Pension Letter From British Embassy

I am shortly due to renew my one year extension for being married to a Thai...

So, my better half called Chiang Mai immigration, just to check, and she has been told that we shall need another letter stating income from the embassy.

When I first applied for the extension, the immigration officer made a point of telling me to keep the letter safe, as " It can be used for many years"

It is no problem to get another letter from the embassy, but is this a new rule? Any one have any solid information as to whether it is true?

I merely ask, in order to warn others.......provided that it is true.....

They kept my 'original' letter in Jomtien office- I did try to give them a copy. New one next time I expect.

Are you a UK passport holder- you say 'embassy' in your post but are you aware the Brtiish consul can do the letter for you in CM.

Same price Bht2448

In Jomtien two TV members applying for extension on 'married to thai' have been told they must go to MFA in BKK to get the stamp from them.

I have not read any other reports from other imm offices regarding this requirement.

Jomtien has its own peculiarities it would seem.!!!!!!!!!

lopburi3 is right again. I recently extended for the sixth time and the Sgt. at the Chiang Mai office of immigration, I think he has been there the longest, more than 10 years, made a point of telling me in English and the Thai with me, in Thai, that he would keep the original of my pension letter, as it was a new requirement. I was allowed to keep the original of last years letter, but not possible this year.

lopburi3 is right again. I recently extended for the sixth time and the Sgt. at the Chiang Mai office of immigration, I think he has been there the longest, more than 10 years, made a point of telling me in English and the Thai with me, in Thai, that he would keep the original of my pension letter, as it was a new requirement. I was allowed to keep the original of last years letter, but not possible this year.

thanks for all the info......shall need to go to CM a day early to get the letter.....more expense......ah! such is life.................

ronw: Do you know on what days and times the British Consulate is open to provide such letters? The U.S. Consulate only does it on Tues and Thursday in the morning.

The consulate is open from 9 until 11 30, Monday to Friday.....according to their website.......they usually ask if the letter can be collected the next day, but if you ask pretty please they will do it whilst you wait......

Edited by ronw

The word on the street is a new letter each time now and in the future. Yes, there does seem to have been a change.

Went to CM yesterday to get the new extension......no problems, but I did ask about the requirement for a new letter from the embassy every year,.....and this was definitely confirmed....another hurdle to leap.....thankfully a small one!

If torrenova is raising a question, when ones pension goes down, you merely show more money in the bank so the combination of both equals 800K a year. Americans are faced with this in a big way as immigration does use the lowest possible conversion rate that appears reasonable when determining the amount of baht needed to qualify.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/ba...p?page=service#
Evidence showing reception of pension accompanied with Thai translation certified by the embassy or consulate of the country paying the pension

Lopburi 3

1. Who has the pension verification letter translated into Thai - I certainly have not.

2. It also says you need a medical certificate - no you dont.

The website is only pertinent if it is updated reguarly - which it is not.

Hence relying on TV members experiences is the only method we have.

And yourself of course!!!! :o

I suggest you apply a few days early with the old letter,

leaving yourself time to get a new letter if necessary.

Then keep us informed in this thread.

As with many immigration matters today, this seems to be an area in flux,

and possibly variable from office to office. :o

Thanks

Astral