Callan/walen Ed Visa

Leon, the answer is YES, we guarantee 100% success in obtaining your visa. If not all the money back but no need to worry as it does not happen. A lot of student think like you about killing two birds with one stone, learning Thai and at the same time solving visa problems. For the record we have over a 1000 students on ED visas so there is no school in Thailand that has more experience in helping students with visas than Walen.

Looking forward to seeing your at our school.

Walen School of Thai

www.thaiwalen.com

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BREAKING NEWS.

Walen School of Thai as of 1st August has in Bangkok a new branch in Ladprao, in Elephant building. All students who are living close by and would prefer to learn in Ladprao instead of traveling to Sukhumvit are welcome to relocate to that location.

It is in tower B on the 16th floor. Our staff, Furn, has beed assigned to work there so you will see a familiar face.

Regards

Walen School of Thai

www.thaiwalen.com

I have seen many schools advertising the possibility of obtaining an ED visa(s) to study in Thailand for up to 5 years (some even advertise 10 years). However, after visiting their website(s), they claim that you can stay in Thailand and study Thai for up to 3 years (even though they are advertising 5 and/or 10 years on other sites).

So which is it? How long can someone really stay in Thailand on a diet of ED visas for the purpose of studying the Thai language? Are there any restrictions/limitations?

Thanks.

lopburi3-

Thank you for the information.

I am aware that single-entry Non-Immigrant (ED) visas currently require an extension at immigration every 90 days (at THB $1,900). However, I do not know how many times this can be done - say, in a lifetime? In other words, if I wanted to stay in Thailand (on Non-Immigrant ED visas) and study the Thai language until I was fluent (say, 8+ years), is this possible? -Or can I only do this for 3 years max?

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

We are pleased to inform that Walen School of Thai, Chiang Mai branch, as of 1st september is open for business! It took us 5 months of hard work to finish the job but students who study there will not be disappointed. We invite all for free demo lessons.

Walen School of Thai - Now in Chiang Mai!

www.thaiwalen.com

Congratulations on your opening.

Thank you Mario.

As a side note I also wanted to inform that in majority of cases we will be able to extend ED visas for 14 months for first time students. The price is still 27,900 Baht. We are trying to offer our courses cheaper and cheaper and still maintain the same quality of teaching.

Walen School of Thai - 14 month ED visa assistance for first time students!

www.thaiwalen.com

Edited by macwalen

• 2 weeks later...

It's about the right time to bump this thread.

I predict it will be one of the busiest threads over the next few weeks as tourist visa runners desperately look for alternative ways to stay in Thailand.

I believe they have opened up a new school in Pattaya.

MacWalen, if you still reading this forum, could you please answer some questions:

1. What is the exact location of your new school in Pattaya (so I can pay a visit)?

2. What is your current price for a year's tuition at your school? Do you have discounts if more than one person enrols?

3. What are the exact study requirements in order to get extensions of stay every 3 months?

4. What visa is required and how much will it cost? Could you explain the application process?

5. Is it possible to get a multiple entry education visa to save going to the Immigration office every 3 months for an extension?

6. Which local consulates are the best for obtaining an education visa (Vientiane, Penang etc)?

Thanking you in advance for an update.

1. What is the exact location of your new school in Pattaya (so I can pay a visit)?

We are located right across the road from Carefour in soi youme, go to our website and click on locations and you will see exact map.

2. What is your current price for a year's tuition at your school? Do you have discounts if more than one person enrols?

We charge 27,900 Baht for 14 months, if you have more than one person we would be happy to offer a discount. Do you think it is a fare price for 14 months visa plus 180 quality lessons?

3. What are the exact study requirements in order to get extensions of stay every 3 months?

4 lessons a week and a bit of homework, don't worry, we will take good care of you.

4. What visa is required and how much will it cost? Could you explain the application process?

It is all well explained on the website, please take time to read it, i do not want to paste and copy. Visa itself costs 2,000 Baht. Just to apply you need to bring just your passport and the fee, we will take care of the rest. We have a lot of practice so it will be quickly, maximum 30 min of your time.

5. Is it possible to get a multiple entry education visa to save going to the Immigration office every 3 months for an extension?

Yes, possible, but not in Laos of anywhere close to Thailand. You have a very good chance in a western country to obtain a multiple entry ED.

6. Which local consulates are the best for obtaining an education visa (Vientiane, Penang etc)?

All of them are ok, we never had any problems so you can decide which one is more convenient for you.

Thanking you in advance for an update.

We also have a school in Chiang Mai now for your information as well as a new one in Ladprao in Bangkok. students can move between those locations without any problems.

Hope it helps.

Walen School

Edited by macwalen

Hi Everyone

Purely by chance I was at the new Walen school in ChiangMai last week.

I didn't see any websites but spotted the school while having an ice cream at Svensens at Centrum Kat Suen Gew.

I had been looking for a new Thai school because

AUA only have one teacher work learning from, Boonmark (and they won't say who your teacher will be until the course starts so their courses are totally pot luck) ....... 10hrs (5 days) a week for 6 weeks 4500bht, using transliteration

YMCA only have pretty girls as teachers, but they do look very nice and all turn up in party frocks to teach, 6hrs (3 days) a week for 6 weeks 1800bht, using A DIFFERENT transliteration.

So Walen

9hrs (3 days) a week for 6 weeks 10000bht using Thai

I just walked in off the street with no former knowledge or information on the school.

I was given a price list and offered 1 weeks free lessons with no obligation to purchase anything apart from the course book (400bht). After a bit of a chat they then offered me an instant sample of about 15 mins which I accepted.

The boss came and sat in the sample lesson with me .......

The good points

No transliteration, straight into Thai language reading (which I can read but not understand, courtesy AUA + Karaoke)

Pronunciation corrected nicely (combination of boss + Thai lady teacher)

Brand new classrooms

Bad points

Thai lady clearly not a trained teacher (but then this was a freebee and I felt the boss was giving the girl training at the same time)

More than twice the cost of the other schools.

After the lesson, another chat with the boss man, I brought up the VISA issue as it was marked on the price leaflet. At no previous time did any staff member mention Visas ...... they were clearly selling me a language course ....... the boss said quite clearly it would cost 2000bht for the initial Visa then 1900bht to local immigration every 90 days.

First impressions

Nice friendly people, the boss was particularly helpful in every area I can think of.

Good but also very expensive, deep concerns that the staff maybe pretty girls and not qualified education professionals.

At this price I really wanted to see qualified teachers.

ChiangMai University offers a similar Visa course for 30k, also needs to be checked out.

PS

I am a qualified schoolteacher, degree in electronic engineering, postgraduate certificate in education, 10 years teaching in a UK secondary school.

KeyT, thanks for your opinion. I will not argue as the readers might say again that I am contradicting our student. This is how you feel about our school and that is OK. This forum helps to keep us accountable as no other school. If you have any specifics about mistakes in the book please point it out and we will analyze it and if this is indeed the case we will make corrections.

What was your main objective in coming to our school? Learning Thai or getting ED visa? I understand you do not have any problems with the way we handled your ED visa paperwork and extensions so at least this point is satisfying to you. Am I correct saying that?

I would be happy to see you in the classrom and what kind of student you are, we would be happy to offer extra assistance for your specific needs as we give guarantee on our lessons. If a lesson is in your opinion not worth your money tell us this and we will replace it with another. Of course Walen would like to know the reason.

Some people are taking their Thai course in a relaxed manner and this is their business. If they want to do book 1 for a year it is up to them, if you are not happy with their progress talk to them. We are not forcing students to move to the next book if they did not learn book 1 to their satisfaction. You did not hear of any students who made excellent progress or students who are saying good things about our school?

What about you? Can you mention any good points about our school or in your opinion Walen is a 100% failure?

I will talk about other points like not following the book with my teachers to make sure they do it. I am not able to be in every class all the time however when I have time I sit in lessons and observe. Comments like yours help us to provide better service because we strive to achieve 100% satisfaction although in practice it is not possible.

Now we have about 1,200 students using our ED visa assistance. You mentioned space, regarding space Walen is the biggest Thai school in the world. In Times square we have 16 classrooms, on the 3rd and 24th floor (did you know we have a school on the 24th floor?) And in the Elephant building we have 7 classrooms, in Pattaya we have 8 classrooms and in Chiang Mai we have 8. So total of 39 classrooms. They can sit 12 students each so at any given hour we can have 468 students learning. 1,200 students is far below our capacity.

Please talk to me at school in person, I am sure we can provide additional help with your studies so you can improve faster. No feelings hurt by your post. Glad you made your opinion known to the world.

Walen School - Our aim 100% satisfaction

www.thaiwalen.com

Edited by macwalen

KeyT, thanks for your opinion. I will not argue as the readers might say again that I am contradicting our student. This is how you feel about our school and that is OK. This forum helps to keep us accountable as no other school. If you have any specifics about mistakes in the book please point it out and we will analyze it and if this is indeed the case we will make corrections.

What was your main objective in coming to our school? Learning Thai or getting ED visa? I understand you do not have any problems with the way we handled your ED visa paperwork and extensions so at least this point is satisfying to you. Am I correct saying that?

I would be happy to see you in the classrom and what kind of student you are, we would be happy to offer extra assistance for your specific needs as we give guarantee on our lessons. If a lesson is in your opinion not worth your money tell us this and we will replace it with another. Of course Walen would like to know the reason.

Some people are taking their Thai course in a relaxed manner and this is their business. If they want to do book 1 for a year it is up to them, if you are not happy with their progress talk to them. We are not forcing students to move to the next book if they did not learn book 1 to their satisfaction. You did not hear of any students who made excellent progress or students who are saying good things about our school?

What about you? Can you mention any good points about our school or in your opinion Walen is a 100% failure?

I will talk about other points like not following the book with my teachers to make sure they do it. I am not able to be in every class all the time however when I have time I sit in lessons and observe. Comments like yours help us to provide better service because we strive to achieve 100% satisfaction although in practice it is not possible.

Now we have about 1,200 students using our ED visa assistance. You mentioned space, regarding space Walen is the biggest Thai school in the world. In Times square we have 16 classrooms, on the 3rd and 24th floor (did you know we have a school on the 24th floor?) And in the Elephant building we have 7 classrooms, in Pattaya we have 8 classrooms and in Chiang Mai we have 8. So total of 39 classrooms. They can sit 12 students each so at any given hour we can have 468 students learning. 1,200 students is far below our capacity.

Please talk to me at school in person, I am sure we can provide additional help with your studies so you can improve faster. No feelings hurt by your post. Glad you made your opinion known to the world.

www.thaiwalen.com

My main objective in coming to Walen is to learn Thai.I want to do my PhD next year and can only do it if I have my Thai language up to speed as I will be dealing with Thai Nationals in the course of my study.

Good points...

1. Its clean and tidy.

2.The reception staff are very helpful and efficient.

3. The reception staff are very tolerant.

4.I get to meet other Expats.

As far as serious language study goes....sorry there are not any points I can list.

Serious progress by students? I have spoken to a few people who say that they have progressed but only because they do a LOT of extra study outside the classroom.

I am also curious why your method insists on teaching in a style that is so unlike what a native Thai speaker talks.I have used some of your sentences in the street,in fact I have had Thai friends read your book and they nearly fell over laughing because Thai people dont speak like that. Mistakes have been pointed out to you and you have chosen to over look these.

And as a matter of point....all the things I listed in my previous post were facts not opinions.

Thank you for addressing my points.

Kindest Regards

• 2 weeks later...

To inform all the readers.

From the 1st of October the Walen school is offering a ED visa course for 24,960 Baht for 14 months. With it you will get 180 lessons.

To promote our method further we offer total risk free environment. You can attend our school free for a week! if you decide not to enroll you will not pay anything. If you decide to enroll you will pay for those lessons, and if not you have one week free at Walen and you can have a better opinion of our school.

1. Price 24,960 Baht
  2. Period of study 14 months with an Ed visa support
  3. Amount of lessons - 180
  4. Free demonstration for a week
  5. Totally risk free
  6. 4 centers, 2 in Bangkok, Sukhumvit and Ladprao, Pattaya and Chaing Mai

This is good price for Walen, also those who are not sure what to think about Walen can now try for free and not just rely on some negative opinions of those who do not like our school.

Walen School - An offer you can't refuse!

www.thaiwalen.com

www.thaiwalen.com

My main objective in coming to Walen is to learn Thai.I want to do my PhD next year and can only do it if I have my Thai language up to speed as I will be dealing with Thai Nationals in the course of my study.

Good points...

1. Its clean and tidy.

2.The reception staff are very helpful and efficient.

3. The reception staff are very tolerant.

4.I get to meet other Expats.

As far as serious language study goes....sorry there are not any points I can list.

Serious progress by students? I have spoken to a few people who say that they have progressed but only because they do a LOT of extra study outside the classroom.

I am also curious why your method insists on teaching in a style that is so unlike what a native Thai speaker talks.I have used some of your sentences in the street,in fact I have had Thai friends read your book and they nearly fell over laughing because Thai people dont speak like that. Mistakes have been pointed out to you and you have chosen to over look these.

And as a matter of point....all the things I listed in my previous post were facts not opinions.

Thank you for addressing my points.

Kindest Regards

I asked you for some specific examples of what is so wrong with the text of our method and what is so not Thai and what Thai people say so differently to what we teach. Can we please have some specifics or just generalizations? As a future PHD student you should not have a problem with that, is is very easy to criticize, I will say more, criticizing is the easiest job in the world.

Also are you familiar with the Callan Method? It is one of the most successful methods of teaching English but still there are a lot of critics. I do not expect everybody to embrace the Walen Method but at least when you make your points make them specific. General talk is not good enough if you want to contribute to the improvement of our school because when I want to make improvements I cannot do it based on general statements.

What field will you be doing your PHD in?

Walen School - lets analyze things

www.thaiwalen.com

Edited by macwalen

• 1 month later...

Another year and another annual Walen school party!

This year it will be in Sukhumvit soi 19 at the Bangkok Rocks Pub. Date is set for the 11th of December (Friday) starting at 9 pm till late. Those who came last year were not disappointed. Tickets are available at the school's reception. 190 baht only! 2 drinks, food, live music and games ( teachers are working on it, I don't know what games but should be fun).

If you are a present or former student you are invited to join! Don't miss it.

Walen School - all study and no fun is totally missing the point!

www.thaiwalen.com

• 2 weeks later...

Two things:

1. Dont forget about the student party on the 11th, this Friday in Soi 19, Bangkok Rocks.

2. We have finished full registration in Chiangmai and already have received first sets of letters from the Ministry of Education here approving our students to take courses at our Chiangmai branch! It took us 8 months, believe or not, and a lot of paperwork but it is done now. Took longer to register than to build the physical school. Walen students from Chiangmai school do not have to go to Bangkok to make extensions but can make them at the Chaingmai immigration!

Also the Chiangmai school is getting busier. We have now courses for book 1 and 2. Still offering free demonstration lessons so please try us, maybe we are exactly what you are looking for!

Walen School - thank you for your support!

www.thaiwalen.com

• 3 months later...

From time to time I see something interesting checking students ED visas, this time I thought this was very interesting. We have a case of a student from Burma who twice applied for ED visas multiple entry in US in Florida and year after year has obtained it without any problems. This is a good example of back to back ED multiple entry visas.

Actual visas in the attachments.

Walen School - ED visa specialists.

www.thaiwalen.com

post-46756-1268390444_thumb.jpg

post-46756-1268390485_thumb.jpg

Edited by macwalen