Today I Met Mrs Pattaya

astromash

I was on a songtaew on Pattayaklang on my way to Mike Shopping Mall around midday today. This Thai lady started talking to me, very good English, about how she was returning to work in Iraq tomorrow. So I asked her what her work was. She said she'd been in the US military for the last thirty years and opened the bag at her feet briefly to show me some camouflage clothing. From her bearing I'd say a military background could fit. She then went on to say (I think) that she'd be leaving the military soon and would be returning to live in her home town ... namely Pattaya.

She then added that 'Pattaya' was in fact her last name and she was a member of the one and only family that lived in the immediate area when she was born. I asked when that was and she said 1947. There were just two families in the general area - one in Jomtien and the other, hers, in Pattaya.

We were approaching Mike Shopping Mall. "I have lots of land here," she waved an arm in the general direction of the buildings on Beach Road. "Why do you still work in the military if you have lots of property?" It was past my stop and her answer was a bit vague, along the lines of liking to have her own money and not liking chasing people for rent.

That was it.

A completely typical Pattaya wind-up? Maybe, but shortly afterwards I was kicking myself for not trying to talk to her for longer.

Yaba? Hmm... :o

The lady was late 50s, early 60s and had the vibe of a Royal Garden shop manager about her. Sharp, cleanly dressed.

No, absolutely not a hint of drugs.

What makes you doubt her story?

Hi-So Thai on the back of a songthaew :D

I dont think so

Are you sure it wasn't "Thailand's first lady of real estate" on her way to a photo shoot? I know her hubby likes to dress up in various outfits, which could explain the cammo gear. I doubt that she is really Mrs. Pattaya as this city was formerly known as Thappaya as is the road linking Pattaya and Jomtien. Does the United States of America out source its military personel these days, seems unlikely a Thai would want to join the US army unless she's become a US citizen. Interesting story none the less.

Are you sure it wasn't "Thailand's first lady of real estate" on her way to a photo shoot? I know her hubby likes to dress up in various outfits, which could explain the cammo gear. I doubt that she is really Mrs. Pattaya as this city was formerly known as Thappaya as is the road linking Pattaya and Jomtien. Does the United States of America out source its military personel these days, seems unlikely a Thai would want to join the US army unless she's become a US citizen. Interesting story none the less.

Your absolutely correct. The word Pattaya came from the name Thappaya. Glad to see someone knows their Thai history.

Barry

Are you sure it wasn't "Thailand's first lady of real estate" on her way to a photo shoot? I know her hubby likes to dress up in various outfits, which could explain the cammo gear.

Sorry, I have no idea who you are alluding to.

I doubt that she is really Mrs. Pattaya as this city was formerly known as Thappaya as is the road linking Pattaya and Jomtien.

Maybe her family's name is actually more correctly rendered as "Thappaya" and historically they got named after the road? Remember this is just a bit of chatter in a songtaew, she wouldn't necessarily go into all the detail.

Does the United States of America out source its military personel these days, seems unlikely a Thai would want to join the US army unless she's become a US citizen.

Yes, this part of her story certainly got me wondering. If she met a Yank in Pattaya in the 1960s or 1970s and married and went to the States with him and got citizenship could she subsequently enroll in the US armed forces? I have no idea.

Interesting story none the less.

Well, thank you for that at least.

Edited by astromash

The lady was late 50s, early 60s and had the vibe of a Royal Garden shop manager about her. Sharp, cleanly dressed.

I heard way too many amazing stories in Thailand..... :D

As a side note, a citizen of any country can join and become a member of the US military, as long as they pass the background checks and meet the requirements for fitness, etc. US citizenship is not required. I've met quite a few Canadians, Swedes, Germans, Filipinos, Thais, even Brits who served in the US armed forces....

Just the other day I saw Mr. Bangkok, Ms. Phuket, and Mrs. Chiang Mai standing on the beach.

Arguing over who was the better swimmer, each proclaimed, "I can swim to Koh Larn the fastest."

Waiting at Koh Larn was Captain Hoh Larn himself to crown the fastest swimmer in the land.

Mr. Bangkok jumped in the water. But he had had too much too drink. He only made it aout a third of the way and drowned.

Mrs. Chiang Mai stripped naked and jumped in the water. She started swimming but a jet ski operator zoomed in for a closer look at the naked fat lady. He hit her by accident and she died.

So Ms. Phuket, a professional diver, jumped in the water. She swam half way and then disappeared, never to be seen again.

After this day, I've been riding o the back of Baht buses hoping to meet the legendary Mrs. Pattaya. She is a rare breed indeed. Survivor of many misfortunes that most Thai place namesake people have succumbed to.

Where are you Mrs. Pattaya?

Edited by MisterFingers

As a side note, a citizen of any country can join and become a member of the US military, as long as they pass the background checks and meet the requirements for fitness, etc. US citizenship is not required. I've met quite a few Canadians, Swedes, Germans, Filipinos, Thais, even Brits who served in the US armed forces....

You have to be legally resident in the US though. You cannot have any tourist type from another country saying...." I know ! I,ll join the military! "

Edited by stevemiddie

Thanks for that.

Can someone still be serving at age 59/60?

I was on a songtaew on Pattayaklang on my way to Mike Shopping Mall around midday today. This Thai lady started talking to me, very good English, about how she was returning to work in Iraq tomorrow. So I asked her what her work was. She said she'd been in the US military for the last thirty years and opened the bag at her feet briefly to show me some camouflage clothing. From her bearing I'd say a military background could fit. She then went on to say (I think) that she'd be leaving the military soon and would be returning to live in her home town ... namely Pattaya.

She then added that 'Pattaya' was in fact her last name and she was a member of the one and only family that lived in the immediate area when she was born. I asked when that was and she said 1947. There were just two families in the general area - one in Jomtien and the other, hers, in Pattaya.

We were approaching Mike Shopping Mall. "I have lots of land here," she waved an arm in the general direction of the buildings on Beach Road. "Why do you still work in the military if you have lots of property?" It was past my stop and her answer was a bit vague, along the lines of liking to have her own money and not liking chasing people for rent.

That was it.

A completely typical Pattaya wind-up? Maybe, but shortly afterwards I was kicking myself for not trying to talk to her for longer.

Shes probably entertaining the troops as well as you ! :o

I dont recall seeing any young ladies in Thappaya in 1962 only a few old codgers fishing :D the first young ladies appeared with a mamasan from Ubon, in early 1963 shortly after we had estabelished a permanent R&R basha there :D Nignoy

Are you sure it wasn't "Thailand's first lady of real estate" on her way to a photo shoot? I know her hubby likes to dress up in various outfits, which could explain the cammo gear.

Sorry, I have no idea who you are alluding to.

I doubt that she is really Mrs. Pattaya as this city was formerly known as Thappaya as is the road linking Pattaya and Jomtien.

Maybe her family's name is actually more correctly rendered as "Thappaya" and historically they got named after the road? Remember this is just a bit of chatter in a songtaew, she wouldn't necessarily go into all the detail.

Does the United States of America out source its military personel these days, seems unlikely a Thai would want to join the US army unless she's become a US citizen.

Yes, this part of her story certainly got me wondering. If she met a Yank in Pattaya in the 1960s or 1970s and married and went to the States with him and got citizenship could she subsequently enroll in the US armed forces? I have no idea.

Interesting story none the less.

Well, thank you for that at least.

Check out the cover and the story in the latest new look Pattaya Property and lifestyle guide and you may know who I'm referring to, you may know the fella who likes to dress up as a swordsman in his fencing gear and also a boxer who's been battered around the ring several times.

I dont recall seeing any young ladies in Thappaya in 1962 only a few old codgers fishing :D the first young ladies appeared with a mamasan from Ubon, in early 1963 shortly after we had estabelished a permanent R&R basha there :o Nignoy

Wow, you were visiting Pattaya from 1962 onwards? Would love to read your recollections of the place. Did a quick search on your handle but couldn't see any posts on this topic.

Edited by astromash

Check out the cover and the story in the latest new look Pattaya Property and lifestyle guide and you may know who I'm referring to, you may know the fella who likes to dress up as a swordsman in his fencing gear and also a boxer who's been battered around the ring several times.

Elton John?

Cheers

Elton John?

Cheers

Close but no banana :o

Patpong was named after old mr Patpong, A real cute and nice guy.

Hmm so.....Khun Cowboy must have been another soi owner then--- :o

Trink reckons he named Soi Cowboy.

I used to work for K. Patpong.

Cheers

I remember Trink writing that - it was after "Cowboy" of the Loretta Bar though was it not?

Black Vietnam Vet with daughter called Loretta?