What Time Is It?

Paleface

I wish I'd never read or posted in this thread now. I was doing so well at telling the time in my blissful ignorance. Now I'm virtually clueless.

I'm gonna stick to *chang* time, i.e. 2 to *chang*, 4 past *chang*, etc.

:o

Does anyone have any Nurofen? :D

I wish I'd never read or posted in this thread now. I was doing so well at telling the time in my blissful ignorance. Now I'm virtually clueless.

I'm gonna stick to *chang* time, i.e. 2 to *chang*, 4 past *chang*, etc.

Does anyone have any Nurofen? :D

I now know why, not many Thais wear watches. I used to think they couldn't afford them but now i think it's because they're scared to death someone will ask them the time :D:D

A riddle for you:

Early one morning, some time around dawn, I asked someone what time it was.

They said I was lying.

Where were they from ?

Edit>> - and what time was it ?

Like we don't have enough riddles here already! :o (No idea btw) :D

• 2 months later...

Yes you better should be confused. It is pretty difficult to learn and to use the Thai "ancient" time system, because the Thai are using this system not very consistent.

One of the 1st posts stated: the 24 hour system with the naalikaa's and the naathii's is fool uhhhh full proof.

After this post there were different explanations on Thai time, even from a Thai. Very important are to know the following hints:

- with Thai time but also in Thai language; if the other party understands you, it's okay!!

- it's generally known that making appointments with Thai is not always a succes. After a lot of appointments I found out why: if you have an appointment at 4 p.m. and the other party shows up at 4.45 p.m. it is because it is still 4 o'clock :D

- if you are not sure telling time the "ancient" way, please use the period of the day: for some people it is 6 a.m. = tii hok = hok moong chaaw

Ow ichubbygirl, it is indeed pretty confusing. A small notepad to draw the clock and show what you mean may be a solution.

Thanks ichubbygirl.

Now I'm really confused!