Moo Baan Wang Tan

DavidOxon

HI,

Just bought a piece in BWT, as my friends live there since a while and even I tried to look elsewhere, always enjoyed the open space, trees, birds over there. Plots are of decent size and I looked at who are my neighbors and they seemed pretty good, including a Thai judge.

Probably will be starting to build toward the second part of the year.

Any good suggestions on builders there? I don't necessarily want to go with a farang company, I do speak Thai pretty fluent. still want decent quality at decent price. Is 11-12,000 Baht construction cost per sqm still a good indicator?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the long termers.. Has it ever flooded ??

And when the ping does flood, where does it generally break its banks and where do the flood waters tend to lie ??

It flooded in 2005 or whenever the big flood hit chiang mai and was under water up to the club house/pool area from the ping river. I have lived here for about 7 years(leaving in may) and that is the only time i have seen it flood.

Nice place to live but the airplanes are getting irritating.The new airport is planned but will be years away. Quite a few flights that pass directly over the west end on take offs. They keep raising the monthly fees, the owner is trying to shove it off on residents at this point, not sure what that will bring. Maintenance is non existent to the gym and tennis which are about unuseable. They rebuilt the pool not long ago, but they cant seem to test the water correctly so it turns green quite often as it is not cleaned regularly. Lots of construction and will be built out within a few years thus losing appeal. Rents have gone thru the roof, or they try to go thru the roof, as it used to be very affordable. There seem to be more farang in here with the thai speculator trying to hook one with some really outrageous rents. Trash collection is good.Water service is good and no need for a tank, internet service is very good and the electricity can go out during wind storms it seems, I guess could be stronger but still good. The street sweepers that you are billed for have been fired. Security is a joke, but you get what you pay for and are pretty nice guys.

I think all moobaans suffer from the same problems as condos, namely Thai management with sticky fingers, plus of course some residents that don't pay fees at all, the end result is deterioration. Eventually the place un-moobaans itself and becomes a packed suburb without facilities. I had condos I bought as renters and sold them all due to clepto managers, I also did not buy in a moobaan for the same reason, I want control and don't trust the Thais not to rob any place blind eventually. If you have bought into a good quality new one then it will be OK for quite a while, eventually it will tip over though.

For the long termers.. Has it ever flooded ??

And when the ping does flood, where does it generally break its banks and where do the flood waters tend to lie ??

It flooded in 2005 or whenever the big flood hit chiang mai and was under water up to the club house/pool area from the ping river. I have lived here for about 7 years(leaving in may) and that is the only time i have seen it flood.

Nice place to live but the airplanes are getting irritating.The new airport is planned but will be years away. Quite a few flights that pass directly over the west end on take offs. They keep raising the monthly fees, the owner is trying to shove it off on residents at this point, not sure what that will bring. Maintenance is non existent to the gym and tennis which are about unuseable. They rebuilt the pool not long ago, but they cant seem to test the water correctly so it turns green quite often as it is not cleaned regularly. Lots of construction and will be built out within a few years thus losing appeal. Rents have gone thru the roof, or they try to go thru the roof, as it used to be very affordable. There seem to be more farang in here with the thai speculator trying to hook one with some really outrageous rents. Trash collection is good.Water service is good and no need for a tank, internet service is very good and the electricity can go out during wind storms it seems, I guess could be stronger but still good. The street sweepers that you are billed for have been fired. Security is a joke, but you get what you pay for and are pretty nice guys.

I think all moobaans suffer from the same problems as condos, namely Thai management with sticky fingers, plus of course some residents that don't pay fees at all, the end result is deterioration. Eventually the place un-moobaans itself and becomes a packed suburb without facilities. I had condos I bought as renters and sold them all due to clepto managers, I also did not buy in a moobaan for the same reason, I want control and don't trust the Thais not to rob any place blind eventually. If you have bought into a good quality new one then it will be OK for quite a while, eventually it will tip over though.

...well,not 'all' of them...I'm in the 'old' mooban that it's on the rise and people are really taking care of their houses...at least most of themwink.png

Edited by funcat

• 3 months later...

Anyone know roughly the current price of land in BWT?

THB12,000 per talang wah up.

Thanks very much

I would also be interested to know if there are any houses available (under 2 million). I've seen a couple listed, but would prefer recommendations from anyone who lives there.

These are separate items (one wants land and one wants a small house so that they are fairly close to each other).

I'm just making enquiries for some Thai people.

Edited by uptheos

• 3 months later...

I was taken to see my friend's house in Wang Tan yesterday. Borrowed his motorbike and had a good look around, up and down all the sois of most project areas. I must say that I didn't come across any unfriendly dogs in my path whilst riding around (about an hour) and there seemed to be a lot more people out exercising, walking dogs on leads, jogging etc, all in all a very pleasant place. So does anyone know if they have actually done something about the roaming stray dog problem that some posters say is prevalent, or were they just hiding from me? biggrin.png

As far as I know the Moo Baan has not done anything. I have been in Wang Tan for 13 years and the dog "problem" comes and goes. If there is a particular dog that causes problems, it usually gets taken care of.

In the past I know of some instances that enough complaints are lodged in the office and the office will notify the offending house owners - not always successful the first time, yet it always seems to end up getting handled.

I, personally have contacted a neighbor in the past and in my very limited Thai language skills got the point across politely and they took care of their dog barking problem. This neighbor had recently moved into the house and as I say, they took care of the noise after I talked to them.

laugh.png I was thinking what a nice place to go jogging now, but I need to get my rabies shots up to date.

Seriously, I didn't have a single problem whilst riding around and there were loads of people out walking, some with kids, which was nice to see.

BWT land prices from ~ 8,000 Bt t/wah buying privately. Average @ say 10k.

Avoid buying via developer as they are asking crazy money for small lots at ~ 13,000 Bt now, some up to 18,000. No-ones going to pay that!

Also, some of the developer stock is unable to be built on due to old khlongs (easements) on the chanote. Can't build within 3m of a khlong, in use or not! So check very carefully.

The maintenance staff are all great, street sweepers, garbage and water services excellent. I don't use the pool so can't comment but I do hear complaints about it being under-chlorinated.

Edited by onthedarkside
quote removed

I scoured that place extensively looking for a plot and called a ton of numbers and the lowest price everyone of them quoted was 12000 baht Sq wah the price you mention must be via people in the know because someone just looking and shopping by driving around and calling the numbers on the signs seems they were SET at 12,000 baht sounds like everyone has agreed on that price.

Edited by onthedarkside
quote removed

I scoured that place extensively looking for a plot and called a ton of numbers and the lowest price everyone of them quoted was 12000 baht Sq wah the price you mention must be via people in the know because someone just looking and shopping by driving around and calling the numbers on the signs seems they were SET at 12,000 baht sounds like everyone has agreed on that price.

Just calling up off a sign will normally elicit a statutory 12k+ Bt price because the developer TOLD all resellers they were not to advertise lower. Any sign boards with a lower price were removed. <deleted>.

One MUST get face to face with the vendor and have Thai talk with Thai to get any kind of negotiation going. Since buying 200 t/wah and working on site I have met 5 or 6 recent buyers of land at under 10k. I know that one 300 t/wah site was bought at ~ 8k. Others have done as well or better with smaller lots. You have to get out and talk to vendors, not agents and certainly not BWT Sales.

laugh.png I was thinking what a nice place to go jogging now, but I need to get my rabies shots up to date.

Seriously, I didn't have a single problem whilst riding around and there were loads of people out walking, some with kids, which was nice to see.

Why might you need rabies shots?

The maintenance staff are all great, street sweepers, garbage and water services excellent. I don't use the pool so can't comment but I do hear complaints about it being under-chlorinated.

I agree with this. Security was some of the nicest rent-a-cops I've ever met, too. One problem with some of the sign is they are years old. What about the one up high as you turn left passed the 7-11? House and land 1,040,000? Also, I've seen the developers house on various websites for about 8 years. Looks like the website wasn't updated since 2008.

Just look through the beautiful layout and mature landscaping and see the culture of renters with dog breeding operations, and renters that are running animal rescue operations. People with an incentive to keep values down. Seen it in America, too. I wouldn't buy back the house I sold for 990K, for 990K, that's for sure, but I think the guy is enjoying his house.

I actually made money on the deal little boy. Bought at 38.96 to 1 usd for 915,000 and sold at 32.50 to 1 usd for 990,000 during a transfer tax moratorium.

Those are the fact. Oh, and meanwhile the three homes I bought for 20 cents on the Dollar in the States, since then suffered most of their declines while I owned there from 2006-2008. There are bad drugs and stupid trash in America, too, and it seems like a lot of it made its way here.

Just kidding following your post

"There are wild dogs & cats roaming the streets, too dangerous to go out even with a deadly weapon".

Just kidding following your post

"There are wild dogs & cats roaming the streets, too dangerous to go out even with a deadly weapon".

I know,only joking. It was removed for being "trollish",whatever that may be!

• 4 years later...

Hi there. I had a flick through this thread and the last post is 2013. I'm keen to know more about MOO BAN WANG TAN, looking to settle in CM and this seems as good a place as any. I'd appreciate any info on the place and how it is today.

Also keen to know whether the villa in the picture below actually exists or if it's just a rendering.

Thx ?

MooBan.jpg

9 minutes ago, RobAnthony2270 said:

Hi there. I had a flick through this thread and the last post is 2013. I'm keen to know more about MOO BAN WANG TAN, looking to settle in CM and this seems as good a place as any. I'd appreciate any info on the place and how it is today.

Also keen to know whether the villa in the picture below actually exists or if it's just a rendering.

Thx ?

MooBan.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/baanwangtan/

9 hours ago, RobAnthony2270 said:

Thx ?

MooBan.jpg

Area 4 Banwangtaan, was for sale at 13 million baht but now sold. The mirror version on the house next door you would need to be friendly with the neighbors as the gap between the 2 houses is about 1 meter.

Major  development of what was a green area 1 year ago now there are more than 30 new houses completed and under development. Never seen so much house in such small areas in many of them.

I live in BWT... There has been a recent building boom of the pool houses... They look nice but the builder is putting 2-3 on a lot that in the past was designed for one house... so these have little if any yard... If you are keen to live in one I would buy a larger proper lot and ask the builder who built these to build one to your specs with a proper yard... 

Btw... A number of these are finished and none have been sold ;-)...

My wife of 20 years has bought a lot in BWT on the main road roughly one "block" before you reach the office and pool.  We plan to start construction in 2019 shortly after we move from USA.  Hopefully we can find a decent rental in there while construction is underway.  We would love to hear any updates to conditions.

Here's a photo of a rather out of date map of the development.

BWT-map.JPG

58 minutes ago, sfokevin said:

I live in BWT... There has been a recent building boom of the pool houses... They look nice but the builder is putting 2-3 on a lot that in the past was designed for one house... so these have little if any yard... If you are keen to live in one I would buy a larger proper lot and ask the builder who built these to build one to your specs with a proper yard... 

Btw... A number of these are finished and none have been sold ;-)...

The boom was fueled by a large portion of the land that is being built on being sold at huge discounts to settle the original owners liabilities. Quite a few are already owner occupied and others are being built for the new owners.

The one in the illustration is one of the few that is being/has been built for resale.

As you pointed out,, nice design but built on only 100 talang wah.