Inquiry Into Foreigners Valuables By The Police

ludosiam

Dear Members, there are currently some activities, apparently by the police here in Korat, to inquire about foreigners houses, personal information and how many valuables are at their homes. How many other members have heard about this inquiry already? For more information you can PM me, I don't think it's a good idea to publicly talk about theories, could be bad for the board. Attached is the form submitted to me by the police.

Inquiry_1.pdf

Sounds....odd. Couldn't open the .pdf file.

yeah...I get damaged and unrepairable file from adobe reader.

however, i'm sure it's just an effort by the local police to protect all foreigners' valuable possessions or track them down if they should get burgled in the future. one would have to be paranoid to think they are taking an inventory of nice TVs, cars, stereos, gold, etc. in preparation for the day all "rich farangs" are kicked out of LOS :o

It opens fine in Foxit external reader. Indeed it sounds reasonable up to the inventory listing as only asking for normal ID type information. The inventory list is something else however - and probably should be taken up with respective Embassies. Although I suspect it was an innocent attempt to be helpful rather than part of a dark conspiracy. :o

it asks for the names of people (both thai and foreign) living at the address and for a list of possessions and a description of any damage or marks on them , it also asks for copies of various documents (identity cards etc.)

its from the police , crime suppression department , there must be a campaign on at the moment.

it seems innocuous enough , ( unless of course the information falls into the wrong hands )

but a somewhat strange request nevertheless.

Edited by taxexile

It it the bottom half of page two of his PDF attachment - an itemized list of valuables. But only room for the seven highest priced items.

The note seems to be in response to a higher authority request to take care of foreigners and there possessions and suspect this is a local office attempt to be helpful - not thinking most people (including Thai) would not be happy to make any such list.

Dear Members, there are currently some activities, apparently by the police here in Korat, to inquire about foreigners houses, personal information and how many valuables are at their homes. How many other members have heard about this inquiry already? For more information you can PM me, I don't think it's a good idea to publicly talk about theories, could be bad for the board. Attached is the form submitted to me by the police.

Thanks to provide a non corrupted PDF file.

I'm waiting for the document.

But I'm surprised by the first reactions (thai want to help, "innocuous", etc.)

I mean, are you guys sleeping, because of the hot weather ?

This inquiry is totally SURREAL.

Have you ever heard, anywhere in the world, a police service asking for a list of valuables owned by a certain type of the population ?

Personaly, I've "heard" it : in France in 1941, with the jews for instance...

Wake up !

Edited by cclub75

I would rather not fill up this form - you never know who is going to read it, info can be passed for robbers.

however, worth to make a list of valuables, mark them, photograph them and submit the missing list to the police when they get missing

I would rather not fill up this form - you never know who is going to read it, info can be passed for robbers.

however, worth to make a list of valuables, mark them, photograph them and submit the missing list to the police when they get missing

Exactly. You point out the difference : this is classic work for a (private) insurance company. I buy an insurance, I provide a list of my valuables. No problem.

But I repeat : it can't be the work of a police department !

I believe it was a demand, but since I can't read Thai well enough I probably won't be able to fill out the form anyway :o

What do you mean "I believe" ?

This form was mailed to you ? Or the police gave it to you, in hand ?

As for the translation, we can handle it. But we need a good PDF file....

It seems odd, that if they're targeting foreigner occupied homes, the form is in Thai since many (most even) can't read it reliably :o

A Thai/American collegue says that the form indicates that this is 'to help' the police rather than being mandatory. I'd leave it blank, maybe fill out the personal details bit if they insist. NOTE This would be my reaction if the police in the UK came round with a similar form.

Lists of valuables are for insurance companies, not the police (until they get lifted).

Edited by Crossy

I just read the document and do not think the intent is sinister. Basically the local police at the directive of higher ups elsewhere have been asked to assist in preventing crimes against foreigners and their property. The first page asks for documents such as passport, house registration, etc. and family details, etc. The second page asks for a list of valuable items, and to note any defects. Ostensibly this would be to help in identification if those items were recovered, although the paranoid here will I am sure assume it is a shopping list. I read it quickly, but did not see anything that indicates you are required to complete and submit the form. In fact the term used on the first page when asking for the information is the English equivalent to "We invite you". It is just some kind of community relations project, well-meaning but somewhat misguided. I recall a similar project years ago in MN, in which the police would provide you with a form to list valuables, and an engraver to etch a trackable number on items.

Nothing to see here, move along...

P.S. Jews, France in WWII, puleeze!

Edited by qualtrough

I just read the document and do not think the intent is sinister. Basically the local police at the directive of higher ups elsewhere have been asked to assist in preventing crimes against foreigners and their property. The first page asks for documents such as passport, house registration, etc. and family details, etc. The second page asks for a list of valuable items, and to note any defects. Ostensibly this would be to help in identification if those items were recovered, although the paranoid here will I am sure assume it is a shopping list. I read it quickly, but did not see anything that indicates you are required to complete and submit the form. In fact the term used on the first page when asking for the information is the English equivalent to "We invite you". It is just some kind of community relations project, well-meaning but somewhat misguided. I recall a similar project years ago in MN, in which the police would provide you with a form to list valuables, and an engraver to etch a trackable number on items.

Nothing to see here, move along...

Hope you're right with your opinion and sure agree to leave WWII and what happened there out of this discussion. I have posted this information to learn about other member's opinion and let everybody know that this inquiry is around, so everybody can prepare himself. Personally I do not see how this information can help preventing crimes.

Of course, don't take it at first degree.

But again, I'm amazed by the "sleeping pills" type of your reactions...

No, no and no, it's not normal, even by thai standards and even "to help", for a police department to issue such document.

And by the way, could you explain to me why the thais people are not entitled to such wonderfull community style project ?

however, i'm sure it's just an effort by the local police to protect all foreigners' valuable possessions or track them down if they should get burgled in the future. one would have to be paranoid to think they are taking an inventory of nice TVs, cars, stereos, gold, etc. (quote)

Paranoid people have enemies too! :o

Edited by abdulrahman

Sure.

There is a very simple test to do, for those who feel at ease with this kind of "community project" : the mirror test.

What would you say if the police in Berlin, in London, in Paris was visiting blocks of appartments, looking for all "foreign nationals" and then asking them to give a list of their valuables, in order to "fight against crime "?

Voila.

If after this test, some continue to feel sabai, then a reduction of alcohol consumption might be urgently required. :D

Why when they live in thailand, some people loose their common sense. Why one thing in their country of origin would make them react, and the same thing in Thailand will put them at sleep ?

Of course, don't take it at first degree.

But again, I'm amazed by the "sleeping pills" type of your reactions...

No, no and no, it's not normal, even by thai standards and even "to help", for a police department to issue such document.

And by the way, could you explain to me why the thais people are not entitled to such wonderfull community style project ?

Imagine if they knocked on your door in the uk and asked the same questions ! ..unbeleivable, community policing gone mad !

Sure.

There is a very simple test to do, for those who feel at ease with this kind of "community project" : the mirror test.

What would you say if the police in Berlin, in London, in Paris was visiting blocks of appartments, looking for all "foreign nationals" and then asking them to give a list of their valuables, in order to "fight against crime "?

Voila.

If after this test, some continue to feel sabai, then a reduction of alcohol consumption might be urgently required. :D

Why when they live in thailand, some people loose their common sense. Why one thing in their country of origin would make them react, and the same thing in Thailand will put them at sleep ?

i absolutely agree, the place has gone mad . where will it end ?

Finally some posters hit the nail on the head! If it really were a community project to protect foreigners and they believe it is effective - why not giving this great service to their own people first? Nobody can be so ignorant to believe that foreigners are going to be treated better than the locals from now on.

Finally some posters hit the nail on the head! If it really were a community project to protect foreigners and they believe it is effective - why not giving this great service to their own people first? Nobody can be so ignorant to believe that foreigners are going to be treated better than the locals from now on.

Do you know that they don't? If yes, how do you know? Have you been reading the Thai papers, listening to the Thai radio, and watching TV so that you keep abreast of what is going on here? Do you read the mail that comes to your house in Thai from local and or national government organizations? Or do you get your info from fellow TV members, your Thai GF, or the Thais you know who speak some English, or your own fetid imagination?

Did you know they have house registrations here, and have for years? Imagine, having to register where you live and present that paper to officials from time to time. Sounds like a nightmare straight out of 1984 (the novel). I have to wonder why any of the paranoid nutters who have blown this all out of proportion would have even moved or visited such a country in the first place??

Edited by qualtrough