Access Nat Table Linksy Gl

fisherd3

Does any kind soul know how to access ths Nat table of a wrt54gl? I have googled and see that third party software is required but can get nowhere in actually locating the way to the Nat even when I have downloaded a program, (controlap) which in fact does not seem to have a lot of relevance to a mere mortal. To include how you actually get the stuff into the linksys.

I have a Linksys wrt54gl with Thibor 14 firmware loaded ( I tried to load tomato as per another thread here but it failed twice so I ran shy).

Thank you :o

I don't know thibor - it would really depend on that software where the NAT table info can be found.

You could try reloading the stock firmware and then loading tomato. Worked at the first attempt for me. Or find a solution in the thibor forums?!

On my Linksys its cunningly disguised under

Applications & Gaming -> Port Range Forward

Unfortunately that's not the NAT table, but basically only the port forwarding.

When the router is doing NAT (network address translation) it will dynamically alter the originating IP address from a packet coming from your PC (which is invisible on the internet as it has a private IP, something like 192.168.xxx.xxx) with the IP address of your router (which is public and assigned to your router by your ISP and visible).

This gets logged in what we call a nat table, so when a packet comes back towards the router, the router can see which PC asked for that packet in the NAT table, and send that packet on it's merry way to the correct PC...

The port forwarding screen on the other hand, tells your router which PC to send incoming packets on certain ports to, even without that PC having asked for them. This is necessary, since when your PC did not ask for that incoming packet, it can't be logged in the NAT table, so without the port forwarding your router wouldn't have a clue what to do with that packet!

Having access to the nat table can be useful for trouble shooting, or for just simply seeing what is going on on your network...

Hope this little tutorial gives a little bit insight in the amazing world of TCP/IP :o

Unfortunately I don't have a clue how to help the OP how to access his tables. On my router (PC-based, linux) it's all fortunately incorporated in the GUI...

I think you'll need to install additional software to extract the useful info out of the nat table, because the raw version as used by your router, with all the headers etc. is not very easy to make sense of!

On my Linksys its cunningly disguised under

Applications & Gaming -> Port Range Forward

Are you saying that tomato includes access to nat table. i.e. if i put tomato on I will then have access to the nat table?

Thanks everyone for input.