No More Hand-held Phone Chatting While Driving

george

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent news. But what about banning moto-cy riders from holding an umbrella in one hand while riding in the rain? :o

This has got to be the most ridiculous, stupid thing I've ever seen motorcyclists do. It worries me that someone behind them (me) will get spiked if a gust of wind blows it out of the motorcyclists' hands.

There is also a law on the books that said that window which are darkened over 60% are not legal. This law was inacted during the time Gen Chavalit was in power.

I have been told about this, but I don't think the BiB have!

Yes they have. They even got the gadget to tell how many percent darkening you have. So beware.

No more hand-held phone chatting while driving

BANGKOK: -- In three months, drivers using a mobile phone without a hands free device will face a fine of Bt400-Bt1,000.

The National Legislative Assembly (NLA) Wednesday approved the amendment to the Land Transport Act, which will go into effect 90 days after publication in the Royal Gazette.

The NLA committee vetting the bill had attached a notice to it, saying the partial prohibition would cover many motorists especially those in big cities with heavy traffic.

A public relations campaign was needed for better understanding of the law and for easier enforcement by police. An equipment budget should be prepared for police to implement this new regulation effectively.

The scrutinising committee had also urged moving towards an outright ban on all mobile phone usage while driving. Since traffic jams and road accidents cost the economy dearly, the government should improve and update the whole Land Transport Act and have National Police adjust Traffic Police operating procedures for faster and better enforcement of road rules.

No one debated the bill, so the NLA president called for a show of hands, and it passed with 57 votes.

--The Nation 2007-11-14

My question, who, how, and when can anybody really enforce this, surely not the police????? :o

Well this "law" is going to get its 15 minutes prime time TV - which is good as it will alert some people to the fact that driving whilst talking on the phone might be dangerous. I am sure a lot of people never even thought of that.

As for enforcing it, that's not gonna happen except on the odd occasion where a police officer doesn't like your face. This law is not even enforced in the comparatively law-and-order Europe. Implementing it in Thailand... big joke!!! I don't even think it will lead to more tinted windows - I think it will just be ignored completely.

Excellent news. But what about banning moto-cy riders from holding an umbrella in one hand while riding in the rain? :o

This has got to be the most ridiculous, stupid thing I've ever seen motorcyclists do. It worries me that someone behind them (me) will get spiked if a gust of wind blows it out of the motorcyclists' hands.

Why? It works, at least when driving slowly. Which you kind of have to do while holding an umbrella :D

Just another motoring law that will be never enforced outside of the odd crackdown.

Exactly. I don't believe for one second that this law will be enforced on Phuket. they don't even enforce stopping for red lights. I can go out today and see probably a dozen or more times people just ignoring traffic lights.

I wish I was wrong, but alas, I'm not.

Rarely have I seen the amount of negativity in comments as in this post. It seems obvious many are increasingly frustrated with aspects of life in Thailand. How many forum members came to Thailand because it was a legal (and moral) Utopia? No doubt, Thai bureaucracy is frustrating. Police riding motorbikes after shift without helmets is a double standard but none of us drive 80 on the motor-way either. Thailand, like all countries, possesses a dynamic mix of bureaucrats making rules, police selectively enforcing them, both of the these affected to some extent by public opinion. The lawmakers feel they are doing the right thing. The police are trying to make a living. The public opinion voice is a softer one than in western countries but similarly with the wealthy (well educated) having more influence. No surprise, this likely connects to standards in education systems.

Why not write letters to the editor at the Nation? Or, draft an 'open source' letter to the editor here in the forum and allow others to contribute?

It seems all I ever do is drive around all day and night so my whole life is spent in car or a truck and the phone is my link to the real world, I can write a text message and do all things while driving including cooking my lunch having a shower and changing my shirt pants and shoes and even tuning my car aren't I lucky !

What a fantastic life you must have. :o

Most of the research suggests that driving while using your mobile slows down your reaction time. It (reaction time) becomes the equivalant of driving when you are half pissed. This is a good rule, but one they are unlikely to enforce. Anyone arguing that it is taking away your rights probably thinks it is alright to drive when your pissed.

"My windows are way too dark for anyone to see inside, hence the reason I am rarely pulled over as they can't see it's a farang driving who would like to contrbute to the 'tea fund'

Having put up with similar looney legislation in the UK, it was proved to be pretty much a waste of time. Holding a phone to your ear is no more distracting than talking hands free, changing a CD, lighting a cigarette, programming your sat-nav etc.etc. And they have full on TV's on the dashboard here, that still work when you are moving.

And where is your constructive comment?"Reason for edit: Inapproriate text removed /Admin

......It appears that I have been slightly misquoted due to moderation, which is fair as somebody was ripping in to me and I reacted.

I still do not agree with most guys in this thread, as in the UK I was driving a car for anything between 5-8 hours a day. The only way I could keep up with business was to talk on the telephone (hands free of course). Quite often I would finish a conversation and think to myself "how the hel_l did I get here? I don't remember this junction or that roundabout etc."

As a light aircraft pilot I am pretty good at multi-tasking, but this scared me a few times. You can get overly engrossed in a business conversation to the point that your driving goes on to autopilot, maybe not so bad in the UK, but very risky here.

Anyway my point is: hands free is still just as distracting. Smoking (yes I do....lots), changing a CD, programming your Sat-Nav, argueing with your kids in the back seat, drinking water, eating, (having sex to a previous poster) etc. etc. are all distracting your attention from the road.

Not slating LOS for this, just trying to make a point that this kind of legislation is pointless.

PS. Never had an accident here in my pimpmobile, although I do have to lower the windows at junctions so I can see whats coming! Ha

A similiar law has been in effect in Greece for over a year. The fine is about 50 Euro for first offense and up to 350 Euro for repeated offenses or if talking on cellphone while driving actually is the cause of an accident. Not to mention possible suspension or repeal of license.

Similar laws are being passed in various State in the USA. There are also several States which prohibit deeply tinted windows which are so dark as to make it impossible to see inside the car, that law has been in effect for decades in California.

The telephone law should also include immediate confiscation of the telephone, if it doesn't already

Yes I think they should make this place exactly like those shitty western countrys we can't stand. All the same idiot rules and regulations.

This law surely doesn't apply to me, does it?

I have noted that now there are the exceptions, which really make it a useless law. Something like, 'while driving in urban areas with congested traffic." Which means not on the soi, not when the traffic is not congested--and who decides that?

I must admit that I have seen a few people who do 'pull over' to talk on the phone. Unfortunately, they are still in a driving lane and this creates problems for the rest of us.

Overall, I think it's a good law. Lots of things distract drivers, including lighting cigarettes, changing CD's etc., but these usually just take a few seconds. Phone calls can stretch into a fair amount of time and can occasionally require careful listening and attention to detail that is distracting from driving.

Yes its the old storie if there is no inforcement to back up all these rules its worth nothing. i live in australia 4months of the year and if there is a accident now the police are checking through the phone network or even the mobile of the drivers involved if there was a text or call they can investigate further.

But in thailand i dont know i was caught without a helmet riding from Puket town over the hill to Patong , walked down to pay 200 bht and walked back gave form to police , this was about 11 am he said ok you can go, you no need helmet until 12 midnight .

cheers

... Thailand is getting so much 'farangised' and i hate those whimps always complaining about everything because it's not like in their country of origin... I love seing riders (in the storm) holding an umbrella in one hand and a cell phone in the other, clutching a baby on the stomack, with the helmet in the basket (joke)... I love seing a bit of a mess in the traffic, I loved this country when it was thailand, now i am in UK, USA, and I hate it ...

You farangs stop STOP whining about everything and reflect on the chances you have to live here : world champion in 'coup d'etat', world champion in the number of generals, world champions in the numbers of non enforced laws, how about that, I don't care if their IQ is zero and yours is 150, i wish you simply maipenrai a bit more and stop believing they hate farangs but they simply don't care about farangs, so how could they hate them ... and so on and i am bored and i wish you'd be more fun but most of you are grumpy old drunks with (except some) no sense of humour and no will to TAKE IT EASY. Thats all folks

My windows are way too dark for anyone to see inside, hence the reason I am rarely pulled over as they can't see it's a farang driving who would like to contribute to the 'tea fund'

Having put up with similar looney legislation in the UK, it was proved to be pretty much a waste of time. Holding a phone to your ear is no more distracting than talking hands free, changing a CD, lighting a cigarette, programming your sat-nav etc.etc. And they have full on TV's on the dashboard here, that still work when you are moving.

And where is your constructive comment?

1) Yes but using a mobile is likely (and often is) a MUCH longer procedure, and at times is a complicated discussion taking a LOT of the drivers concentration.

2) Using on a mobile on a Motorbike is much HIGHLY dangerous.

3) The way the driving is in Thailand anything reasonable and obvious that helps aid concentration is desirable. I am sure most of us have witnessed mobile related dangerous driving

I regret you see this as "similar looney legislation in the UK" Whats loony about protecting lives. My friend in Spain often used his mobile on whilst driving and has been pulled twice recently following a police crackdown. He has now stopped doing so and pulls over and rings back. Another safer driver. Despite what you feel there ARE many previous violators in the UK that are now safer drivers and no doubt lives saved and injuries reduced. What's loony about the legislation? I don't understand. What is LOONY is driving whilst having (often protracted) phone conversations with only one hand on the wheel/handle bar.

I am not suggesting most of us have not used a mobile whilst driving but I feel few consider it a good or safe practise.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, a TYPICAL attitude from a certain section of Foreigners here in Thailand that seem to love Thailand mostly for what they feel they can get away with that they could not in their own countries (or if they can't, they are easily able to pay "tea money" for their indiscretions).

No wonder some Thais do not like Farangs! After all they cannot tell the law abiding decent folk from the rest who take advantage of a more relaxed society

You are of course correct that ANY non driving activities interfering with concentration/stability whilst in charge of a vehicle are dangerous is varying degrees.

Personally, I would outlaw all non "two way view black car windows (except by special licence for security, royals High level states people etc.). If a person does not like that then they are not required to drive.

My reasoning is pretty obvious, black windows could be very helpful for villains, underage, drunks, mobile users avoiding police (or witness) identification. Additionally, sometimes being able to see the other driver helps. For example a driver signalling with hands that he is letting you pull out in front of him etc. also how many times has a driver (or us) slowed upon seeing people/children trying to cross the road and signal that they can proceed in front of their/our car/motorbike with safety).

I am not suggesting most users of black windows (nor sweetchariot) fall into the "ulterior motive" categories, I am merely pointing out that black windows can aid misuse and detection of illegal activities.

I do certainly sympathise with sweet chariot's comments about "tea money and Farangs" however, as this is a well know problem everywhere in Thailand.

My windows are way too dark for anyone to see inside, hence the reason I am rarely pulled over as they can't see it's a farang driving who would like to contribute to the 'tea fund'

And where is your constructive comment?

1) Yes but using a mobile is likely (and often is) a MUCH longer procedure, and at times is a complicated discussion taking a LOT of the drivers concentration.

2) Using on a mobile on a Motorbike is much HIGHLY dangerous.

3) The way the driving is in Thailand anything reasonable and obvious that helps aid concentration is desirable. I am sure most of us have witnessed mobile related dangerous driving

I regret you see this as "similar looney legislation in the UK" Whats loony about protecting lives. My friend in Spain often used his mobile on whilst driving and has been pulled twice recently following a police crackdown. He has now stopped doing so and pulls over and rings back. Another safer driver. Despite what you feel there ARE many previous violators in the UK that are now safer drivers and no doubt lives saved and injuries reduced. What's loony about the legislation? I don't understand. What is LOONY is driving whilst having (often protracted) phone conversations with only one hand on the wheel/handle bar.

I am not suggesting most of us have not used a mobile whilst driving but I feel few consider it a good or safe practise.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, a TYPICAL attitude from a certain section of Foreigners here in Thailand that seem to love Thailand mostly for what they feel they can get away with that they could not in their own countries (or if they can't, they are easily able to pay "tea money" for their indiscretions).

No wonder some Thais do not like Farangs! After all they cannot tell the law abiding decent folk from the rest who take advantage of a more relaxed society

You are of course correct that ANY non driving activities interfering with concentration/stability whilst in charge of a vehicle are dangerous is varying degrees.

Personally, I would outlaw all non "two way view black car windows (except by special licence for security, royals High level states people etc.). If a person does not like that then they are not required to drive.

My reasoning is pretty obvious, black windows could be very helpful for villains, underage, drunks, mobile users avoiding police (or witness) identification. Additionally, sometimes being able to see the other driver helps. For example a driver signalling with hands that he is letting you pull out in front of him etc. also how many times has a driver (or us) slowed upon seeing people/children trying to cross the road and signal that they can proceed in front of their/our car/motorbike with safety).

I am not suggesting most users of black windows (nor sweetchariot) fall into the "ulterior motive" categories, I am merely pointing out that black windows can aid misuse and detection of illegal activities.

I do certainly sympathise with sweet chariot's comments about "tea money and Farangs" however, as this is a well know problem everywhere in Thailand.

Did you read my 2nd post (No 75)?

The telephone law should also include immediate confiscation of the telephone, if it doesn't already

Yeah great, so then the BiB can pull you over, spot a nice mobile phone in your car, claim you were talking on it without a handsfree while driving and subsequently help themselves to your phone for free.

Great Idea, brilliant! Got any more bright ideas?

OH BROTHER!! Just look at the date & time stamps for the phone usage.

This law only applys to Members of the Institute of Advanced Thai drivers.not those who hold a normal thai licencen. police, influencial members ,cityhall employees ,brothe and bar owners.If you are interest in becoming a member contact Arry at Arrys bar Soi 1a

Anyway my point is: hands free is still just as distracting. ...

I totally disagree based on my personal experience. It isn't just the conversation that distracts people while driving and talking on the phone. It's the disproportionately high importance that people place on keeping the phone to their ear when they need to be turning their head to look over their shoulder (which holding a phone makes difficult), or when they need to be using both hands to maneuver out of a hazardous situation that arises. Think about it, you are capable of safely holding a conversation with a passenger while you are driving, aren't you? I am.

If people would just be willing to drop their phone and handle situations as they arise that require attention and dexterity (letting the person on the other end of the line wonder why they suddenly fell silent for a few moments), then most accidents would probably be avoided. But no, we have to hold that phone to our ear as if our lives depended on it, preventing us from exercising the necessary caution required to drive safely.

That is why I believe that using a hands-free device is an effective safety measure, and why I support laws that only allow mobile phone use while driving if the driver is using one.

Cheers,

-oev

Did you read my 2nd post (No 75)?

Hi sweetchariot,

No I admit I answered your message as I came to it not expecting the later comments. Thank you for pointing No75 to me which contains useful and appreciated logic and reasoning

Agree about concentration loss being same with Non handhelds, but at least with Non handhelds the drivers hands are on the wheel most of the time (even if the mind is not concentrating fully on driving).

I understand the problems of being on the road much of the working day and that such persons have a heavy reliance and need for mobile communication and of all people shoulddefinitely install Non handheld devices as they know they will be on the mobile for a lot of time whilst driving.

At the end of the day it is little consolation after an accident or death, what the reason was that the car driver was using a hand mobile. I appreciate of course that the accident may not be the drivers fault, BUT I am sure all agree, 2 hands on the wheel are better than one for control and speed and efficiency of reaction (try turning a steering wheel more than 30% without 2 hands.

I suspect no matter what laws are brought in to help drivers concentration, I suspect the biggest concentration breakers can never be legislated for, namely the human habit of letting ones concentration slip into thoughts concerning happiness, anger, meetings, planning, love, worries, sadness etc.

Regards

So its still OK on a motorbike? The article refers to drivers, not riders.

Pedantic I know but it wouldn't surprise me. Just get a darker tint on your windows so the BiB can't see you!

Motor bikes should be left alone. This country is fast loosing it's attractions.

And while there at it........ why not outlaw traffic jams in BKK!!!!!!!! 55555

Edited by jayjayjayjay

No more hand-held phone chatting while driving

BANGKOK: -- In three months, drivers using a mobile phone without a hands free device will face a fine of Bt400-Bt1,000.

The National Legislative Assembly (NLA) Wednesday approved the amendment to the Land Transport Act, which will go into effect 90 days after publication in the Royal Gazette.

The NLA committee vetting the bill had attached a notice to it, saying the partial prohibition would cover many motorists especially those in big cities with heavy traffic.

A public relations campaign was needed for better understanding of the law and for easier enforcement by police. An equipment budget should be prepared for police to implement this new regulation effectively.

The scrutinising committee had also urged moving towards an outright ban on all mobile phone usage while driving. Since traffic jams and road accidents cost the economy dearly, the government should improve and update the whole Land Transport Act and have National Police adjust Traffic Police operating procedures for faster and better enforcement of road rules.

No one debated the bill, so the NLA president called for a show of hands, and it passed with 57 votes.

--The Nation 2007-11-14

....Motor bikes should be left alone. This country is fast loosing it's attractions....

:o You find Motor cycling in Thailand attractive.

I am FOR ONCE (almost) speechless :D

It's not the motorcycles that are the problem but the lunatics on them most without any apparent knowledge (or probably more accurate DO NOT GIVE a dam_n) about any basics safety aspects of Highway code, Thai road Laws or other peoples (or their own) lives.

Seems to me like a "life and death" lottery every time when trying to get from A to B.

"Do You feel lucky" comes to mind

regards