Re-entry Permits

Last time i was home, (Thailand), i recieved a non- im O visa (spouse), valid for 3 months. When i left for work i had to spend 1000 baht, (i think!), for a re-entry permit. When i get back home in 2 weeks i will hopefully have the visa extended to a 1 year multi entry.

Does this mean that every time i go to work, (5 times a year), i have to pay for a re entry permit or can i just come and go?

Last time i was home, (Thailand), i recieved a non- im O visa (spouse), valid for 3 months. When i left for work i had to spend 1000 baht, (i think!), for a re-entry permit. When i get back home in 2 weeks i will hopefully have the visa extended to a 1 year multi entry.

Does this mean that every time i go to work, (5 times a year), i have to pay for a re entry permit or can i just come and go?

YES, baht 1,000 per re-entry visa.  

OR, save a few baht and spend baht 3,800 upfront and get a multiple re-entry visa good for the length of your extension.

Mac

Thanks Mac, i was planning to get a multi entry anyway, but the question was do i still need a re-entry permit with that. I guess you have answered. Let's hope i don't have any problems with my application.

If i were to have to pay each time i would be better off staying with a tourist visa like the last 6+ years.

Nigel.

Except it is not clear if you are "extending your stay". You said "When i get back home in 2 weeks i will hopefully have the visa extended to a 1 year multi entry." You do not do that in Thailand - in Thailand you extend your current permitted to stay for one year and you require re-entry permit for any travel - there is no such thing as Multi entry extension of stay - only the re-entry permit would have that designation.

But if you are talking about obtaining a multi entry non immigrant O visa from a Consulate outside Thailand you would then be permitted to stay up to 90 days on any entry and would not need anything else for travel.

Except it is not clear if you are "extending your stay". You said "When i get back home in 2 weeks i will hopefully have the visa extended to a 1 year multi entry." You do not do that in Thailand - in Thailand you extend your current permitted to stay for one year and you require re-entry permit for any travel - there is no such thing as Multi entry extension of stay - only the re-entry permit would have that designation.

But if you are talking about obtaining a multi entry non immigrant O visa from a Consulate outside Thailand you would then be permitted to stay up to 90 days on any entry and would not need anything else for travel.

Hi Lopburi

This is my first incursion into the mysteris of visa arrangements and following on your answer given above, can you confirm for me please, whether or not I need anything more in the way of re-entry permit etc.

I hold a non-immigrant visa, category "O" for one year and "good for multiple journeys" issued in Australia.

My first 90 day is until 21st October. Both my wife and I ( she holds the same visa) will be travelling to Mae Sai to cross into Burma and will return within an hour or so into Thailand.

From what you have advised above, it seems tha twe will only have to present ourselves, our passports and some money to pass to and fro without any hassles regarding re-entry permit etc and that we will be isued with permission to remain for a further 90 days .

Am I reading you correctly - please ?

Lopburi3, now i am more confused! I'll try to explain the whole story and hopefully things will be more clear.

I have lived in Thailand for nearly 7 years. All that time i have been on a tourist visa. (when i say home i mean thailand).

I work abroad so i spend 30 days at home and 45 days away.

Last time i was home i applied for a Spouse O visa and i was told i need a proof of income letter from my employer. (this i need to take to the british embassy for some reason.)

Immigration stamped my passport with an O visa valid until 31 oct 07. That was 3 months from entry into thailand.

I was told to complete the application i need to take the income letter and photos of the house/car to immigration before 31 oct.

I am 90% sure they said i could get a multi entry for 3800 baht. Nothing was mentioned about applying outside the country.

(on a side note, we have a 5 month old baby and the ladies in immigration were more interested in him than my application. Maybe they were "bending" the application rules to allow me a multi entry because thay had a temporary softening of attitude?)

So after the comments already recieved i don't need to pay for a re-entry permit each time i leave if i get a multi entry but can i actually get one?

If i can't it looks like i will have to go back to the tourist visa plan.

Lopburi3, now i am more confused! I'll try to explain the whole story and hopefully things will be more clear.

I have lived in Thailand for nearly 7 years. All that time i have been on a tourist visa. (when i say home i mean thailand).

I work abroad so i spend 30 days at home and 45 days away.

Last time i was home i applied for a Spouse O visa and i was told i need a proof of income letter from my employer. (this i need to take to the british embassy for some reason.)

Immigration stamped my passport with an O visa valid until 31 oct 07. That was 3 months from entry into thailand.

I was told to complete the application i need to take the income letter and photos of the house/car to immigration before 31 oct.

I am 90% sure they said i could get a multi entry for 3800 baht. Nothing was mentioned about applying outside the country.

(on a side note, we have a 5 month old baby and the ladies in immigration were more interested in him than my application. Maybe they were "bending" the application rules to allow me a multi entry because thay had a temporary softening of attitude?)

So after the comments already recieved i don't need to pay for a re-entry permit each time i leave if i get a multi entry but can i actually get one?

If i can't it looks like i will have to go back to the tourist visa plan.

If you go back to Immigration before 31st October you will get your year extension. You will also need to get a multi re entry permit at a cost of 3,800 Baht.

If you go to Penang or KL or Singapore you will likely get a Multi Entry Non Imm O Visa. With this you will not need a re entry permit.

Personally you should go with the immigration office route. The year extension costs 1,900 Baht and as said the multi re entry permit is 3,800 Baht.

No doubt Lopburi will explain this better than me as he usually does.

You appear to be here on a single entry non immigrant visa 90 day stay valid until Oct 31. If you want to extend your stay on a yearly basis from Immigration you need to immediately visit them with wife, proof of income, bank book, letter from bank of account balance, photos together in home and outside home (with house number), her ID card and home register, your passport/entry card and signed copies of everything. Upon payment of 1,900 baht and filing of TM.7 with 4x6cm current photo you will likely be provided a 30 day extension of stay - at the end of which you are required to appear with passport to obtain the remainder of the years extension of stay. It does not appear you can do this with your work schedule. You would also have to have a re-entry permit for any travel after you make this application.

From your work schedule this procedure does not appear viable. Believe you are better served with a multi entry non immigrant O visa which allows stays of up to 90 days and is valid for one year. No extra fees or paperwork would be required with that visa. But you must obtain from a Consulate overseas. With proof of bank account with 400k anywhere Singapore seems willing to issue. Will need marriage certificate, birth certificate, copy of wife ID card and good to have short letter from her asking for visa to be issued and that you live together. Penang should also issue and probably not require the 400k bank account.

You appear to be here on a single entry non immigrant visa 90 day stay valid until Oct 31. If you want to extend your stay on a yearly basis from Immigration you need to immediately visit them with wife, proof of income, bank book, letter from bank of account balance, photos together in home and outside home (with house number), her ID card and home register, your passport/entry card and signed copies of everything. Upon payment of 1,900 baht and filing of TM.7 with 4x6cm current photo you will likely be provided a 30 day extension of stay - at the end of which you are required to appear with passport to obtain the remainder of the years extension of stay. It does not appear you can do this with your work schedule. You would also have to have a re-entry permit for any travel after you make this application.

From your work schedule this procedure does not appear viable. Believe you are better served with a multi entry non immigrant O visa which allows stays of up to 90 days and is valid for one year. No extra fees or paperwork would be required with that visa. But you must obtain from a Consulate overseas. With proof of bank account with 400k anywhere Singapore seems willing to issue. Will need marriage certificate, birth certificate, copy of wife ID card and good to have short letter from her asking for visa to be issued and that you live together. Penang should also issue and probably not require the 400k bank account.

Thanks lopburi. I'll ask about the meni "O" and see what happens.

Watch this space in 2 weeks to see if i'm successful!

Take with you photos, marriage certificate and copy, copy of wife ID card, copy of her home register and a short letter from her asking for visa issue to be with her (and a photo of her can not go wrong). At Singapore a bank statement within the month should work and at Panang there may not even be a need but would not hurt to have.

You may not need more than the marriage certificat/copy of id card but good to have everything just in case and be sure copies are signed in case that want that.

• 1 month later...

I just got my 1 year visa. :D It took me 2 more trips to Bangkok immigration and a little confusion but it was worth it. :D It cost 3800 for a multi re-entry stamp and now i am allegedly valid to come and go for the next year.

Thanks for all the advice. :o