"the Expat Rose Colored Glasses Brigade"

Pepe'

Well ive never lived in Thailand but have been there every year for the past 6 years for 1 month at a time, I find Thailand to be a great place to live and very interesting for the time ive been in the country, i see the flaws too but im not the person who will start complaining on how some thais do things as its none of my business. I live in Sydney and see just as many flaws but that wont get me down either.

WHen I finially relocate to Thailand I will see for myself but I think im going to love it there, I love the food, the people and the Thai way of life.

I do see people in Thailand who complain about everything, like this farang I know who lives there he complained that some of the Hollywood movies have been dubbed in Thai. He starts complaining that Thai's should listen to it in english and how stupid they are for doing it. I told hime he should just go buy the dvd for it or go see movies that are in english. Not that is hard to do.

But my point it people make a big issue out of nothing and should just enjoy the little time we have to live.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well ive never lived in Thailand but have been there every year for the past 6 years for 1 month at a time, I find Thailand to be a great place to live and very interesting for the time ive been in the country, i see the flaws too but im not the person who will start complaining on how some thais do things as its none of my business. I live in Sydney and see just as many flaws but that wont get me down either.

WHen I finially relocate to Thailand I will see for myself but I think im going to love it there, I love the food, the people and the Thai way of life.

I do see people in Thailand who complain about everything, like this farang I know who lives there he complained that some of the Hollywood movies have been dubbed in Thai. He starts complaining that Thai's should listen to it in english and how stupid they are for doing it. I told hime he should just go buy the dvd for it or go see movies that are in english. Not that is hard to do.

But my point it people make a big issue out of nothing and should just enjoy the little time we have to live.

Well said, I agree with you completely.

Well said, I agree with you completely.

My views exactly. While I'm ashamed to be out-articulated by an Ozzie, I'll put aside my annoyance because really this should be the final post in the thread. :o

I fear it won't be though.

Mr Padthai

You seem a little obsessed with how long people have been here. How long have you been here then? BTW spending 50 years on a bar stool doesn't qualify people to become a Thailand guru (no matter how much they think they are one).

Experience counts for somthing, no?

It puts perspective on comments from arrogant from new arrivals like Bendix.

By the way, I don't drink.

From reading your posts on this thread I have the impression that you have lived here at least twenty years.

If this is not the case, you are going to seem like a bit of a tosser for your criticism of Bendix.

Yes, how long have you been here PadThaiGuy? You side-stepped garro's question nicely.

To everyone else who dismiss me as a rose-tinted new arrivalist. I'm so sorry for being happy and failing to fall in with the self-pitying 'my life isnt going the way it should' hegemony so favoured on Thaivisa.

I'm sure after a few more years I'll be as bitter and wretched as everyone feels I should be. Of course, by then I'll probably do the rational thing and leave, rather than wallow in it.

Yes, PadThaiGuy - how long have you been here?

Do you have a good income to let you do as you please? Or are you unable to go home to your country of birth and so feel trapped here?

:o

My first trip to Thailand was in 78.

Money is no problem.(thanks Calif real estate)

Taking a trip somewhere is completely different from living there.

I went to France with my parents in the early seventies, but I don't impress many people with my knowledge of France

Saying you came to Thailand in '78 for a trip, or indeed '71, tells me more about your age than your knowledge of Thailand.

PS Married to a Thai gal for eight years from Samut Sakorn. Set/expanded up at least two family

businesses and spent several three month stays. Plus been there every year for the 4 to 6 weeks for the past ten years.

Numerous other extended trips since 1971.

Several friends and one family member have lived there over thirty five years.

Like I said, "I think I know the ropes."... :D

This has syndrome has been mentioned from time to time here on TV.

How prevalent is it today?

It is widespread! While living in Thailand overall may be great, it cannot be denied that some of what happens here is weird, strange or sometimes just wrong.

What annoys me is that some people simply see the country as perfect. It isn't. Everywhere has its problems... Just pointing out what problem does not mean that overall you don't like living here. But some people don't see it that way. Any negative comment about Thailand they see as a negative comment about them. Taking things so personally is a sign of serious insecurity.

--------------

Hey Stickman. Your still here!

Thanks. Actually I love Thailand, always have. Just as a play ground though.

Really, can't take anything about it seriously though.

Except Buddhism, which I believe, most times, I take more seriously than the average Thai... :o

In Thailand there is reality and there's fantasy. The reality is accepting the fact that your a foreigner, that you've got no rights and the system, for the most part, doesn't work in your favour. The fantasy is deluding yourself into thinking that it's any other way than that. Once you understand that then you can move forward in life. Those that don't spend most of their time sitting on bar stools, drowning sorrows in pints of lager and blaming others for their shit state. Those that see it for what it is - a bloody facade, are able to work around it and actually make a life for themselves here.

There are in general only three kinds of farang

You forget the fourth type - people who generalise about others ;-)

Actually there are only two types of people.

Those who think there are two types of people, and those who don't.

:o:D :D :D:bah:

---------------------

That is very Zen doc... :D

And you're asking this on... Thaivisa!

-------------------------

Point. Match.

Actually the question was academic.

I knew I would be insulted and criticized by members without them being chastised.

I was just curious to see to what degree... :D

It is widespread! While living in Thailand overall may be great, it cannot be denied that some of what happens here is weird, strange or sometimes just wrong.

What annoys me is that some people simply see the country as perfect. It isn't. Everywhere has its problems... Just pointing out what problem does not mean that overall you don't like living here. But some people don't see it that way. Any negative comment about Thailand they see as a negative comment about them. Taking things so personally is a sign of serious insecurity.

--------------

Except Buddhism, which I believe, most times, I take more seriously than the average Thai... :o

Can you tell me where is it that you take it seriously? The US?

And also, do you realize most complaints from westerners in thailand are about the thais not taking things seriously enough? So isn't this thread that you started(complaining farangs not being serious enough) contradicting to what you are saying in this post?

With me it depends on what's going on, if everything is well then I see things through rose colored glasses. If I get stopped by the boys in brown in order to get a donation, or a vendor tries to overcharge me, the glasses come off and I bash. I know its not good to have these types of emotional swings, but I put it off to being human. As for money, I have never experienced a surplus, I can always use more, weird isn't it.

My glasses are on when I get stopped for speeding by the BIB on the long trip up to khon Kaen. 2 mins time I am on my way minus 3-500bht :o ....It would cost me over 4000bht and 3 points back in the Uk...(12 points is an instant ban from driving and massive increase in car insurrance)

--------------

Can you tell me where is it that you take it seriously? The US?

And also, do you realize most complaints from westerners in thailand are about the thais not taking things seriously enough? So isn't this thread that you started(complaining farangs not being serious enough) contradicting to what you are saying in this post?

----------------------

I try to take my spiritual life seriously, it's not easy.

The US is a joke. At least I have some rights here, although they're disappearing rapidly.

I don't speak for anyone but myself and I didn't complain about Thais not taking things seriously.

So I am not contradicting myself in this post.

I simply asked a question and bore insults and ridicule from the usual suspects as "others" looked on.

Went pretty much as I expected.

God you guys are so predictable... :D

Maybe I have lost the plot. I came to work here in Thailand in 1991. I thought it was the pits but I stuck it out until the economy crashed. When I got on that plane headed for Los Angeles I was positive that I would NEVER return. What happened? Two weeks after arriving in Los Angeles I was wondering why I left Thailand. I worked in LA for two years, resigned and came back to Thailand. Things didn't work out financially and I ended up going back to the US to bolster my 401K and my Social Security. I'm glad I did because now it's smooth sailing. Being quite conservative by nature, I decided that it's better to have a healthy surplus than to have to worry about money. I'm not wealthy by any means but I am comfortable and want for nothing here.

I think the comment below is as valid for those who failed in Thailand, and returned to places like oh I don't know - San Diego for example, as much as those who stayed.

Why do so many Thaiphiles condemn those who decide that Thailand is most definitely not for them, as 'failures'? I have lived and worked in eleven countries on three continents and for me, the positives of being in Thailand were seriously overshadowed by the negatives. This does not in any way mean that I 'failed'. It simply means I chose to move somewhere which for me, is infinitely better. Failure would be becoming trapped in a place which I truly dislike and then continually griping about it. Thailand is not the centre of the known universe, and some of us have horizons and options which are a little more diverse than just staying in Thailand or going back 'home'.

I have lived here 4 years, age 57, British. Came here because really fed up with how my once wonderfull country changed, and gets worse year by year!

Also think it stinks here to, there is nothing good about Thailand, apart from women and Thai food, and owing to my low income i can also have a good lifestyle here.

I have never been ripped off by Thai, only because they are not as cute as me, and never given away or lost money to a thai lady...so i bear no grudges, its just as i see it.

I hate the farlangs who grease up to Thai you know the ones who wear the yellow shirts! and wei everyone.

And yes i thank my lucky stars, that i can move on when i'm ready, and that is my intentions, and yes of course, i will find problems everywhere, because that's the truth.

But please don't keep saying the LOS, BECAUSE THE TRUTH IS ITS NOT!

I think the comment below is as valid for those who failed in Thailand, and returned to places like oh I don't know - San Diego for example, as much as those who stayed.

Why do so many Thaiphiles condemn those who decide that Thailand is most definitely not for them, as 'failures'? I have lived and worked in eleven countries on three continents and for me, the positives of being in Thailand were seriously overshadowed by the negatives. This does not in any way mean that I 'failed'. It simply means I chose to move somewhere which for me, is infinitely better. Failure would be becoming trapped in a place which I truly dislike and then continually griping about it. Thailand is not the centre of the known universe, and some of us have horizons and options which are a little more diverse than just staying in Thailand or going back 'home'.

-----------------

Thanks

I have lived here 4 years, age 57, British. Came here because really fed up with how my once wonderfull country changed, and gets worse year by year!

Also think it stinks here to, there is nothing good about Thailand, apart from women and Thai food, and owing to my low income i can also have a good lifestyle here.

I have never been ripped off by Thai, only because they are not as cute as me, and never given away or lost money to a thai lady...so i bear no grudges, its just as i see it.

I hate the farlangs who grease up to Thai you know the ones who wear the yellow shirts! and wei everyone.

And yes i thank my lucky stars, that i can move on when i'm ready, and that is my intentions, and yes of course, i will find problems everywhere, because that's the truth.

You sound like a wonderful addition to the farang population.

Where are you thinking of running away . . i'm sorry . . I mean 'moving on' to next, do you think? And when?

--------------------

I knew that. That makes two of us.

It's a pun... :o

Where are you thinking of running away . . i'm sorry . . I mean 'moving on' to next, do you think? And when?

-------------------

More insults and taunting ridicule.

Naughty, naughty.

One would think something should be done... :o

This is jus like Pablov's experiment with dogs.

You know he put out the food and rang the bell.

The dogs heard the bell, salivated then ate.

One day he just rang the bell. However this time there was nothing there. But the dogs based on habit, conditioning and limited intelligence salivated anyway.

They looked for food but there was nothing there.

Ding-a-ling... :o

Nothing to run from...move when i feel like it, sorry to offend you but i'm just not fooled by the LOS crap. And i'm having fun here, cheers.

Because one hallmark of the KJD is the inability to admit his mistakes. He's in denial since admitting Thailand's shortcomings would reflect back on him. He must paint everything in rosy hues; the alternative is to own up to the fact that his judgement is flawed but his ego won't tolerate it. He subconsciously resents those who can cooly and logically evaluate things as they exist in reality and who can escape the trap of value-rigidity and simply move on. He heaps scorn upon them but it's simply transference of the anger and doubt he feels towards himself.

Nothing to run from...move when i feel like it, sorry to offend you but i'm just not fooled by the LOS crap. And i'm having fun here, cheers.

Ignore him he's just jealous that's he's stuck in the tourist area.

There are in general only three kinds of farang: newbies too stupid to know what they're talking about, CTBs (Chronic Thai-Bashers) and KJDs (Knee-Jerk Defenders). All three sorts have the same average intelligence, but the KJDs have a much higher capacity for self-deception.

Surely there is a middle way.

Indeed

What about chronic jerk defenders (CJD) or thai knee bashers (TKB) or

How could a Newbie have rose tinted glasses!

------------------------

Ahhh fun, there's that word again. Thanks. Keep up the good work. It'll all be over before you we it.

This is all for entertainment, right?

I gave up taking anything here seriously a loooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggg time ago... :o

Benedix

1. its great to have you back...

2. it amazes me how mnay whingers are actually lving in Thailand for so many years yet never stop complaining.

it must be something to do with personal issues.

3. have you ever noticed that most of the bitching is done by those that dont even live here?? or used to live here