Villa Market

Jingthing

I'm always game to try a new route though, but I still reckon I'll do most of my shopping in Pattaya Klang, where I never have a problem to park quickly and without fuss.

My big gripe with Carrefour are the checkouts ,they are far too slow coupled witht the fact that the bar codes on produce never seem to scan correctly and end up having to be entered into the register manually.

Yes , you are right i nearly always go shopping on the bike............that said you'd have no problem getting a Fortuner down any of the Soi's mentioned.

Absolutely!

however I found a solution the other day at Carrefour Chonburi.

With only 5 items in my basket I noticed the lady in front (in the 8 items or less queue) had a full trolley - about 100 items??? - all the other checkout had huge lines so I went to customer service counter and told them the situation and they checked me out there and then at the customer service counter.

I guess if enough people do this CF will get the point............or close customer service!

PS - I've also put a complaint in the suggestion box and an English speaking member of staff rang me back - I explained that I could no longer use them for small purchases until the queues died down.

I also pointed out that Carrefour TESCO's Walmart?)et al have experience of successfully dealing with this problem back in their home countries so there is no real excuse for it to happen again over here - it should have been anticipated.

Edited by wilko

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I need to locate imported sliced beetroot.

I couldn't find it at Villa several weeks back, and Friendship has run out...was getting the NZ Watties brand there.

Has anyone laid eyes on this anywhere? Foodland, Carrefour, Tops and Big C also don't have it.

WHY ??

I buy beetroot at Carrefour, there cheap, easy to cook, slice and pickle

I don't want to cook beetroot. I like canned preserved beetroot. Simple and quick. For me it's only an addition to a sandwich, not a main course.

BTW I've yet to visit the new Villa. Is it just me, or does anyone else who lives East of Pattaya ('The Darkside') find the location inconvenient? One day I might try it - maybe in the "off season". :o

I've been to Villa many times already and I'm a regular shopper at Foodland. Unless you're looking for something in particular that you must have that cannot be found at Foodland, there's no need to make the trek. IMO Foodland is still the better supermarket.

Edited by tropo

Unless you're looking for something in particular that you must have that cannot be found at Foodland

True. There are things at all the markets that are a little unique, so I find I need to shop at Foodland, Friendship, Villa, Carrefour, and sometimes Tesco. I need to hire a shopper I think.

Unless you're looking for something in particular that you must have that cannot be found at Foodland

True. There are things at all the markets that are a little unique, so I find I need to shop at Foodland, Friendship, Villa, Carrefour, and sometimes Tesco. I need to hire a shopper I think.

It's the same for me...but I have never tried Tesco. It does get irritating at times, having to go to so many stores.

Sounds like someone wants to make an Aussie style burger, with pickled canned beetroot, a fried egg on top- "the lot" :o

You got it. A burger or sandwich is just not the same without pickled canned beetroot. I've tried the stuff they make in Thailand, and it just doesn't cut it.

I went back to Friendship today and they're still out. I made a special request with the manager at Villa...I hope she comes through for me.

Has Villa, or for that matter has anyone found Frozen Puff Pastry here.??.

It takes so long to make it ones self + cannot find Lard anyway.

Both Foodland and Villa sell frozen puff pastry.......................seem to remember Foodland also stock Atora Suet, was a while back though so you would have to check (was near the Bisto gravy granules)

They had Grape Nuts in stock, for those of you awaiting the store to restock them.

What are Grape Nuts? The only time I have heard that was in the UK as a slang term for hemarrhoids!!

Its a Yankee thing. They are a semi-healthy unsweetened very crunchy breakfast cereal that are shaped like little nuggets you would normally think are rodent food, but have a pleasant taste to certain people who grew up with them. And if thats what that means in the UK, I wonder if the product is marketed with a different name there?

Edited by Jingthing

Many thanks

Have a friend that works Pattaya area 1 week a month and get all I need from Friendship.....

Drove for the 1st time to Villa, at a place called 'Nichada Thani' last week, did not see any there at that store..

Someone please tell me that Villa have REAL australian meat pies like Jesters, Four'N Twenty and Mrs Mac's. :o

Villa do stock Four'n'Twenty pies. Standard size and mini pies.

Cheers

Thanks for that - Looks like I'll just have to check out Villa now and get those meat pies :D

Many thanks

Have a friend that works Pattaya area 1 week a month and get all I need from Friendship.....

Drove for the 1st time to Villa, at a place called 'Nichada Thani' last week, did not see any there at that store..

Villa BKK Suk 33 has the frozen puff pastry and I'm sure I've seen it in Foodland.

Never been to the Nichida Villa, is it a small one?

I'd love to think that Atora suet was in Foodland. Will be off to check!

Cheers

No one came through with anywhere to buy imported sliced beetroot so I thought I better mention here that a home made sliced beetroot is available from a little Swedish restaurant on Pattaya Tai on the right side heading east past the Shell Station. 89 baht.

It's better than any canned stuff I've tasted and prepared just the way my mother (Dutch) does it.

Many thanks

Villa BKK Suk 33 has the frozen puff pastry and I'm sure I've seen it in Foodland.

Never been to the Nichida Villa, is it a small one?

I'd love to think that Atora suet was in Foodland. Will be off to check!

Cheers

No idea if it is a small one having never been to any of the others.. Nichida Villa is about 20km each way for me to drive....... Villa BKK Suk 33 is about 50+ km each way + the traffic..

Has Villa, or for that matter has anyone found Frozen Puff Pastry here.??.

It takes so long to make it ones self + cannot find Lard anyway.

Puff pastry found at the wonderful Villa market about 2 weeks ago.

Not sure its still there.

kdf

Its a Yankee thing. They are a semi-healthy unsweetened very crunchy breakfast cereal that are shaped like little nuggets you would normally think are rodent food, but have a pleasant taste to certain people who grew up with them. And if thats what that means in the UK, I wonder if the product is marketed with a different name there?

Yup, cat litter.

Checked again - NO Coleman's English Mustard in a jar - only the mild version and a dijon.

Buy the powdered Colemans and a squirty ketchup bottle from Friendship. Then you can make up your own mustard as hot or as mild as you like and it will keep fresh in the ketchup squirter otherwise it dries out.

I need to locate imported sliced beetroot.

I couldn't find it at Villa several weeks back, and Friendship has run out...was getting the NZ Watties brand there.

Has anyone laid eyes on this anywhere? Foodland, Carrefour, Tops and Big C also don't have it.

Watties is in stock at Best (well it was 3 days ago) and although not as piquant as Baxters canned beetroot, it went down well with the Simon Howie haggis and some Grouse scotch.

I spotted two brands of pickled beetroot when I visited Villa this afternoon, and not very expensive.

Has anyone else (besides me) become addicted to their wonderful in-house cooked ham? They are generous with the free samples! Unlike most cooked ham in Thailand, Villa's is not salty.

Has anyone else (besides me) become addicted to their wonderful in-house cooked ham? They are generous with the free samples! Unlike most cooked ham in Thailand, Villa's is not salty.

Put It this way i bought the honey ham off the bone and then bought a sandwich at 59 baht (ham cheese and tomato) .................and the sarnie won all over value.

I spotted two brands of pickled beetroot when I visited Villa this afternoon, and not very expensive.

I've seen the cubed beetroot there and some Thai sliced beetroot in a glass jar, but not the canned imported stuff I'm looking for....perhaps the manager got it in over the last few days???

Watties is in stock at Best (well it was 3 days ago) and although not as piquant as Baxters canned beetroot, it went down well with the Simon Howie haggis and some Grouse scotch.

Thanks Nanlaew, I'll head down there and have a look.

Checked again - NO Coleman's English Mustard in a jar - only the mild version and a dijon.

Buy the powdered Colemans and a squirty ketchup bottle from Friendship. Then you can make up your own mustard as hot or as mild as you like and it will keep fresh in the ketchup squirter otherwise it dries out.

Unfortunately the powder whist great for things like cheese sauce and a condiment on its own is not the same as the jar stuff....I can make an approximation but until someone stocks irt here I shall continue to hassle my friends to bring me a jar or twi every time they visit.

BTW - as with all dried food tthe shelf life in the tropics is greatly reduced and the powder usually goes of way before I've used it all.

As for puff pastry - (i HATE puff pastry) - it's in the big chest freezer section.