"the Expat Rose Colored Glasses Brigade"

Pepe'

There are in general only three kinds of farang: newbies too stupid to know what they're talking about, CTBs (Chronic Thai-Bashers) and KJDs (Knee-Jerk Defenders). All three sorts have the same average intelligence, but the KJDs have a much higher capacity for self-deception.

It always amazes me how posters like this rush to grade other people's intelligence.

Is it some sort of hang-up they have?

I stopped calling people, who saw the world different from me, stupid when I was six.

I suppose we all develop at different rates.

Edited by garro

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr Padthai

You seem a little obsessed with how long people have been here. How long have you been here then? BTW spending 50 years on a bar stool doesn’t qualify people to become a Thailand guru (no matter how much they think they are one).

Experience counts for somthing, no?

It puts perspective on comments from arrogant from new arrivals like Bendix.

By the way, I don't drink.

Sidestepping the in-house bitchin' that is inevitable in such threads owing to the different factions that are onboard and bearing in mind that we're all but one big happy family :D, I will say that my adoration for the country is like that of one for a oftentimes flawed and incalcitrant child. A mother's unconditional love if you may. Recognizing the imperfections, grumbling about the suffocating heat, the arbitrary rules, a chaotic and disorganzed system and at the end of the day, with a sigh of resignation, loving it all.

It's not so much about seeing things through a rose-tinted haze but seeing things as they truly are and still be unable to suppress that grin and affection for the people (however annoying the few might be), the food, the culture and the environment. A gazillion and one complaints be dam.ned. :o

Mr Padthai

You seem a little obsessed with how long people have been here. How long have you been here then? BTW spending 50 years on a bar stool doesn't qualify people to become a Thailand guru (no matter how much they think they are one).

From reading your posts on this thread I have the impression that you have lived here at least twenty years.

If this is not the case, you are going to seem like a bit of a tosser for your criticism of Bendix.

PTG

It depends if you learn from your experience or not, and experience doesn’t come hand in hand with age or the length of time you have been here. To me, if you are experienced at living and adapting to other cultures then you shouldn't winge and whine about everything you see or dont like because its different to your own ideals.

Edited by madjbs

Thailand has a lot of warts. There is no doubt about that and sometimes I complain too much. The best way to cure myself from complaining is to go for a visit in my Politically correct home country. I take a good look at the prices and all the laws and BS. That certainly makes the problems here seem trivial indeed. I am always VERY happy to get back to Thailand. It works for me.

I have, PadThaiGuy, I have.

And still very happy, thank you. And surely that's the whole point of life here.. . .

Because if it isn't . . . what's the point of staying? I mean why would anyone who is miserable want to stay when they are perfectly able to leave? That hardly seems sane and rational to me.

You may notice most of my posts are regarding corruption or the scamming of tourists.

Maybe I care about Thailand, the country I choose to stay.

Now you, come across as an overconfident hooligan type.

So you've been here 3 years, seen some Temples and attended a Thai dinner shows and think you are some kind of Thailand Guru.

Strange how these 3 year guys think they know it all.

In the first 3 years nearly everyone I know and meet are on their 'pink cloud'.

Old guys like Bendix, who've been working in an office in Bradford all their life, understandably think Thailand;s farts smell like roses.

And still very happy, thank you. And surely that's the whole point of life here.. . .

Because if it isn't . . . what's the point of staying? I mean why would anyone who is miserable want to stay when they are perfectly able to leave? That hardly seems sane and rational to me.

You may notice most of my posts are regarding corruption or the scamming of tourists.

Maybe I care about Thailand, the country I choose to stay.

Now you, come across as an overconfident hooligan type.

So you've been here 3 years, seen some Temples and attended a Thai dinner shows and think you are some kind of Thailand Guru.

Old guys like Bendix, who've been working in an office in Bradford all their life, understandably think Thailand;s farts smell like roses.

Some people can just be happy anywhere.

I look at the positive things in my home country, and I look for the positive where I am now.

The only place I couldn't feel positive about was Saudi Arabia, so I left.

Afterwards I didn't waste anytime on Saudi forums criticising the place.

I just got on with my life.

I blame it on you all never having read Alice in Wonderland.

A general comment: We all have Egos. We all want to think we are smart and have made good decisions. Many expats moved here during a good period in Thailand's history (the "no problem" period). Many have families and homes/condos here. Most have invested a lot of time and money here. YES, they are wearing a huge pair of rose-colored glasses. To take them off would injure their Egos. They would have to acknowledge that even the grandfathered in retirees are now walking on shaking ground in terms of immigration rules/regulations. They would have to acknowledge that Thailand is corrupt to the core and going downhill. They would have to recognize that it is a terrible place to purchase real estate. They would have to acknowledge that a rising tide of xenophobia (and anti-foreigner attitude) is reaching their necks. They would have to acknowledge all of the problems that are right in their face but invisible due to the "glasses." In general, these people do not have a lot of money; their options are limited. They are TRAPPED. So the best option for the ego is to ignore reality.

Of course, if you are trying to sell lousy food or terrible real estate (concrete cubes), you are required to wear very BIG ROSE COLORED GLASSES.

If ignoring the reality works, what is the bloody problem?

BTW, how is Cambodia? What glasses are you wearing, JR? :o

It's because they have internet in thai prisons.

I've noticed that there are 3 stages to life in Thailand for the expat. Some people never get out of stage 1, some never get past stage 2.

1. Thailand is paradise, everything is wonderful, the people are great

2. Thailand is hel_l, everything is awful and the people are horrible

3. Thailand is just a place, the people are just people. Like anywhere it has its pluses and minuses and you just learn to live with it.

IMO, there is no point in slagging everything off all the time. It is fine to acknowledge the bad, see it for what it is, but to ignore the good as well will only make the person bitter and unhappy. And what is the point in a bitter unhappy life?

I've noticed that there are 3 stages to life in Thailand for the expat. Some people never get out of stage 1, some never get past stage 2.

1. Thailand is paradise, everything is wonderful, the people are great

2. Thailand is hel_l, everything is awful and the people are horrible

3. Thailand is just a place, the people are just people. Like anywhere it has its pluses and minuses and you just learn to live with it.

Exactly what I feel, well said :o

What differentiates us is the length of stages 1 and 2.

Never tried in Thailand. I've only played there. You have a vivid imagination my friend... :o

You seem to have some sort of open wound considering the troll topics you seem to have an endless supply of.

------------------

Your insults, if nothing else, are at least consistent... :D

Sigh

Try reading my post again. I have said there are many frustrations living here but we all have a choice about how we deal with those frustrations. I choose to not let them ruin my wider enjoyment.

By the way, I've never been to Bradford in my life. God forbid. But I do work in an office in Bangkok. Is that almost the same?

Mr Padthai

You seem a little obsessed with how long people have been here. How long have you been here then? BTW spending 50 years on a bar stool doesn't qualify people to become a Thailand guru (no matter how much they think they are one).

From reading your posts on this thread I have the impression that you have lived here at least twenty years.

If this is not the case, you are going to seem like a bit of a tosser for your criticism of Bendix.

Yes, how long have you been here PadThaiGuy? You side-stepped garro's question nicely.

To everyone else who dismiss me as a rose-tinted new arrivalist. I'm so sorry for being happy and failing to fall in with the self-pitying 'my life isnt going the way it should' hegemony so favoured on Thaivisa.

I'm sure after a few more years I'll be as bitter and wretched as everyone feels I should be. Of course, by then I'll probably do the rational thing and leave, rather than wallow in it.

This has syndrome has been mentioned from time to time here on TV.

How prevalent is it today?

----------------------

It was just a simple question.

No insults or slagging please... :o

What is a 'has' syndrome?

Mr Padthai

Yes, how long have you been here PadThaiGuy? You side-stepped garro's question nicely.

To everyone else who dismiss me as a rose-tinted new arrivalist. I'm so sorry for being happy and failing to fall in with the self-pitying 'my life isnt going the way it should' hegemony so favoured on Thaivisa.

I'm sure after a few more years I'll be as bitter and wretched as everyone feels I should be. Of course, by then I'll probably do the rational thing and leave, rather than wallow in it.

Yes, PadThaiGuy - how long have you been here?

Do you have a good income to let you do as you please? Or are you unable to go home to your country of birth and so feel trapped here?

:o

Mr Padthai

Do you have a good income to let you do as you please? Or are you unable to go home to your country of birth and so feel trapped here?

why do you always make money an issue palm in all of your posts? feeling inadequate below the belt perhaps? by the way the average midlife crisis last 5 to 7 years, so not sure if you have started yours or are almost at the end of it

perhaps some folks are well heeled and prefer not to put their futures and finances in a third world police state, stop bragging aboutmoney palm, it just confirms your own lack of self esteem

Edited by bingobongo

well, well , well here we go again....... this time i'll add my 2 cents. when i arrived in the los southern bus terminal at 3:30 jumped on a tuk tuk and got dropped on koa san rd. 12 plus years ago. I was broke, had no out ticket, stayed in a box over a bar for about a month and rolled up my sleeves and went to work. (teaching english) back then tefl was just starting to hit the market. I had been living in Bali the previous six months and for me there was a great contrast between the two countries i.e. bali was very laid back; spiritual, bkk was full on; grab for cash. I got a kick out of seeing the tuk tuk and the elephants on the street, the lady boys, the malls, the food, being looked at and treated like a dirty black man in america etc....

I will say that the harder i worked the luckier i got and within 6 months i was earning 50k which back then was more than many, i moved to a nice serviced apartment off south sathorn met my wife (student) was saving money and making financial moves. April came and I returned to bali for holiday while i was there i was offered a job with work permit perks etc.... hmmmm I rememeber it took me maybe a nano second to say YES and I felt like it was a gift from god to get the h--l out of the los. I returned to los for my wife in 1999 and in that time i have not found a warm cuddly spot in my heart for thais or the thai way but i do like my life style and my life.

Mr Padthai

My first trip to Thailand was in 78.

Money is no problem.(thanks Calif real estate)

well, well , well here we go again....... this time i'll add my 2 cents. when i arrived in the los southern bus terminal at 3:30 jumped on a tuk tuk and got dropped on koa san rd. 12 plus years ago. I was broke, had no out ticket, stayed in a box over a bar for about a month and rolled up my sleeves and went to work. (teaching english) back then tefl was just starting to hit the market. I had been living in Bali the previous six months and for me there was a great contrast between the two countries i.e. bali was very laid back; spiritual, bkk was full on; grab for cash. I got a kick out of seeing the tuk tuk and the elephants on the street, the lady boys, the malls, the food, being looked at and treated like a dirty black man in america etc....

I will say that the harder i worked the luckier i got and within 6 months i was earning 50k which back then was more than many, i moved to a nice serviced apartment off south sathorn met my wife (student) was saving money and making financial moves. April came and I returned to bali for holiday while i was there i was offered a job with work permit perks etc.... hmmmm I rememeber it took me maybe a nano second to say YES and I felt like it was a gift from god to get the h--l out of the los. I returned to los for my wife in 1999 and in that time i have not found a warm cuddly spot in my heart for thais or the thai way but i do like my life style and my life.

---------------------

Very well said... :o