When, If Ever, Will Pattaya Get Bangkok Style Taxi Meters?

Jingthing

When, if ever, will Pattaya get Bangkok style taxi meters?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As it has been conclusively proven on a poll asking if people in Pattaya WANT Bangkok taxi meters as an optional transport choice to complement the baht bus service (80 percent do want this) and given the powerful dark forces suppressing this great civic move forward, when do you think this might happen?

Remember, it isn't impossible.

Not so long ago even in Bangkok you couldn't get drivers to turn on their meters, now almost all of them do.

Change for the better happens, yes, even in Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

Remember what Pattaya looked like 10 years ago?

20 years ago?

Do you really think it won't change RADICALLY in the next 10 years?

That is why I think it is possible this change will happen within 10 years.

Pattaya has outgrown its quaint transport system. It isn't adequate for the big city Pattaya has become.

Here is the basis of my optimistic theory. Big Thai money will be developing attractions for tourists outside the baht bus routes. They know upscale tourists will not be taking moto taxis there and they will not like fighting with greedy extortionate baht bus thugs. Tourists want predictable fare, safe transport, not stress and fights. This big Thai money which is usually BANGKOK money, will eventually trump the power and corruption of the baht bus interests. It is always about the money. These new developments will suffer without the <deleted> in the chairs.

Give them Bangkok style taxi meters and they will come.

Edited by Jingthing

Traffic congestion may become an important factor in keeping additional transport modes out. I don't think the roads could handle baht buses AND taxis.

Perhaps a compromise would be best. The baht buses continue to work the main tourist routes whereas the metered taxis have stands in less conjested areas where baht buses are scarce.

I think some kind of call in taxi service is desperately needed ASAP.

Edited by tropo

I voted for the piggs however I don't like pork.Think about taxi meters in a city/town as pattaya which is aprproximate 50 square kilometers big.If they use the same charging system as in bangkok they would never be able to charge you more the startup amount.That means you could call them 35 baht taxis instead of taxi meters.They are not very smart but also not that stupid.

I voted for the piggs however I don't like pork.Think about taxi meters in a city/town as pattaya which is aprproximate 50 square kilometers big.If they use the same charging system as in bangkok they would never be able to charge you more the startup amount.That means you could call them 35 baht taxis instead of taxi meters.They are not very smart but also not that stupid.

Not true! There is traffic here. The meters move on time also. There are also plenty of longer trips such as Jomtien to North Pattaya.

I think that most of the users of taxis will be people living on the dark side of Sukhumvit. If they think that taxi drivers will happily take them all the way out there and then drive back empty without a fight about fares they are up for a surprise.

Still I think that a few taxi stands around town would be fine but NO cruising taxis, traffic is bad enough as it is.

Considering that a baht bus can carry around 8 to 10 people and a 'Bangkok Style Taxi Meter' can carry 2 or 3, I cannot see where the amount of traffic will be improved by replacing the former with the latter.

And just forget about some hybrid solution with both vehicles plying the same routes.

What poll subject next?

"Will Grape Nuts ever be available in Pattaya at reasonable prices?"

Considering that a baht bus can carry around 8 to 10 people and a 'Bangkok Style Taxi Meter' can carry 2 or 3, I cannot see where the amount of traffic will be improved by replacing the former with the latter.

And just forget about some hybrid solution with both vehicles plying the same routes.

What poll subject next?

Most of the time Songteaw don't have more then 2 or 3 passengers. Many (and I mean many) are empty. Cut the amount of Busses by 50%. They would still earn more money working just every other day. Trow some taxis in and everything would be fine. But I don't care anymore. I have my own transport.

What poll subject next?

No, don't you get it?

The taxis would mostly be for special trips and the many places not covered at all by the baht bus routes. Look at a map of the cities. The baht buses only cover very limited areas. West of the 2nd road, there are only three cross town routes. 3rd road isn't covered at all. The hill area between Jomtien and Pattaya not covered at all. I really don't understand people who don't see the severe need for taxis. The baht bus drivers when they convert themselves into PIRATE TAXI CHARTERS see the need. They would laugh their greedy mafia heads off thinking farangs are making excuses for them and don't see the massive extortionate business they do exploiting this need which they monopolize. They want to control this monopoly forever and it seems people think they probably will.

Another point, if a proper number of taxi meters was allowed, it should mean that MANY baht buses who sit around as PIRATE TAXI CHARTERS clogging up certain areas around town waiting to do their highway robbery act should be put off the streets and replaced by taxi meter cars (smaller, greener). The baht buses are great as BUSES, when the taxi meter cars are introduced, the idea of baht buses as taxis should be finished.

Of course, some people will want to also take taxis to places on the baht bus routes, if they just don't like sitting in a hot/wet cattle truck, are dressed up and want to arrive in a fancier way somewhere. Don't forget we have many frail older residents who are endangering their health by taking the cattle trucks. Where is the arrogance coming from to deny people this free economic CHOICE?

Cities the size and population of Pattaya ALL OVER THE WORLD employ a MIX of buses and taxi meter cars. I still don't get the negativism about why this should not/can not happen in Pattaya.

Edited by Jingthing

No, don't you get it?

The taxis would mostly be for special trips and the many places not covered at all by the baht bus routes. Look at a map of the cities. The baht buses only cover very limited areas. West of the 2nd road, there are only three cross town routes. 3rd road isn't covered at all. The hill area between Jomtien and Pattaya not covered at all. I really don't understand people who don't see the severe need for taxis. The baht bus drivers when they convert themselves into PIRATE TAXI CHARTERS see the need. They would laugh their greedy mafia heads off thinking farangs are making excuses for them and don't see the massive extortionate business they do exploiting this need which they monopolize. They want to control this monopoly forever and it seems people think they probably will.

Another point, if a proper number of taxi meters was allowed, it should mean that MANY baht buses who sit around as PIRATE TAXI CHARTERS clogging up certain areas around town waiting to do their highway robbery act should be put off the streets and replaced by taxi meter cars (smaller, greener). The baht buses are great as BUSES, when the taxi meter cars are introduced, the idea of baht buses as taxis should be finished.

Snip........

I voted with the pigs, however I would like to see real aircon meter taxis in Pattaya before I die. It would be nice to get transport over to the "darkside" after dark, and I don't mean motocy taxis that want B200 to go up Soi Siam Country Club :o . I have the ones that go through Nongprue to go to Pong for only B70, although some of them need convincing at times :D . A proper taxi from central Pattaya would improve my social life, one with a phone number. :D

BTW Jomtien hill and 3rd Rd are covered by the mafia, you just have to be patient or enjoy walking. I have caught mafia busses in both areas, but that was the exception rather than the rule.

Any tourists coming here to see tourist attractions beyond bahtbus routes would be the ones on package tours, transport included or would book through a travel company here and not need the yellow'n'green taxis anyway. And what a nice new job for all the ousted bahtbus drivers yellow'ngreen meter cab drivers, with their own set rates of course!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW Jomtien hill and 3rd Rd are covered by the mafia, you just have to be patient or enjoy walking. I have caught mafia busses in both areas, but that was the exception rather than the rule.

If you can't use it reliably enough to make an appointment, a movie, a dinner date, go to a job ... it isn't covered.

Other poster: not all tourists, expats, and residents are package tourists on tour buses. They are also part of the mix.

Eyes on the prize: Bangkok style taxi meters in Pattaya by 2017!

China can go to the moon. Pattaya can take a taxi meter.

On the issue of people going east of Suk, I suppose a standard SURCHARGE for trips outside the usual limits would be an option. I have heard of such surcharges being used in Hong Kong for airport taxi trips.

None of these trivial objections people have raised are at all not solvable. The fatalism of people here amazes me. Like I said before, there are also cases where transport situations have gotten better, much better, and again, BANGKOK is the model.

Edited by Jingthing

I'm with Jingthing on this issue.

I didn't vote in the poll, because I couldn't find the section that said "The sooner the better"

I have nothing against baht buses. I would still use them- when they go where I want to go. It would be nice, however, to get one to go to 3rd Road or to get from Carrefore to Beach Road without the need to take two baht buses (95% turn right onto 2nd Road).

Actually Pattaya does have quite a few Bangkok Taxis driving around - waiting for a fare back to Bangkok. Why not allow them to pick us passengers using the meter whilst they are waiting for the return trip to Bangkok? It would be a simple way to test the demand and the effect. A six month trial period would be a good idea.

There is nothing wrong with choice and competion.

Wow - pigs are winging their way over Patters as we speak. :o

But I am sure you will be there to shoot them down from your passing baht bus ...

However, be advised that eating grilled flying pig is classified as cannibalism in some municipalities.

Edited by Jingthing

I voted 10 years as I agree with jingthing that pattaya will change so much in that time you can see it happening now. On the darkside where I live there is no taxi service that you can use to take you where you want to go so I walk everywhere or use my car. If you drive around outside the main pattaya area you will see how many new buildings are going up all the time what will it be like in 10 years? There will be a greater demand for good public transport in the future and it will come, its called progress. I can"t understand why some other posters on here don"t want this to happen is it because they are selfish and its ok for them that live in a main baht bus route or is it apathy. The Baht bus mafia has made them all believe it will never happen but everyone knows you can't stop progress. I hope it will come sooner than 10 years we will just have to wait and see.

Remember what Pattaya looked like 10 years ago?

20 years ago?

Do you really think it won't change RADICALLY in the next 10 years?

That is why I think it is possible this change will happen within 10 years.

Pattaya has outgrown its quaint transport system. It isn't adequate for the big city Pattaya has become.

Here is the basis of my optimistic theory. Big Thai money will be developing attractions for tourists outside the baht bus routes. They know upscale tourists will not be taking moto taxis there and they will not like fighting with greedy extortionate baht bus thugs. Tourists want predictable fare, safe transport, not stress and fights. This big Thai money which is usually BANGKOK money, will eventually trump the power and corruption of the baht bus interests. It is always about the money. These new developments will suffer without the <deleted> in the chairs.

Give them Bangkok style taxi meters and they will come.

I remember what Pattaya looked like 30 years ago - and wish it still did.

No baht buses then - a few taxis. But still the big tourist coaches tearing along unsuitable roads, same as now.

How big a percentage of baht bus pasengers are tourists / farangs?

As the majority of the population are working Thais, it is they who will determine the composition of the public transport system - and that means chesp. No air-con, no fancy bus routes.

Maybe on the dark side there could be some service, but throughout most of urban Patters this will not be practicable.

How big a percentage of baht bus pasengers are tourists / farangs?

As the majority of the population are working Thais, it is they who will determine the composition of the public transport system - and that means chesp. No air-con, no fancy bus routes.

Maybe on the dark side there could be some service, but throughout most of urban Patters this will not be practicable.

In the off season many more Thais. High season, many more farangs. I fail to comprehend your logic. Why not many options for transport including low cost baht buses? A mix. Thats what really cities offer, a mix, a choice.

Mafias and monopolies (often the same thing) are bad for the general population, tourists and residents, true here, true anywhere.

Edited by Jingthing

Amazing! Amazing! Amazing!

But what relation does the Pattaya transportation cooperative have to the baht bus cooperative?

That is the BIG MISTAKE that Chiang Mai made. Their taxis are controlled by their baht bus mafia, and they do not provide good service and do not use meters! They also do the exact same rip off games as the tuk tuk and baht buses do.

But still, some glimmer of a hopeful development and much sooner than even optimists like me could have imagined! There was nothing in the article on whether fares are "negotiated" or metered even though there was a quoted starting price. This will make the real difference on whether this is the beginning a great new day in Pattaya transport, or just more highway robbers.

PATTAYA TAXI METER PHONE NUMBER: 038-423-554

Welcome to cosmopolitan Pattaya. Taxis and all.

For all those who support this fantastic development, please try out the taxis. If they do not operate fairly or they do not use meters, please make a big stink to the local media. Tell them what we need and want by a vast majority! REAL Bangkok style taxi meters in Pattaya that operate and function similar to Bangkok USING THE METERS. If there is huge demand, we are well on our way to great progress. If not, or they are doing it wrong and WE DO NOT COMPLAIN, this experiment could mean the death of this progress. It is up to us.

Edited by Jingthing