Thai Girlfriend Coming To Sydney

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right part of the forum to post this but I'm guessing a few posters on this site have brought their Thai girlfriend or wife to Australia already.

My question is that I was thinking that my girlfriend could get quite homesick being overseas and living in a different country.

So I was wondering if anyone had any advice? Maybe how she could meet other Thai people living here? Is there a Thai supermarket? Buddhist temple? That kinda thing!

Any help would be appreciated :o

Your query is a bit vague, but I think I get your drift.

There is of course no easy answer as each and every G/F is different some want contact with other Thais and some do not. If she and you feel the need to intereact with other Thais then contact may be made by any number of ways ie, Thai restaurants, temples or social clubs, check your Yellow Pages. First I'd suggest you just show her around, do the sights & frights, introduce her to your friends and family and see how goes from there. Cheers & Good Luck... :o

Maccy,

She may get a little homesick when she is there, particularly if you are away at work all day and she cannot go out.

What i did in the same situation was this:

Before leaving Thailand, we went and bought a heap (100+) DVD's, which were a mixture of Thai language and English.

Genuine DVD's are surprisingly cheap in Bangkok, due to an oversupply in the market... :o

This gives her hours of entertainment.

Get a phonecard for calling to Thailand, so she can call home when she wants.

Explain to her only to call using the phonecard, as calls direct are expensive.

When you have time off, go out together and use public transport, or whatever she will use if you are not about.

This will help her to get used to it.

Get her a prepaid mobile. (ONLY A PREPAID, NOT POSTPAID)

You can control the expenditure on a pre paid mobile.

Program your mobile number into the memory.

Now when she goes out, she can call you if she gets lost.

Find a local Asian grocery store.

A good one will stock a lot of things that she will need to cook Thai food.

Being able to have food she is familiar with will help.

Get in touch with other TV members in Sydney, they will know the best shops for food, where to go etc.

Also search this forum. There was a thread in the past month with a lot of guys from Sydney posting on this exact subject.

Also make sure that she is able to get about by herself.

Nothing worse than being in another country and feeling like you cannot go anywhere.

Hi,

Sydney has a HUGE thai community, in which I am heavily involved. Happy to meet up if you want her to meet some people here. My wife is here with 2 cousins and I have 13 thai staff, 8 girls. Also involved with social events etc.

PM if you want my advice on anything.

Hope the move goes well