Callan/walen Ed Visa

Hawkup200 "If you get 1 year for 28.500 B the total sum of one year will be:28.500tuitionfee,edvisa total costs 8000 B, extentions 3*1,900 =42200 B Please correct me if I have missed something."

Normally with our school at this time it should be:

28,400 Baht Fee

2,000 Baht single entry ED visa (in Laos and Malaysia)

5,700 Baht (3 extensions in the country)

Total one year 36,100 Baht (including all government charges)

Average/month 3,008 Baht (including all government charges)

I think not much more expensive than making visa runs and you get to study Thai for 180 lessons.

I cannot comment on other schools, they do it for 9 months or whatever. With the Walen school that is what it will cost you a year.

Walen School, Mac

I was just going to quote you and then I realized at the bottom of your post that you said you cannot comment on other schools. Thus, has anyone tried AUA? I looked through a considerable portion of this thread and couldn't find anything on AUA Bangkok. They offer Thai language courses using their special learning method. The cost of the course is much more expensive though. You have to pay 150 baht per hour for less than 30 hours per week, which is what you do for the first three months on an ED visa (15 hours per week). Then you pay 102 baht per hour for 30 hours per week (minimum to get the one year student visa). You also get a discount if you pay up front for 200 hours. 17,952 baht after 12% discount (102*200 hours=20,400). They offer this discount because they fear people will not show up after they enroll, and especially will not show up after they get granted their visas. They did say they will give an ED visa, which is good for three months, and then if you keep coming, then they can do paperwork for you for a Student Visa, which they say is good for one year.

Sorry if this post is out of topic, but I think it just pays to comparison shop. If one were to take the AUA option, it would translate to a much higher cost for one year than the Walen option...but would you have a better chance at getting your visa would be my question.

Edited by Shuddee

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look around on the THai language forum you'll see that most students that studied at AUA (in BKK) didn't like their method. Some even called it a waist of time.

There are MANY other schools in BKK that are much cheaper per hour (around 100B/hour or less) than Walen, but they require you to study much more hours per week.

So, if you're studying to obtain a visa, Walen is one of the cheapest solutions.

If you are studying and you want to have a good hourly rate, Walen and Pro language are rather expensive.

PS. The schools with a low hourly rate (around 100 B/hour) are not necessarily less good. On the contrary many of them have many students that can pass P.6 exam. You can ask Mac Walen how many students of their school passed P.6, the results just came out (so you can compare).

Edited by kriswillems

i sent two emails but no replies :o they didnt bounce either :D

my questions were, if they teach at home they will still process visa or need to physically attend a class, and what the minimum amount of hours were for the ED visa if taught at home, and if could convert O to ED in BKK immigration (i supsect not but still I am not sure)

I have replied to your email on the 13th and u sent yours on the 11th, I did apologize for the delay.

Copy of my reply.

Hi (removed),

Sorry for getting back to you a little late.

Yes, this is possible and it would qualify for the ED visa but as private lessons are more expensive the cost would be higher than lessons in a group. Also your location as this is an additional cost. You would need to study 4 lessons a week total of 180 lessons.

It is possible go get a multi entry ED visa but not from every consulate, from our experience Laos and Malaysia are still issuing multi entry visas. If you had private lessons then yes, it is very flexible.

We can adjust the level of study to your ability so if you are at a higher level you would study more difficult work. If you have any more questions just let me know, also if you would like to call me here is my number 0817111900.

Kind regards, Mac

Sent: Monday, February 11, 2008 4:08 PM

To: [email protected]

Subject: Fw: private tuition

----- Original Message -----

To: [email protected]

Sent: Monday, February 11, 2008 3:53 PM

Subject: private tuition

Hi!

I was interested to know if private language tuition at home with you would still grant eligibility for an ED visa. I heard that immigration officials occasionally check schools for headcounts to make sure that students are attending lessons, but if the lessons are private at home - what happens? And what would be the minimum amount of lessons per week to qualify for the ED visa? Is an ED visa multiple entry - so that I could leave and re-enter Thailand as many times in the 1 year as I wanted? And the lessons are flexible timing (say double lessons one week then none the next?)

Also, my Thai is not at beginner level, I have basic read/writing skills and my speaking/listening is ok - I would not want to start learning from the beginning again - it is possible to start lessons from whatever ability I am currently at?

Thanks in advance for answering my many questions :o

Best Regards,

(removed)

Please check your email again as it should be in your inbox, check your spam as it might go there too.Walen School, Mac

I have no gripe with MacWalen and Walen school and can't find any fault in his responses. I however chose to go to a different school for a simple reason. I am well beyond the beginner stage of Thai learning and I could not find conclusive proof that Walen school is producing advanced learners. There is only one possible verification of this for me and that is having students who pass the ประถม ๖ exam.

I am curious about one visa aspect. I'm seeing a few 1 year visa's posted in this thread, if someone is granted a 1 year visa does this mean they are exempt from doing the 3 month visa updates at immigration?

So I can just pop down to Penang and get one can I ?? You will guarantee it ??

I strongly suspect can get a one year ED from the UK simple as asking.. without any of your paperwork.. But thats just friendly consuls not the actual rules.

Wrong thread by the way.. Quote was from elsewhere.

EDIT :: just checked.. They will issue one for any course of study.. Scuba diving is even explicitly stated.. But I doubt somehow thats what an embassy or Penang etc would agree with.

I cannot guarantee but I have not heard of any of our students who asked for a multi entry in Penang to be refused. Some consulates dont issue them so only single entry is possible. Getting ED visa without any paperwork? I have not heard of anybody getting it. Do you actually know someone who got ED visa just by asking for it? That would be interesting. Even from a friendly consulate like Geneva they still ask for paperwork. As far as scuba diving school I think only 3 month visa is possible as learning to dive for a year is a long streach of immagination. Also processing the extension papers for a diving school with the ministry of education for a year - hm........don't think anybody has done it yet.

Anyway, thanks for your contribution to the ED visa discussions, your commenst are appreciated.

Walen School, Mac

I am a practical person so until I see that someone got 1 year multiple entry ED just by asking for it I will find it hard to believe.

If there is one of you guys out there who actually got it just by asking let us know, we also know that Hull (UK)is probably one of the easiest places on earth to get a Thai visa so if they actually issue ED visas without any paperwork that would not be much of a surprise.

I know just one case of a multiple entry 1 year ED visa that I have personally seen from Hull (UK), that is one of our students (see in the attachment), and he did show them the paperwork from our school, if he could get if just by asking why did he bother to wait 3 weeks for the paperwork? Perhaps a mistake on his part?

I think perhaps getting just a 3 month ED visa from Hull (UK)is possible by simply asking for it but a one year multiple sounds too easy.

Walen Thai School, Mac

post-46756-1204204000_thumb.jpg

Well ask Hull if they can issue you with a Multi Non 'O' ('O' visa can be used in the same way as an 'ED' visa) without having any family (Thai Wife or Child) in Thailand and they will give you a simple answer 'Well Yes! We can do' :o

I am a practical person so until I see that someone got 1 year multiple entry ED just by asking for it I will find it hard to believe.

If there is one of you guys out there who actually got it just by asking let us know, we also know that Hull (UK)is probably one of the easiest places on earth to get a Thai visa so if they actually issue ED visas without any paperwork that would not be much of a surprise.

I know just one case of a multiple entry 1 year ED visa that I have personally seen from Hull (UK), that is one of our students (see in the attachment), and he did show them the paperwork from our school, if he could get if just by asking why did he bother to wait 3 weeks for the paperwork? Perhaps a mistake on his part?

I think perhaps getting just a 3 month ED visa from Hull (UK)is possible by simply asking for it but a one year multiple sounds too easy.

Walen Thai School, Mac

Well ask Hull if they can issue you with a Multi Non 'O' ('O' visa can be used in the same way as an 'ED' visa) without having any family (Thai Wife or Child) in Thailand and they will give you a simple answer 'Well Yes! We can do' :o

A change of management can fix that overnight...just as it did in Penang.

Looks like those who are able to make it to Hull are in a privileged position as obtaining visas is almost too easy to believe but I agree with Tropo that it can change overnight. Till then enjoy!

Still did not get any verification on the possibility of obtaining a non-ED 1 year multiple entry from Hull just by asking for it, without presenting any paperwork. Anybody was able to get it?

Walen School, Mac

It is a person - not a facility.

Sorry, when I mentioned "management", I had in mind a person (honorary consul-general), not a team. I'll have to choose my words more carefully next time.

Edited by tropo

Sorry, when I mentioned "management", I had in mind a person (honorary consul-general), not a team. I'll have to choose my words more carefully next time.

The Honorary at Hull ( Alan Taylor ) is an Hon Consul not an Hon Consul-General.

The Honorary at Hull ( Alan Taylor ) is an Hon Consul not an Hon Consul-General.

What is the diffference?

Hawkup200 "If you get 1 year for 28.500 B the total sum of one year will be:28.500tuitionfee,edvisa total costs 8000 B, extentions 3*1,900 =42200 B Please correct me if I have missed something."

28,400 Baht Fee

I think not much more expensive than making visa runs and you get to study Thai for 180 lessons.

I cannot comment on other schools, they do it for 9 months or whatever. With the Walen school that is what it will cost you a year.

Walen School, Mac

I dont understand what you mean (5,700 baht for 3 extensions in the country).

why would I need to make 3 extensions if the visa is for 1 year??? this means I dont need to extend! so please can you let me know what this means. (thanks)

- or did you mean it is for three, 1-year extensions, (total 3 years).

but then you have done incorrect maths on your total 1 year monthly costs!

so I am stil confused!

yours, (or anyones help is appreciated what this means)

28,400 Baht Fee

Walen School, Mac

why would I need to make 3 extensions if the visa is for 1 year??? this means I dont need to extend! so please can you let me know what this means. (thanks)

so I am stil confused!

Note .. he said single entry visa --- no need to exit the country, you extend inside the country instead @ 1900B per extension.

28,400 Baht Fee

Walen School, Mac

so I am stil confused!

Note .. he said single entry visa --- no need to exit the country, you extend inside the country instead @ 1900B per extension.

ok. so you mean, this is 3 years of education visas? 1900 for each years extension? (extend at Bangkok Immigration).

but if this is for 3 years, then it should be divided by 36 months, (not 12 months). this is what I dont understand.

or if it means for 1 year, why would someone needs 3 extensions?

Looks like those who are able to make it to Hull are in a privileged position as obtaining visas is almost too easy to believe but I agree with Tropo that it can change overnight. Till then enjoy!

Still did not get any verification on the possibility of obtaining a non-ED 1 year multiple entry from Hull just by asking for it, without presenting any paperwork. Anybody was able to get it?

Walen School, Mac

Why don't you email or telephone the consulate in Hull.

Then you will have verification from the horses mouth to see if you need paperwork to support a Multi Non 'ED' visa application.

To try to clarify, originally there was a 1 year single or multiple entry visa which was classified as an ED by supporting paperwork provided by both the school and the Ministry of Education. However, last year this changed, and the only ED visa issued for language schools {universities are under different rules} is valid for 1 year but the holder must extend the visa's operability every 90 days, at an immigration office in Thailand, showing documentation from the school {and ministry(?)} I believe.

Therefore each visit to immigration costs 1,900 THB and that is now a requirement. Note there is no special ED visas, only the standard visa types, single entry, multiple entry valid for 1 year but classified by usage, i.e. B, ED, etc. The present position is that the visa is available under the aegis of the language school for a period of three years, though there are possibilities, I believe, to increase this.

HTH

Regards

To try to clarify, originally there was a 1 year single or multiple entry visa which was classified as an ED by supporting paperwork provided by both the school and the Ministry of Education. However, last year this changed, and the only ED visa issued for language schools {universities are under different rules} is valid for 1 year but the holder must extend the visa's operability every 90 days, at an immigration office in Thailand, showing documentation from the school {and ministry(?)} I believe.

Therefore each visit to immigration costs 1,900 THB and that is now a requirement. Note there is no special ED visas, only the standard visa types, single entry, multiple entry valid for 1 year but classified by usage, i.e. B, ED, etc. The present position is that the visa is available under the aegis of the language school for a period of three years, though there are possibilities, I believe, to increase this.

HTH

Regards

thanks for clarifying this for me!! I understand now!

so,, a 1 year education visa still requires the holder to re-register it every 90 days and pay a 1,900 fee each time. (wow!! talk about milking the students for even more!!)

is this a new rule that recently came in? or has it always been like this?

so, in my position, its pretty much the same price to either stay here for a year, (and have a study course), or to take a trip every 3 months to vientiene, penang, singapore or somewhere and have a holiday.

originally I was under the impression that i would save heaps of cash. but its actually about the same!

The only visa that allows a one year stay is the non immigrant OA visa issued for retirement. An ED is a normal non immigrant visa that either allows a single 90 day entry or multi 90 day entries for a one year period - in no case does the visa provide a one year stay. But if you attend a full time recognized school you may be able to extend your stay one year at a time (just as those who are married or retired do). Language schools are currently not approved for one year extensions but 90 day extensions are being offered (so you can enter on a single entry visa and then extend in-country every 90 days at a cost of 1,900 baht). You would also have the option of using a multi entry ED visa (and they are available at some Consulates) but that would require a border run every 90 days to obtain the new 90 day stay.

• 2 weeks later...

This is multiple one year ED from Munich, Germany in a German passport. Never seen one before from that consulate. As you see the stamp looks different again. We have quite a collection of different looking stamps by now. Stickers always look the same.

We also have a new student from Marocco, the good news is he could obtain his visa in Vientiane without traveling back to his country. So if you are from Marocco it makes it easier for you to stay here and study Thai without an expensive trip to get your visa in your country.

Nigerians still cannot apply in neighbouring countries. I wonder why it that. Must be something to do with governments, other west african countires no problem.

Walen School, Mac

post-21260-1206118548_thumb.jpg

This is multiple one year ED from Munich, Germany in a German passport. Never seen one before from that consulate. As you see the stamp looks different again. We have quite a collection of different looking stamps by now. Stickers always look the same.

We also have a new student from Marocco, the good news is he could obtain his visa in Vientiane without traveling back to his country. So if you are from Marocco it makes it easier for you to stay here and study Thai without an expensive trip to get your visa in your country.

Nigerians still cannot apply in neighbouring countries. I wonder why it that. Must be something to do with governments, other west african countires no problem.

Walen School, Mac

Mac -you have led a sheltered life. Nigeria is the scam /cheat capital of the world.!

P

Edited by astral

I am not having any personal experience with that, we have several Nigerian students and did not have any scam/cheat problems with any of them, I would even say that they are fine and polite people! I guess there must also be a lot of very wealthy families in Nigeria with all the oil they have and 100 US per barrel. The only problem they have when wanting to be our students is that they need to apply for student visas back in their country and that is both time consuming and expensive. I guess the world is not a fair place and not everybody is treated the same.

Walen School, Mac

Mac -you have led a sheltered life. Nigeria is the scam /cheat capital of the world.!

P

Nigeria is by far the most populous nation in Africa. At 135 million they have nearly 60 million more than the next most populous nation.

Edited by tropo