Moo Baan Wang Tan

DavidOxon

certainly your right to disagree, David, and if you're happy, then great. Maybe you could share with us the amount you have invested along with what you could get in rent.........whoof, whoof...

I've invested in a home for me and my family, why would I want to rent it?

It cost about the same as my flat in the UK and I guess I'd get about the same rent for it.

It also cost about 25% of what I would have had to pay for the same in the uK too.

David

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

almost never see snakes, and then, l]just the little harmless Loation Wolf Snake that the cars kill for us.

I probably disagree with 80% of what Thailander says...

I love it here, bought a plot 3 years ago and built a house

in project (area) 3, nearish the restaurant (which i visit most days)

David

Well I live in Banwangtan and would up the ante with Thailander and disagree with 95% of what he says. How can you put a price on being able to walk or ride bikes along quiet tree lined sois,many of them with no houses , have many native birds in the garden every day,clean air,flood free, a large pool to swim in , a lakeside restaurant.How many Moobans offer this ? and as for asking how much he has invested,with respect,it's none of your business is it ? unless he wants to disclose it.

Thanks for your input. ALL information is appreciated!

sections 4 and 5 are closest to the main gate, 1,2, and 3 are more around the clubhouse/lakes. As a single person, I would go for a condo--closer in--and not have to worry about clampdowns on lease backs. BWT is beautifully laid out. I was very impressed with the designs, and coming from Virginia I, too, liked the tree lined streets and mature landscaping. I though it would be a perfect place to take long night time walks--and I was 100% wrong. My fee was 300, when I sold in 2008, and it may have gone up again. It was 250 in 2006. If you can "steal" a small bungalow for 700K--I would do it--but I think it would be a very poor 3-10 million investment for the larger homes, and you would be better off paying rent with dividends from that money. As an investor--a home is only worth 8-12 times annual rent....do the Math.

There are also some real dickheads living in there. Generally renters, who have zero vested interest in the community. The soi on the way out is almost a lost cause, and at one time was kind of fun to hang out on. There has just been a revolving door of shack bars that don't last a full year. The tables next door to the 7-11 are fun and kind of Sukhumvitish--a huge flow of people stopping in for a few cold ones or other items. Next time, I am going to rent a condo behind Kad San Gaew for about 4000 per month and will be reducing the risk of a premature death on Hang Dong Rd.

BTW, it seems like a high percentage of missionaries and their bratty kids live along HD Rd. and attend the various private schools there, as well as the slaves, err, I mean teachers that work there----another minus in my book.

As sorted in a subsequent post - a block is a plot of land.

Came to look around this moo baan this week as am looking into purchasing a block. Was happy with the general impression of openness but gf (Thai) worried by the amount of high grass vegetation re snakes. Anyone have any experience?

Also previous posts have referred to 5 areas - I cannot find (on the net) any clear maps accurately depicting the moo baan let alone marking the actual areas. Has anybody got such an animal or know where I can obtain one, please?

I have spent a fair time today creating a map from Google Earth (pdf attached)

Any information will be appreciated.

What is a "block" you want to purchase?

MSPain

One would have thoght so, particularly as she comes from a rural background, but apparently not!!!

Came to look around this moo baan this week as am looking into purchasing a block. Was happy with the general impression of openness but gf (Thai) worried by the amount of high grass vegetation re snakes. Anyone have any experience?

Also previous posts have referred to 5 areas - I cannot find (on the net) any clear maps accurately depicting the moo baan let alone marking the actual areas. Has anybody got such an animal or know where I can obtain one, please?

I have spent a fair time today creating a map from Google Earth (pdf attached)

Any information will be appreciated.

I can't comment on this moobaan in particular but there are snakes all over this time of year. It has stopped raining so they are looking to find a more plentiful supply of water and frogs. There have been 4 snakes in my garden during the last week. Can't stop mother nature. Hey, this is Thailand. The g/f should be used to it by now I would think???

Useful info - many thanks!

9 years here myself and love it also.

Looking to sell our far too big house but would prefer to stay on the estate when that actually happens.

Simply same estate smaller property.

Snakes, very rare nowadays with building going on in many places, they don't like noise much.

Many thanks for your info. It seems that most people who have/sre lining in BWT are positive about it. Let's face it, nowhere is perfect!

almost never see snakes, and then, l]just the little harmless Loation Wolf Snake that the cars kill for us.

David

Many thanks or the map link. Should help in trying to figure things out although (typically Thai) the drawing is a long way from what is actually on the ground! Thanks again.

I have been in Ban Wang Tan for some time and the map seems pretty accurate to me. What is the discrepancy?

There have been some posts about snakes in general. As I said, I have been in BWT a while, I have seen snakes occasionally. I have seen more tree snakes than anything else. A little over a month ago there was what I think was a baby spitting cobra in our kitchen. Before our present house we had a house on an edge of the subdivision and there was an area that had lots of water when it rained. Snakes seemed to go there to find food (the water was outside of BWT). Also I seem to see more snakes on the streets when they cut rice outside of the subdivision or when they cut the tall grass somewhere. When it flooded some years ago (not this year), a friend and I went towards the river on our bicycles and there were snakes swimming in lots of places near the river.

Some people don't like the noise from airplanes taking off and landing. If you think that would bother you, you should try to spend some time during all of the hours of the day before buying to listen.

I forget if you said you were going to build a house or buy one here. If you are going to have a house built, be aware that if you have someone besides BWT build the house I have heard of some people that have had to pay a fee to BWT.

I would be happy to try and answer any other questions you may have if I can. I would rather do that in private messaging.

MSPain

Many thanks for your info. It seems that most people who have/sre lining in BWT are positive about it. Let's face it, nowhere is perfect!

David

If you want a guide to show you round, just let me know :)

David

David

Well I live in Banwangtan and would up the ante with Thailander and disagree with 95% of what he says. How can you put a price on being able to walk or ride bikes along quiet tree lined sois,many of them with no houses , have many native birds in the garden every day,clean air,flood free, a large pool to swim in , a lakeside restaurant.How many Moobans offer this ? and as for asking how much he has invested,with respect,it's none of your business is it ? unless he wants to disclose it.

yes, the uninhabited areas are safer to walk/ride in...how will it be after the build out? A house is just a house--it can always be replaced with another house. To look at it as "our home" and nothing else is financial suicide. Most of the time, a house is a significant portion of one's wealth. You must have a plan to sell or move or rent--no one knows what the future will bring as far as the need to move. The Thais will not buy your used house........houses sit for sale until the sign rusts out, and then some. The banks will sit on them for years, if they take them back.

Notice, I didn't even comment on the jet noise.....the dogs are the real issue, as well as the difficulty in re-selling. Maybe we could hear from someone else, who actually sold (for profit)? I could have rented out my place, furnished for 10,000 per month..a pretty decent return by investment property standards (paid 915K with a 40 THB exchange rate)....didn't like the somewhat flimsy title and the dogs barking all of the time....I usually avoid restaurants with very few customers, too--even though it was OK, but not consistent. Pool was good, but also not consistent. It's your money.....never hard to find somebody, who will take it.

Edited by Thighlander

yes, the uninhabited areas are safer to walk/ride in...how will it be after the build out? A house is just a house--it can always be replaced with another house. To look at it as "our home" and nothing else is financial suicide. Most of the time, a house is a significant portion of one's wealth. You must have a plan to sell or move or rent--no one knows what the future will bring as far as the need to move. The Thais will not buy your used house........houses sit for sale until the sign rusts out, and then some. The banks will sit on them for years, if they take them back.

Notice, I didn't even comment on the jet noise.....the dogs are the real issue, as well as the difficulty in re-selling. Maybe we could hear from someone else, who actually sold (for profit)? I could have rented out my place, furnished for 10,000 per month..a pretty decent return by investment property standards (paid 915K with a 40 THB exchange rate)....didn't like the somewhat flimsy title and the dogs barking all of the time....I usually avoid restaurants with very few customers, too--even though it was OK, but not consistent. Pool was good, but also not consistent. It's your money.....never hard to find somebody, who will take it.

Flimsy title?

MSPain

David

money blah rent blah profit blah . . .

quality of life?

I have actually visited this Moo Baan, when I was making a trip to CM with the gf last year.

My friends live on the street leading to it.

The restaurant was always empty, not expensive, but 60bht for something that sold at 30bht everywhere else.

Still you did get very good service from the two waiters, as there was nobody else to serve.

Tennis courts were totally overgrown with weeds and clearly never used.

Rental prices were generally twice as much as everywhere else, as my friend told me "too many white people renting, they are foolish with money, always pay too much"

A lot of aircraft noise.

Edited by ludditeman

I have actually visited this Moo Baan, when I was making a trip to CM with the gf last year.

My friends live on the street leading to it.

The restaurant was always empty, not expensive, but 60bht for something that sold at 30bht everywhere else.

Still you did get very good service from the two waiters, as there was nobody else to serve.

Tennis courts were totally overgrown with weeds and clearly never used.

Rental prices were generally twice as much as everywhere else, as my friend told me "too many white people renting, they are foolish with money, always pay too much"

A lot of aircraft noise.

I think you are using very bad adjectives. "60bht for something that sold at 30bht everywhere else". "Tennis courts totally overgrown with weeds" ? I think both of these statements, using these adjectives, are completely false.

MSPain

So are the tennis courts cleared and working today, nets in good condition?

Could you walk in this instant and play tennis on them?

I'm assuming you live there, so tell me their current condition.

It was a year ago I visited.

Edited by ludditeman

There are wild dogs & cats roaming the streets, too dangerous to go out even with a deadly weapon.

All the white men that live here in their overpriced rentals eat little children so not too many kids around.

Aircraft fly at low level day and night,hardly had a nights sleep in the last 9 years.

Not too many people in the pool, most been eaten by crocs that escaped during the flooding.

Tennis courts, don't know about condition although often see white men playing there, keeps the locals away.

Restaurant, awful food and way over priced we only go there once a week.

Certainly not a place any sane persons would want to live. :crazy:

There are wild dogs & cats roaming the streets, too dangerous to go out even with a deadly weapon.

All the white men that live here in their overpriced rentals eat little children so not too many kids around.

Aircraft fly at low level day and night,hardly had a nights sleep in the last 9 years.

Not too many people in the pool, most been eaten by crocs that escaped during the flooding.

Tennis courts, don't know about condition although often see white men playing there, keeps the locals away.

Restaurant, awful food and way over priced we only go there once a week.

Certainly not a place any sane persons would want to live. :crazy:

:cheesy:...lets hope this will keep the crowd away....and you forgot the wild and noisy parties...555 :welcomeani:

So are the tennis courts cleared and working today, nets in good condition?

Could you walk in this instant and play tennis on them?

I'm assuming you live there, so tell me their current condition.

It was a year ago I visited.

The tennis courts were never "completely overgrown". Perhaps you were looking in the wrong place. I don't play tennis. My comments were in regard to misleading statements.

Regarding pricing "everywhere else" I think is pretty evident with that description.

I am not trying to "sell" anything to anyone, including you. In my opinion the comments were misleading.

MSPain

David

money blah rent blah profit blah . . .

perhaps, you are a little late for The Khmer Rouge--they actually abolished currency--might have made your day. Keep in mind, they also killed everyone wearing glasses......

post-37570-0-59254900-1319471777_thumb.j

Edited by Thighlander

perhaps, you are a little late for The Khmer Rouge--they actually abolished currency--might have made your day. Keep in mind, they also killed everyone wearing glasses......

It's Thailand(here)er....maybe NOT the same rules apply ??:whistling:

but seriously (not too), take a look at this chart of housing prices over the past decade in Arizona. I would love to see a chart for Thailand.....

I sold here in 8-2005 and bought in 11-2009 and 11-2010.............buying at the peak was clearly a 200K USD mistake--but it's only money!

post-37570-0-42296700-1319476863_thumb.j

post-37570-0-23955100-1319477194_thumb.j

• 6 months later...

Any worthwhile recreational fishing in the lakes on the eastern side of the mooban?

no idea but sold up in that moobaan due to the soi dogs taking over

That was a very useful post in response to the question about fishing!

Anyway, I have fished there in the past with very little success apart from a few small perch like fish.I do know there are catfish up to about 10 kilo. Not a lot of space left to fish now as most of the land is sold/being developed.

Soi dogs,all dogs are now registered in BWT and strays will be rounded up and residents are encouraged to report any problems to the office. Owners are warned if their dogs are a nuisance.

I guess they waited to implement this until the op left the estate?

Any worthwhile recreational fishing in the lakes on the eastern side of the mooban?

no idea but sold up in that moobaan due to the soi dogs taking over

That was a very useful post in response to the question about fishing!

Anyway, I have fished there in the past with very little success apart from a few small perch like fish.I do know there are catfish up to about 10 kilo. Not a lot of space left to fish now as most of the land is sold/being developed.

Soi dogs,all dogs are now registered in BWT and strays will be rounded up and residents are encouraged to report any problems to the office. Owners are warned if their dogs are a nuisance.

I guess they waited to implement this until the op left the estate?

Thanks for the comment on fishing. Will give it a go sometime with bread bait!

There were some dogs starting to be a nuisance near my place clearly soi dogs but now they have gone so it is good that something is being done about that kind of thing. More than a lot of places do.