Moo Baan Wang Tan

DavidOxon

are the rice fields mosquito breeding grounds?

Not sure if all are the same.. But my experience says they are..

One of the things that makes me like a couple of (overpriced) rai out by royal flora is the fact its not rice paddy land and next to the Doi Saket national park.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We did visit BMT recently but it seemed like there was a lot of empty plots and quite run down so it's not even on the list. The same thing (old village that still has lots of unsold plots) put us off World Club Land. We are renting at Home in Park which is a successful well managed development and very family friendly, the only thing putting me off buying here is the houses are a little too small.

I am curious about what in BWT you felt was run down ?? The open spaces and plot sizes are the very thing I like about it.. Its the only moobaan I have been on which feels open with the trees by the roadsides, one of my worries is one day it will be fully built out. Its the very 'rusticness' of the development that appeals. Its almost village like but without the burning plastic and moobaan speaker issues.

World Club Land seems much smaller plot sizes and less organic feeling, more regimented.. Home in Park is stepford wives suburbia and while I think it seems well managed, and they seem decent enough build quality, the small plots are not how I want to live. I just looked at Sansaran's website but again it appears plots are in the 100 - 120 TW range, I need to find a plot in the >1 rai to 3 rai at a min as I am considering a family compound for aging parents (western for once) and a home for my brother on the same plot.

I'm not sure what part, we drove around for a fair while though.

Regarding World Club Land there are some huge plots available but will be more expensive than BWT. There are some older village's on the canal road like Chiang Mai Lakeland & Highland Park which have large plots at cheaper prices, the problem is a lack of management/maintenance. You could buy multiple plots at Sansaran but not much left in Phase 1 so would have to wait for Phase 2.

Good luck with your project.

I came up from pattaya to have a look at this moobaan,i'm finding pattaya and jomtien a little expensive and am over the barscene.I have a gf and play golf a couple of days a week, attend school 3days a week(visa requirements as i am under 50)tend to drink less out, maybe a few after golf.

First impressions it seemed set well back from the main road,would definitely need own transport.The restaurant was nice as was the pool and lake,tennis courts were run down,but alright for a fun hit.

There didn't seemed to be anyone living there,no one walking around,a lot of for rent and for sale signs,maybe everybody was at work.A couple of ladies from the restaurant (not sure if they were agents)showed me three houses for rent.Not sure what section i was in,the houses backed on to a rice field.The first two were small 3bedroom houses,looked about 10 to 15yrs old,unfurnished,a bit rundown,one had a large garden at back,they were asking 13 to 14000bht a month.The third was very nice,lovely furnishings small 3 bedroom house,but very presentable asking 20000bht a month or 3.9million bht for sale.

Are these price indicative of rental prices?Would you recommend it as a good family area(gf pregnant),i saw a couple of dogs lazing about,is it safe to walk and bikeride around the moo baan without been bitten,i live in jomtien,plenty of soi dogs on the beaches,they don't seem to bother anyone.

I couldn't quite get my bearings as i was taken around in a hired taxi,how far to huay keaw rd by car (language school 3 times a week)and golf,would like to join one of the societies,and maybe join a club like highlands??

I quite liked the moo baan,plenty of space and seemed peaceful,heard the planes go over,didn't bother me,

Not sure about BWT but should also take a look at The Emperor, Baan Nai Fun, Home in Park, Koolapunt 8. Most of these are on the Canal Road which is easy access to your language school. Hang Dong Golf club is also on the canal road.

I am looking for land to build in the 'close to, but not in, town' range.. And keep coming back to the BWT, sure I would probably have a couple of rai in other locations v 1 rai or so there, but the solid internet, insulation from usual neighbor issues, assurances a tin shack karaoke wont open next door, yet decent space unlike most moobaans keep me coming back to the plot(s) I like.

Seems like the money spent on land prices there are not that far inflated compared to other premium locations (like royal flora area or anywhere decent within 10kms of town).

I'm in a similar position and have been looking for some suitable land for 1 year now. We did visit BMT recently but it seemed like there was a lot of empty plots and quite run down so it's not even on the list. The same thing (old village that still has lots of unsold plots) put us off World Club Land. We are renting at Home in Park which is a successful well managed development and very family friendly, the only thing putting me off buying here is the houses are a little too small. We are 90% decided to custom build something at Sansaran (same developer as Home in Park) which has also sold very quickly. The only other development we considered is Chiang Mai Lakeland, but again that suffers from a now derelict club house and the moobarn looks poorly managed, a pity because its in a good location.

Out of interest what are the land prices at BWT?

Hi

we moved to BWT unseen, renting for a year.

We loved the open spaces and bought a plot and built a house (in zone 4)

No problems with dogs here. Land is currently 8000/talang wah

But not much for sale,

David

I came up from pattaya to have a look at this moobaan,i'm finding pattaya and jomtien a little expensive and am over the barscene.I have a gf and play golf a couple of days a week, attend school 3days a week(visa requirements as i am under 50)tend to drink less out, maybe a few after golf.

First impressions it seemed set well back from the main road,would definitely need own transport.The restaurant was nice as was the pool and lake,tennis courts were run down,but alright for a fun hit.

There didn't seemed to be anyone living there,no one walking around,a lot of for rent and for sale signs,maybe everybody was at work.A couple of ladies from the restaurant (not sure if they were agents)showed me three houses for rent.Not sure what section i was in,the houses backed on to a rice field.The first two were small 3bedroom houses,looked about 10 to 15yrs old,unfurnished,a bit rundown,one had a large garden at back,they were asking 13 to 14000bht a month.The third was very nice,lovely furnishings small 3 bedroom house,but very presentable asking 20000bht a month or 3.9million bht for sale.

Are these price indicative of rental prices?Would you recommend it as a good family area(gf pregnant),i saw a couple of dogs lazing about,is it safe to walk and bikeride around the moo baan without been bitten,i live in jomtien,plenty of soi dogs on the beaches,they don't seem to bother anyone.

I couldn't quite get my bearings as i was taken around in a hired taxi,how far to huay keaw rd by car (language school 3 times a week)and golf,would like to join one of the societies,and maybe join a club like highlands??

I quite liked the moo baan,plenty of space and seemed peaceful,heard the planes go over,didn't bother me,

Been here for 3 yrs and renting... I pay 12k Baht for a fully furnished 3 br 2 bath home with a huge western kitchen (2 AC and a clothes washer). Some sois have somewhat aggressive dogs with mine being one. Hardly any foot traffic as everyone knows the 3-5 dogs at the end of soi will bother them. I on the other hand jog 3-4 times a week and never had any problems as I know to handle soi dogs. (I pretend to pick up a rock and fake a throw at them. This usually causes them to scurry off.) A few of the neighbors have dogs that are constant barkers and this tends to get annoying. However I just learn to crank up the TV or music louder to drown them out. Air traffic can be noisy at times but it only lasts for a few seconds and not too often. Yes, there are mosquitoes but aren't they throughout Thailand? I notice that they only tend to bite for approximately 1/2 hr during a certain period at dusk.

Overall I like living here obviously as I haven't left... rolleyes.gif

Well I'm enjoying BWT it's lovely! I'm in project 5 and it seems very quiet and nice people - I love the 'feel' of BWT being like a resort - long winding lanes with trees - very nice place I must say. I plan to stay weekdays and in my studio in town on weekends - best of both worlds.

Some sois have somewhat aggressive dogs with mine being one. Hardly any foot traffic as everyone knows the 3-5 dogs at the end of soi will bother them. I on the other hand jog 3-4 times a week and never had any problems as I know to handle soi dogs. (I pretend to pick up a rock and fake a throw at them. This usually causes them to scurry off.) A few of the neighbors have dogs that are constant barkers and this tends to get annoying. However I just learn to crank up the TV or music louder to drown them out.

Overall I like living here obviously as I haven't left... rolleyes.gif

You've just described my picture of hell. I've just moved from a Moobaan near Doi Saket because of neandertal farang neighbours with barking dogs.These wild beasts made more noise when the owners were at home and they never made any attempt to restrain them. They must enjoy this primitive gut-wrenching racket. As I prefer Monteverdi I moved.

Now in a quiet spacious development where the houses are surrounded by large plots many of which are vacant but sold. Much in the same style as Baan Wang Tan but 10kms from the Superhighway up the 118 Chiang Rai road.The owners have recently started a new development having done the groundwork but not yet built any houses. Its called Lanna Lake View and adjoins the one I'm in.

I am looking for land to build in the 'close to, but not in, town' range.. And keep coming back to the BWT, sure I would probably have a couple of rai in other locations v 1 rai or so there, but the solid internet, insulation from usual neighbor issues, assurances a tin shack karaoke wont open next door, yet decent space unlike most moobaans keep me coming back to the plot(s) I like.

Seems like the money spent on land prices there are not that far inflated compared to other premium locations (like royal flora area or anywhere decent within 10kms of town).

I'm in a similar position and have been looking for some suitable land for 1 year now. We did visit BMT recently but it seemed like there was a lot of empty plots and quite run down so it's not even on the list. The same thing (old village that still has lots of unsold plots) put us off World Club Land. We are renting at Home in Park which is a successful well managed development and very family friendly, the only thing putting me off buying here is the houses are a little too small. We are 90% decided to custom build something at Sansaran (same developer as Home in Park) which has also sold very quickly. The only other development we considered is Chiang Mai Lakeland, but again that suffers from a now derelict club house and the moobarn looks poorly managed, a pity because its in a good location.

Hi

But not much for sale,

David

Maybe someone could explain why the developer has been trying to unload his house for more than 5 years. The dog problem starts 200 m past the gate on the right. Thai renters feed soi dogs and let them roam at night. Another 100 m on the left is where a policeman built a 10+ million thb home, and his golden retrievers are out in the street. A large german shepherd near the clubhouse roaming..............Third World residents in an almost first World Development.

Hi

But not much for sale,

David

Maybe someone could explain why the developer has been trying to unload his house for more than 5 years. The dog problem starts 200 m past the gate on the right. Thai renters feed soi dogs and let them roam at night. Another 100 m on the left is where a policeman built a 10+ million thb home, and his golden retrievers are out in the street. A large german shepherd near the clubhouse roaming..............Third World residents in an almost first World Development.

I can't speak for the rest of the moobaan but where I am there is not a dog problem that I can see so far (apart from some yapping nusisances). Anyone trying to sell a house (or anything) for 5 years unsuccessfully is overpriced. I have condos here and if I can't rent/sell them its because the market thinks I am asking too much - the developer I bought my house from has sold 16 so far.

He does not live there,the house is too big for just him and his wife. The long period it has been on the market is probably because the price is too high. Like me he wants to sell and get something smaller. 3 of his brothers and a sister also live on the estate. Does that help with your concerns?

The dog problem-no worse/better than anywhere else I have lived in Thailand.As for the third world residents,I believe most have now left the estate.

Edited by Thailand

He does not live there,the house is too big for just him and his wife. The long period it has been on the market is probably because the price is too high. Like me he wants to sell and get something smaller. 3 of his brothers and a sister also live on the estate. Does that help with your concerns?

The dog problem-no worse/better than anywhere else I have lived in Thailand.As for the third world residents,I believe most have now left the estate.

Third world residents living in a second world country surrounded by first world farangs? hmmm blink.gif

And then there's the sewer gas issues. Notice how the houses don't have drain vents coming out the roofs? That's why the sewer gas comes back into the house through the drains.

Jeeze man... if you don't like it move? my house is only two years old and I haven't found any problems so far - I guess it depends who built yours and how old is it etc. etc.

And then there's the sewer gas issues. Notice how the houses don't have drain vents coming out the roofs? That's why the sewer gas comes back into the house through the drains.

Sewers ?? I thought BWT would not have been sewer connected ?? Shouldnt any decent build have water traps on all waste water pipes ??

No house I have ever lived in in Thailand had 'roof top' drain vents..

I sold in 2008. I take my investments very seriously, and I believe those responsible for making my investment worth less, need to be exposed. Let me be clear that it's not a farang v. thai thing-it's people who are considerate v. those who are not.

so - it's largely a Thai/Farang thing - as Thais (generally) are much less considerate - but we live here! our choice

Sewers ?? I thought BWT would not have been sewer connected ?? Shouldnt any decent build have water traps on all waste water pipes ??

Septic gas is generally referred to as sewer gas. Yes, all waste water pipes should be trapped. but then they would drain extremely slow without the vent. Take a big full 2 liter bottle of water...turn it upside down--notice how it doesn't drain smoothly? Now try it with a whole in the bottom--drains about 5 times quicker.....these things can be re-engineered, I do stuff like that all the time on houses formerly occupied by Mexicans. Viscious dog breeders aren't quite as easy to re-engineer--believe me, I've tried.

Still have questions? try a search on youtube (if it is still allowed) for "drain vent."

When you have traps with no drain vents on the other side gasses can bubble though the traps. The houses in our moo ban here in Chiang Mai all have drain vents but they are small 2 inch pipes that vent through the walls a little higher than the drain pipe and not through the roof. I was a bit worried about it at first as I thought the smell might come in the windows but I haven't noticed anything yet. Based on the quality of some of the work here I am quite happy not to have any holes in the roof. I've noticed in other moo bans that some septic tanks are vented. That might work as well. In any case the sewers themselves are not airtight.

Nice place to live but the airplanes are getting irritating.The new airport is planned but will be years away.

You may be right, but I heard the same thing 8 years ago, since when the runway has been extended, to take a fully-laden 747 with fuel for long-haul, and the terminal-buildings have doubled in size. So I myself wouldn't count on any new airport getting built any time soon. :(

When you have traps with no drain vents on the other side gasses can bubble though the traps. The houses in our moo ban here in Chiang Mai all have drain vents but they are small 2 inch pipes that vent through the walls a little higher than the drain pipe and not through the roof. I was a bit worried about it at first as I thought the smell might come in the windows but I haven't noticed anything yet. Based on the quality of some of the work here I am quite happy not to have any holes in the roof. I've noticed in other moo bans that some septic tanks are vented. That might work as well. In any case the sewers themselves are not airtight.

You can get an in line vent, that only let's enough air in, but none out. And it is good not to have the holes in the roofs. You can vent 1 or 2 fixtures with a 1.5" vent, 3 or more require a two inch. The main vent (on the toilet) is not an appropriate application for these.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=oatey+in+line+vents&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=10665344685027837234&ei=AZJgTavmEYLSsAO-wdC9CA&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CDIQ8wIwBA#

100 THB--good investment. I think they call them AAVs, but I call them in-line vents.

• 8 months later...

Came to look around this moo baan this week as am looking into purchasing a block. Was happy with the general impression of openness but gf (Thai) worried by the amount of high grass vegetation re snakes. Anyone have any experience?

Also previous posts have referred to 5 areas - I cannot find (on the net) any clear maps accurately depicting the moo baan let alone marking the actual areas. Has anybody got such an animal or know where I can obtain one, please?

I have spent a fair time today creating a map from Google Earth (pdf attached)

Any information will be appreciated.

BWT_Map1.pdf

sections 4 and 5 are closest to the main gate, 1,2, and 3 are more around the clubhouse/lakes. As a single person, I would go for a condo--closer in--and not have to worry about clampdowns on lease backs. BWT is beautifully laid out. I was very impressed with the designs, and coming from Virginia I, too, liked the tree lined streets and mature landscaping. I though it would be a perfect place to take long night time walks--and I was 100% wrong. My fee was 300, when I sold in 2008, and it may have gone up again. It was 250 in 2006. If you can "steal" a small bungalow for 700K--I would do it--but I think it would be a very poor 3-10 million investment for the larger homes, and you would be better off paying rent with dividends from that money. As an investor--a home is only worth 8-12 times annual rent....do the Math.

There are also some real dickheads living in there. Generally renters, who have zero vested interest in the community. The soi on the way out is almost a lost cause, and at one time was kind of fun to hang out on. There has just been a revolving door of shack bars that don't last a full year. The tables next door to the 7-11 are fun and kind of Sukhumvitish--a huge flow of people stopping in for a few cold ones or other items. Next time, I am going to rent a condo behind Kad San Gaew for about 4000 per month and will be reducing the risk of a premature death on Hang Dong Rd.

BTW, it seems like a high percentage of missionaries and their bratty kids live along HD Rd. and attend the various private schools there, as well as the slaves, err, I mean teachers that work there----another minus in my book.

Came to look around this moo baan this week as am looking into purchasing a block. Was happy with the general impression of openness but gf (Thai) worried by the amount of high grass vegetation re snakes. Anyone have any experience?

Also previous posts have referred to 5 areas - I cannot find (on the net) any clear maps accurately depicting the moo baan let alone marking the actual areas. Has anybody got such an animal or know where I can obtain one, please?

What is a "block" you want to purchase?

MSPain

I can't comment on this moobaan in particular but there are snakes all over this time of year. It has stopped raining so they are looking to find a more plentiful supply of water and frogs. There have been 4 snakes in my garden during the last week. Can't stop mother nature. Hey, this is Thailand. The g/f should be used to it by now I would think???

almost never see snakes, and then, l]just the little harmless Loation Wolf Snake that the cars kill for us.

I probably disagree with 80% of what Thailander says...

I love it here, bought a plot 3 years ago and built a house

in project (area) 3, nearish the restaurant (which i visit most days)

David

9 years here myself and love it also.

Looking to sell our far too big house but would prefer to stay on the estate when that actually happens.

Simply same estate smaller property.

Snakes, very rare nowadays with building going on in many places, they don't like noise much.