Death Of Thai Wife In Thailand

Jersey_UK

Ok.

She died last Saturday in Bumrugrad Hospital (ICU).

Funeral was a couple of days ago and she was the cremated.

Paper work to permit the above was all organised for me by Freinds / family - but at the moment I only have a PHOTOCOPY of her Death Certificate. (The original is off with her Thai family, doing something - I probably was told exactly what, but......).

What I was going to do was get her Death Certificate translated into English and then stamped by the Ministry, but without the original I can only get (and have already got today) a Translation stamped by the Translating company. I am sure I could get my hands on the original document, but to be honest I want to go home ASAP rather than hang around chasing paperwork that may not be needed or I could obtain at a later date direct from the Thai Govt.

I am not exactly sure what I am going to be doing with an English Translation of her Death Certificate at this present time (all the Thai legal stuff is done / getting done and of course is in Thai!) and in Jersey their was no requirement (or facility) to register our marriage (and we (me??? :o ) never quite got around to her SV) , so at the moment I do not need to prove that my wife is dead to anyone...........just thinking ahead, I can imagine their may be a need to explain what happened to da Missus or prove it..........

At last my question,........if I go home now, and say in 5 years time find I NEED an official record / evidence of her death (above a simple translation / photocopy), given that the Death has been formally recorded (their is a record / file number on the Death Cert), can this be obtained direct from the Thai Government / Amphur / Register of Deaths or whatever (i.e. without need to rely on a Thai Family who I will no longer be in contact with?).........obviously cost in the future would be a factor, but just to know if it is doable or do I HAVE to hang around here for a few more days........

Hi Jersey,

So sorry to hear of your sad loss, and my heart goes out to you at this difficult and tragic time.

May your wife rest in peace.

From what you have told us, we know that you did everything possible to take good care of her, and please don't feel in any way guilty about what has now transpired.

I can't answer your question, but I am sure some knowledgeable people here will before the day is out.

You have been through a great deal lately, so please take good care of yourself.

Good luck, and a safe journey home.

Mobi

I can't answer your question either but just wanted to say how genuinely sorry I am to hear about your tragic loss also. My deepest respect for your doing the right thing by your wife and trying your hardest.

Best wishes for your future and remember, although useless at this point in time, time does heal to some extent.

Although I can not answer with any facts believe it may be worth your while to stay an extra few days to resolve now rather than face a possible problem later. I assume there was a marriage and that could come up in the future. Pensions might be another area that could require proof I suspect. Official paperwork is not easy to obtain unless done first person for most things and often gets lost (fire/vermin) - but have no experience in this. You might want to ask a law firm for there opinion if you really want to leave immediately - perhaps they could take care of it if they believe it will be required.

Ok.

I am not exactly sure what I am going to be doing with an English Translation of her Death Certificate at this present time (all the Thai legal stuff is done / getting done and of course is in Thai!) and in Jersey their was no requirement (or facility) to register our marriage (and we (me??? :o ) never quite got around to her SV) , so at the moment I do not need to prove that my wife is dead to anyone...........just thinking ahead, I can imagine their may be a need to explain what happened to da Missus or prove it..........

At last my question,........if I go home now, and say in 5 years time find I NEED an official record / evidence of her death (above a simple translation / photocopy), given that the Death has been formally recorded (their is a record / file number on the Death Cert), can this be obtained direct from the Thai Government / Amphur / Register of Deaths or whatever (i.e. without need to rely on a Thai Family who I will no longer be in contact with?).........obviously cost in the future would be a factor, but just to know if it is doable or do I HAVE to hang around here for a few more days........

Some day you may need to get your social security payment and such. They might ask you for it? I know if your missus were alive, they do ask for her birth cert. and marriage license.

So wonder if doc for the passing would be required also.

There may be someting else similar which may also required. To obtain the right doc sounds wise to me.

I am sorry to hear of your loss. There's a big adjustment to be made when a loved one dies and my advice would be to take everything slowly and not make any big decisions too quickly.

Regarding the Death Certifificate - I would have thought you, being the husband, are entitled to have the original.

If I were you for my own peace of mind I would get the following if the Thai family won't give up the original:

1. A photocopy of the DC that has been properly certified that it is a true copy of the original. But you will need the original to get this done.

2. The translation to English should also be a Certified Correct Translation.

The usual cost of having this done by an Attorney-at-Law here in Thailand is 500 baht per document and takes no more than 30 minutes.

The Attorney at Law should attach a photocopy of his/her Certificate certifying that he/she has been qualified to certify signatures and documents by the Registry of Signatures and Documents Attestation Lawyers Council of Thailand.

The Attorney may also attach photocopies of his/her Attorney-at-Law License and of a card from the Lawyers Council of Thailand signed by the Registrar that shows the address of the Attorney's office.

As far as I know, in Pattaya, DCs are issued by City Hall. Presumably there is a City Hall in Bangkok? But if you have a problem finding out who exactly would reissue the DC if you need it some time in the future ask Customer Relations at Bumrungrad.

It probably is the case that you will never need to show your wife's DC if you are not claiming your wife's estate. But I would think that if you remarry you would probably have to show the DC.

Hope this helps.

I am so sorry to hear of both of your losses. A terrible double whammy. You have my deepest sympathies.

I just talked to my husband about this and he believes that if an official death certificate has already been issued then they won't issue another one. He is not certain of this, but from his experience of deaths in his family, that is what he believes to be true.

He suggested you ask the family for the death certificate so that you can get an official translated copy in English and make it clear to them that when you are finished the death certificate will be returned.

Ok.

She died last Saturday in Bumrugrad Hospital (ICU).

Funeral was a couple of days ago and she was the cremated.

Paper work to permit the above was all organised for me by Freinds / family - but at the moment I only have a PHOTOCOPY of her Death Certificate. (The original is off with her Thai family, doing something - I probably was told exactly what, but......).

What I was going to do was get her Death Certificate translated into English and then stamped by the Ministry, but without the original I can only get (and have already got today) a Translation stamped by the Translating company. I am sure I could get my hands on the original document, but to be honest I want to go home ASAP rather than hang around chasing paperwork that may not be needed or I could obtain at a later date direct from the Thai Govt.

Hi sincere condolances

please take some comfort from the fact that you made her life happy during the time you had together.

as for your problem I think I am correct in saying that if you did not register your marrage at the UK Embassy then it is not recognised by UK law and I can see no problems if you just come home

However if you wish to marry again in Thialand it is certain you would need to prove your you were free to do so

no doubt this will spark some debate Kind Regards and best wishes from Ken n Kate

kennkate, you are wrong. A legally registered marriage at a thai amphur is 100% recognised as a legal marriage in the UK.

Jersey, I am so so sorry for your losses. I know you probably want to get back to jersey asap but agree with others who have said to get the death cert translated & stamped now. It will potentially save you a lot of hassle in future.

Take care & best wishes.

I think Tammi's response is on target.

You should have the opriginal death certificate plus a certified translation. If you cannot get the original death certificate then get a legally certified copy. A small legal fee now well worth it to head of future legal problems.

Please, this is a specific question and posts should not take it off-topic. Thanks.

Are you for real? He's just lost his wife and a lot of us have been pulling for both him and her throughout his ordeal and were genuinely upset for him.

Sometimes slightly off topic is warranted and beleive me when I say that words of strength and compassion during times like this can make all the difference (I know).

kennkate, you are wrong. A legally registered marriage at a thai amphur is 100% recognised as a legal marriage in the UK.

I will second that. Registering the marriage at the embassy is fairly meaningless, except for them to keep tabs on you.

A small point: If you marry again in Thailand, you just need to do the standard affirmation that you are free to marry - you don't have to produce documentary evidence.

I can't speak for marriage in the UK though.

Edited by Mobi

Very sorry to hear about your loss Jersey.

My TGF lost her husband 7 years ago. We have been living together, in Thailand for the past year and in that time there have been a few occasions when she has had to produce her husbands original Death Certificate.

For what it's worth, my advice would be to tough it out for a few more days and try and get the original, or at the very least, get a certified copy.

Good luck to you.

Best Wishes

Jaiyenyen

Jersey,

I am sorry to hear of your losses, TB is a particular debilitating disease, but as stated in your previous thread, you were caught between a rock and a hard place, you did all that you could, with the information known to you at that time.

May your wife Rest in Peace.

Moss

that if you did not register your marrage at the UK Embassy then it is not recognised by UK law
This is wrong advice.
no doubt this will spark some debate
No debate required.