Train Baggage Weight Limits

mr6kings

Anyone know what the wieght allowances are for baggage. We're travelling to Sisaket next week Either by Air Asia to Ubon or train. Bringing extra clothing and assorted goodies for the family I'm concerned about weight limits. Air Asia only allow 15 kilos I can't find any online info about trains though. Thanks for any info.

Mark Solie

Anyone know what the wieght allowances are for baggage. We're travelling to Sisaket next week Either by Air Asia to Ubon or train. Bringing extra clothing and assorted goodies for the family I'm concerned about weight limits. Air Asia only allow 15 kilos I can't find any online info about trains though. Thanks for any info.

Mark Solie

Wow, that's quite a haul by train from Hua Lamphong! 500 and something clicks!

My training has all been on the Northern Line so I can't speak for your line. My experience has been there aren't any baggage restrictions per se, but the practical situation on the trains makes a lot of heavy baggage tricky. There isn't much physical storage space. The overheads won't handle any kind of large bag easily, and there is always the risk of a bag shaking loose along the way and falling on to someone. Between the cars is usually where they store all the food, drink and rubbish are stashed. Then there is the inevitable tracking of nasty waste from in and around the toilet compartment. The only other alternative is to stash bags under your knees and rest your legs on them.

Sounds like you may be better off going by aircraft. Even there are enough of you and you can afford it, maybe you can just rent one of those 12-seat minivans and a driver for a day. It's probably a couple of tanks of gas, plus the driver's wages and a tip, plus any mark-up for wear and tear. This may possibly even be cheaper than airfare, albeit it slower, but probably a lot more comfortable and quicker than the train. If there are only 4 or 5 of you in the van, plus the driver, you should have plenty of room for all of your gear.

Good luck!

Theoretically, there are baggage allowances on the train (don't recollect what the numbers are offhand) but they are fairly generous and I can't recall any train personnel ever enforcing the limits. As Spee suggests, a problem you are more likely to encounter is a lack of space with bulkier bags.

Weight limits for flying are for a reason, that reason is to get off the ground. On a train if there are any limits they would be based on volume but I doubt that. As long as you are not shipping a baby elephant you should be fine. I have not taken a train for a long time so I don’t recall if they have any special places like a bus under the passengers.