Need Prisoner Information Please

kankaroo

A man from Scotland (my home town I believe) has just been convicted of apparently assaulting somebody at the airport before his outbound journey home (Don Mueang). I don't know the guy but his family don't seem to be visiting him or know anything ?!?!?

One of his distant relatives contacted me to find out what prison he will be incarcerated in.

BTW he got 5 years.

I am thinking Klong Prem. I need to know how to find out for sure.

He was held in the detention centre for almost a year before his trial and his Dad only visited him once and said the place looks like a "5 star hotel" because they had a shiny sign outside, aircon inside etc ?!?!?!? :o

Now if this is the only help the guy is getting, I think he really needs all the help he can get.

Any advice guys ?

PS : His First name is Darren, and second is something unusual like McDunnes or something, but I will find out tomorrow for sure.

Like I say, I never met the guy or his family or even know what really happened with the incident at the airport.

Cheers.

Should be in the papers I would have thought.

Broken boned, crippled, unable to support family, was good looking, but now disfigured guy, close to death in attempted murder at airport, misses flight home.

5 years in prison etc. I agree.

We need to look back in the papers 1 year ( were you here then? ) Maybe more. The OP did say he had been in detention a long time.

I think the answer may be here!!!!

Prisoner thread

"Another case I am following at the moment involves a guy from the United Kingdom. In a state of deep depression (he was having problems with a Thai girlfriend who just stole all his money) he got drunk in one of the bars at the airport. The waiter was verbally abusing him (according to witnesses) and the UK guy picked up a knife from the counter top and stabbed the waiter. The Thai man was in hospital for four days and has now fully recovered. The UK guy was charged with ATTEMPTED MURDER. This happened back in October 2006. His courtcase has only just started and he has been in prison up until this time. He hasn't coped at all with the prison ordeal and often isn't aware of what is happening around him"

Edited by andyadam

I am thinking Klong Prem. I need to know how to find out for sure.

His First name is Darren, and second is something unusual like McDunnes or something, but I will find out tomorrow for sure.

Didn't find anyone matching those details, but this site provides information on how to find prisoners and how to contact them:

http://www.phaseloop.com/foreignprisoners/...s-thailand.html

I think the answer may be here!!!!

Prisoner thread

"Another case I am following at the moment involves a guy from the United Kingdom. In a state of deep depression (he was having problems with a Thai girlfriend who just stole all his money) he got drunk in one of the bars at the airport. The waiter was verbally abusing him (according to witnesses) and the UK guy picked up a knife from the counter top and stabbed the waiter. The Thai man was in hospital for four days and has now fully recovered. The UK guy was charged with ATTEMPTED MURDER. This happened back in October 2006. His courtcase has only just started and he has been in prison up until this time. He hasn't coped at all with the prison ordeal and often isn't aware of what is happening around him"

That airport can be a bastard - never cried at Swampy Poom but DM is a different story :o

Best of luck to the OP in finding the guy. I would tend to think that the sort of neglect that some foreign prisoners receive would not make them good candidates for re-introduction to society. It's a good idea to do what we can for them in the way of helping them deal in a more positive way since they will eventually be out there with us again.

Right or wrong, I think that is for the judge to decide. As I read this topic right “Manchester” ask only for info where the guy is. I couldn’t see where he did ask if you want to convict him

Here in Nonthaburi we have beside a nice and big prison also the department of corrections.

Here the address;

THAI DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS 222 Nonthaburi 1 Road , Nonthaburi Province 11000 , Thailand Tel: +66 (0) 2967-2222 * Fax: +66 (0) 2967-2408 www.correct.go.th/eng/eng.htm

Maybe they can help you where he is.

Succes

Ok guys just got to the bottom of this, thanks to andyadam for his very helpful link as this turned out to be the guy. Also thanks to all the other board members who had positive input. It appears he is being held at Samut Prakan prison and from what I have heard he was deserving of a sentence.

Apparently he is in a very bad way and is not coping at all, in a way it is a case of "song nom na" but it doesn't look like he will pull through, he is currently in the hospital. His family have set up a way to send him funds.

I just hope that if he does pull through this, he will have learned from his time there and maybe be act like a responsible human being in the future.

The UK certainly does NOT need more of his type roaming around.

Thanks again,

Kankaroo.

Ok guys just got to the bottom of this, thanks to andyadam for his very helpful link as this turned out to be the guy. Also thanks to all the other board members who had positive input. It appears he is being held at Samut Prakan prison and from what I have heard he was deserving of a sentence.

Apparently he is in a very bad way and is not coping at all, in a way it is a case of "song nom na" but it doesn't look like he will pull through, he is currently in the hospital. His family have set up a way to send him funds.

I just hope that if he does pull through this, he will have learned from his time there and maybe be act like a responsible human being in the future.

The UK certainly does NOT need more of his type roaming around.

Thanks again,

Kankaroo.

Sorry to be nosey but might not pull through?

Has he caught something in jail - a condition worsened?

How old is he - 30's- 40's?

Best of luck to the OP in finding the guy. I would tend to think that the sort of neglect that some foreign prisoners receive would not make them good candidates for re-introduction to society. It's a good idea to do what we can for them in the way of helping them deal in a more positive way since they will eventually be out there with us again.

I second that Scott. I can't believe how quickly the OP's thread got inundated by people giving their "opinions" - nothing to do with the OP's post and request for information....

Prisons in Thailand are NOT a nice place to be and people should not always be so quick to judge, based on what is sometimes "half a story" reported in The Nation or the Bangkok Post (or ThaiVisa!)... :D Usually, there is more to the story than meets the eye. Of course I am not saying everybody is innocent, but one should learn and know the whole story before being so quick to judge, IMHO.

There are a number of ways in which things can go "wrong" in the Police, Justice & Court system of Thailand...Things can quickly spiral out of control and lengthy prison sentences can be incurred and after the sentencing, the appeal process can take a long time to come to court.

For example:- see the recent acquittal of British man, Jody Aggett http://www.usp.com.au/fpss/news-thailand/news-agget103.html

Another post re: recent release of British man, Alan John Davies http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england...ire/6662065.stm

Back on topic!! Kankaroo - I am glad you were successful in finding the information you required.

As a point of interest, if anybody is in this situation again & is trying to locate somebody and the alleged offence occured in Bangkok and the case has already been heard in Court, then it is worth contacting Klong Prem Central Prison. (Another poster above - dutchrdam - gave the contact details). Ask to speak to/ see Khun Patcharin (lady), - you need to provide the name, nationality, alleged crime etc. She should be able to assist or at least point you in the right direction to locate the prisoner.

Often, if people are not being held at the Immigration Detention Centre (IDC) on Suan Phlu, people are held in Bangkok Remand Prison during the initial remand period, both prior to sentencing and often after when sentences are given for up to three years. Sentences of three years or more usually involve a subsequent transfer to Klong Prem Central Prison. (BKK Remand Prison is located on the same Nonthaburi prison complex as Klong Prem Central Prison).

Hope the above is useful if anybody (unfortunately) finds themselves in a situation like the OP.

:o

A man from Scotland (my home town I believe) has just been convicted of apparently assaulting somebody at the airport before his outbound journey home (Don Mueang). I don't know the guy but his family don't seem to be visiting him or know anything ?!?!?

Darren was recently sentenced to 6 years and 8 months. He has been clinically depressed for the past year - started before the incident at the airport. After about 6 months the prison authorities at Samut Prakan finally admitted that he had health problems and he was transferred to the prison hospital at Klong Prem (Lad Yao) in Bangkok. After his sentencing at the Criminal Court in Samut Prakan, he returned to the local prison for a few days. He was then transferred back to the hospital at Klong Prem. I haven't seen Daren for a couple of months but his "friends" at the prison said he was looking much better and actually taking part in conversations. Before he just spent the day curled up in a ball on the floor and wouldn't eat or wash. His cellmates had to force him to do everything. Darren's father told me that they will appeal and will also try to get him out on bail.

I am not sure if he is allowed visitors at the prison hospital, nor when he will return to Samut Prakan Prison. Jeff Mitchel at the British Embassy can help you with this. I might try and go and visit Darren next week. You can contact me through my website at www.thaiprisonlife.com if you need more details.

BTW, I mentioned on a previous thread that the chances were high that some TV members would end up in prison eventually - possibly through no fault of their own. I was immediately flamed with numerous sarcastic comments. However, one month later I visited my first TV forum member at Samut Prakan Prison and then a short while later a friend of a TV member. An American guy just got sentenced to three years because he used a "visa service" who promised they would take his passport to the border to renew his visa. The visa turned out to be forged. Normally this offense gets you one year. Most foreigners are being arrested at the airport for either passport problems or stealing something at duty free (sometimes absentmindedly). Something as small as a bottle of shampoo has resulted in sentences ranging from 6 months to one year in prison. I will repeat what I said before. Be very careful at the airport. In particular if you are passing through and are jetlagged. You won't be able to talk your way out of it as King Power always press charges. There are currently nearly 800 foreigners at Samut Prakan Prison.

OK, let the flaming start....

BTW, I mentioned on a previous thread that the chances were high that some TV members would end up in prison eventually - possibly through no fault of their own. I was immediately flamed with numerous sarcastic comments. However, one month later I visited my first TV forum member at Samut Prakan Prison and then a short while later a friend of a TV member. An American guy just got sentenced to three years because he used a "visa service" who promised they would take his passport to the border to renew his visa. The visa turned out to be forged. Normally this offense gets you one year. Most foreigners are being arrested at the airport for either passport problems or stealing something at duty free (sometimes absentmindedly). Something as small as a bottle of shampoo has resulted in sentences ranging from 6 months to one year in prison. I will repeat what I said before. Be very careful at the airport. In particular if you are passing through and are jetlagged. You won't be able to talk your way out of it as King Power always press charges. There are currently nearly 800 foreigners at Samut Prakan Prison.

A friend of mine got arrested, jailed, and then deported for the same "visa service" mess-up... :o

I have also heard about King Power's draconian authority to prosecute people for the smallest infringement; but imagine that since their monopoly at the airport has been broken up, they have lost this authority...?

A friend of mine got arrested, jailed, and then deported for the same "visa service" mess-up... :o

I have also heard about King Power's draconian authority to prosecute people for the smallest infringement; but imagine that since their monopoly at the airport has been broken up, they have lost this authority...?

When i lived in Thaland I used this kind of visa service once just out of plain lazyness really - it was the one out of the old guesthouse in Nana Plaza and my passport went to Penang (or did it?)

Something I would not chance now.

I second that Scott. I can't believe how quickly the OP's thread got inundated by people giving their "opinions" - nothing to do with the OP's post and request for information....

Prisons in Thailand are NOT a nice place to be and people should not always be so quick to judge, based on what is sometimes "half a story" reported in The Nation or the Bangkok Post (or ThaiVisa!)... :D Usually, there is more to the story than meets the eye. Of course I am not saying everybody is innocent, but one should learn and know the whole story before being so quick to judge, IMHO.

There are a number of ways in which things can go "wrong" in the Police, Justice & Court system of Thailand...Things can quickly spiral out of control and lengthy prison sentences can be incurred and after the sentencing, the appeal process can take a long time to come to court.

For example:- see the recent acquittal of British man, Jody Aggett <a href="http://www.usp.com.au/fpss/news-thailand/news-agget103.html" target="_blank">http://www.usp.com.au/fpss/news-thailand/news-agget103.html</a>

Another post re: recent release of British man, Alan John Davies <a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/lancashire/6662065.stm" target="_blank">http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england...ire/6662065.stm</a>

Back on topic!! Kankaroo - I am glad you were successful in finding the information you required.

As a point of interest, if anybody is in this situation again & is trying to locate somebody and the alleged offence occured in Bangkok and the case has already been heard in Court, then it is worth contacting Klong Prem Central Prison. (Another poster above - dutchrdam - gave the contact details). Ask to speak to/ see Khun Patcharin (lady), - you need to provide the name, nationality, alleged crime etc. She should be able to assist or at least point you in the right direction to locate the prisoner.

Often, if people are not being held at the Immigration Detention Centre (IDC) on Suan Phlu, people are held in Bangkok Remand Prison during the initial remand period, both prior to sentencing and often after when sentences are given for up to three years. Sentences of three years or more usually involve a subsequent transfer to Klong Prem Central Prison. (BKK Remand Prison is located on the same Nonthaburi prison complex as Klong Prem Central Prison).

Hope the above is useful if anybody (unfortunately) finds themselves in a situation like the OP.

:o

Hi Andiamo

Great post to help all but just a few things need correcting:

1. Dutchrdam correctly gave the address of the head office of The Department of Corrections, close to Bangkwang Central Prison in Nonthaburi.

2. The ever helpful Khun Patcharin is at Klongprem Central Prison, Foreign Affairs Section. Address Ngam Wongwan Road, Lard Yao, Jatujak, Bangkok 10900.

3. Bangkok Remand Prison is located on the Klongprem Prison complex as are also, the Klongprem Prison Hospital, Womens Correctional Insititution and Bumbud Prison for drug offenders.

Helps to have correct addresses in these areas as English Language is not widely spoken by taxi drivers and others of whom you may have to make enquiry in the future.

Good luck to anyone caught in the Justice System.

<br />
<br /><br />Darren was recently sentenced to 6 years and 8 months. He has been clinically depressed for the past year - started before the incident at the airport. After about 6 months the prison authorities at Samut Prakan finally admitted that he had health problems and he was transferred to the prison hospital at Klong Prem (Lad Yao) in Bangkok. After his sentencing at the Criminal Court in Samut Prakan, he returned to the local prison for a few days. He was then transferred back to the hospital at Klong Prem. I haven't seen Daren for a couple of months but his "friends" at the prison said he was looking much better and actually taking part in conversations. Before he just spent the day curled up in a ball on the floor and wouldn't eat or wash. His cellmates had to force him to do everything. Darren's father told me that they will appeal and will also try to get him out on bail.<br /><br />I am not sure if he is allowed visitors at the prison hospital, nor when he will return to Samut Prakan Prison. Jeff Mitchel at the British Embassy can help you with this. I might try and go and visit Darren next week. You can contact me through my website at www.thaiprisonlife.com if you need more details.<br /><br />BTW, I mentioned on a previous thread that the chances were high that some TV members would end up in prison eventually - possibly through no fault of their own. I was immediately flamed with numerous sarcastic comments. However, one month later I visited my first TV forum member at Samut Prakan Prison and then a short while later a friend of a TV member. An American guy just got sentenced to three years because he used a "visa service" who promised they would take his passport to the border to renew his visa. The visa turned out to be forged. Normally this offense gets you one year. Most foreigners are being arrested at the airport for either passport problems or stealing something at duty free (sometimes absentmindedly). Something as small as a bottle of shampoo has resulted in sentences ranging from 6 months to one year in prison. I will repeat what I said before. Be very careful at the airport. In particular if you are passing through and are jetlagged. You won't be able to talk your way out of it as King Power always press charges. There are currently nearly 800 foreigners at Samut Prakan Prison.<br /><br />OK, let the flaming start....<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Blimey they should be locking up King Power for their over inflated prices!!

is stabbing a bartender in an airport really one of those "it could have happened to you"? because i just dont see myself ever getting in that position.

LOL ! I know I shouldn't laugh at a sad situation, but I had to at that one ! :o

Darren was recently sentenced to 6 years and 8 months. He has been clinically depressed for the past year - started before the incident at the airport. After about 6 months the prison authorities at Samut Prakan finally admitted that he had health problems and he was transferred to the prison hospital at Klong Prem (Lad Yao) in Bangkok. After his sentencing at the Criminal Court in Samut Prakan, he returned to the local prison for a few days. He was then transferred back to the hospital at Klong Prem. I haven't seen Daren for a couple of months but his "friends" at the prison said he was looking much better and actually taking part in conversations. Before he just spent the day curled up in a ball on the floor and wouldn't eat or wash. His cellmates had to force him to do everything. Darren's father told me that they will appeal and will also try to get him out on bail.

I am not sure if he is allowed visitors at the prison hospital, nor when he will return to Samut Prakan Prison. Jeff Mitchel at the British Embassy can help you with this. I might try and go and visit Darren next week. You can contact me through my website at www.thaiprisonlife.com if you need more details.

Thank you for your post, Richard, as well as your highly informative website.

This man easily meets most of the diagnostic criteria for clinical depression. Are you aware if he is being treated specifically for this or not? The danger I see for him is that in your descriptions of his progress he is at that the stage where the potentiality for self-harm is at its statistically highest as he begins to recover from the depths of the deepest depression.

is stabbing a bartender in an airport really one of those "it could have happened to you"? because i just dont see myself ever getting in that position.

I think most of us like to think that we would keep our cool under any circumstances. However, add a few of the following ingredients then who knows for sure: clinical depression, lack of sleep, drinking too much and a bartender that keeps giving you more drinks even though it is clear you had too many and were about to get on a flight. Witnesses in court said the bartender also provoked him into a fight. How many people on this forum have been drunk in Thailand and lost control of a situation? And if your Thai language skills weren't good before, do you really think that you could talk your way out of any trouble you might find yourself in?

This man easily meets most of the diagnostic criteria for clinical depression. Are you aware if he is being treated specifically for this or not? The danger I see for him is that in your descriptions of his progress he is at that the stage where the potentiality for self-harm is at its statistically highest as he begins to recover from the depths of the deepest depression.

I don't know what medicine they gave him in the end. The only admitted him to hospital when the lawyer and embassy pointed out that his head was unusually swollen around his forehead. All reports show that he is much better now, but who knows what the future will bring for him.