Pattaya Now Has Legal Metered Taxis!

Jingthing

038368113 is the 'phone number on the side of taxi #12 which I saw tonight.

At least there's more than 7 now???

I have been given this number as well but when I rang it this week they only speak Thai (which OK I suppose in Thailand but it would be helpful if they spoke a little English) and when I tried to get a taxi to pick me up in Pattaya they said there was none available (I got a Thai friend to ask).

If these new taxis are going to work we really need a reliable number and good service it seems very hit and miss at the moment, I really wonder if they are getting much business at all and if so how?

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I predict. They'll declare the experiment a failure due to lack of demand and scrap them. Same same the bus service of which I've only seen 2 busses in the last 2 hyears and only then 'cos they were diverted past my place when they were digging up the Road along Pratumnak.

Like I predict. They'll declare the experiment a failure due to lack of demand and scrap them. Same same the bus service of which I've only seen 2 busses in the last 2 hyears and only then 'cos they were diverted past my place when they were digging up the Road along Pratumnak.

Probably right. Bunch of corrupt gangsters.

Spotted a yellow cab #19 yesterday so maybe the visibility will be increased with more on the roads.

Spotted 5 while riding down 2nd road and Beach Road yesterday.

Jingthing, have you actually taken a ride in one yet?

Four of us took a Pattaya Taxi(Yellow) yesterday evening from hotel Mercure to middle of Third Road,between Central Pattaya Rd. and North Pattaya Rd.,restaurant (forgot the name)on the corner(left) of the street which join the 2d.road(Big C),taxi has a meter , says he only used it for "big"distances,the price was 150 Thb,we asked before the price to a BathTaxi (also 150 Thb)so we took the cab,at least we had airco,the driver rent the taxi for 1.000 Thb a day to the "company",we told him to pick us up 2 hours later and there he was,gave us his telephone number in case of.

Edited by luckyluke

Four of us took a Pattaya Taxi(Yellow) yesterday evening from hotel Mercure to middle of Third Road,between Central Pattaya Rd. and North Pattaya Rd.,restaurant (forgot the name)on the corner(left) of the street which join the 2d.road(Big C),taxi has a meter , says he only used it for "big"distances,the price was 150 Thb,we asked before the price to a BathTaxi (also 150 Thb)so we took the cab,at least we had airco,the driver rent the taxi for 1.000 Thb a day to the "company",we told him to pick us up 2 hours later and there he was,gave us his telephone number in case of.

I would insist on using the meter for short or long distances as a matter of principle. MY girlfriends uncle is a taxi driver in BKK and he tells me all the taxi drivers would prefer short 35 baht or 40 baht rides all day as the number of these they can do in a given time will give them more income than longer rides. His example was he can easily to a hundred 35 baht rides in BKK in a day and make 3500 baht where if he had a fare to Pattaya he may get 1500 if he's lucky and the falang doesn't haggle and then 500 to come back which would give him 2000 but a lot more expense gas wise and he would be more tired.

Paying 150 baht to go a short distance is just going to encourage more rip offs.

Four of us took a Pattaya Taxi(Yellow) yesterday evening from hotel Mercure to middle of Third Road,between Central Pattaya Rd. and North Pattaya Rd.,restaurant (forgot the name)on the corner(left) of the street which join the 2d.road(Big C),taxi has a meter , says he only used it for "big"distances,the price was 150 Thb,we asked before the price to a BathTaxi (also 150 Thb)

Haha, what a rip-off. The only advantage the taxis would offer then is the aircon.

TiT, This is Thailand. :o

Paying 150 baht to go a short distance is just going to encourage more rip offs.

I agree, it a taxi won't use his meter, don't use him.

I think I saw one the other day driving by. Sounds like they are not using the meters. So predictable and they might as well pack it in because we don't need that kind of service. We already have baht bus charter taxis. If they want a viable taxi service TURN ON THE <deleted> METERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Jingthing

I agree, it a taxi won't use his meter, don't use him.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We should have taken the BathBus than at 150 Thb ?

Difficult to find the right solution,between 2 bad things,better to take the less bad,well my opinion anyway.

Edited by luckyluke

We should take the BathBus than at 150 Thb ?

They (the baht bus, taxi mafia SAME SAME) make the money, either way, on a charter. And some people still have their head in the sand and don't call this what it is: MAFIA

MAFIA

MAFIA

MAFIA

MAFIA

MAFIA

Edited by Jingthing

Sic transit gloria taxi Pattaya...

Did anyone REALLY think this would work like in BKK? (Where it works if the driver wants it to...)

Jing-jing?

No, of course not.

If you had been following this, you would know that I didn't even expect to see any Pattaya taxis at all on the streets for at least 10 years. Most people thought NEVER. This will take time. We have to speak up. We have to complain everytime they pull this scam, which sounds like it is every time now. If you are implying that Bangkok taxis do not usually use the meters, you are wrong, they usually do. And they usually didn't some years ago. So it took many years for Bangkok to progress where they are now, and it will take many years for Pattaya to get there as well. This current beginning is a SHAM!

Considering this isn't a real taxi service the mafia has served us up with, what really might be needed is a REAL COMPETING taxi service. Different owner. You think the mafia will allow this? If you say no, do you still hold to the ridiculous notion that we are not dealing with a full blown transport MAFIA here?

Edited by Jingthing

I have read most of the thread, but got a bit tired, that might explain my somewhat flippant reply.

I do appreciate all the heavy lifting you are doing Jingthing, but on the other hand I have no illusions regarding a foreigner force to influence local business or immigration practices. Change will come when the locals are ready for it, not when we, the guests want it. We are inconsequential in Thailand, and the sooner we realise that, the better. (Going back to immigration, a very senior immigration officer was interviewed, I think it was in Bangkok Post, and he commented on the level of service expected. He said that we should keep in mind that the immigration police is "an enforcement agency, not a service provider". Food for thought...

As for BKK taxis, yes they do use the meter most of the time, that is not the issue. It is that they often just don't want to take you at all, if you want to go outside of their chosen area of operations. Then it is mai dai, mai ao or shift change, regardless of time of day. But this specific topic is old and boring.

Edited by MeaMaximaCulpa

I agree with you about immigration.

I disagree with you about taxis in Pattaya. I think we can make a difference. We just have to speak with a UNIFIED ECONOMIC FORCE and don't let up. Complain EVERYTIME to every driver, even if you are desperate enough to need to use the service without a meter.

BTW, if you are bored, nobody cares. Just ignoring and letting a topic die is the way to say that.

Edited by Jingthing

I have tried my best to "educate" the taxi drivers in BKK because they have violated me (where is Weho when we need him?), but they stubbornly refuse my kind and well meant instructions.

In PTA I drive myself, or my g/f does, and we do not like the baht bus, and I have no experience with the "metered" taxies so far. To be honest, I am out every day, but have so far not seen a single one (note to self; go and get your eyes checked).

I admire your dedication and determination Jingthing, but most of us mere mortals can not muster up the power and energy to fight every windmill coming our way in this fair city of PTA.

And now it is very close to bedtime.

I will keep beyatching at this as long as I live here. I have a dream! A journey of a thousand meters begins with a single burp ...

There's just an overwhelming number of tourists in Pattaya compared to expats. The tourists just don't care and the taxi drivers know it.

As for BKK taxis, yes they do use the meter most of the time, that is not the issue. It is that they often just don't want to take you at all, if you want to go outside of their chosen area of operations. Then it is mai dai, mai ao or shift change, regardless of time of day. But this specific topic is old and boring.

Have you ever tried to get a BKK taxi to use their meter in a taxi rank at MBK?

This is a non-issue. In the vast majority of cases you can get a Bangkok taxi meter to turn on the meter (almost always without even asking). The most common problem is not willing to go where you want, in that case, you try another one. The nattering nabobs of negativity said we would NEVER see taxis on the streets of Pattaya. Now the same gloomy Gusses say we will NEVER see them use meters. They were WRONG on the first count; who knows how this will turn out over the long term, but don't assume you know for sure. I know I don't.

Edited by Jingthing

This is a non-issue. In the vast majority of cases you can get a Bangkok taxi meter to turn on the meter (almost always without even asking). The most common problem is not willing to go where you want, in that case, you try another one. The nattering nabobs of negativity said we would NEVER see taxis on the streets of Pattaya. Now the same gloomy Gusses say we will NEVER see them use meters. They were WRONG on the first count; who knows how this will turn out over the long term, but don't assume you know for sure. I know I don't.

I'd assume it's going to go from bad to worse. If they can't use their meters in the first month, what hope is there down the line.

It's definitely still a non-issue because there are so few of these new taxis around that catching one would be too difficult to be worth even trying.

It took many, many years for Bangkok to get to the point where it is now, with most taxis turning on the meter, no problem. Check back in 10 years. Imagine what a different city Pattaya will be by then.

As you mentioned before, there's a critical number of taxis that Pattaya needs in order to become a worthwhile service. As long as there's only 20 or so here, they'll be nothing more than bright coloured, scamming, aircon baht buses disguised as taxis.

True, Tropo.

If it turns out that the baht bus mafia, as it now appears, took this taxi business just so they could ruin it, how many years can they get away with that? 10, 20, 30? Someday, something has to give. For example, a COMPETING taxi company that will provide REAL taxi service.

True, Tropo.

If it turns out that the baht bus mafia, as it now appears, took this taxi business just so they could ruin it, how many years can they get away with that? 10, 20, 30? Someday, something has to give. For example, a COMPETING taxi company that will provide REAL taxi service.

I don't believe that a competing taxi service will make any difference. I think a taxi service that is strictly controlled by the local government would be the only way.

There was a taxi monopoly where I used to live in Australia, and the service was first class...no ripoffs, cars always in top condition and service was always prompt and efficient.

The local government here fixing this? That'll be the day!

There's no other way. Isn't government control the reason behind why Bangkok taxis now use their meters most of the time? Without laws in place to enforce meter use, it's never going to happen.

If the taxis here are free to do as they please, they will.