Singha Plunges Into Cheap-beer Market

george

Singha plunges into cheap-beer market

BANGKOK: -- Singha Corp expects its new Isaan beer to be a hit with medium-to-low-income drinkers, especially in the countryside.

The company says it will fill a gap not fully reached by its Singha and Leo brands.

The brewer and beverage producer said the new, 4.7-per-cent-alcohol beer could capture a 3-per-cent slice of the Bt100-billion-a-year market.

Company marketing manager Chatchai Viratyosin said yesterday Singha was a favourite in Bangkok and other cities, while Leo was drunk by lower-income consumers in cities and in rural towns.

He said the new beer would entrench the company among all low-income drinkers, including those at the grass roots.

It goes on sale tomorrow and will cost Bt100 for three bottles. This is still more than its main competitor, Archa, from Thai Beverage. Archa has been selling for three years and costs Bt100 for five bottles. It is heavily promoted.

Chatchai said Isaan would not offer price promotions, because that could contravene marketing laws.

But he was confident Isaan could "certainly catch the attention of grass-roots drinkers in the Northeast". The name will grab brand loyalty, he added.

He said Northeast drinkers would want to try it at least once.

"Northeastern people are patriots. We've done surveys throughout the region and found that they are very proud of their dialect, culture and food, so we've applied that to beer. It's made in the Northeast for northeasterners," he said.

The beer is brewed at the company's Khon Kaen plant, and production capacity is 800 million litres per year. Chatchai said the company would soon increase that to one billion litres.

He said Singha was the only company with a brewery in the region and that this saved on costs. Tax revenue will also be poured back into the area, he said - another selling point.

Isaan is expected to boost total Singha sales in the Northeast by 3 per cent, reaching 30 per cent of total sales.

Initially, the brew will be sold in the Northeast only, but because Isaan people are resident all over the country, distribution will be expanded later.

Chatchai said Singha was the first brewer to introduce a purely regional brand, but he expected more to follow.

He said European brewers were extremely provincial, especially in Germany.

-- The Nation 2007-11-10

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tax revenue will also be poured back into the area, he said - another selling point.

I wonder if this is pure flim-flam, or whether there is actually some sort of deal agreed, with the government or tax-authorities, to direct this specific new source of revenue to the area concerned ?

It would be an innovative idea if so.

For example, in the rural tobacco-growing areas, all the tax from cigarrettes sold throughout the country might enable them to put their feet up, and stop working for a living !

I managed to get hold of a couple of bottles today from my local supplier..

They said cost would initially be bt25 per bottle (when purchasing 4 bottles), but not sure of the box price yet.

post-8857-1194846335_thumb.jpg

I'll let you know what it tastes like in a couple of hours...

totster :o

Archa, from Thai Beverage. Archa has been selling for three years and costs Bt100 for five bottles.

-- The Nation 2007-11-10

I'm not sure where "The Nation" is buying it's Archa from but I'd sure be interested in finding out!

Up until 2 weeks ago, I was paying Bht 250.00 a case (wholesale) but it has just risen to Bht 275.00.

Archa, from Thai Beverage. Archa has been selling for three years and costs Bt100 for five bottles.

-- The Nation 2007-11-10

I'm not sure where "The Nation" is buying it's Archa from but I'd sure be interested in finding out!

Up until 2 weeks ago, I was paying Bht 250.00 a case (wholesale) but it has just risen to Bht 275.00.

I have bought Archa a few times and its always been 5 bottles for 100 baht!! but the stuff is terrible and should be 10 for a 100 baht :o:D hopefully this new beer will be a better brew than Archa!!

At 3 bottles for 100 baht is that not the same price as Singha? Have they just rebranded it to try and curry favour with the Isaan community?

the government has been campaining to stop people drinking ,and singha bring out a beer to make it easier to afford :o

I have bought Archa a few times and its always been 5 bottles for 100 baht!! but the stuff is terrible and should be 10 for a 100 baht :o:D hopefully this new beer will be a better brew than Archa!!

I drank this terrible stuff only once. My girlfriend had asked her friend to do some shopping, including beer 'with the horsehead' on the label, by which she meant Red Horse Beer. And what did the guy bring: Archa Beer... :D

One should actually get paid for drinking this stuff!

BAD news!

Low income targets?????

Isnt there enough misery caused by heavy drinking family members in Isaan?

What a way to "PROMOTE" isaan!

It showes clearly no respect att all to resolve the current Crisus regarding alcoholisme in Isaan.

Shame on all the Thai brewerys.

fam phommachit

NongKhai

Singha plunges into cheap-beer market

BANGKOK: -- Singha Corp expects its new Isaan beer to be a hit with medium-to-low-income drinkers, especially in the countryside.

The company says it will fill a gap not fully reached by its Singha and Leo brands.

The brewer and beverage producer said the new, 4.7-per-cent-alcohol beer could capture a 3-per-cent slice of the Bt100-billion-a-year market.

Company marketing manager Chatchai Viratyosin said yesterday Singha was a favourite in Bangkok and other cities, while Leo was drunk by lower-income consumers in cities and in rural towns.

He said the new beer would entrench the company among all low-income drinkers, including those at the grass roots.

It goes on sale tomorrow and will cost Bt100 for three bottles. This is still more than its main competitor, Archa, from Thai Beverage. Archa has been selling for three years and costs Bt100 for five bottles. It is heavily promoted.

Chatchai said Isaan would not offer price promotions, because that could contravene marketing laws.

But he was confident Isaan could "certainly catch the attention of grass-roots drinkers in the Northeast". The name will grab brand loyalty, he added.

He said Northeast drinkers would want to try it at least once.

"Northeastern people are patriots. We've done surveys throughout the region and found that they are very proud of their dialect, culture and food, so we've applied that to beer. It's made in the Northeast for northeasterners," he said.

The beer is brewed at the company's Khon Kaen plant, and production capacity is 800 million litres per year. Chatchai said the company would soon increase that to one billion litres.

He said Singha was the only company with a brewery in the region and that this saved on costs. Tax revenue will also be poured back into the area, he said - another selling point.

Isaan is expected to boost total Singha sales in the Northeast by 3 per cent, reaching 30 per cent of total sales.

Initially, the brew will be sold in the Northeast only, but because Isaan people are resident all over the country, distribution will be expanded later.

Chatchai said Singha was the first brewer to introduce a purely regional brand, but he expected more to follow.

He said European brewers were extremely provincial, especially in Germany.

-- The Nation 2007-11-10

At 3 bottles for 100 baht is that not the same price as Singha? Have they just rebranded it to try and curry favour with the Isaan community?

Don't know about Singha, but definitely can get get 3 Leo (large) 100 thb.

IMHO all the beer brewed in Thailand are bloody awful. So I buy the cheapest (Archa) or Chang Draught for special.

Look forward to trying the new Isaan.

IMHO allthe beer brewed in Thaland are bloody awful.So I buy the most expensive (Singha) or Tger for a change.

Ewery time I go to Lao bring back a pair cases , or more,if the Thai Custom is nice.

BTW,I find English beer awful too! :o

I managed to get hold of a couple of bottles today from my local supplier..

They said cost would initially be bt25 per bottle (when purchasing 4 bottles), but not sure of the box price yet.

post-8857-1194846335_thumb.jpg

I'll let you know what it tastes like in a couple of hours...

totster :o

The branding guys at Stella Artois must be kicking themselves at this one.

Its as if they remamed snow Alaska.

But to be honest cant wait to try one.

Tax revenue will also be poured back into the area,

If it doesn't taste any good, tax won't be the only thing getting "poured" back into the area. At a guess 800million litres of Issan beer will be. :o

Still better than Budweiser though :D

I always assumed that Archa Beer had the emblem of a horse on the bottles because it was actually horse-p*ss!! It certainly tastes like it. (well, so I imagine!!)

Simon

I think you should do the Archa challenge 9similar to the old Pepsi challenge), just to compare. :o

From The Bangers & Mash Post in the busy section today, 12th of never. (opps November 2007):-

Beer Isan

The new low-cost beer is targeted at the northeastern region known as Isan, which has seen strong growth in beer sales.

(Snip.....)

''The battlefield in Isan indicates who is the leader in the beer market ..(Snip).. because sales growth in this zone has risen continuously,'' he said (Khun Santi).

Following the launch of the 4.7% alcohol Isan beer, (Snip....) it anticipates Isan beer will earn a 3% market share nationwide and 30% in the Northeast.

Isan beer :o will sell at 100 baht for three bottles _ the same as that Horse p*ss beer. :D

I will as always stay with this brew below as long as one Kan, BTW.

My Country, My Beer,

original.jpg

Cheers :D

Kan Win :D

P.S. One paper said Isaan the udder said Isan. :D It is still a re-banned beer "Lao Beer / Beer Lao". Message in a bottle, me tink :bah: