Beware The Prices At The Ginger Cafe

Ulysses G.

I have a business and so I try not too be too critical of other people's places, but, sometimes I can't keep my mouth closed.

I tried the Ginger Cafe yesterday, and although it looks nice and is located in the middle of a clothing shop, I just want to warn other people that it mostly serves the exact same Thai food as you can find everywhere else in Chiang Mai (and I don't mean cheap noodle shops ) , but - apparently - because it is next door to The House, the prices are much higher. They also have a few farang dishes and some deserts that are nothing special (hamburgers, fish and chips ), but cost a pretty penny. There is also a 10% service charge on top of that.

I don't mind paying more for special or unusually tasty food, but I do mind paying a LOT more for something really common, just because it is close to another expensive restaurant. Can you spell t-o-u-r-i-s-t t-r-a-p?

Price structures are not always based on value/quality of product alone. By setting prices high, businesses actively target a certain demographic. By keeping prices low, another demographic is targetted. Simple business strategy really, as you doubtless know UG.

Price structures are not always based on value/quality of product alone. By setting prices high, businesses actively target a certain demographic. By keeping prices low, another demographic is targetted. Simple business strategy really, as you doubtless know UG.

I understand that, but what offended me, was no attempt to give something extra to justify the much higher prices. The menu looked exactly like every other place in town and the food tasted good, but no better than most other decent Thai restaurants. Most over-priced places at least pretend to provide innovative cuisine or to use higher quality ingredients or something to warrant the price. :o

I see what you're driving at, but isn't Ginger a swanky kind of gallery/fashion setup? Which would make comparing food prices to those street cafes similar to comparing a 60-baht Heineken at Happy Somchai's chicken shack to a 200-baht Heineken at Flashy Tukata's Hi-So wine bar?

Oh, I don't know. Sorry UG. I'm being argumentative. Next thing you know I'll be calling you kee neow!

I see what you're driving at, but isn't Ginger a swanky kind of gallery/fashion setup? Which would make comparing food prices to those street cafes similar to comparing a 60-baht Heineken at Happy Somchai's chicken shack to a 200-baht Heineken at Flashy Tukata's Hi-So wine bar?

Oh, I don't know. Sorry UG. I'm being argumentative. Next thing you know I'll be calling you kee neow!

Yes it is a nice clothing shop, but I am comparing it to places like JJs or the Triple N Restaurant which are clean and neat and air-con and quite nicely decorated (with much more comfortable seating) and about half the price BEFORE the 10% mandatory service charge. I am not comparing it to cheap noodle stall type places. :o

remind me of a show .. call " you ask for it "

when i was a kids that is one attactive show .

well . the fact ..

you are not paying for the food . you are paying for the deco .. and lighting and extra waitress and look good factor .

if you want real food eat on the street there taste much much better then most fancy thai dinning resturant .

anyway . if you in for a cheap thai food run i would be free :o

I've only eaten at Ginger Cafe once, about six months ago, and had an excellent meal that I felt was fairly priced. Fresh ingredients, properly seasoned and properly served. Certainly the quality of the food, to my tastes, was heads above JJ's (and I like JJ's a lot for a quick bite). Ambiance-wise, there's no comparison. I found the surroundings and comfort at Ginger quite a few notches above JJ's.

Based on my earlier experience, I wouldn't hesitate to visit Ginger again. However I may have hit Ginger during its honeymoon phase, ie, it's possible there has been a change of chef there and my experience is no longer typical (if it ever was, I may have just been lucky). I do remember thinking the cuisine at Ginger was more to my tastes than that served in the House itself.

I just ate at JJ's a couple days ago and noticed the prices are not really that low anymore -- probably about double what they used to be when they first opened the Tha Phae branch. I liked it a lot but didn't find it particularly good value. One thing no one in Chiang Mai seems to be able to top is JJ's muesli (which is actually granola, but seems like every Thai resto calls it muesli). It's too bad Rim Ping doesn't seem to sell it anymore.

Prices at JJ's have not been that low anymore for at least 10 years.

Pretty much since they lost the plot, moved out of the Montri (or were forced out, whatever) and scattered shops all over the place.

May I recommend Mayflower on Loi Kroh? Nice French guy, menu gets bigger and bigger, very reasonably priced, and they deliver.... across the road. :o

Based on my earlier experience, I wouldn't hesitate to visit Ginger again. However I may have hit Ginger during its honeymoon phase, ie, it's possible there has been a change of chef there and my experience is no longer typical (if it ever was, I may have just been lucky).

I think that the whole place has changed a lot recently. I looked at the Ginger Cafe just a month or so ago when they were doing little advertising and I don't remember seeing this large Thai menu that they have now. I remember it as being a small one with a few more foreign dishes, but there was no place to sit because there are only a few tables, so I didn't try the food until a few days ago. I ate a Thai dish that I quite like, but remember that I am not a big fan of Thai cuisine.

As far as ambiance goes, it is a cute little dress shop with a few tasteful tables and chairs scattered between the clothing. Personally, I am just as happy in eating in JJs for half the price. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Go to Kafe nearby. It's nice, it's cheap and has excellent Thai and Northern-Thai food, and pretty good basic Western food. Cheap beer, too.

The beer's cheap and cracking set-up, but never got one with the food. Perhaps they've got new hands in the kitchen?

Go to Kafe nearby. It's nice, it's cheap and has excellent Thai and Northern-Thai food, and pretty good basic Western food. Cheap beer, too.

The beer's cheap and cracking set-up, but never got one with the food. Perhaps they've got new hands in the kitchen?

I've been to the Kafe for breakfast a couple of times - good value in my opinion

CB

I was there last Sunday. Don't get me wrong, the Western food is good value but it's not haute cuisine or anything. But keep in mind I'm talking to Ulysses, who doesn't care if dishes look and taste arty or not. :o The Thai and Northern food I think is truly quite good. I actually think they do a tastier bamboo curry (kaeng Noh) then some allegedly famous places like Huean Phen. But bring the Mrs and let he be the judge. :D So the nice thing about the place is that you can have a burger or pork chop and fries or whatever and be happy, and the Mrs has excellent Thai or Northern fare and ALSO be happy. Not many single restaurants pull that off.

Edited by TheEmperorOfTheNorth

The Kafe has been a really good deal for years and the Golden Triangle Rider can often be found out front.

I'd love to go there and then the Ginger Cafe - which is about 1/2 block away - with a group of TVers and compare the Thai food in both places. :o

The Kafe has been a really good deal for years and the Golden Triangle Rider can often be found out front.

I'd love to go there and then the Ginger Cafe - which is about 1/2 block away - with a group of TVers and compare the Thai food in both places. :o

could be a possiblity after the unofficial piss up later this month, although most will be unable to walk the 1/2 block by that stage :D

Ulysses the car park at the House is a thing of wonder in the middle of Moonmuang like that. That's an awfully expensive bit of asphalt you're (not in your case) parking on.

BTW can you give some prices.....ish?

Edited by sleepyjohn

I could certainly be wrong because I ordered a few items, but it seems to me that something common like a Pad Thai was 180 baht, plus 10% service charge. I think that a very simular one would be under 100 baht at Art Cafe, JJs or Black Canyon Coffeeshop. :o

I have only been to the Ginger Cafe once so can't really comment, but I think that for some places in Chiang Mai which charge more, you can't simply compare it to another based on the same dish offered. Some places offer an ambiance which suit a certain type of person. I am sure that you can have a cosmo at Warmup for a fraction of the price of The House...but I don't want to sit in Warmup. I feel old there! I would rather lounge back at the Morroccan lounge of The House and I don't mind paying extra for it. I know that some people mind, because for some, it is a matter of not wanting to feel ripped off and decor and ambiance simply doesn't come into it. The House invests in its staff, its decor, its overall ambiance. I think that that is where the price gets justified. But as I said, it is simply a matter of taste and of preference. I have friends who simply don't enjoy the decor there. It is just not their style and that is fair enough. That is why I think that it is so lovely that Chiang Mai now has this variety of venues to offer us. We all have different needs and different tastes as well as different pockets. It is good that we have these options. That is why I am loathe to rate restaurants etc simply on price. It is so much more personal than that...hence all the restaurant debates on this forum!

Count me another Kafe fan. It's like Cheers, 'everybody knows your name'. Food nothing special but I've never had a bad meal there, and the service is good. I eat there once every two weeks or so, usually from the Thai menu.

I have only been to the Ginger Cafe once so can't really comment, but I think that for some places in Chiang Mai which charge more, you can't simply compare it to another based on the same dish offered. Some places offer an ambiance which suit a certain type of person. I am sure that you can have a cosmo at Warmup for a fraction of the price of The House...but I don't want to sit in Warmup. I feel old there! I would rather lounge back at the Morroccan lounge of The House and I don't mind paying extra for it. I know that some people mind, because for some, it is a matter of not wanting to feel ripped off and decor and ambiance simply doesn't come into it. The House invests in its staff, its decor, its overall ambiance. I think that that is where the price gets justified. But as I said, it is simply a matter of taste and of preference. I have friends who simply don't enjoy the decor there. It is just not their style and that is fair enough. That is why I think that it is so lovely that Chiang Mai now has this variety of venues to offer us. We all have different needs and different tastes as well as different pockets. It is good that we have these options. That is why I am loathe to rate restaurants etc simply on price. It is so much more personal than that...hence all the restaurant debates on this forum!

Good points, saojingmai. :o

• 3 weeks later...

Another one to watch out for is The Siam Cafe in Loi Kroh Road.

The waitress/cashier there tried to charge me 500 baht (sic.) for electricity (I''d plugged in my laptop to their power, something I'd done several times before). I'd also brought others to spend there money there. There had never been mention of an electricity charge before.

In the middle of the 'discussion' she said I should go next door to the Internet shop - that was where her manager was. I did so. the guy in there didn't know what I was talking about. I came back and told her this; whereupon the manager/non-manager from next door came in and stood behind the counter with her. I was naturally bewildered by all this.

I took my 500 baht change off the cash register, and left. I think I left behind about 100 baht in change on top of the 500 - that wasn't worth fighting for.

The waitress's name was Wa.

Robroy - The charge for the electricity sounds excessive.

I have a Thai friend that owns a small eating place in the old town and he tells me that there's one foreigner that comes for breakfast with his laptop, plugs it in all morning, spreads papers all over the table and then leaves just before lunch (never buys lunch). He won't say anything to him because he's too 'greng jai'.

Maybe some restaurants have had enough of this type of person?

(I'm not saying you are like that)

Robroy - The charge for the electricity sounds excessive.

I have a Thai friend that owns a small eating place in the old town and he tells me that there's one foreigner that comes for breakfast with his laptop, plugs it in all morning, spreads papers all over the table and then leaves just before lunch (never buys lunch). He won't say anything to him because he's too 'greng jai'.

Maybe some restaurants have had enough of this type of person?

(I'm not saying you are like that)

at one time i had a small coffee cafe in SEA and this was one of my own personal pet peeves.... people who came in and used my electricity for their benefit and didn't even have the courtesy to ask me if it was ok... those that did ask were told it was ok.

the amount of money it cost me was not the issue. it was the assumption by them that what was mine was theirs. and chances are they weren't even communists.

when the menu lists coffee that is what i am selling and serving. extras are extra, or gratis, at my discretion.

There is a guy in Bangkok with a nice bookshop/cafe' that has his own blog and spends a lot of time on it whining about cheap-skates like this who buy one cup of coffee and sit around the shop all day reading and using the Wifi for free.

I love to read this stuff, because that is exactly why I don't want to do anything other than books! :o

The waitress/cashier there tried to charge me 500 baht (sic.) for electricity (I''d plugged in my laptop to their power, something I'd done several times before). I'd also brought others to spend there money there. There had never been mention of an electricity charge before.

In the middle of the 'discussion' she said I should go next door to the Internet shop - that was where her manager was. I did so. the guy in there didn't know what I was talking about. I came back and told her this; whereupon the manager/non-manager from next door came in and stood behind the counter with her. I was naturally bewildered by all this.

I took my 500 baht change off the cash register, and left. I think I left behind about 100 baht in change on top of the 500 - that wasn't worth fighting for.

Simple really. If you had asked if it was okay to plug in your computer, she was wrong. If you hadn't, you were wrong. The electricity cost would have been minimal, but common courtesy would require you to ask first.

Now this is interesting because in an earlier post of yours Siam Cafe

You wrote something very similar but with a single difference: vis

One place to avoid IMO is the Siam Cafe in Loi Kroh, where I spent 2 days eating, bringing guests (hundreds of baht spent) and wi-fi-ing recently. At the end of the second day my bill was 360 baht; they refused to give me any change from my 1000! On enquiring the girl (Wa) said it was her birthday.

I took this to be a typical Thai joke - until several minutes went by and still no change.

I then grabbed 500 baht off the till, and asked for the rest, please.

They sent me next door to talk to their 'manager'. The 'manager' said he had nothing to do with the Siam Cafe. Back I went and asked why they'd lied. No reply - their English became very bad at this point.

In the end they KEPT my remaining 140 baht as a (previously unmentioned) 'electricity charge' for my laptop.

I have been going to the Siam Cafe for 2 years and have always tipped generously. But no more.

It seems strange to me that before it was a birthday present and this time it is for electricity. So which one is correct or is it that you have some other reason for these posts?

just curious

Crow Boy

Now this is interesting because in an earlier post of yours Siam Cafe

You wrote something very similar but with a single difference: vis

One place to avoid IMO is the Siam Cafe in Loi Kroh, where I spent 2 days eating, bringing guests (hundreds of baht spent) and wi-fi-ing recently. At the end of the second day my bill was 360 baht; they refused to give me any change from my 1000! On enquiring the girl (Wa) said it was her birthday.

I took this to be a typical Thai joke - until several minutes went by and still no change.

I then grabbed 500 baht off the till, and asked for the rest, please.

They sent me next door to talk to their 'manager'. The 'manager' said he had nothing to do with the Siam Cafe. Back I went and asked why they'd lied. No reply - their English became very bad at this point.

In the end they KEPT my remaining 140 baht as a (previously unmentioned) 'electricity charge' for my laptop.

I have been going to the Siam Cafe for 2 years and have always tipped generously. But no more.

It seems strange to me that before it was a birthday present and this time it is for electricity. So which one is correct or is it that you have some other reason for these posts?

just curious

Crow Boy

He keeps on leaving 500 baht on the till, and then taking it back, and goes back for more. Strange!! Suddenly quiet too.

That's the second time that Wa has tried to Rob Robroy. And that's not a typo. Wa... please leave him alone. The last thing we need is a headline in Chiang Mai Mail 'ROBROY ROBBED'. Imagine the difficulty the Northern Thais will have pronouncing that one!!! Actually if she just threw him out would be easier.

But then that could be even more confusing because 'ROBROY LOBBED' would sound just the same if my wife said it!!!