Thai Driving Licence In English

I have made a booking for a rental car when I arrive at Heathrow.

The car-rental firm will accept "any current driving licence, provided it is written in English".

From this Forum, I thought I could get that Translation at the Thai Government Office that issued my driving licence (Kumpawapi, in Udon Thani Province). But they couldn't.

The senior official phoned his boss in Udon Thani, and then said that it could be done at Non Khai (as they got people there wanting to drive in Laos) but the driving licence office in Nong Khai said they couldn't do it for UK.

Has anybody driven in UK on a Thai licence, and how did they do it, please???

Thanks, lopburi3.

Now I see it again, I recognise that that is where I had got my impression from. I think my mistake was to have remembered "Transport Office of the province..." as 'the place you got your licence'. Not so!. I will try in Udon next week.

Anticipating the same problem when I go to Australia this fall, I went to the Transportation Department in Chiang Mai to get my international license this week. Not difficult, but they send everything to Bangkok, so pricinces require extra fees, 505 Baht for handling, stamp and special post office envelope.

Also, 20 days is required, while in Bangkok, it is a one day affair.