First Post Ever

First of all let me say I have been a passive observer on Thaivisa for many years and have enjoyed reading many post, so thanks to all for many hours of enjoyment.

My questions involve the buying of land, and how it can be bequeathed to our children.

I should first explain I have a Thai wife whom I have been married to for 20 years, we married in the UK where both our children where born, we now live in Australia, but as the children are getting up in age, my wife and I where thinking of retiring in the not to distant future to live in Thailand.

First question how can a Usufruct or a 30 year lease be guaranteed between a married couple when you take into account Section 1469 of the Thailand Civil and Commercial Code?

For myself I don’t care that the land is in the wife’s name as I said previously we have been married a number of years and in the event of a divorce she would get a whole lot more, than a house and land in Thailand. But in the event of my wife’s death I would wish to remain in the house without the relative having any say in the matter.

This brings me to my second question how to secure the house and land so that the children can benefit from it and not the relatives in the event of both of us dying?

Just one more question can my children take out Thai nationality without giving up their other nationalities?

Some countries do not allow dual or multiple nationality; Thailand, the UK and Australia do. Therefore, the first thing you want to do is get your children a Thai passport. Call the Thai Embassy in Australia to ask what documentation they need.

Next step, when your wife buys the land, get a usufruct for life, your life, that is.

Third step, get your wife to write a will leaving her land to her children.

That’s how I see it.

--

Maestro