Apple & Leek Sausage

JohnBKKK

Hi all,

we just had to produce a lot of Apple & Leek sausages and we have placed about 14 packs into our shelf at Villa 33 Sukhumvit - Bangkok

They are unique and if one considers that pork with apple and leek goes very well together - here you have it all in a sausage :o - made with traditional UK herbs and spices but with continental "bite"

Hi all,

we just had to produce a lot of Apple & Leek sausages and we have placed about 14 packs into our shelf at Villa 33 Sukhumvit - Bangkok

They are unique and if one considers that pork with apple and leek goes very well together - here you have it all in a sausage :o - made with traditional UK herbs and spices but with continental "bite"

Well, since you mentioned it, here's some feedback.

I bought some of these on Friday and I must say I was disappointed. The texture was homogeneous, the small amount of leek seemed to add little to the flavour and the apple seemed to be a little ''soapy'' (in taste and texture).

(There also seemed to be several packets of sausages that simply said ''SAMPLE'' on the label.)

Hi all,

They are unique and if one considers that pork with apple and leek goes very well together - here you have it all in a sausage :D - made with traditional UK herbs and spices but with continental "bite"

I bought some of these on Friday and I must say I was disappointed. The texture was homogeneous, the small amount of leek seemed to add little to the flavour and the apple seemed to be a little ''soapy'' (in taste and texture).

(There also seemed to be several packets of sausages that simply said ''SAMPLE'' on the label.)

Hi Mark, thank you very much for your feedback ....... here are some points - the fact that they are homogenized i.E. fine can not be seen as a negative but as a style of sausage - as to the leek ... hmmm we put 1 KG per 8KG of sausage meat - I and everyone who has them find them quite "leeky" :o now the apple I'm astonished that you detected the "texture" of the apple since this is also finely chopped and soapy ?- as soon as I saw your message I called our customer for whom we made them and asked the chef if he had tasted them and he said "yep, they are great and the kids loved them" - anyway everyone has a different taste and if you prefere a course sausage - we do those as well but not the apple and Leek since they are often used for Kids and they do not like course sausages in general - I persnally do not fancy them myself because the leek and apple add a sweetness but than again, I do not make them for myself :D it is simply a unique sausage i guess you either love them or not - safer with the breakfast sausage, cumberland and german bratwurst

Now as to the packs labled as samples .... guess my staff responsible for stocking is in for an ear full ... thanks for the information

Edited by JohnBKKK

Hi all,

They are unique and if one considers that pork with apple and leek goes very well together - here you have it all in a sausage :D - made with traditional UK herbs and spices but with continental "bite"

Hi Mark, thank you very much for your feedback ....... here are some points - the fact that they are homogenized i.E. fine can not be seen as a negative but as a style of sausage - as to the leek ... hmmm we put 1 KG per 8KG of sausage meat - I and everyone who has them find them quite "leeky" :o now the apple I'm astonished that you detected the "texture" of the apple since this is also finely chopped and soapy ?- as soon as I saw your message I called our customer for whom we made them and asked the chef if he had tasted them and he said "yep, they are great and the kids loved them" - anyway everyone has a different taste and if you prefere a course sausage - we do those as well but not the apple and Leek since they are often used for Kids and they do not like course sausages in general - I persnally do not fancy them myself because the leek and apple add a sweetness but than again, I do not make them for myself :D it is simply a unique sausage i guess you either love them or not - safer with the breakfast sausage, cumberland and german bratwurst

Now as to the packs labled as samples .... guess my staff responsible for stocking is in for an ear full ... thanks for the information

''the fact that they are homogenised, i.e. fine, can not be seen as a negative but as a style of sausage''

Yes, that's certainly true, and if there's a market for that kind of sausage, fine. However, my main criticism of ''English-style'' sausages in Thailand (and that of all my friends, OK, it's not many, but it is a universal complaint) is that they are too much like yer average ''wurst'' (or even hot dog) in texture -- firm, what seems like loads of meat, but simply too finely ground. Maybe I'll give your Cumberland a go.

''the fact that they are homogenised, i.e. fine, can not be seen as a negative but as a style of sausage''

Yes, that's certainly true, and if there's a market for that kind of sausage, fine. However, my main criticism of ''English-style'' sausages in Thailand (and that of all my friends, OK, it's not many, but it is a universal complaint) is that they are too much like yer average ''wurst'' (or even hot dog) in texture -- firm, what seems like loads of meat, but simply too finely ground. Maybe I'll give your Cumberland a go.

Hi Mark, I understand your point - there is another reason for the texture in the sausage though - we are in the tropics and simply for safety reasons, all sausages are pre-cooked. By pre-cooking them you get a different texture than when you buy your banger from a butcher in the UK - this does not mean however that the flavor is less good, simply the texture is more "continental" - even our course German Bratwurst - the meat is not passed through the cutter, but just the grinder with a 4mm plate - when raw it looks really course - but after its cooked it looks more "finel" - the flavour and bite however are fantastic.

Once sausages are delivered to customers/supermarkets, storage is out of my control and only by pre-cooking them - cooling them very fast to 4C and than imediately vacuum packing them can I garantee to have a safe product in the tropics. If someone wants to have a really course sausage fresh/un-cooked I make them too, but have them sign a form that they have been informed of the cooling and usage requirements.

Hi Mark, I understand your point - there is another reason for the texture in the sausage though - we are in the tropics and simply for safety reasons, all sausages are pre-cooked. By pre-cooking them you get a different texture than when you buy your banger from a butcher in the UK - this does not mean however that the flavor is less good, simply the texture is more "continental" - even our course German Bratwurst - the meat is not passed through the cutter, but just the grinder with a 4mm plate - when raw it looks really course - but after its cooked it looks more "finel" - the flavour and bite however are fantastic.

Once sausages are delivered to customers/supermarkets, storage is out of my control and only by pre-cooking them - cooling them very fast to 4C and than imediately vacuum packing them can I garantee to have a safe product in the tropics. If someone wants to have a really course sausage fresh/un-cooked I make them too, but have them sign a form that they have been informed of the cooling and usage requirements.

Yes, the pre-cooking would explain why some (many? almost all?) the (farang-stylee) sausages I've tried here have that ''firm'' texture and slightly pre-cooked look. Never really thought about it -- I suppose they're blanched or steamed. D'oh! That explains everything! Are you based in Bangkok (so I can pick up some of your ''under-the-counter'' sausages)?

Yes, the pre-cooking would explain why some (many? almost all?) the (farang-stylee) sausages I've tried here have that ''firm'' texture and slightly pre-cooked look. Never really thought about it -- I suppose they're blanched or steamed. D'oh! That explains everything! Are you based in Bangkok (so I can pick up some of your ''under-the-counter'' sausages)? -

Hi Mark, they are placed into a waterbath a 80C until they reach a core-temperature of 80C for 10 minutes - that makes sure any possible bacteria is killed -this process is an FDA requirement for sausages which are vacuum packed - it does not change flavor, just makes them firmer!

Yep we are based in BKK - in Minbury - send me your mobile and I can see what I can do as far as "under the counter sausages" :o are concerned lol

Edited by JohnBKKK

I want old fashioned beef snags, thick and thin !!

Do you have these, I am from Oz so maybe that may help you with what I am looking for....something fine tasting we are used to.

As for the dunking in the hot water, would'nt that make em half cooked and then look like any other thai sausage...or hotdog...or frankfurt ?

Do you make pies also ?? if you do I hope you are not 'Big Johns' pies a s I had one the other day and very disappointing. Got one of his pasties in the freezer, will see if that any better. Also got a 'yorkies' in there to try.

I want old fashioned beef snags, thick and thin !!

Do you have these, I am from Oz so maybe that may help you with what I am looking for....something fine tasting we are used to.

As for the dunking in the hot water, would'nt that make em half cooked and then look like any other thai sausage...or hotdog...or frankfurt ?

Do you make pies also ?? if you do I hope you are not 'Big Johns' pies a s I had one the other day and very disappointing. Got one of his pasties in the freezer, will see if that any better. Also got a 'yorkies' in there to try.

Hi Mr. Squigle,

we usually only produce goods for 5 star hotels and put the overproduction into Villa - Beef Snags are an interesting idea and I may make some and sample them out. When I do, I will let you know. The "dunking" them in the hot water cooks them and makes sure you do not end up with bangkok belly even if the cooler was off in the supermarket during apower cut :o

It has no effect on the flavor and a firmer bite is what most people like anyway - this does not however mean that we use callogen casing - we don't make rubber dogs :D our sausages all come in natural casings

As to the pies .... ehem.... NO we are neither Big John nor Yorkies - we do have Steak&Kidney pies in Villa by Soi 33 - in a short crust whole pastry and not in Puff pastry and Merton Mowbray Pork Pies - they are made like the real stuff chunks of pork - hand raised and nice but not too much jelly - and they are made as they are suppose to be made with hot water pastry! take ages to make - but the result is worth it

Edited by JohnBKKK

Thanks, if you do beef snags, please do let me know, but dont throw mine in the bubbly water. I would like to pick them up fresh and whack them in my freezer.

I lived in the tropics in Oz for many years, never a problem with bad fresh bangers, but understand where you coming from. But I do not like the half cooked, frankfurter type sausage.

@ John: sounds interesting how you treat your sausages. Can someone compare that to Pasteurize them (like Milk) in order to have no Bacteria count and make them last longer ?

maybe you can enlighten the sausage people here (maybe new thread) about advantages of your process and risks involved in the common style.

@ ALL: personally I prefer the coarser ones as well, but hearing about risks, I'll go for the "treated" ones.

BESIDES: living in Thailand for quite a while and seeing WHAT is offered at street stalls and HOW sometimes it LOOKS and SMELLS, I'll give a da** about appearance, BUT JUST GO FOR THE TASTE. And there I must say that I recently bought Cumberland and German Bratwurst in Villa from you John and the taste is simply yummy :D

the Apple & Leek sausages, what is this thread about I tried, but that's a matter of taste (I am German), but nonethless my kids wolved them down. And I understand from above in this thread that they are basically MADE for children.. Good Idea !! keeps the kids happy lol :o

Seppl