Thais Telling The Time

Doza

Sorry,what's wrong with 04.00 pm ?

My understanding is that you do not need to put the 0 (zero) in front of the time if you are following it with am or pm. The 0 (Zero) is only used when using the 24 hour clock.

Add to that the interesting time-telling. Clock divided into 4 x 6hour blocks.

I'll meet you a 2 O'Clock - um, which 2 O'Clock?

2 O'Clock night = 2am

2 O'Clock morning = 8am

2 O'Clock afternoon = 2pm

2 O'Clock evening = 8pm

They say "see mong laeng" here. Sorry but not allowed to write it in Thai.

Sorry to sound like a Know-It-All, but I thing the Thai version of 4:00 PM is 'Bai See Mong' (If I'm NOT mistaken ! :o )

i just look at my watch and then i know what time it is ,whatever time the thai will tell you it is will be wrong anyway .

Sorry to sound like a Know-It-All, but I thing the Thai version of 4:00 PM is 'Bai See Mong' (If I'm NOT mistaken ! :D )

In the evening they say , 1 toem , 2 toem etc .( 7 and 8 o'clock etc )

What I understand in the morning they say 7 moong chao (morning ) until bai moong .

and then repeat the bai mong .

But it is common they say 3 moong and 4, 5 ,6 moong until 1 toem (seven o clock ) , without the bai saying.

Oh yeah in the night they say ti 1, ti 2 etc, is after midnight . :o

Sorry to sound like a Know-It-All, but I thing the Thai version of 4:00 PM is 'Bai See Mong' (If I'm NOT mistaken ! :D )

What I understand in the morning they say 7 moong chao (morning ) until bai moong .

But it is common they say 3 moong and 4, 5 ,6 moong until 1 toem (seven o clock ) , without the bai saying.

Yes. Agree with you in principal there ! But, in the part of Thaiiland where I live (Korat), they always add the 'Bai' infront of the hour when telling the time between 1 pm and 4 pm. I guess its a regional thing, what?

My understanding is that you do not need to put the 0 (zero) in front of the time if you are following it with am or pm. The 0 (Zero) is only used when using the 24 hour clock.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks, but when I google I see a lot of english sites using the 00.00 pm indication(North Shropshire Cycle Rides,Bridgemary Community Sport College...) :o

Yes. Agree with you in principal there ! But, in the part of Thaiiland where I live (Korat), they always add the 'Bai' infront of the hour when telling the time between 1 pm and 4 pm. I guess its a regional thing, what?

No, it's not regional - some say "bai see mong", some "see mong yen" it's bout 50/50. The les educated say "bai see mong" :D

"See mong laeng" is regional.

correct.

No, it's not regional - some say "bai see mong", some "see mong yen" it's bout 50/50. The les educated say "bai see mong" :D

In my understanding to say bai moong or not is the same , probaly lazy to say so .

I agree with Eric , referring to the bai between 1 and 3 afternoon .

Bai 4 moong they just say 4 moong . but hey i stay in Chiangmai , maybe they do differ .

Think you may have that turned around or else the professors and staff where I work at the uni are 'les educated' when they say "bai see mong". :o

There was a topic in the Thai language forum going through all the iterations of Thai time if one does a search for it. If the OP wishes this moved to that forum just let a mod know. May be more appropriate since the majority of responses now are using Thai language forms.

Starting from the early morning

6 hok moong chaao

7 jet moong chaao (or just 'moong chaao')

8 bpaed moong chaao (or 'sawng moong chaao' i.e. 2 hours morning)

9 gaao moong (usually no 'moong chaao' after this one)

10 sip moong (usually no additional description after this either)

11 sip et moong

12 thiang (wan)

1 PM baay (neung) moong (usually 'neung' is ommitted)

2 PM baay sawng (moong) (usually 'moong' is ommitted)

3 PM baay saam (moong) (usually 'moong' is ommitted)

4 PM sii moong yen ('yen' means cool and refers to the slightly cooler period of the day when the sun begins to set)

5 PM haa moong yen

6 PM hok moong yen

7 PM (neung) thum

8 PM sawng thum

9 PM saam thum

10 PM sii thum

11 PM haa thum

00.00 thiang kheun (kheun means 'night')

1 AM dtii neung

2 AM dtii sawng

3 AM dtii saam

4 AM dtii sii

5 AM dtii haa

1-5 AM are often referred to as 'dtawn chaao meud' (the dark part of the morning).

To further complicate this, the list I compiled above does not apply 100% for Southern Thailand, Isaan and the North. They all have slightly different systems from this one.

Here is a link to the most complete discussion we've had about time on the forum so far. A word of warning though, it might just make you more confused:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...hl=telling+time

Here is a link to the most complete discussion we've had about time on the forum so far. A word of warning though, it might just make you more confused:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...hl=telling+time

I believe this is the link you were trying for? > Telling Time

And a program available for download > http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=70160

Why do Thais insist on still using (wrongly) the '0' to denote hundred hours or 24 hour time even when they are using am/pm for twelve hour time?

E.g. 04.00pm /

What is up with that?!

I believe you mean when Thais write the time, not when they tell it. The answer is really very simple: just like some foreigners make mistakes when they write Thai, some Thais make mistakes when they write English.

--

Maestro

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks, but when I google I see a lot of english sites using the 00.00 pm indication(North Shropshire Cycle Rides,Bridgemary Community Sport College...) :o

Still wrong though.

Does it really matter. No. Just get over it and live and let live. Make the world a brighter place for it. :o

It DOES matter when a Thai says to me in English," see you at 3 o'clock tomorrow morning." and my eyes pop out. Learnt ages ago to verify any time by repeating it back, in this case it is 9 am clock time and not 3 am.

nice to see the post with all the thai times listed.

rych