Learning thai

Just to take an earlier post further, what is the best way to learn thai. as in do any of u have any good advice or places or ways to learn the language, Probably initially just conversation, and then later learn to read and write. I live in Brisbane(australia) and realise it is probably more difficult, but suggestions would be great.

Sorry to the previous poster, and the person who suggested this might make a great post, didnt mean to steal  your thunder, just have a desire, and respect for the culture and way of life to want to learn and converse with them on there own terms for a change

The best in depth course I have ever come across is the Linquaphone course, language and script with native Thai speakers.

It's a little expensive but if you are serious you will be amazed on the results after a short time.

And like a Rolex watch there is always a second hand market you can sell back into when you have finished it!

Good Luck Sev

Alla,

Why do you want to learn Thai? If you're serious about it, i.e. you will come to live here for a while, then go for it...but it's not a straightforward language. Try this for starters...(maybe a bit tricky without the sound!)

Try saying ngor ngoo. (The snake) - ง

Try saying dtor dtow (The turtle) - ต

Try saying bplor bplar (The fish) - ป

These are all very common letters in the thai alphabet. www.learningthai.com is a good site for listening to thai.

If you cannot master these sounds then maybe try learning spanish! I'm not even going to go into the tones either. If you're a natural then go for it. It's a beautiful language if you can master it. Choek dee na krup.

ps. bad luck about your cane toads!!!   ha ha ha

go you cockroaches..................................................................

Hi edward

thanks for the reply. I want to learn thai, because i love the place and the culture, and of course it makes it alot easier to get around if you know what is being sad, and know how to say and ask for things.(not ding dong falang).

I would love to live in thailand for a period of time but at this stage work does not permit this, so i suppose it is a sort of hobby at the moment, which adds to the excitement back home, and the anticipation to when i can get back(october).

HOpe fully one day i will get over there for maybe a year or so, so to be prepared is not a bad thing is it.

Well state of origin, big publicity stunt, u needed to catch up, to put more money in the coffers, and to make it more marketble(Lol). seriously u spanked us, and i think u will again in the third one, We are at the end of our time, we need fresh young tallent, at the moment we have the old heads, and we play an old style of state of origin, u know 3 rucks up before it even reaches the backline, u guys it reaches the backline on the first ruck. But anyway u guys need to have something to justify why u live there in the first place> Qld is like thailand once u come here u want to stay

You might want to check out Fundamentals of the Thai Language on this site.  It contains the rules for the use of Thai characters, and it's a free download also.

http://www.geocities.com/funthai/.  You can also get some help at http://lexitron.nectec.or.th/

If you are serious about learning Thai, see if you can find a tutor to teach you how to write.  (You might be able to use Fundamentals for that if no tutor is available.) If you can write, you will be able to read.  If you can read, you will more easily learn how to pronounce the characters and tones.  Being able to read a sign is great for confidence. You will be able to use a dictionary with Thai characters. One method is to get ahold of some childrens' books that have the Thai letters on top and plenty of space to practice below.  

For a pocket phrase dictionary try Robertson's Practical English-Thai Dictionary.   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/080...1433284-9262202

If you can write, you will be able to read.  If you can read, you will more easily learn how to pronounce the characters and tones.

You don't need to know how to write in order to read. Your eyes just gets used to the characters (no offence meant, caughtintheact).

Mr. N tool,

Just to pick you up on your logic (no offense intended either), but "If you can write, then you will be able to read" does not imply that to be able to read you must first know how to write. Get my drift? I think cita was just saying that learning to write is a good way to learn how to read.

Right?  :o

Whichever, whatever. The point remains the same. You don't have to learn to write before you can read.

In fact, some people do it the other way around: read first, then learn to write. Others read and don't write; some read without writing at all; and others speak without reading or writing.

Most, in my experience, do none of the above, Edward B, because they can't be bothered.

Try getting to know some of the local Thai population in brissy. You may be able to participate in a language exchange where you get to learn some thai and also share the joys of the english language with some thais. By the way - Thai is much easier to learn than english, less complicated grammer.

The best way to get your head around the tones is by listening to them being spoken and imitating them. I have heard it said that Australians are able to speak Thai more clearly compared to their cousins in US or UK because of their relatively neutral accent.

I'm sure others have other names for it than "neutral" though. :o

Never said it was mandatory to learn to write first.  I'm only speaking from personal experience....I learned to write, which made it easier to read.  I think it probably depends on which side of the brain works best for languages, but I've learned a few in my time and always had to work at learning them.  At any rate, I can read, write and speak Thai, so there must be some value in the method.

That's very true for common Thai, but it gets pretty complicated if you have to learn what I'll call for lack of better words "upper class" Thai, and then there's the languuage of the religion, and RachaSap, which is almost a totally new vocabulary to have to learn.  

At any rate when one can read, being able to picture the words as you speak helps a lot....at least for me.  I remember standing in front of a morror years ago practicing the ง sound until I finally got it so I could say it at the beginning of a word without having to think much about it.

Dr Pat Pong thanks for the info,  the course is at the moment on a thursday night, which at this stage i cant attend due to work, but thanks for the info

Caught in the Act, thanks for the website i have had a quick check and it looks to be a great help. So thanks once again guys for the help

I've mentioned this before on several other similar posts.

Most Thai Temples abroad that I have been to offer language courses at next to nothing (or sometimes nothing at all). It is taught without religion; separate classes for this. There is a massive supply of Thai's top talk to and get to know - never met a Buddhist Monk that didn't like to 'chew the fat' (as our American friends say). Mostly these are run for the children of local Thais (and farang noi) and run at a weekend so as not to interupt the normal schooling, there are often farangs there to - Fathers mostly - trying to learn, but it always seems to be open to anyone seriously wishing to learn. Try a visit or phone call to your local Wat.

PS: You will often be fed at the temple (at noon after the Monks have eaten). It is customary to bring some food to share.

Here's a funny (true) comment about my own attempts to speak/read/write Thai :o

I've been working on my own to learn the language, so I can chat to the bar-girl of my previous postings.  All is going well and she is helping me to get a grip on things :D

I'm just back in the UK from 10 days in BKK and really want to keep practicing my Thai when I'm in blighty.  No Thai tutors in my area so what can i do?  I know!! Ask at the local Thai restaurant...

So tonight I go down to a Thai restaurant in my town and have a meal.  The waitress is about 20 years old, Thai, and looks as cute as ####!!  I explain my problem to her and ask if she knows of any Thai teachers or perhaps one of her friends who might be able to help.

She looked deep into my eyes and whispered 'I will be your teacher...'

Shame on you Simon. You were worried about your girl in LOS and here you are butterflying on her. Haha! Your girlfriend will never believe that she is just teaching you thai! It may be safer to take Wolfs advice and go to the temple.

:cool: