Moo Baan Wang Tan

DavidOxon

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yup, I'm there, have been for several years, it's great. Several people who have lived here have since moved on so I suggest renting not buying but no particular reason for that other than there are flight paths to the airport (and future growth of that) to take into account. Very green and shady and generally maturing very well, though the bridge is being replaced so excuse the dirt track on the way in!

I live in Wang Tan as well and we are buying our house. Quiet, safe, decent restaurant and pool.

If you know Hang Dong Road, the moo ban is located off the East side of the road across from the really tall Sony sign just south of the new ring road - about 3 km South of Tesco Lotus.

We're renting starting January 3rd! Wife's sister has been looking for somewhere for us

and come up with Wang Tan. House belongs to US/Thai couple who are returning to the US for now.

Pool looks nice too . . . is there anything within walking distance in the way of eateries?

What's the restaraunt on site like?

I'm guessing as I've had replies that internet is available? ADSL - or dial up?

Dustoff - I always think you look like a diver in you avatar! - looks like you're wearing a dry suit!

Anyway - see you guys soon :o:D :D

David n Jup

"Dustoff - I always think you look like a diver in you avatar! - looks like you're wearing a dry suit!"

Good observation. I'm betting it's a motorcycle suit he's wearing, but I see what you mean. And in any case probably fitting as many a man has done many a kinds of diving.

We're renting starting January 3rd! Wife's sister has been looking for somewhere for us

and come up with Wang Tan. House belongs to US/Thai couple who are returning to the US for now.

Pool looks nice too . . . is there anything within walking distance in the way of eateries?

I'm guessing as I've had replies that internet is available? ADSL - or dial up?

Dustoff - I always think you look like a diver in you avatar! - looks like you're wearing a dry suit!

Anyway - see you guys soon :o:D :D

David n Jup

RealThaiDeal is right - while not exactly a suit, it is my biker vest over a black t-shirt.

Your sister in law has made a good choice - I am quite comfortable here, especially the quietness but for the above-mentioned approach path to the airport. Being a career commercial pilot I don't even notice it and 90% of the time the planes are sliding in quietly unless the wind is coming out of the South which puts us under the takeoff path. But what the hey, CNX is not LAX.. The West side of the village is more under the approach path while the East side (where we live) is far enough away to make a big difference. Perhaps five times a month I have to briefly pause a telephone conversation when some big lumbering beast is taking off to the South but otherwise the loudest noises here are the multitude of birds. It is my guess that unless you are just not happy anywhere, you will be quite happy here in Ban Wang Tan.

I like the restaurant here which has outside seating on large porches on the edge of a little lake and has live music most evenings. It was a place of choice for regular live classical music performances but I don't know if that is still happening. As for restaurants nearby, nothing within reasonable walking distance as the main road (Hangdong Rd) is almost 2 km away. There are a few decent restaurants within 10 minutes or less but I don't mind going a little further for the advantage of being away from the city and the noise and the pollution.

ADSL is in the village - I use TOT but I think that TT&T and possibly a few others are available.

Is someone else renting a place for you sight unseen? There are many places for rent in here and the prices range from 6-10k/B for a 2Br/1Ba on up to 15-20k/B for a very impressive house. Our's is a very nice 3Br/2Ba brick home that would probably rent for +/- 12k/B.

Let us know when you arrive and we can share a welcome home dinner at the restaurant.

da Dustoff

Yeah, their on-site restaurant is in semi-walking distanced, depending on where in the moo ban you are. :o

I do like the restaurant, it's pretty good actually. Not cheap, but also not more expensive than similar food with similar service in town.

The Hang Dong road has loads of cheap food all along it. The Joke stall is top class (get the 'everything'-joke), the Phat Thai guy reasonable, the Honda dealer area varies, and the Khao-man-kai & Moo Krob lady near the 7-eleven is lovely, go for the moo krob & chicken combo on khao-man. Across the road North from the Sony sign during the day is a Southern Thai food shop with food potent enough to run your truck for a week.

Closest proper market is probably the Mae Hia market on the Canal Road.. This market went through a mini-boom and is getting really extensive, with also some cheap food options there of varying quality. The grilled Sai Ua sausage is among the best in town, though. (Ton Makham or something)

And then Big C will be opening nearby... Presumably with a food court and the usual food suspects. :D

Edited by TheEmperorOfTheNorth

• 3 years later...

I just bought a small 2 bed house on a 400 sqm block there. After checking around other moo baans I kept coming back to this place for the wide tree lined streets, pool/restaurant and general quietness. All the homes are neat and tidy and no cars on blocks out the front rubbish.

Had a bit of luck, I was going to rent but found a for sale sign on a gate , liked the house but the number was wrong or changed so was about to give up but then while showing the place to a friend I found the owners (from BKK) happened to be around so we cut a deal. Very happy so far!

I will be building a workshop and spare room in the back as well as extending the back of the house to include and extra bedroom with bathroom, bigger lounge and new kitchen.

I just bought a small 2 bed house on a 400 sqm block there. After checking around other moo baans I kept coming back to this place for the wide tree lined streets, pool/restaurant and general quietness. All the homes are neat and tidy and no cars on blocks out the front rubbish.

Had a bit of luck, I was going to rent but found a for sale sign on a gate , liked the house but the number was wrong or changed so was about to give up but then while showing the place to a friend I found the owners (from BKK) happened to be around so we cut a deal. Very happy so far!

I will be building a workshop and spare room in the back as well as extending the back of the house to include and extra bedroom with bathroom, bigger lounge and new kitchen.

When I was looking around in 2004, this moo bahn was my favourite and if I had bought anywhere, I think it would have been here.

However, I decided to build nearer town, but would certainly recommend here as an option.

Good luck with your house. smile.gif

I am looking for land to build in the 'close to, but not in, town' range.. And keep coming back to the BWT, sure I would probably have a couple of rai in other locations v 1 rai or so there, but the solid internet, insulation from usual neighbor issues, assurances a tin shack karaoke wont open next door, yet decent space unlike most moobaans keep me coming back to the plot(s) I like.

Seems like the money spent on land prices there are not that far inflated compared to other premium locations (like royal flora area or anywhere decent within 10kms of town).

Wow! One of my first posts resurrected!

We came here and rented for a year, liked it so much we bought a plot of land and built a house. I use the restaurant at least once a week (it's 3 mins walk from my house) and use the pool daily when it's not too cold. The open spaces make it like living in a big park. For me, the best moo baan in Chiang Mai.

David

I lived there for 6 months a year ago. I quite liked the house (bit small for us though 0 hence we moved on). Our neighbours were <deleted>, but that's the luck of the draw (actually we were a corner plot, Thais opposite and nect door and behind (way behind) and some German girls across the road - the German girls kept themselves to them selves, but the Thais were just rude, miserable, moaning, dirty looks (just me and my kids - no hookers etc) - which was a shame). The Moobahn was nice - liked the pool - very underused. Lake is nice to sit at and watch the swans etc from time to time.

I had only two real issues with the place:

- Its kind of well out of the way - and good 20 minute walk to Hang Dong Rd (I was about as far away as you can get on the far side of the MB too, which didn't help) - which could be a pain (and was) if the car/bike plays up - and SongTaews never liked going there.

- I only ate at the resaurant once - everyone tells me (before and since) that it is great - well they had a seious off day when I went (with 8 people - mostly Thais). Food was so so at best, but what really did it was finding 3 dead coackroaches in my Hormok! I notified the waitress who nonchalantly took it away (after seeing the corpses of the not-so-dearly departed) - never to replace it- later I was informed I wouldn't be charged for the hormok (although the rest of the bill was about 3k or more - only soft drinks) - too bloody right! Probably an off day - but certainly kept me away from the place (it was actually the day we moved in too - so for the whole time I lived there I avoided it like the plaque).

I looked at land and thought about building but liked our place so much and immediately saw the potential that I decided to get out of renting (the lease was up)and can live in it and spend the money we saved making some extension and renovations on the back. Plus there is a lot of work to make a garden and this place has some mature trees. Neighbours seem nice although a Farang girl across the street musn't have swept up outside her place for years and has some crazy dogs tied up all day barking....I was a little disappointed that at first I thought we were off the flight path (for landings) but for take offs they turn and come right overhead!

I only stayed a couple days though before heading out to work but my family are happy there.

For the long termers.. Has it ever flooded ??

And when the ping does flood, where does it generally break its banks and where do the flood waters tend to lie ??

It flooded in 2005 or whenever the big flood hit chiang mai and was under water up to the club house/pool area from the ping river. I have lived here for about 7 years(leaving in may) and that is the only time i have seen it flood.

Nice place to live but the airplanes are getting irritating.The new airport is planned but will be years away. Quite a few flights that pass directly over the west end on take offs. They keep raising the monthly fees, the owner is trying to shove it off on residents at this point, not sure what that will bring. Maintenance is non existent to the gym and tennis which are about unuseable. They rebuilt the pool not long ago, but they cant seem to test the water correctly so it turns green quite often as it is not cleaned regularly. Lots of construction and will be built out within a few years thus losing appeal. Rents have gone thru the roof, or they try to go thru the roof, as it used to be very affordable. There seem to be more farang in here with the thai speculator trying to hook one with some really outrageous rents. Trash collection is good.Water service is good and no need for a tank, internet service is very good and the electricity can go out during wind storms it seems, I guess could be stronger but still good. The street sweepers that you are billed for have been fired. Security is a joke, but you get what you pay for and are pretty nice guys.

And when the ping does flood, where does it generally break its banks and where do the flood waters tend to lie ??

It flooded in 2005 or whenever the big flood hit chiang mai and was under water up to the club house/pool area from the ping river. I have lived here for about 7 years(leaving in may) and that is the only time i have seen it flood.

Nice place to live but the airplanes are getting irritating.The new airport is planned but will be years away. Quite a few flights that pass directly over the west end on take offs. They keep raising the monthly fees, the owner is trying to shove it off on residents at this point, not sure what that will bring. Maintenance is non existent to the gym and tennis which are about unuseable. They rebuilt the pool not long ago, but they cant seem to test the water correctly so it turns green quite often as it is not cleaned regularly. Lots of construction and will be built out within a few years thus losing appeal. Rents have gone thru the roof, or they try to go thru the roof, as it used to be very affordable. There seem to be more farang in here with the thai speculator trying to hook one with some really outrageous rents. Trash collection is good.Water service is good and no need for a tank, internet service is very good and the electricity can go out during wind storms it seems, I guess could be stronger but still good. The street sweepers that you are billed for have been fired. Security is a joke, but you get what you pay for and are pretty nice guys.

A lot of what you say is correct but they haven't sacked the street sweepers. Our soi was swept today, as it is every week despite the huge amount of falling leaves at this time of the year. The pool wasn't rebuilt,some tiles were replaced last year,even it took them 3 months.I swim every day and the pool has been perfect for the last 3 weeks weeks following a period of it being in a bad state. New pump/filter has been installed and maintenance now done by those who know what they are doing.You are correct about the gym and tennis courts but this is typical of many Thai developments, tart it up to sell most of the land, and then not provide maintenance.Electricity can go out anywhere in CM during storms.Fees have gone up but are still way below many other developments. I share your frustration with some aspects of management practices or should I say no management.

Our soi and the surrounding soi's are swept on a regular basis, tell the office if yours is not being done.

The management fees have gone up twice, maybe three times since we moved in 8 years ago so not excessive. If you attended the last two meetings in December and January you will know why, I believe every household was invited though only some 70 people (2 Farang)out of the 500 houses plus on the estate bothered to turn up. The opportunity to make voices heard if individuals were unhappy about something were not taken by most people.

Security could certainly be improved but with such a rambling estate and so many ways to get to get in bypassing the main entrances it is difficult to maintain although the guards make regular patrols during the night, a partial deterrent .

There is also a management committee, 12 persons I think, to whom you can pass your complaints or suggestions, again, every household has been advised who they are and given their contact details.

Well when it comes to the above issues.. The only one that really concerns me is the flooding..

My thinking is I dont like most moobaans, BWT is the only one I would consider that I have seen so far, only one with multi rai plot sizes and things. So my choice is essentially unmanaged development land or BWT. When looked at that way its a case of slightly lax security or no security, not sweeping the leaves regularly to not at all, and all the other issues with neighbor issues that can crop up.

I would be building a pool etc anyway so condition of the moobaan pool isnt really a concern.

Still undecided but still not put off.

Well when it comes to the above issues.. The only one that really concerns me is the flooding..

My thinking is I dont like most moobaans, BWT is the only one I would consider that I have seen so far, only one with multi rai plot sizes and things. So my choice is essentially unmanaged development land or BWT. When looked at that way its a case of slightly lax security or no security, not sweeping the leaves regularly to not at all, and all the other issues with neighbor issues that can crop up.

I would be building a pool etc anyway so condition of the moobaan pool isnt really a concern.

Still undecided but still not put off.

The area was prone to flooding 7-8 years ago until the whole area had flood controls and water runaways built under roads etc in the Amphur. Now ,even with the heaviest downpours, the water quickly runs away.

Getting older now so we are looking to sell our house with pool this year and move to a smaller more managable place, but hopefully still on BWT.

• 2 weeks later...

How does it compare with your neighbouring, larger mooban kwanwiang?

A lot of what you say is correct but they haven't sacked the street sweepers. Our soi was swept today, as it is every week despite the huge amount of falling leaves at this time of the year. The pool wasn't rebuilt,some tiles were replaced last year,even it took them 3 months.I swim every day and the pool has been perfect for the last 3 weeks weeks following a period of it being in a bad state. New pump/filter has been installed and maintenance now done by those who know what they are doing.You are correct about the gym and tennis courts but this is typical of many Thai developments, tart it up to sell most of the land, and then not provide maintenance.Electricity can go out anywhere in CM during storms.Fees have gone up but are still way below many other developments. I share your frustration with some aspects of management practices or should I say no management.

Like my friend told me..."I don't think you will get burglarized, but I can't say the same about a dog bite." I paid 915,000 and sold for 990,000. There are probably 4 houses involved with the breeding of dangerous dogs and two more that have taken it upon themselves to be foster homes for 5+ soi dogs, like the dick with the Yellow VW. The design was beautiful, there are just too many renters that benefit from the deterioration of the place. By the time it is fully built, it is probably going to suck, and it is too far from the main road, which is very much of a rookie mistake in LOS. Yellow taxis rule (till 9:30).

My impression would be it very much depends where you are tho on the moobaan.. Sure zone 5 your subject to neighbours but I wouldnt consider that part..

Section 3.. Down by the 'lakes' or out to the eastern side.. Hardly seems over run with dog breeders ?!?

I am looking for land to build in the 'close to, but not in, town' range.. And keep coming back to the BWT, sure I would probably have a couple of rai in other locations v 1 rai or so there, but the solid internet, insulation from usual neighbor issues, assurances a tin shack karaoke wont open next door, yet decent space unlike most moobaans keep me coming back to the plot(s) I like.

Seems like the money spent on land prices there are not that far inflated compared to other premium locations (like royal flora area or anywhere decent within 10kms of town).

I'm in a similar position and have been looking for some suitable land for 1 year now. We did visit BMT recently but it seemed like there was a lot of empty plots and quite run down so it's not even on the list. The same thing (old village that still has lots of unsold plots) put us off World Club Land. We are renting at Home in Park which is a successful well managed development and very family friendly, the only thing putting me off buying here is the houses are a little too small. We are 90% decided to custom build something at Sansaran (same developer as Home in Park) which has also sold very quickly. The only other development we considered is Chiang Mai Lakeland, but again that suffers from a now derelict club house and the moobarn looks poorly managed, a pity because its in a good location.

Out of interest what are the land prices at BWT?

I'm in a similar position and have been looking for some suitable land for 1 year now. We did visit BMT recently but it seemed like there was a lot of empty plots and quite run down so it's not even on the list. The same thing (old village that still has lots of unsold plots) put us off World Club Land. We are renting at Home in Park which is a successful well managed development and very family friendly, the only thing putting me off buying here is the houses are a little too small. We are 90% decided to custom build something at Sansaran (same developer as Home in Park) which has also sold very quickly. The only other development we considered is Chiang Mai Lakeland, but again that suffers from a now derelict club house and the moobarn looks poorly managed, a pity because its in a good location.

Hi

we moved to BWT unseen, renting for a year.

We loved the open spaces and bought a plot and built a house (in zone 4)

No problems with dogs here. Land is currently 8000/talang wah

But not much for sale,

David

Hi

we moved to BWT unseen, renting for a year.

We loved the open spaces and bought a plot and built a house (in zone 4)

No problems with dogs here. Land is currently 8000/talang wah

But not much for sale,

David

I came up from pattaya to have a look at this moobaan,i'm finding pattaya and jomtien a little expensive and am over the barscene.I have a gf and play golf a couple of days a week, attend school 3days a week(visa requirements as i am under 50)tend to drink less out, maybe a few after golf.

First impressions it seemed set well back from the main road,would definitely need own transport.The restaurant was nice as was the pool and lake,tennis courts were run down,but alright for a fun hit.

There didn't seemed to be anyone living there,no one walking around,a lot of for rent and for sale signs,maybe everybody was at work.A couple of ladies from the restaurant (not sure if they were agents)showed me three houses for rent.Not sure what section i was in,the houses backed on to a rice field.The first two were small 3bedroom houses,looked about 10 to 15yrs old,unfurnished,a bit rundown,one had a large garden at back,they were asking 13 to 14000bht a month.The third was very nice,lovely furnishings small 3 bedroom house,but very presentable asking 20000bht a month or 3.9million bht for sale.

Are these price indicative of rental prices?Would you recommend it as a good family area(gf pregnant),i saw a couple of dogs lazing about,is it safe to walk and bikeride around the moo baan without been bitten,i live in jomtien,plenty of soi dogs on the beaches,they don't seem to bother anyone.

I couldn't quite get my bearings as i was taken around in a hired taxi,how far to huay keaw rd by car (language school 3 times a week)and golf,would like to join one of the societies,and maybe join a club like highlands??

I quite liked the moo baan,plenty of space and seemed peaceful,heard the planes go over,didn't bother me,

are the rice fields mosquito breeding grounds?

Edited by machans88

We did visit BMT recently but it seemed like there was a lot of empty plots and quite run down so it's not even on the list. The same thing (old village that still has lots of unsold plots) put us off World Club Land. We are renting at Home in Park which is a successful well managed development and very family friendly, the only thing putting me off buying here is the houses are a little too small.

I am curious about what in BWT you felt was run down ?? The open spaces and plot sizes are the very thing I like about it.. Its the only moobaan I have been on which feels open with the trees by the roadsides, one of my worries is one day it will be fully built out. Its the very 'rusticness' of the development that appeals. Its almost village like but without the burning plastic and moobaan speaker issues.

World Club Land seems much smaller plot sizes and less organic feeling, more regimented.. Home in Park is stepford wives suburbia and while I think it seems well managed, and they seem decent enough build quality, the small plots are not how I want to live. I just looked at Sansaran's website but again it appears plots are in the 100 - 120 TW range, I need to find a plot in the >1 rai to 3 rai at a min as I am considering a family compound for aging parents (western for once) and a home for my brother on the same plot.