Home Visiting English Teacher

paul1970

My beautiful new Isaan girlfriend want to learn English vely good but doesn't wan't to go to school but would rather someone come to the house to give her lessons. She has a basic understanding of english and can even read and write a little so it's not as though she would be starting from scratch. I would teach her myself but just don't have the time.

A few questions arise from this.

Has anyone used such a teacher? If so any recommendations and the likely cost ?

Any advice anyone has on this would be greatly appreciated.

So I guess she doesn't have a job or do anything ?

Whilst she may not want to go to class, it would be better for her. It would also help her immensely to get a part time job where she has to speak english. That way she will improve in leaps and bounds.

If you are really want someone to come to your house, then get a westerner.

Just a question why you describe her as your "beautiful" girlfriend ? Maybe you'll have a load of ex pat male english teachers coming round for free lesons to admire her beauty !

After looking at the options she insited that she wanted a Thai person to teach her english at home well after speaking to a few it was pretty obvious that native Thai english teachers weren't up to much.

So I finally got her to go to AUA by the Dolphin roundabout as I'd heard good reports for this school and she has finally agreed to give that a go. Hopefully the results will be as good as the rep this place seems to have.

I know a poster in Chiang Mai who teaches Thai to farang men. He's straight and middle aged, and his customers' girlfriends aren't afraid that the customer will be learning Thai from some cute young Thai lady. I know private English tutors who come to the home, but they charge 350 baht in the provinces, and 600 baht in Bangkok.

Private tutors are great if you have children attending international schools but they don't speak English as their native language. The tutor then needs to be able to help with the homework in all subjects, not just English.

This is Thai VISA forum?

I am most surprised that no one has passed this comment yet.

Take your lady to a school by all means. Some of them have excellent Farang teachers, with good qualifications and with LEGAL documentation with regard to visas and work permits.

However, as far as I am aware, work permits are issued for the school location and not for "take aways" - teaching off site. Independant "teachers" offering their services as "home tutors" are working ILLEGALLY unless you are going to provide a work permit.

Not sure about the legal position if YOU are caught employing an ILLEGAL worker. Perhaps some one can clarify.