Callan/walen Ed Visa

I see the latest Walen advertisements in the Bangkok Post are now claiming

3 year ED visa 29.5k. Strange how principles of truth, fairness and clarity of

statement only apply to everyone else. Integrity compromised, a sad thing. :o

29.5K is not for the visa Khun Cali, it is for a one year course. 3 year ED visa means that students can legally study Thai for 3 years and for the duration of their studies they can renew their visas. The ad space is limited so we cannot write long explanations in the Bangkok Post. No matter what we do we will never be able to please you, but there are many people who are very happy with our school. Tomorrow you will think of another reason to attack Walen school. On the 1st of February we start advertising on the skytrain and I will be surprised if you do not come with some critical comments about our ad. Maybe the colour will not be right, or the font or maybe pictures.

We are opening a branch of our school in Pattaya very soon so you will have another reason to write something negative. Come to our school for a coffee, see our school, meet our teachers, asked you to this already long time ago and you will see for yourself. Maybe we are not as bad as you think. Anyway have a good evening Khun Cali.

Walen School, Mac

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're interested in going this route. Ask for a written guarantee. Stating that you will get

a full refund of course fees if you are not able to obtain the ED visa and the (3) subsequent

necessary extensions. If everyone is so sure Immigration and the M.O.E. will never make

revisions to this system. In particular the 4 hours per week minimum study requirement.

I'd also want a copy of the proprietor's passport data page. Since he wants a year's payment

up front. If he's so sure of himself. It's extremely naive to think this will never come under

closer examination, particularly with it increasingly being used as an alternative for work permit.

These themes have been played out before here and they don't end well. You've been warned.

If you're interested in going this route. Ask for a written guarantee. Stating that you will get

a full refund of course fees if you are not able to obtain the ED visa and the (3) subsequent

necessary extensions. If everyone is so sure Immigration and the M.O.E. will never make

revisions to this system. In particular the 4 hours per week minimum study requirement.

I'd also want a copy of the proprietor's passport data page. Since he wants a year's payment

up front. If he's so sure of himself. It's extremely naive to think this will never come under

closer examination, particularly with it increasingly being used as an alternative for work permit.

These themes have been played out before here and they don't end well. You've been warned.

That's an easy problem to solve. Go for a 1-year multiple-entry ED visa which will guarantee 15 months and no further paper work will be required.

Who told you Khun Cali that ED visa is an alternative to a WP? Must be your own conclusion. What themes have been played before? You are not explaining things clearly, if somebody is a legitimate student at a legitimate school why would that be a problem? Also you might be surprised but there aren't thousands of people enrolling at language schools to study Thai just to get the visa.Those who do also want to learn Thai and out of all the foreigners staying in Thailand only a small fraction is on ED visas.

Walen School

I would also like to voice my opinion about Thai Walen. I recently obtained my 'ED' visa through them and have looked extensively into their teaching methods before making the choice. I would also like to add that I'm a qualified English tecaher and have been working as an EFL teacher for over 8 years so I'm quite familiar with what could be termed as an ' effective teaching method' and what isn't.

Throughout the process of obtaining my 'ED' visa through Walen I have found them to be extermely helpful, professional and very pro-active. They were always very informative and friendly and went out of their way to accommodate my repeated questions and made sure I understood the whole process before paying the fees.

And although I haven't yet started classes (starting next month), I believe (from observing and learning about their teaching methods) that it's a indeed one of the most effective ways of learning Thai (especially with learning how to read from day one which does wonders for correct pronunciation).

The rules for the 'ED' visa were unexpectedly changed (like many other visas) in September last year which meant that renewals of the visa every 3 months are now needed. This is no fault of Thai Walen or anyone else for that matter.

With regards to the cost, take any other visa that's currently available to Farangs and you will find that the 'ED' visa is still one of the most cost effective visas you can obtain. Especially when considering that you also get Thai tuition for the cost. A non- immigrant B visa and a work permit for example is likely to cost you about 20000 baht if you go through one of the companies that offer assistance with the paperwork (which is what mpst people do). Not to mention the on-going accounting and legal fees.

So keep it up Thai Walen, you're doing a great job. You can never make everyone happy. There's always going to be someone whinging about something and it's usually those that are bitter about life in general.

<flame removed>

You're an authority on the method but you've yet to take a single class?

29.5k baht is only for 180 50 minute lessons. Even you don't seem to understand it?

We get an awful lot of "very new" members endorsing the school. When people

have some kind of history, at least you can weigh their opinion. It's taken months

to get all the facts out about this "visa system". It shouldn't have been that difficult.

Edited by Maestro
Removed flame - Maestro

Mac, you do whatever you want. I've attempted to play devil's advocate just to

get a little more balanced presentation of the facts. It may not have been the

architect's original design, but when you allow people to study only 3-4 hours

per week, I think you open the door to all manner of intentions.

As you're obviously an extremely intelligent businessman, I'm sure you're well

aware of that fact. I guess only time will tell if you're leading the flock astray.

<flame removed>

You're an authority on the method but you've yet to take a single class?

29.5k baht is only for 180 50 minute lessons. Even you don't seem to understand it?

We get an awful lot of "very new" members endorsing the school. When people

have some kind of history, at least you can weigh their opinion. It's taken months

to get all the facts out about this "visa system". It shouldn't have been that difficult.

Like I said, some people are just generally bitter about life and can't even respect others' opinion and have to resort to petty spelling errors in an attempt to persuade....

ssinlos, You're the one who wants to work illegally. If placing yourself in such a vulnerable position

is your "stance" your "opinion" that's fine but I'm not sure if you can demand respect for it.

The key difference between this type of business and many others is that quite a few people stand

to go down the tubes if it folds. If you think it's okay to run this sort of enterprise like a used-car lot,

with blazing advertisements and half-truth slogans and immigration or the M.O.E. will never even

think to question what's going on that's your entitlement. I'd rather not see so many people burned.

Mac, you do whatever you want. I've attempted to play devil's advocate just to

get a little more balanced presentation of the facts. It may not have been the

architect's original design, but when you allow people to study only 3-4 hours

per week, I think you open the door to all manner of intentions.

As you're obviously an extremely intelligent businessman, I'm sure you're well

aware of that fact. I guess only time will tell if you're leading the flock astray.

Cali, you've been at Walen's throat now for a long time. I'm surprised they haven't banned you yet for your continued negative comments about a ThaiVisa sponsor. You really should give it a miss.

There's not many people who would pay 30k plus the cost of extensions (5,700) to stay in Thailand for one year...and they would still have to qualify for attendence in order to acquire the necessary paperwork to get their extensions.

By the way you're carrying on, I wouldn't be surprised if you run a Thai language school yourself and you're trying to sabotage the Walen School.

Actually, I have been suspended a few times. No, I don't run a language school.

I would be perfectly happy to let the thread die but inevitably, Mac or one of the

visa-factory minions must come on with a bogus testimonial to bring the thread

front and center. I don't think being a sponsor means that you should monopolize

multiple threads with your self promoting plugs. No-one else does it. Attendance?

I doubt if it's difficult to go 3-4 hours a week. And you think they keep records?

Actually, I have been suspended a few times. No, I don't run a language school.

I would be perfectly happy to let the thread die but inevitably, Mac or one of the

visa-factory minions must come on with a bogus testimonial to bring the thread

front and center. I don't think being a sponsor means that you should monopolize

multiple threads with your self promoting plugs. No-one else does it. Attendance?

I doubt if it's difficult to go 3-4 hours a week. And you think they keep records?

One of the main reasons why MacWalen has been so active on this thread is to dispel so many negative comments from you. They pay to promote their school on this forum so it should be expected that they're going to work hard to dispel any negative comments. I would too if I was in their postion.

Paying 29.5k plus 1,900 x 3 plus attending a language school for 3-4 hours a week is way too much for someone just wanting to stay in Thailand and not interested in learning Thai.

This thread is titled "calen/walen Ed visa" so how could they be accused of monopolizing it? One would certainly expect information about the Walen school on a thread by the same name would they not? I think MacWalen is doing a fine job answering queries about his school on this thread.

PS. Posts on this thread: Cali = 29, MacWalen = 40

Edited by tropo

I find it quite interesting that of the plethora of thai language schools available to foreigners here, NOT one has come under the all too often critical scrutiny that the Callan/Walen School has been subjected to.

I also have NEVER seen a single thread posted by an owner of any of those schools; yet all of them to a school offer the ED visa 'assistance' on their websites.

In his (in)finite wisdom the ‘designated champion of underachievers’; cali4995 will just not let it go. Is it too difficult to accept it is a language school which offers visa assistance not a visa service which offers language assistance?

I find it quite interesting that of the plethora of thai language schools available to foreigners here, NOT one has come under the all too often critical scrutiny that the Callan/Walen School has been subjected to.

I also have NEVER seen a single thread posted by an owner of any of those schools; yet all of them to a school offer the ED visa 'assistance' on their websites.

In his (in)finite wisdom the ‘designated champion of underachievers’; cali4995 will just not let it go. Is it too difficult to accept it is a language school which offers visa assistance not a visa service which offers language assistance?

Actually MacWalen didn't start this thread. A disgruntled person had some bad comments to make about the school and MacWalen was only doing what is reasonable and defending his business.

The OP was upset about paying for the 90 days extensions...that's how this all started.

Edited by tropo

We have been offering a promotion price this month 28,400 Baht for a one year course. Hope this is good news. Also afternoon class is now available Mon-Wed-Fri 13.00-15.50. Weekend class is coming soon so more choices for our students. Cali has improved, perhaps a new year's resolution to be nice to people which is a good change.

Walen School, Mac

Hawkup200 "If you get 1 year for 28.500 B the total sum of one year will be:28.500tuitionfee,edvisa total costs 8000 B, extentions 3*1,900 =42200 B Please correct me if I have missed something."

Normally with our school at this time it should be:

28,400 Baht Fee

2,000 Baht single entry ED visa (in Laos and Malaysia)

5,700 Baht (3 extensions in the country)

Total one year 36,100 Baht (including all government charges)

Average/month 3,008 Baht (including all government charges)

I think not much more expensive than making visa runs and you get to study Thai for 180 lessons.

I cannot comment on other schools, they do it for 9 months or whatever. With the Walen school that is what it will cost you a year.

Walen School, Mac

Don't know about any 'promotion', I use Ad-Block, thank heavens, but to assist, AFAIK all registered language schools are only allowed to apply for up to 3 -1 year Ed visas - for a student, however, registered universities are able to apply for longer periods.

Regards

Edited by A_Traveller

Update coming soon!

You may not know that we actually have two schools registered in Times Square, one on the 3rd floor and another on the 24th floor so although 1 company we operate two schools with separate registrations.

In most cases we could extend study period to 5 years.

Walen School, Mac

Update coming soon!

You may not know that we actually have two schools registered in Times Square, one on the 3rd floor and another on the 24th floor so although 1 company we operate two schools with separate registrations.

In most cases we could extend study period to 5 years.

Walen School, Mac

I was looking at the official Callan Method website the other day and I made a rather interesting discovery, I could not find your school listed there. As it used to be proudly lsted on www.callan.co.uk until very recently, I was wondering if you could please explain this sudden and apparent removal.

Do you remember the case of a student who got only one month multiple ED from Sydney? We tried to fix it at the local immigration but it was not possible. Now something positive to say about the visa system, as the mistake was obvious the student in question sent his passport back to Sydney and they fixed it!!!

So it was supposed to be one year non ED, they adjusted the date so it is one year now. If you have a similar problem in the future just call the consulate in question and they should be able to fix it for you, of course it is much better to check your visa before you leave a consulate to make sure it is what it should be.

It also shows that sending your passport away is acceptable in such a case.

Walen School, Mac

post-46756-1203316519_thumb.jpg

post-46756-1203316535_thumb.jpg

WOW admitting sending a passport outside of Thailand to get a new visa.. I am gobsmacked.

Highly illegal and very interesting.. I mean we all know it can be done, but the risks involved even in correcting a mistake seem amazingly high. the law states that the applicant has to be outside of Thailand for any visa application, this is clearly a new visa and hence illgal and invalid according to the law. Which consul did this ?? Sydney ??

Its a different visa number.. Would that not mean a new visa ?? They appear to have cancelled one visa number and issued a new one.

Isnt that the very consensus of what is not legal ?? Getting a new visa (whatever the mistake) from inside Thailand ??

Still notso hotso at the old clarification thing !!

And the link you make is also still bending the truth. "Students who register for 180 lessons and pay the full tuition fee of 28,500 baht/course will be eligible for a 1 year ED Visa." is the very first line.. I say thats not true. Local consuls in SE Asia will not give a one year ED visa.

Perhaps a 3 month visa and then possibly future extensions, as long as no more rules change.

This post has been edited by LivinLOS: Today, 2008-02-20 18:53:56

LivinLOS, have a look at this visa below, is this not one year visa? I think it is. So it is possible to get one year ED visa, multiple entry in SE.

Walen School, Mac

post-46756-1203510906_thumb.jpg

post-46756-1203510945_thumb.jpg

So I can just pop down to Penang and get one can I ?? You will guarantee it ??

I strongly suspect can get a one year ED from the UK simple as asking.. without any of your paperwork.. But thats just friendly consuls not the actual rules.

Wrong thread by the way.. Quote was from elsewhere.

EDIT :: just checked.. They will issue one for any course of study.. Scuba diving is even explicitly stated.. But I doubt somehow thats what an embassy or Penang etc would agree with.

Edited by LivinLOS