with the money he pays for it, he will "not have to leave Thailand every now and then but can stay here continually for one year".

From explanations given in this thread by a representative of the school it has become clear that this not what the school intends to say, and the school may want to consider rewriting the web page in question.

--

Maestro

We will make it clearer on the website so there is no more confusion. Thanks for the constructive criticism

But what kind of (serious) language school would scream about '1 year ED visas' and 'no more visa runs' as the prime reason for joining the school or learning Thai?

Surely it's for education or to further your business skills.

Given the difficulties in understanding visa and extension issues – as witnessed by the discussions in this forum – I’d say it is helpful to give such information on the school’s site. The site looks well-structured to me, but as the school fees, study packages and lesson schedules are already listed under the links “Prices” and “Schedules”, where they belong, the revised page under “Student Visa” will perhaps limit itself to visa and extension information plus, to avoid any possible misunderstanding, a footnote indicating that visa and extension fees are not included in the school fee.

--

Maestro

...'no more visa runs' as the prime reason for joining the school or learning Thai?

Until October last year, a foreigner less than 50 years old, not married to a Thai, not employed in Thailand had the option of getting annual extensions based on certain types of investment of minimum 3 million Baht. With this option gone we have seen many posts of ThaiVisa members in that category desperately looking for an alternative way of staying long-time in Thailand with the least amount of hassle and they are routinely informed on this forum about this possibility of the non-Ed visa if studying Thai for at least four hours per week (200 hours per year)

For some people, the eligibility for a non-Ed visa with extensions may simply be an added bonus to their study of the Thai language and for others the visa/extension factor is indeed the prime reason. In the latter case I see it as an idle young and rich person being nudged into studying. Nothing wrong with that, certainly.

--

Maestro

...'no more visa runs' as the prime reason for joining the school or learning Thai?

In the latter case I see it as an idle young and rich person being nudged into studying. Nothing wrong with that, certainly.

--

Maestro

Being nudged into studying?

Its an excuse to stay in Thailand for most and has nothing to do with wanting to learn.

For those that do genuinely want to learn Thai...............great! For those looking for another reason to stay here and who complain about having to do 90 day extensions................tough.

...who complain about having to do 90 day extensions................tough.

I haven’t seen anyone complain. Have you?

The OP complained – not necessarily choosing the politest words, I grant – that he was mislead to believe that the school fee would also cover the cost of the extensions of stay.

The persons benefitting from this opportunity of visa extensions while studying are grateful for it, I believe. It is better than having to travel to a nearby country for a new tourist visa every three months, and gives them the chance to learn the Thai language, which they will find very useful, I’m sure.

--

Maestro

Regarding the ED visa, it is a one year visa, it is subject to extensions of 90 days starting from September 07. Students do not have to make any visa runs. Someone who says it is not a one year visa simpy does not understand Thai system, for example one year non-B visa means that you can stay here for a year but have to make a visa run every 90 days. Is that correct? With a one year ED visa obtained through our school students do not have to leave the country at all for one year. This visa can be renewed every year.

No, this is not correct. :D

I am here with Non-B and all I have to do is to extend my visa every year, based on my contract and that costs only THB1,900, no visa runs, no extensions at all, whatsoever.

Can you elaborate more, what you are talking about? :o

...for example one year non-B visa means that you can stay here for a year but have to make a visa run every 90 days. Is that correct?[/b][/color] With a one year ED visa obtained through our school students do not have to leave the country at all for one year. This visa can be renewed every year.
...I am here with Non-B and all I have to do is to extend my visa every year, based on my contract and that costs only THB1,900, no visa runs, no extensions at all, whatsoever.

Another one confused about visas and extensions! Let me translate it into the correct terminology:

Macwalen: “...one year non-B visa means that you can stay here for a year but have to make a visa run every 90 days”

Translation: With a multiple entry-non-B visa you can make an unlimited number of entries into Thailand for one year from the date of issue of the visa. On every entry, you receive permission to stay for 90 days. With a minimum of 4 border runs, you can stay in Thailand almost 15 months.

Macwalen: “With a one year ED visa obtained through our school students do not have to leave the country at all for one year. This visa can be renewed every year.”

Translation: With our confirmation of your enrolment you can get a single-entry non-Ed visa. Upon arrival in Thailand you are given permission to stay for 90 days and subsequently you can get extensions of stay for the duration of your enrolment. Currently, the immigration office gives extensions of 90 days at a time. Therefore, being enrolled for one year, you do not have to leave the country for one year. If at the end of the year you enrol again for another year you can continue to get 90-day extensions without the need to leave the country.

Ajarnmark: “I am here with Non-B”

Translation: I arrived in Thailand with a non-B visa and received permission to stay for 90 days.

Ajarnmark: “...all I have to do is to extend my visa every year”

Translation: All I have to do is apply for an extension of stay every year.

Ajarnmark: “...no visa runs, no extensions at all”

Translation: No border runs, just an application for extension of stay once a year.

--

Maestro

On one of Chulalongkorn University's webpages, they describe the process of

changing a TR, ผ.30, ผ.90 or Visa on Arrival to a Non-Immigrant "ED" visa.

http://www.inter.chula.ac.th/inter/interna...dents/frame.htm

(on the left-side menu, click on visa)

The application fee of 2,000 baht for the single-entry Non-Immigrant visa

appears the same but you would not have to leave the country. Maybe that's

only for full-time study. Even the private schools seem to have different

standards on required hours of study per week. Some 30 hours, others as

few as 4-6. Maestro's examples certainly help. Self explanatory it's not.

Edited by cali4995

I go to Payap in Chiang Mai. I'm in a BA program there so the rules for visas may be different. I already had a non-immigrate visa that was already extended twice when I started. It expired the first month I was there. Using the criteria for switching a non-immigrate ED, I applied and received a 1 year extension the same day I applied.

It makes me think, in this situation, to save money and time, get a 90 day visa and extend it for a year. The initial visa will cost you and the extension will cost you. After that, all you need to do is 90 day reporting (which is free).

When my 90 days is due, I go to Chiang Mai immigration and fill out a form and leave. It takes about 20 min.

Are you allowed to extend your visa after the original visa has run out but you are still within your entry stamp dates?

My current visa was issued on Sept 2005. It was for marriage. I extended it twice since then. Recently, in August 2007, it expired. The Thai immigration website has criteria for switching your visa from one criteria to another. I used the criteria for an ED visa and was issued my extension the same day I applied. Now I just do 90 day reporting.

The new rules only effect extensions of stay to learn Thai language. That doesnt include university students who are taking degree courses in other fields.

Simon, dont know why immigration told you that but people have been getting extensions while attending other unis for years.

True. I have an ED visa that I extend yearly at 1,900 baht. The 90 day reports are free. This is for a state university degree program though.

The subject is extension of stay for one year for study of Thai language. That is no longer possible. The maximum extension of stay is 90 days (at one time). Repeat extensions of stay for 90 days are possible.

The 2,000 baht change of visa is not required when you enter with a non immigrant visa - it is only required if you have a visa exempt or tourist visa entry as only the non immigrant visa entry can be extended for study by Immigration.

Extensions are of "stay" not visa - so yes you can extend your permitted to stay until date even if the visa date has expired.

In the Bangkok Post classifieds, Education & Training section. There are at

least ten Thai language schools, some offering ED visas for only a 3 month

period. so apparently, it's not necessary to pay for a year's worth of classes

in advance when you can only get visas/extensions in 90 day increments. :o

Regarding the ED visa, it is a one year visa, it is subject to extensions of 90 days starting from September 07. Students do not have to make any visa runs. Someone who says it is not a one year visa simpy does not understand Thai system, for example one year non-B visa means that you can stay here for a year but have to make a visa run every 90 days. Is that correct? With a one year ED visa obtained through our school students do not have to leave the country at all for one year. This visa can be renewed every year.

No, this is not correct. :D

I am here with Non-B and all I have to do is to extend my visa every year, based on my contract and that costs only THB1,900, no visa runs, no extensions at all, whatsoever.

Can you elaborate more, what you are talking about? :o

If you are talking about being on a contract, my understanding is that you have a work permit. If that is the case then I am also on a non-B visa for over 6 years then, and also do not have to make any visa runs and I extend it once a year for 1,900 Baht. If you just have a non-B visa without a work permit I find it very hard to believe that you can extend it for a full year. So do you have a work permit?

Mac Walen

As for the quality of the lesson I will comment(from my point of view) on that next week since I am planning to take a thai course and do abit of checking around at this point. Today I am going to take a free/test lesson at prolanguage. I will show up at walen early next week. What can tell you so far is that Walens prices is highly competitive.

...Even the private schools seem to have different standards on required hours of study per week. Some 30 hours, others as few as 4-6.

Obviously, it is up to each school what study packages to offer.

The required minimum of 4 hours per week (200 hours per year), I understand, is a requirement for the extension of stay for the reason to study the Thai language. The applicant for extension needs a confirmation letter from the school for the immigration office.

--

Maestro

I go to Payap in Chiang Mai. I'm in a BA program there so the rules for visas may be different. I already had a non-immigrate visa that was already extended twice when I started. It expired the first month I was there. Using the criteria for switching a non-immigrate ED, I applied and received a 1 year extension the same day I applied.

If a person wishing to study (Thai language or any other course) is already on an extension of stay for some reason, eg to live with Thai wife, for employment, for retirement, etc, he does not need to change to an extension for study, unless he has other reasons for wanting to do so such as avoid the requirements of financial evidence needed for other types of extension.

--

Maestro

If a person wishing to study (Thai language or any other course) is already on an extension of stay for some reason, eg to live with Thai wife, for employment, for retirement, etc, he does not need to change to an extension for study, unless he has other reasons for wanting to do so such as avoid the requirements of financial evidence needed for other types of extension.

This also means that if he is, for example, on a marriage extension he can continue to get one-year extensions of stay while studying Thai. He is not limited to 90-day extensions like a student studying Thai on an extension for study.

--

Maestro

If you are talking about being on a contract, my understanding is that you have a work permit. If that is the case then I am also on a non-B visa for over 6 years then, and also do not have to make any visa runs and I extend it once a year for 1,900 Baht. If you just have a non-B visa without a work permit I find it very hard to believe that you can extend it for a full year. So do you have a work permit?

Mac Walen

Of course I work here, so definitely, I have work permit, and yes I pay only for extension of stay for 1 year, no other costs.

Besides, if I decide to work in any country, I would never do it without legal formalities, so Thailand is no exception. I am here on Non-B and work permit. No visa runs, no payment after every 3 months. :o

Mac Walen

Of course I work here, so definitely, I have work permit, and yes I pay only for extension of stay for 1 year, no other costs.

Besides, if I decide to work in any country, I would never do it without legal formalities, so Thailand is no exception. I am here on Non-B and work permit. No visa runs, no payment after every 3 months. :o

Therefore you are not a regular non-B visa holder.

This has been a highly informative posting. I must admit I am a bit shame-faced after reading all the replies. I admit to being a bit hasty with my words and criticism. I especially thank Mac Walen for his resonse.

For me, the bottom line is truth in advertising. One year means one year. When I signed up for this course, I was given a total cost of 29,500 baht for a year's worth of courses. Along with this, I would receive a one year Ed visa which I knew I had to leave the country to obtain. No problem with that. The part that was not clear is the additional fees that I must now incur every 3 months (5700 baht) to make the Ed visa work out to one year.

To make things clear, Callan / Walen is offering a year's worth of Thai lessons and a one year Ed visa (renewable every 3 months in BKK) for a total cost of 35,200 baht. 29,500 baht of this must be paid up front to secure the necessary paperwork for the visa.

Is that so hard? I am not saying that Mac Walen is trying to trick anyone, but is it not obvious how misleading the original advertisement is?

To be fair (and this is arguable), since I paid for 1 year of classes and thus basicall signed a contract with Callan for that period, I should not be liable for any additonal costs that come around due to changes out of my control. Now, I don't think Callan needs to be solely responsible either, but as a minimum, this addtional 5700 Baht fee should be split evenly since neither party could foresee the Thai governement's actions (quite impossible!!). Isn't that the fairest thing to do?

Am I wrong about this? I appreciate your feedback.

The above seems fair. It is now no longer a one year renewable visa, but a three month renewable visa. It still seems quite good for those who need it because one doesn't need to leave the country, yet. Look how quickly they changed the rule from a one year payment to an every three months payment.

Edited by mbkudu