European Vacation For An American With Thai Wife

i'm an american with a thai wife, and we're planning a european trip this spring.

ireland is our primary destination (i have family there), but we'd also like to visit england and the netherlands as well---in fact our flight from BKK stops in amsterdam. the plan is to visit for a couple of days in amsterdam, next head to ireland for a week, then spend a few days in london, and finally back to the airport in amsterdam.

can anyone offer advice on tourist visas for these three countries? i'm assuming the irish visa will be relatively easy as we will have a reference on my wife's visa application, but what about england and the netherlands? i don't know a soul in either of those countries, and we only want to spend a few days in each. how difficult is it to get brief tourist visas? my wife is gainfully employed, and i have sufficient funds...but only in my name. will this be a problem?

from what i read on the dutch embassy website, my wife has to apply in person at the embassy. is this true? it's kind of inconvenient as we're located in krabi. also, it seems they require a 30,000 euro medical insurance policy...can anyone recommend an agent here in thailand that handles this sort of thing?

any advice or details of your experiences would be greatly appreciated---specifically what types of docs you included with your applications.

:o

Your wife will need three separate visas - one each for the three countries to be visited. This may present logistical difficulties as you can only apply for one visa at a time and all three embassies will require your wife's attendance in person. Providing that you can demonstrate that you are married, that you have sufficient funds and that you will be heading back to Thailand together, actually being issued the visas shouldn't be a problem but it will involve either a prolonged stay in Bangkok or several trips.

Scouse.

This may present logistical difficulties as you can only apply for one visa at a time and all three embassies will require your wife's attendance in person.

Hi Scouse, when I applied for the wife's visa to Ireland, I did it all by phone and post, would this be because she was settled in he U.K and not applying from Thailand?

Moss

To be honest, that an applicant need go in person to the Irish consulate in Bangkok was an assumption on my part, although it is certainly true in respect of the UK and Netherlands embassies and, whilst in Bangkok, the OP and his wife may as well visit the Irish.

Scouse.

To be honest, that an applicant need go in person to the Irish consulate in Bangkok was an assumption on my part, although it is certainly true in respect of the UK and Netherlands embassies and, whilst in Bangkok, the OP and his wife may as well visit the Irish.

Scouse.

If in Thailand, I think it may well be a requirement, but then, I can spin a good yarn or two. :o

Moss

i am an american and wanting to do the exact same thing. I want to take my wife to amsterdam for a couple of hours on the way to america. Although i have not talked to the dutch embassey personaly, a dutch lawyer told me that the only way my wife could come in the country even if for just a few hours is to be sponsored by a dutch national. And that we are not. I am going to try and go to the dutch embassey when i get home to bkk and find out from them what the deal is.But please follow up on this forum when you find out the deal so that i know too.

i'm an american with a thai wife, and we're planning a european trip this spring.

ireland is our primary destination (i have family there), but we'd also like to visit england and the netherlands as well---in fact our flight from BKK stops in amsterdam. the plan is to visit for a couple of days in amsterdam, next head to ireland for a week, then spend a few days in london, and finally back to the airport in amsterdam.

can anyone offer advice on tourist visas for these three countries? i'm assuming the irish visa will be relatively easy as we will have a reference on my wife's visa application, but what about england and the netherlands? i don't know a soul in either of those countries, and we only want to spend a few days in each. how difficult is it to get brief tourist visas? my wife is gainfully employed, and i have sufficient funds...but only in my name. will this be a problem?

from what i read on the dutch embassy website, my wife has to apply in person at the embassy. is this true? it's kind of inconvenient as we're located in krabi. also, it seems they require a 30,000 euro medical insurance policy...can anyone recommend an agent here in thailand that handles this sort of thing?

any advice or details of your experiences would be greatly appreciated---specifically what types of docs you included with your applications.

:o

My wife has US residency (green card), does she need to obtain visas before entering EU countries? For some reason I thought the green card with her Thai passport was sufficent to enter as though she was a US citizen?

i called the dutch embassy today and this is what they told me....

my wife needs to fill out the schengen application and compile the required docs and then call the embassy and make an appointment. on the day of her appointment she drops everything off (and i suppose they give her the once over) and then they call her the next day to say 1. the visa has been approved, or 2. come in for an interview. if approved, the visa will be ready to be picked up in a couple of days....by her or someone she designates---but she personally has to submit the application in person.

i had a lot of questions regarding questions on the schengen visa application (being overly cautious to make sure it was filled out correctly) and the thai woman who answered my call was pleasant and well informed. i can only hope that the people who answer the phones at the american embassy are the same

i tried calling the irish consulate, but all i could get was voice mail...i'll try again tomorrow.