Ghost Housing Estates

Aikido

Before we sold our house in patters, me and my mate went driving around the various housing estates that were being built this was back in 2004/5, there seemed an awful lot of finished and half built houses around the patters area,

I wonder how sales are going with whats happened recently in Thailand.

I would hazzard a guess not so well, anyway the reason im asking is we are thinking of comming back as we now have had enough of blighty. i wonder just how many empty houses there are on the eastern seaboard i suppose the more the better as it should be easy to pick up a bargain especially in this area.

does anyone know the answer to any of the above all feedback good or bad appreciated :o .

Edited by Aikido

The property market is pretty stagnant, but not too many bargains about as someone told the Thais there was to be a property boom, so all the prices went up. I guess if they drop the price they would be losing face, so better for their house to sit empty and unsold for years than to ask for a fair market price.

Plenty of empty houses, especially on the Dark Side (East of Suk)

The property market is pretty stagnant, but not too many bargains about as someone told the Thais there was to be a property boom, so all the prices went up. I guess if they drop the price they would be losing face, so better for their house to sit empty and unsold for years than to ask for a fair market price.

Why do people refer to east of suk the dark side?

ok, here's some feedback.

There is no place named patters.

There is also no place called Pa-TAY-a.

Just airing a pet peeve.

patters. What is that all about? It doesn't have any "ring" to it. A kiddie nickname.

As for Pa-tay-a, you Brits (and I've only ever heard Brits mispronounce Pattaya this way), how do you get a hard "a" following a soft "a"? Completely ignoring the way every Thai pronounces the name of the place.

Well Bobbin, take your per peeve and.... pet it. I think some keyboards should be disabled until the after the first coffee is inhaled. Oh buggerit... there I am off topic again.

If you have cash to make serious offers on houses you can get a steal if you look around.

Spot on Jimmy. That's what is great about the current market... if you have the cash in hand right now. There's more than a few cement boxes with a silly sticker price but if you seriously talk lump sum cash, the prices will drop. My experience is 20% off.

As for Pa-tay-a, you Brits (and I've only ever heard Brits mispronounce Pattaya this way), how do you get a hard "a" following a soft "a"? Completely ignoring the way every Thai pronounces the name of the place.

Not quite sure how you are referring to the pronunciation but many people, of all nationalities, pronounce Pattaya with the middle syllable as "thai". This is completely against the way I've heard Thais pronounce it with "ta" and an emphasis on "yah" at the end.

Back on topic. I assume that the OP has a Thai wife as he is talking about buying property which of course being a farang he can't do legally. Don't know how the market is doing right now but last time I looked there were bargains to be had but all may have changed with the upcoming election and ensuing property boom :o if you believe some developers.

To answer pointofview, I used to live off soi Khaw Noi east of Sukhumvit and have no idea why it's called the dark side. The sun used to shine just the same as on the "light side". Actually I think it's a great area to live, close enough to town to get in but far enough to be a separate entity. Just my 'umble opinion.

Before we sold our house in patters, me and my mate went driving around the various housing estates that were being built this was back in 2004/5, there seemed an awful lot of finished and half built houses around the patters area,

I would hazzard a guess not so well, anyway the reason im asking is we are thinking of comming back as we now have had enough of blighty. i wonder just how many empty houses there are on the eastern seaboard i suppose the more the better as it should be easy to pick up a bargain especially in this area.

does anyone know the answer to any of the above all feedback good or bad appreciated :D .

You need to be careful with houses, things have changed since 04/05.

Whilst buying a house back then using the Company route was very popular, the Gov. has put

a damper on that scenario. Unless you're buying a house to just give to your Thai wife then

you may have a problem.

Of course the Realestate Agents will still tell you that all is well. :o

Naka.

Naka.

does anyone know the answer to any of the above all feedback good or bad appreciated :D .

You need to be careful with houses, things have changed since 04/05.

Whilst buying a house back then using the Company route was very popular, the Gov. has put

a damper on that scenario. Unless you're buying a house to just give to your Thai wife then

you may have a problem.

Of course the Realestate Agents will still tell you that all is well. :o

Naka.

Naka.

just to clarify things i do have a Thai wife and this is the only way id buy property unless it was a condo.

oh and if all us Brits are guilty of mispronounciation and thats all well Im not to concerned as for the ham shanks well lets not go there hey!

Edited by Aikido

Why do people refer to east of suk the dark side?

Not too sure myself. Ever since I have been here people living 'in town' have referred to East Pattaya as the Dark Side.

From what I can gather it is just a bit of tribal banter. I think years ago (before my time), Sukhumvit was regarded as the border of Pattaya, and those that started moving to East Pattaya were classed as not really living in Pattaya.

Be interested to see the stats now, I would imagine there are nearly as many people East of Suk than 'in town'.

A mate of mine who has been here for about 120 years refers to anything North of Dolphin Roundabout as Dracula Road (say it quick enough and even the motorbike taxis will know where you want to go)!