Beer And Achy Legs

too true

The topic title doesn't really do the situation justice...

My husband and I usually have a bit of beer in the evening as we're getting dinner ready. I've noticed lately that my first few sips seem to go straight to my legs and make them feel all heavy and achy. AFter about 10 minutes the feeling goes away and everything goes back to normal.

Is it in my head (as my dad would say) or is it the effect of alcohol hitting my bloodstream? I've never noticed this feeling before when I drink. Anyone else ever had it?

I may point out that I seem to be going through a bit of mental instability at the moment, where I am overly sensitive to EVERY little thing that happens in my body - every twinge, pain, strange heart beat, bout of light headedness (it's beginning to drive me crazy) - and it really just might be in my head.

But, on the off chance that it might be something else, thought I'd ask here first for experiences.

Cheers,

TT

Alcohol has a vasoldilator effect which could account for this. The feeling will be more pronounced if you have any cardiovascular problems, are at all dehydrated, or are deficient in one of the B vitamins. It will also of course be more pronounced if you are in general hyoper aware of boidy sensations.

Do you have any history of cardiovascular problems? Do your feet or ankles swell at all by the end of the day? Any loss of sensation in the feet or toes?

If answer to any of the above is yes you m ight do well to see a doctor. If answer to asll is no, I'd recommend:

(1) Increasing your fluid intake (non-alcoholic fluid intake). Fruit juices, sports drinks or plain water OK. A simple guide to fluid balance is the color of your urine, should be very light in color, if dark yellow or tea-colored you are dehydrated.

(2) Anytime that you have been sweating significantly be sure to replace the lost electrolytes. The widely sold Thai lemonades and fresh orange juice which come with a dash of added salt are ideal for this, so are green coconuts, or if you oprefer can go the electrolyte/sports drink route.

(3) Take a good B-comnplex supplement or multivit with all the B vits in it.

(4) Take a small amount of food before or with the beer.

Alcohol has a vasoldilator effect which could account for this. The feeling will be more pronounced if you have any cardiovascular problems, are at all dehydrated, or are deficient in one of the B vitamins. It will also of course be more pronounced if you are in general hyoper aware of boidy sensations.

Do you have any history of cardiovascular problems? Do your feet or ankles swell at all by the end of the day? Any loss of sensation in the feet or toes?

If answer to any of the above is yes you m ight do well to see a doctor. If answer to asll is no, I'd recommend:

(1) Increasing your fluid intake (non-alcoholic fluid intake). Fruit juices, sports drinks or plain water OK. A simple guide to fluid balance is the color of your urine, should be very light in color, if dark yellow or tea-colored you are dehydrated.

(2) Anytime that you have been sweating significantly be sure to replace the lost electrolytes. The widely sold Thai lemonades and fresh orange juice which come with a dash of added salt are ideal for this, so are green coconuts, or if you oprefer can go the electrolyte/sports drink route.

Thanks for the info, Sheryl.

As far as I know I have no cardiovascular problems. I've been thinking about going for an all round check up, though, because in addition to my heavy beer legs I've also been having heart palpitations (PVCs) in my neck and they sometimes make my legs and feet go tingly/numb and I get really dizzy. No swelling, though. But again, the hyper sensitivity right now could be enhancing those effects. I have just started taking a B vitamin and a calcium supplement, so maybe that'll control it better. I have a very low resting heartbeat - between 50 and 60 beats per minute, and no history of heart problems in my family. Big stress these days, though, with working full time and studying and trying to give my family the time they need and deserve....

In the meantime, I'll keep an eye on my pee.

Cheers,

TT

TT,

If by "palpitations"and "PVC"you mean that you can feel extra or skipped beats in your pulse, accompanied by dizziness, you need to be seen by a doctor at once. Suggest a cardiologist and do not delay!!! This could be quite serious.

TT,

If by "palpitations"and "PVC"you mean that you can feel extra or skipped beats in your pulse, accompanied by dizziness, you need to be seen by a doctor at once. Suggest a cardiologist and do not delay!!! This could be quite serious.

Will do. Any recommendations on who to see?

TT,

Will do. Any recommendations on who to see?

I use Dr. Visuit at Bumrungrad - he was recommended to me by another doctor. Dr. Visuit has USA experience.

Good advice..

In general the blood vessel dilating effect of alcohol will primarily affect the "blush" area; in other words, the face, upper chest and neck, not the lower limbs.

However, if there may be an underlying condition predisposing you to vasodilatation, such as estrogen deficiency during menopause; alcohol, even in minute amounts, can precipitate this under these circumstances.

Estrogen deficiency can have a myriad of effects on the body; all seemingly unrelated, including heart palpitations etc...

The test is obvious; avoid beer on a few evenings and see what happens..

Above all be reminded of the following advice from a great statesman:

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

~ Benjamin Franklin