Toyota Hilux Is Highly Dangerous According To The Swedish Motoring Magazine "teknikens Värld"

Kaysfeld

In a group test of pickup trucks the Toyota Hilux failed to safely do the evasive manoeuvre the Swedish Motoring magazine "Teknikens Värld" do on all cars during testing.

This was the same Motoring magazine that forced Mercedes to change the design of the A type 10 years ago, because it failed the same test.

See the video from the test on this page:

http://www.teknikensvarld.se/tvtv/071031-toyota-hilux/

Is seems like it is safer to just go straight on with this car in an emergency. Evasive manoeuvre can maybe be even more dangerous, unless you have extreme driving skills.

It is a shame that many Thais care more about the looks of their car, than about safety.

They simply prefer large alloys and crome to ESP and other safety systems.

In Thailand only the rich drive safe cars.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a group test of pickup trucks the Toyota Hilux failed to safely do the evasive manoeuvre the Swedish Motoring magazine "Teknikens Värld" do on all cars during testing.

This was the same Motoring magazine that forced Mercedes to change the design of the A type 10 years ago, because it failed the same test.

See the video from the test on this page:

http://www.teknikensvarld.se/tvtv/071031-toyota-hilux/

Is seems like it is safer to just go straight on with this car in an emergency. Evasive manoeuvre can maybe be even more dangerous, unless you have extreme driving skills.

It is a shame that many Thais care more about the looks of their car, than about safety.

Natural Selection at work. Absolutely no consideration for other drivers and all because they say they need it once a year at Songran and in case they move house :o The real reason is an inferiority complex and/or lack of money.

To be honest, I very much doubt that you would be able to pull off that kind of swerve in the street without killing some people on the pavement or knocking off a few people on motorbikes. Also I would guess half of the 4x4 vehicles on the market would do that as well.

Everything can be explained away, derided and/or denied. And that, precisely, shall be Toyota's reply as shown by their attitude towards the Vigo brake problems are/were.

Howsoever this test result is explained and soothed over, Toyota did not do well in a comparative test where other cars did. Those tested were: Ford Ranger, Isuzu D-Max, Mazda BT-50, Mitsubishi L200, Nissan Navara and Toyota Hilux.

The only one that got the "mortally dangerous" (livsfarlig) marking in driving test was Toyota Hilux. It appears the sale of Toyota Hilux might be stopped in Sweden until an anti-slide device is installed in new Hiluxes and retrofitted in old ones.

Kudos on Swedes on being safety-conscious.

To be honest, I very much doubt that you would be able to pull off that kind of swerve in the street without killing some people on the pavement or knocking off a few people on motorbikes. Also I would guess half of the 4x4 vehicles on the market would do that as well.

It is true that most pickups have extreme poor driving capabilities. But this does make the situation any better, only worse.

There are so many cars on the streets of Thailand that is both dangerous for the driver and passengers, as well as everyone that happen to come in their way.

But as you can see on the video, the Mitsubishi pickup managed the test safely for both the ones in the car and the ones that would happen to be close to it.

It is true that you can't make this evasive manoeuvre on a crowded street in the middle of a city.

But does this mean that you shouldn't make safe cars?

I was in a similar situation in Thailand 8 years ago when a motorcycle came out from a small side road onto the main highway with great speed. I was driving 80 km/h and there were not enough road to break.

Luckily in that split situation I could see that that there was no cars oncoming cars, so I turned sharply to the right and straight again in the opposite side of the road. The car (Nissan Queen Cab) didn't turn on me and behaved quite good for such a cheap car. This surely saved the Thai drivers life.

He continued into the left side of my car as he was still trying to cross the main road with my horn and tires shouting.

But thanks to my evasive manoeuvre he walked away probably very shaken but not stubbed. He didn’t have a scratch, which couldn’t be said for my car.

You (the clip) didn't mention which Toyota Hilux. Was it a current model? If so, what model? Looking at pics means nothing. Is it an intrinsic engineering problem? How does the COG (centre of gravity) compare between both vehicles in the clip? The whole thing was in Swedish.

What about older vehicles? What about the old Toyota Landcruisers that I love? I guarantee that these older vehicles would fail under such tests.

A ridiculous post especially since there has not been any factual data to back this up (ie driver ability, engineering etc). BTW, how does one perfectly equate driver ability since most people on earth need instructions upon how to breath? And what about the number of people that drive automatics? Does that come into the equation? Were the vehicles in the clip "automatic" ? It sounds a bit like the guy who loves to quote Ferrari & "racing techniques" in an otherwise "average driver" forum.

Totally useless post. Next time you get an idea about driving, make sure that you spend your energy upon learning how to drive...particularly in a "manual" vehicle.

Edited by elkangorito

You (the clip) didn't mention which Toyota Hilux. Was it a current model? If so, what model? Looking at pics means nothing. Is it an intrinsic engineering problem? How does the COG (centre of gravity) compare between both vehicles in the clip? The whole thing was in Swedish.

What about older vehicles? What about the old Toyota Landcruisers that I love? I guarantee that these older vehicles would fail under such tests.

A ridiculous post especially since there has not been any factual data to back this up (ie driver ability, engineering etc). BTW, how does one perfectly equate driver ability since most people on earth need instructions upon how to breath? And what about the number of people that drive automatics? Does that come into the equation? Were the vehicles in the clip "automatic" ? It sounds a bit like the guy who loves to quote Ferrari & "racing techniques" in an otherwise "average driver" forum.

Totally useless post. Next time you get an idea about driving, make sure that you spend your energy upon learning how to drive...particularly in a "manual" vehicle.

I didn't mention it because it doesn't mention other that Toyota Hilux. The Vigo name isn’t used in Sweden. But if you take a look at the video you can see for yourself which model. The sound and text may be in Swedish, but the pictures speak for themself.

This Magazine came out yesterday, so I don't think they will test and old Toyota against other new Van's. If anything the models sold in Europe should drive better, because everybody known that most European put safety very high.

I am sure that an old Toyota Landcruisers will also be dangerous in any high speed turn.

This truck isn't made for the road. In its right element, off-road, there are not many that can match it.

But many don't buy pickup because the need to carry large cargo off-road.

They buy them because they look cool and are cheap.

Monster cars, with poor driving characteristics in the hands of drivers with no or very poor driving training sound like a dangerous cocktail.

Are you now a racing fanatic because you want cars to be safe?

For me people can buy these cars and drive themselves to death if they wish so, it is their decision.

The problem is that they all to often take many innocent people with them in death.

Turn of brain, engage keyboard. Commence wrangling, explaining, belittling and denial.

Teknikens Värld is a highly professional, greatly respected magazine read all over Scandinavia. Neither their professionalism nor their integrity was ever questioned by Mercedes Benz in 1997 in precisely identical situation.

Mercedes Benz stopped shipping immediately the A-Class, resigned and retrofitted at very, very great cost before commencing the shipments.

Would MB have done this if they were not sure of the pedigree of the tests?

Edited by Far Angst

Could simply be down to the tyres on the vehicle. Perhaps the Toyota's are a little stickier resulting in more grab and less slide. A change of tyre spec may solve the problem.

No doubt SUVs in general have a higher incidence of rollover which is verified by statistics. SUVs overall are inherently more dangerous vehicles than regular cars, again backed by statistics. However, in some crashes, according to statistics, the heavier the vehicle the safer it is, but it depends on the crash scenario as this is not true in every situation.

Certainly, in a SUV to SUV crash the occupants will usually suffer more trauma than the same scenario involving regular vehicles due to the better impact absorbing ability of regular vehicles compared to SUVs.

The bottom line is that drivers should always drive within their vehicle's capabilities, meaning the driver should be aware of their vehicle's characteristics, and their own driving ability, regardless of the type of vehicle being driven.

I drive a Vigo and this video doesn't worry me since the chances that I will have to make such a manoeuvre are quite low.

I do agree though that for some drivers an SUV gives a false sense of safety. I also drive a Honda Jazz and while I feel safer driving the Vigo the reality is that I'm probably safer in the Jazz.

Edited by sibeymai

Could simply be down to the tyres on the vehicle. Perhaps the Toyota's are a little stickier resulting in more grab and less slide. A change of tyre spec may solve the problem.

No doubt SUVs in general have a higher incidence of rollover which is verified by statistics. SUVs overall are inherently more dangerous vehicles than regular cars, again backed by statistics. However, in some crashes, according to statistics, the heavier the vehicle the safer it is, but it depends on the crash scenario as this is not true in every situation.

Certainly, in a SUV to SUV crash the occupants will usually suffer more trauma than the same scenario involving regular vehicles due to the better impact absorbing ability of regular vehicles compared to SUVs.

The bottom line is that drivers should always drive within their vehicle's capabilities, meaning the driver should be aware of their vehicle's characteristics, and their own driving ability, regardless of the type of vehicle being driven.

I drive a Vigo and this video doesn't worry me since the chances that I will have to make such a manoeuvre are quite low.

I do agree though that for some drivers an SUV gives a false sense of safety. I also drive a Honda Jazz and while I feel safer driving the Vigo the reality is that I'm probably safer in the Jazz.

I agree with you at all your points.

You are probably safer in your Jazz than your Vigo, unless you are hit by a large SUV or truck out of control.

Changing the tires from standard to good ones might be enough, so an experienced driver would have made this manoeuvre. The tires are definitely the best investment in safety that you can do on any car.

If I had been on the standard tires on my wife’s Nissan Queeen Cab that day, I would probably not have made it. I also send my warmest thanks to the computer company, which as a marketing stunt, gave me a free driving course on a racing track, where we spent the day making these kinds of evasive manoeuvres and braking on both dry and very slippery roads. If my wife had been driving she would just have pressed the brakes, and the motorcycle driver would probably have been dead, or seriously hurt.

But for Mercedes Benz in 1997, changing the tires wasn’t enough to fix the problem; they also added an ESP system as standard among other things.

At that time ESP was still expensive. Today it doesn’t cost must to produce, compared to the benefits it give to a tall car. No SUV is safe without it.

Yes Teknikens Värld is a highly respected magazine to those who don't know it.

I completely disagree with the poster above who was bashing the OP for posting the information. It doesn't matter who the driver was, the truck failed the test plain and simple -- a test conducted by a highly reagarded magazine. I'd venture to say that the driver in the test is more skilled than your average farmer/whoever that drives the Vigo here.... if he fails, it is most likely that a drunk farmer with 10 people in the back is gonna fail as well.

As for the "maybe it was the tyres issue" -- yeah maybe in a different country, but not here... 90% of Vigos on the road I'd say have old/2nd hand/cheap/you name it tyres on them. People who buy Vigos on Payment schemes ( A LOT) probably don't put Michelin PS2 shoes on their trucks.... it's a truck mainly for the common thai, and trust me the common thai doesn't put much thought into the reasoning behind why tyres are so important (selling USED tyres for street use -- as in a used tyre store -- is illegal in Sweden isn't it? Go to your local gas station and have a look at what's for sale. A set for 800 baht? That's asking for trouble.)

Drive what you want, believe what you will, but Merc fixed the A class because of Teknikens Värld's test. That should say a lot.

It most likely wouldn’t happen with different tyres, no not more expensive tyres, DIFFERENT tyres. The idea would be to stop the tyres gripping so well, therefore a harder compound rubber or a narrower set of tyres. Some of the tyre responses really enlighten me in the fact that a lot of people dont have a clue what they are talking about. For example, if you put a set of grippy soft tyres on the triton it might well do the same thing. It could be simply a case of Toyota changing the factory and recommended tyres to something else.

The whole thing was in Swedish.

I have tried to translate the Swedish text, but as I’m not Swedish and not native English speaking, please bear over with any mistakes I might have made. What is said on the video pretty much have the same meaning as what is said here. Here it goes:

Toyota Hilux is mortally dangerous![/b]

In 1997 the Mercedes A-class rolled over in an Elk test made by Teknikens Värld. Now, ten years later, is it the Toyota Hilux ”turn” to fail totally in this test!

Pickup’s have gone from being the workman’s car to be sold and marketed as family cars. Teknikens Värld has tested six pickup’s where their car like abilities i pointed out and carried in front of the sales arguments.

The Magazine makes the so called Elk test on all cars that are tested, and it is an evasive manoeuvre test that is very revealing to how a cars body is constructed. In modern cars, there is almost always active stability control (ESP), but only one of the tested pickup’s had such a system.

Toyotas pride – Hilux – failed miserably in the Elk test. Tanks to great skills and experience we managed to exactly avoid a rollover. The result is unambiguous. Under an evasive manoeuvre in normal traffic, the Toyota Hilux will roll over.

Teknikens Världs editor-in-chief Daniel Frodin now demands that Toyota must take its responsibility and as soon as possible equip the Hilux with stability control system. And naturally must the customers whom have already bought a Hilux get this retrofitted. If this isn’t done, it shows that the Japanese company is incredibly nonchalant with its customer’s life. And Teknikens Värld advice definitely against buying a Toyota Hilux before it has become safe.

Read more about the mortally dangerous Toyota Hilux and the other pickups in our test in Teknikens Värld number 23/2007. In the shops November 1. and if you prescribe already on October 31.

It most likely wouldn’t happen with different tyres, no not more expensive tyres, DIFFERENT tyres. The idea would be to stop the tyres gripping so well, therefore a harder compound rubber or a narrower set of tyres. Some of the tyre responses really enlighten me in the fact that a lot of people dont have a clue what they are talking about. For example, if you put a set of grippy soft tyres on the triton it might well do the same thing. It could be simply a case of Toyota changing the factory and recommended tyres to something else.

But it is still Toyotas problem.

If it is as simple as you believe it is, and I don't believe so, Toyota can't deliver the car with mortally dangerous tires.

I believe that most drivers in Thailand would not have a chance with even the most expensive tires money can buy.

Most simply don't have the driving experience, speed and skills necessary to save this situation without an ESP system helping them.

You’re correct; it most likely isn’t just the tyres. What I was saying is if the tyres were less grippy i.e harder rubber (not more expensive) then it would be less likely to tip up. You can make any car tip up and roll if you but wide enough grippy tyres on. Toyota should investigate the problem but to be honest its a pickup and in Europe it still isn’t common to see families driving round in a hilux. The translation sounds a bit scare mongering although it could be the translation you used.

You’re correct; it most likely isn’t just the tyres. What I was saying is if the tyres were less grippy i.e harder rubber (not more expensive) then it would be less likely to tip up. You can make any car tip up and roll if you but wide enough grippy tyres on. Toyota should investigate the problem but to be honest its a pickup and in Europe it still isn’t common to see families driving round in a hilux. The translation sounds a bit scare mongering although it could be the translation you used.

It is true that not many families use these cars in Europe, but in Thailand they do to a large degree, why I think this information is extra usefull in this forum.

All cars in such test are either supplied by the official imported or by one of their dealers. Why should they put on wrong tires for a test performed by Swedens most recognized Motoring Magazine.

I think the translation is quite right and sound is as in the Swedish test.

Is there any Swedish out there that can confirm me in this?

In modern cars, there is almost always active stability control (ESP), but only one of the tested pickup’s had such a system.

Which one? How did the Isuzu?

Bird

No it was the Mitshubishi, as can also been seen on the video.

I have to come back to you about Isuzu, as I have only read the Toyota part.

But as I understand from what I have read so far, none of the others performed so poorly as the Toyota.

Totally agree

I am mechanical engineer.I stdied in university how to design cars even if I never did afterwards,I was racing driver and I loved fast cars.Even had a Ferrari in Europ.

Now I still drive fast (say 120km/h on 4 lanes if not too much traffic) but not crazily

2 years ago I moved from Naklua to NaJomtien.This mean I have to use Sukhumvit road to go anywhere and this road has a nickname in french "succombe vite" (die quick)...

So I sold my one year old Toyota Vios (small not allowed to be exported to europ,1 airbag only) to a second hand 2003 Toyota Camry.This one has 4 airbags, ESP.bigger absorption zones......

We have to adapt and looking to the crazy drivers I see everyday I have to take care in priority to MY health and the one of my passengers.

Next year GF will have her first car.She wishes a pick up.It is a nono.Priorities:airbags,ABS and ESP if possible PLUS a driving school first

Yes, totally useless post. I mean, who cares about the safety of a car in Sweden? We are in Thailand her and love our Pickup trucks, no matter what these wise guys in Sweden tell us.

Yes, totally useless post. I mean, who cares about the safety of a car in Sweden? We are in Thailand her and love our Pickup trucks, no matter what these wise guys in Sweden tell us.

Yes, totally useless post. In Thailand all drivers are immortal so who needs safe cars. Or at least the drive like they are. :o

How did the Isuzu?

Here is the summary from the group test in translated form:

Ford Ranger

A Mazda BT- 50 with Ford logo. More expensive parts than the Mazda and even some more expensive to buy. Nobody is talking about buying the Ford in stead if the Mazda.

Isuzu D-Max

Loud during travel and the detail quality isn’t the best. Apart from this a good comeback for the Isuzu on the Swedish market. Takes more load and highly useful both for work and free time. Good price.

Mazda BT-50

Low mileage costs speaks for the Mazda. Also good cargo capabilities. Besides this the Japanese if beaten by its countrymen in most areas, with making a fool of itself. A choice for you who think almost only with your wallet.

Mitsubishi L200

Our winner, because its only poor in the cargo capacity. 760 kilo is not much more than a normal van. L200 behaves confidently and comfortable. Important is also that it has a good stability control system.

Nissan Navara

The car everybody was most comfortable in. – if you sit in the front. The back seat is a joke, as is its cargo capacity. Also very expensive to buy. Most like a real car inside, where r Nissan have many things right. But is is still far from best.

Toyota Hilux

Clearly the most Cargo truck feeling in this group. In the from you sit poorly. Doesn’t take much cargo. But worst is that the safety is missing in an evasive manoeuvre. Don’t buy this car before Toyota have equipped it with utrustat den med a stability control system.

Original Swedish text can be found at:

http://www.teknikensvarld.se/documents/for...-l200/index.xml

Ok, good discussion, but I take issue with the last line of the Original Post:

CAUGH!!!!! Indeed: In Thailand only the rich drive fancy imported cars like BMW's, Mercedeses, Audi, Volvo (as one might expect).

BUT: They then still have their 3 and 5 year old kids playing around on the back seat, not even in seatbelts, never mind a child safety seat which costs a fraction of even just the alloys on their fancy imported car...

The rich are more safety conscious than Uncle Daeng & Auntie Dao the gas-delivery couple with both their kids in the side-cart of their motorcycle?? Come ON!! Look around.

[/rant]

Thank you. :o

Edited by TheEmperorOfTheNorth

Yes kaysfeld, your translations are correct. My swedish is not-so-great but my girlfriend is a pure Swede and agreed with your translation. She also pointed out that Swedes would rarely use such harsh words (another member referred to it as "scare mongering") if it were not true and serious. Swedes generally do not have an attitude that would cultivate "scare mongering."

"Must be pretty bad," she said to me, "to use harsh words like those."

And your translation of the basic rundown above was correct as well. Although a Thai would surely disagree. These pickups have been tested round the world with similar result (aka what Thais think are the "Best" never ranks at the top (Isuzu and Toyota)). Triton won car of the year for a reason. It has been agreed upon among the general motoring journalist group.

That said, my neighbor asked me why I bought my Triton and not an Isuzu (which he said was the best truck in thailand). I told him because it is a highly lauded vehicle and I rather like it for a pickup. I asked him why Isuzu was the "best." He just gave me a blank stare, then went on to say, "oh hor, triton mai dee, kin namun" which translates to "jeez, the triton is bad, eats fuel." Reply in my head was, "so what?"

Those guys at Teknikens Värld know what they are doing. And the moose/elk test is part of a number of tests in sweden (you have to do the test to get your driver's license). It is a totally valid and important test -- in Sweden and perhaps even moreso in Thailand (call it the "noodle-cart/idiot motorcycle/ random dog test if you will).

Re: the tyre issue discussed above. It's ultimately irrelevant in the case of the test. These vehicles are equipped from the factory and tested as such. A fail is a fail, plain and simple. We're not talking about testing modified cars (I'm sure you can go out and change the Hilux suspension, etc. etc.) but about factory-spec cars, which make up the largest proportion of cars on the road. The test clearly demonstrates the poor evasive-situation road-handling charateristics of the truck in question. Were it not for the skill of the test driver applying opposite-steering at the right moment, we would surely have seen a roll-over.

Will toyota do anything about it? Certainly not here in Thailand where the masses have been brainwashed already, no need to retro-fit anything for a truck that is perceived to be the end-all-be-all of motoring for the average Thai. I suspect that even if there was a stability-control option, most Thais would turn it off anyway so they could burn out and do donuts..... maybe a little extreme, but I think you get my point. Thai roads are dangerous enough, to have the vehicle you're driving be inherently flawed in emergency manoeuvres is rather unsettling considering the amount of these on the road and the collateral damage that would occur in highly populated areas like bangkok.

Ok, good discussion, but I take issue with the last line of the Original Post:

CAUGH!!!!! Indeed: In Thailand only the rich drive fancy imported cars like BMW's, Mercedeses, Audi, Volvo (as one might expect).

BUT: They then still have their 3 and 5 year old kids playing around on the back seat, not even in seatbelts, never mind a child safety seat which costs a fraction of even just the alloys on their fancy imported car...

The rich are more safety conscious than Uncle Daeng & Auntie Dao the gas-delivery couple with both their kids in the side-cart of their motorcycle?? Come ON!! Look around.

[/rant]

Thank you. :o

All the cars you are mentioning above is very safe cars, so basically there is noting wrong with my statement :"In Thailand only the rich drive safe cars."

But you are right that many couldn't care less about safety, when they let their children run around in the car.

In just a 40-50 km/hour accident the child would fly like a bullet trough the cabin killing the front passenger/driver if hit. Such a child will not stand a chance of surviving.

Driving a car with 6 front airbags is also extremely dangerous is you don't wear the seatbelt.

In an accident the airbag could probably kill you instead of saving you, if you don't have the seatbelt on because your face will come to close to the front air back when it explodes.

So I agree with you that just driving a safe car don't make you safe, if you walk around with your head under your arm.