Law Tightens Rules On Security Guards

george

Law tightens rules on security guards

BANGKOK: -- The Cabinet will tomorrow [Tuesday] consider a National Police Commission recommendation to pass legislation regulating private security and offering protections to those who employ it, a source said.

There is no specific law governing the busy private security sector. There are 3,000 companies offering the service and employing some 200,000 guards.

The bill says those offering private security must be licensed and those licences will need renewal after four years. Executives of guard companies failing to meet the law can be jailed for up to five years or fined Bt50,000.

Individual guards require the same and must have their permits renewed every three years.

To be registered, guards must prove they have never taken drugs, committed any drug offence or are suffering from alcoholism. Licensed guards will be entitled to social security. Guards who do not renew their licences will be fined Bt1,000.

Private security must assist police to arrest offenders, the bill says.

--The Nation 2007-10-15

Good news that some controls are being put in place, at last!! Rather concerned though that the only mention is of drug use or conviction of use. Certainly would not like to think that someone could become a licenced secutity guard with a conviction for murder, violent assault etc!!!

I wonder what brought this about. It's a good idea, but given the general knee-jerk way of governing, I have trouble believing they just decided it was a good idea. Maybe they heard Blackwater was opening an office here!

As far as "helping the police to arrest offenders", what does this mean. I mean, overall, if you think guards are lazy, the police are generally lazier--I hope this doesn't mean the police can send them running after someone, because they don't want to. 'Help' is a pretty broad term.

To be registered, guards must prove they have never taken drugs, committed any drug offence or are suffering from alcoholism.

What about narcolepsy? :o

but then again... I'm guilty also, emperor....

I should have included that EXCELLENT comment in my earlier post... so...

To be registered, guards must prove they have never taken drugs, committed any drug offence or are suffering from alcoholism.

What about narcolepsy?

post-9005-1192404575_thumb.jpg

Executives of guard companies failing to meet the law can be jailed for up to five years or fined Bt50,000.

Hmmmmmm. Another extreme deterrent!! That is one hel_l of a huge fine. :o Those people couldn't get B50,000 together! Maybe they will have to do a bit of bird methinks!!

sarcasm sarcasm sarcasm sarcasm sarcasm sarcasm sarcasm sarcasm sarcasm sarcasm sarcasm sarcasm sarcasm sarcasm sarcasarcasm sarcasm sarcasm sarcasmsm sarcasmsarcasm sarcasm sarcasm sarcasm :o

Edited by Big A

almost all security guard agencies are run by retired soldiers & policemen - through proxies if they are still in service.

the case of a bomb chucked over the wall into carrefour (?) on rama 4 a few years ago over a dispute related to security agency contracts remains unsolved. its not evident on the surface, but there are turf wars in almost all industrial estates & institutions offering large security contracts over this issue. :o

there's definitely more to this proposal than meets the eye... :D

Sounds almost identical to U.K. Recent legislation with a regulatory authority S.I.A. as a new company in the U.K. it has been a good time to begin as a lot of the old school thugs/criminals have been weeded out by standards being raised, Of course its only as good as the people overseeing compliance and I guess were ever big contracts are available corruption and turf wars will always be a tendancy,

Costs us about $1000 usd to get somone through the training and enhanced C.R.C. but having to display your badge and loosing your right to work if it gets suspended with teeth in the enforcement is begining to give confidence to clients/public in the U.K. so any move in this direction is going the right way

Its taken half a century or more in Europe so I for one would applaud that it is in the public forum here in Thai