"the Expat Rose Colored Glasses Brigade"

Pepe'

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

best answer from lazeeboy, IMO the topic should now be closed (I wont but just saying, no reason to go on after lazeeboys answer) :D

-------------------

I beg to differ. The topic doesn't break the rules and it would be nice to hear from others.

Closing it would be an answer though, of a sort... :o

There are in general only three kinds of farang: newbies too stupid to know what they're talking about, CTBs (Chronic Thai-Bashers) and KJDs (Knee-Jerk Defenders). All three sorts have the same average intelligence, but the KJDs have a much higher capacity for self-deception.

Surely there is a middle way.

:o

Edited by zzdocxx

I think any belief has it's proponents and detractors just like people vigorously defend political parties or religions that are in stark contrast with each other. Both sides of the debate cannot exist in harmony but is either side wrong? Any belief system will have it's bell curve with some in complete denial and others zealously promoting it. Presently I think Thailand is very flawed but somehow those flaws give way to what I consider it's charm and I accept you cannot have pleasure without pain. I've never been much of an activist I always try to adapt the best I can to my surroundings. If you are an expat who has chosen to live in Thailand somewhere inside yourself the tint must be rosy if not I can't see why you'd stay.

I blame it on you all never having read Alice in Wonderland.

A general comment: We all have Egos. We all want to think we are smart and have made good decisions. Many expats moved here during a good period in Thailand's history (the "no problem" period). Many have families and homes/condos here. Most have invested a lot of time and money here. YES, they are wearing a huge pair of rose-colored glasses. To take them off would injure their Egos. They would have to acknowledge that even the grandfathered in retirees are now walking on shaking ground in terms of immigration rules/regulations. They would have to acknowledge that Thailand is corrupt to the core and going downhill. They would have to recognize that it is a terrible place to purchase real estate. They would have to acknowledge that a rising tide of xenophobia (and anti-foreigner attitude) is reaching their necks. They would have to acknowledge all of the problems that are right in their face but invisible due to the "glasses." In general, these people do not have a lot of money; their options are limited. They are TRAPPED. So the best option for the ego is to ignore reality.

Of course, if you are trying to sell lousy food or terrible real estate (concrete cubes), you are required to wear very BIG ROSE COLORED GLASSES.

I can't really see the point of this thread. There are expats who are happy with their lives in Thailand, in the same way there are those who aren't. Surely that impacts their view of the place. It's nothing to do with rose-coloured glasses.

I've been here three years. Some things about life here are very frustrating but overall the pluses far outweigh the negatives for me. For many others, it doesn't. In the past six months I have paid visits to my two previous homes in NZ and the UK and each time while admiring some aspects of life there and wishing Thailand was more like it, I've also noticed the things that frustrated me about it too.

Big deal.

We all have choice. I can live in pretty much anywhere I choose to; at this point in my life, I'm happy to be here. If that changes, I'll go. Life doesnt have to be complicated.

What i find rather strange though is why members who live in places like - oh I don't know - San Diego for example, spend so much time on a Thailand website complaining about the country. Seems rather sad and obsessive to me.

What i find rather strange though is why members who live in places like - oh I don't know - San Diego for example, spend so much time on a Thailand website complaining about the country. Seems rather sad and obsessive to me.

Why does the President of the Rose Colored Glasses Brigade throw around insults so easily I ask?

Edited by PadThaiGuy

Why does the President of the Rose Colored Glasses Brigade throw around insults so easily I ask?

Hey, my stalker's back :-)

For the record, it's a perfectly valid point. I've noticed that most the biggest malcontents (yourself excepted, of course) don't live here but are occasional visitors.

And then there are those who are here unwillingly (Thai partners perhaps?) but who feel boxed in and can't leave because there is nothing back home to go home too so they're stuck in their crappy lives, with their only outlet the occasional foray into Thaivisa to whinge and whine about how bad everything is.

------------------------

It's all good... :o

I think the comment below is as valid for those who failed in Thailand, and returned to places like oh I don't know - San Diego for example, as much as those who stayed.

We all have Egos. We all want to think we are smart and have made good decisions.

Hey, my stalker's back :-)

For the record, it's a perfectly valid point. I've noticed that most the biggest malcontents (yourself excepted, of course) don't live here but are occasional visitors.

And then there are those who are here unwillingly (Thai partners perhaps?) but who feel boxed in and can't leave because there is nothing back home to go home too so they're stuck in their crappy lives, with their only outlet the occasional foray into Thaivisa to whinge and whine about how bad everything is.

Whinging on and on about the whingers again....

Been here a whole 3 years have you?

There are in general only three kinds of farang: newbies too stupid to know what they're talking about, CTBs (Chronic Thai-Bashers) and KJDs (Knee-Jerk Defenders). All three sorts have the same average intelligence, but the KJDs have a much higher capacity for self-deception.

Surely there is a middle way.

:o

---------------------

Hey ZZ you are here!

"What we have here is a failyurrr to communicate!"

Your right, there is a middle way.

Even when we can see it clearly, it's hard to stay on it... :D

I think that you have people who are drawn to look at the negative in life.

The would be fine if they kept their view to themselves, but they insist on trying to drag everyone else down with them.

If you don't see the same negative world as they do they accuse you of low intelligence.

The negative types on TV are usually the quickest to resort to flaming.

I doubt these people would be happy anywhere.

I personally find life too short to go looking for unhappiness.

I have loved my nearly six years living in Thailand and intend to enjoy whatever time I have left here.

Edited by garro

I think the comment below is as valid for those who failed in Thailand, and returned to places like oh I don't know - San Diego for example, as much as those who stayed.

We all have Egos. We all want to think we are smart and have made good decisions.

-----------------------

Never tried in Thailand. I've only played there. You have a vivid imagination my friend... :o

I have, PadThaiGuy, I have.

And still very happy, thank you. And surely that's the whole point of life here.. . .

Because if it isn't . . . what's the point of staying? I mean why would anyone who is miserable want to stay when they are perfectly able to leave? That hardly seems sane and rational to me.

I have, PadThaiGuy, I have.

And still very happy, thank you. And surely that's the whole point of life here.. . .

Because if it isn't . . . what's the point of staying? I mean why would anyone who is miserable want to stay when they are perfectly able to leave? That hardly seems sane and rational to me.

You may notice most of my posts are regarding corruption or the scamming of tourists.

Maybe I care about Thailand, the country I choose to stay.

Now you, come across as an overconfident hooligan type.

So you've been here 3 years, seen some Temples and attended a Thai dinner shows and think you are some kind of Thailand Guru.

Four sorts in fact, sir.

Many of your readers have an open mind. :o

P.S. I suspect Bendix is more lager lout than holligan.

Edited by qwertz

Mr Padthai

You seem a little obsessed with how long people have been here. How long have you been here then? BTW spending 50 years on a bar stool doesn’t qualify people to become a Thailand guru (no matter how much they think they are one).