Finally Built My Pc

Dissolution

Many thanks to everyone who helped me along the way. I've finally built my new gaming PC! :D

On the day I went down to Fortune Town to get the parts, somehow... everything was out of stock. Every single shop. Every item I verified they had stock of 2 days prior mysteriously disappeared, so I had to do with a bunch of alternate parts.

New PC config:

ASUS Vento 3600 Case

ASUS 550w PSU

ASUS P5KR Mobo

ASUS Silent Knight CPU Heatsink

LG Multi-DVD Rewriter

Seagate 120GB 10,000RPM HDD (Small, I know, but it'll do for now, or I could pull a HDD from my other PC.)

Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 2GB

Intel Q6600 running at 3.0Ghz

Razer DeathAdder 3G mouse

MS Multimedia keyboard

Finally after a few hours, OC'ed to an acceptable level, OS/etc. installed... just missing games. :D

Again, many, many thanks to everyone here! :D

Now if I could only get a better international net line... :o

Oops, left those out.

CPU at ~42 degrees C, non-airconditioned room, at load. (3DMark06 CPU Test)

Board RAM capacity max is 8GB. The current 2GB seems to be enough, but I might pick up another 2GB next month. Mobo has 4 slots, so 4x 1GB.

Graphics card is an ASUS EN8800GTS 640mb.

Ironically... I've never really liked/used ASUS. Been Gigabyte all the way, but this new PC is 95% ASUS.

As for the Corsair RAM, on hindsight, OCZ might've been better, but those are even harder to find here.

I'd OC the CPU higher, but PSU was missing one male connector to plug in the chasis' rear fan. So until I go back down to Fortune and pick one of those up, I'm not sure it'd be a good idea to try for any higher.

60 degrees is high. By the time you reach 70 you may start to see problems. 50 and below is quite stable.

Obviously this will vary between CPUs - but in general these are good signposts.

Even with a stock cooler, you should not be hitting 60, especially in air-conditioning. I would take a good close look to see if it's been mounted properly, or if the silicone has dried up.

Update:

Sounds stupid now, but in my excitement, I apparently overlooked plugging in my rear fan. CPU temps hits a max of 41 degrees, while playing Supreme Commander at max settings for about 8 hours, in an un-airconditioned room.

:o

On the other hand, CPU hit a max of 66 degrees with engine and memory clocked at 650/2000 respectively.

o.O;;

60 degrees is a tad high... I can't remember the 'safe' threshold for 6600s. What speed is your CPU running at?

3.2 Ghz :D:D

Ima get a Zalman Heatsink soon.. :o

Running ALL 4 cores using Prim95 makes it go up as high as 60 C..

But with games like TF2 and HL2 Ep. 2 , it runs at around 48-55 C :D

I purchased an ASUS Artic Square cooler the other day for a smidgen under 2k baht

sexy piece of shiny shiny - but it works very well - I will have to think about overclocking to bring the CPU temp up a little

asus_artic_square.gif

Wow how does that fit into the case?

Also wow that can hold alot of RAM!

Edited by zzdocxx