No More Hand-held Phone Chatting While Driving

george

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, just get a darker tint on your windows, thats if you haven't already., I guess this will be the next thing to ban.

oh how about having a tv in your car? isn't that more distracting than the use of a mobile, or is this already ilegal?

anyway, I agree with the whole mobile phone issue, there has been so many times when the car in front of me is all over the road becuse the driver was using his phone, the other times is just because it was a thai driver :o

I agree, I see more and more drivers watching TV instead of driving, and not just stuck in traffic, but on the tollways going 140 kh/hr.

I can't believe this is actually legal here!!!

"Personally I am not favor of phone calls. If the phone rings I think the driver should pull over and complete the conversation and then continue to drive. Even hands free devices are distraction whilst driving. "

And just where do you think they can, or will, pull over in heavy BKK traffic? Most of the time if you did that, you would get rear-ended by a Green bus!!!

Just don't answer the stupid thing, or better yet, shut it OFF when you're driving!!!

Yesterday I was on the government bus from Leamgnop (Kho Chang Island) to BKK. The driver was yapping away on his cell phone most of the time, letting go of the steering wheel to shift gears.

Later I caught a wift of tobacco and -you guessed it- he was smoking.

TIT....

Just another motoring law that will be never enforced outside of the odd crackdown.

IT WON'T WORK, get that or should i say it again.

We have got the same law here in Queensland, in the beginning it was ok, but now , nobody cares a rats ass.

Like someone has already said .................just more 'tea money'

Also one has to take into account the atrocious driving practises in Thailand, where 'anything' goes .

There is also a law on the books that said that window which are darkened over 60% are not legal. This law was inacted during the time Gen Chavalit was in power.

The handsfree phoning has been implemented in Belgium several years ago. Fines are 75 Euros. Windows can be as black as you want except for the driver and passenger window which is limited to 30% darkening.

Finally a good law which is passed...

In Belgium, windows can be as black as you want !

Does this apply to drivers too ? :o:D

This law only applys to Members of the Institute of Advanced Thai drivers.not those who hold a normal thai licencen. police, influencial members ,cityhall employees ,brothe and bar owners.If you are interest in becoming a member contact Arry at Arrys bar Soi 1a

Yeh , i know arry' you are just trying to find a way to charge a bar fine for the bloody phone ! :o

So its still OK on a motorbike? The article refers to drivers, not riders.

Pedantic I know but it wouldn't surprise me. Just get a darker tint on your windows so the BiB can't see you!

motor vehicle includes motor cycle..how about some constructive comment to support this about time rule..

constructive? As usual its a case of good intentions but will never be properly enforced. You sound like you're not very knowledgable of the way driving rules are enforced in this country. I was once stopped on my motorbike for passing a bus on the right. The officer actually told me I should have passed on the left. Of course he tried to get a bribe, when I pushed him on the actual rule he just looked frustrated and waved me off with his hand. Constructive....get a grip, this is comedy pure and simple.

No more hand-held phone chatting while driving

BANGKOK: -- In three months, drivers using a mobile phone without a hands free device will face a fine of Bt400-Bt1,000.

The National Legislative Assembly (NLA) Wednesday approved the amendment to the Land Transport Act, which will go into effect 90 days after publication in the Royal Gazette.

The NLA committee vetting the bill had attached a notice to it, saying the partial prohibition would cover many motorists especially those in big cities with heavy traffic.

A public relations campaign was needed for better understanding of the law and for easier enforcement by police. An equipment budget should be prepared for police to implement this new regulation effectively.

The scrutinising committee had also urged moving towards an outright ban on all mobile phone usage while driving. Since traffic jams and road accidents cost the economy dearly, the government should improve and update the whole Land Transport Act and have National Police adjust Traffic Police operating procedures for faster and better enforcement of road rules.

No one debated the bill, so the NLA president called for a show of hands, and it passed with 57 votes.

--The Nation 2007-11-14

No more hand-held phone chatting while driving

BANGKOK: -- In three months, drivers using a mobile phone without a hands free device will face a fine of Bt400-Bt1,000.

The National Legislative Assembly (NLA) Wednesday approved the amendment to the Land Transport Act, which will go into effect 90 days after publication in the Royal Gazette.

The NLA committee vetting the bill had attached a notice to it, saying the partial prohibition would cover many motorists especially those in big cities with heavy traffic.

A public relations campaign was needed for better understanding of the law and for easier enforcement by police. An equipment budget should be prepared for police to implement this new regulation effectively.

The scrutinising committee had also urged moving towards an outright ban on all mobile phone usage while driving. Since traffic jams and road accidents cost the economy dearly, the government should improve and update the whole Land Transport Act and have National Police adjust Traffic Police operating procedures for faster and better enforcement of road rules.

No one debated the bill, so the NLA president called for a show of hands, and it passed with 57 votes.

--The Nation 2007-11-14

Quite often I would finish a conversation and think to myself "how the hel_l did I get here? I don't remember this junction or that roundabout etc."

This is so true. Whilst in the UK I drive a 44 tonne artic truck part time. We have fixed hands free phones, but many times after having dealt with an incoming call, i think exactly as above. It scares the sh1t out of me.

There are 2 issues:

1. Is the actual holding of the phone and being unable to maintain full & safe control whilst doing so.

2. The reduction in concentration. Its not the same as holding a conversation with passengers, they can see what is happening on the road ahead.

Oh Dear no mobile to distract them ? Still would be a ridiculous suggestion to think that they may actual conentrate on driving though, so suspect that they will just have to revert to combing hair and applying make-up. Mind you watching the DVD on the dash board should allow them to wander from lane to lane as normal, that will still be legal.

Edited by esprit

I changed cars and got a dark tint and have not paid any tea money for 3 months

I have no dark tints and have not paid any tea money since 4 years. Actually I haven't talked to a policeman for that time.

I really don't know what problems you guys have.

The law about the phones is just normal and I really hope they ban the dammed TV screens as next. Let them be in the back seat, but ban them in the front.

Quite often I would finish a conversation and think to myself "how the hel_l did I get here? I don't remember this junction or that roundabout etc."

This is so true. Whilst in the UK I drive a 44 tonne artic truck part time. We have fixed hands free phones, but many times after having dealt with an incoming call, i think exactly as above. It scares the sh1t out of me.

There are 2 issues:

1. Is the actual holding of the phone and being unable to maintain full & safe control whilst doing so.

2. The reduction in concentration. Its not the same as holding a conversation with passengers, they can see what is happening on the road ahead.

While I agree with your point 1, I really don't get point 2. Having the person aside me seeing what happens on the street does not increase my concentration at all. As a matter of fact, if I'm chattng with somebody sitting in my car my concentration for the road reduces. Therefore I find myself in the slower lane etc, because I just did not watch ahead but was talking. The same when using my mobile with bluetooth handsfree. If I reach the destination I couldn't tell you whether the traffic was much or not so much jamed. While I can tell you the color and brands of all those cars who were driving terribly slowly when I was not talking on the phone and driving alone. Driving is a full time job, especially in the city. People just don't want to accept it.

... Thailand is getting so much 'farangised' and i hate those whimps always complaining about everything because it's not like in their country of origin... I love seing riders (in the storm) holding an umbrella in one hand and a cell phone in the other, clutching a baby on the stomack, with the helmet in the basket (joke)... I love seing a bit of a mess in the traffic...

A "mess in the traffic"? You mean like this?:

motorcycle-crash-into-car-759830.jpg

There are 2 issues:

So, you're saying that you rely on passengers in the car that you are driving to watch the road while you talk with them?

I didn't say that hands-free devices removed all risk, just that I think they reduce what I consider to be the most significant risk (holding the phone to the ear at all cost while trying to drive). Given that banning mobile phone use while driving will not stop people from doing it, I think that hands-free devices are a good compromise. They seem to be catching on, so in my opinion the solution is working. I know it looks a little silly when people walk around all day with those little bluetooth devices in their ear, but I won't complain if it means they will use it while driving too.

Cheers,

-oev

well at least with my newly found free hand i can eat lunch, read the paper, work on the laptop or write my reports since i certainly will have enough free time at "driving" in Bangkok traffic

There you go. You're seeing the benefits of this law already! :o

Cheers,

-oev

So, you're saying that you rely on passengers in the car that you are driving to watch the road while you talk with them?

absolutely not, but a fair majority of passengers would shut up if they spotted a serious situation developing on the road ahead & allow the driver to concentrate fully. Someone on the end of a phone line can't see that development.

Jonathan

DSA ADI

RoSPA Gold

Edited by Lancashirelad

I read a lot of negative comments on this forum, as well as a lot of very funny ones, but on this phones thread. Its been law in the UK for years now, so I suppose us Brits are used to it. But I was back in the UK a while ago and answerd my phone at a set of traffic lights - there were no blue boys around. My son told me to close the phone right away because the cameras on the traffic light pole would take a picture of me, my car and my phone and they would send a fine. Then I went into a bus lane, he said - get into the proper lane because the buses have cameras in the front to take pics of cars in the wrong lane. (Well, the driver does, obviously not the bus) Again they send a fine. Drive anywhere and you are hearing threats on the radio about non payment of car tax, tv licence etc etc. And then there's the tobacco police, and the traffic wardens with a camera in their hats (no kidding)

Where would you rather live?

Just a small correction ---The buses DO have cameras installed on the front,The driver only activates it.Take a look at many of the buses that ply around Heathrow area.

I was returning home from Khon Kaen one day, through the busy suburbs when a young girl on a motorbike pulled up in front of me for no apparent reason blocking the road. There was no room to overtake so I had to sit there and wait and see what the problem was. She proceeded to delve in her pocket to answer her mobile phone and just sat there talking !.

Needless to say she just looked at me blankly when I hit the horn and she gradually moved herself out of the way.

I think its a fair enough generalization to say that most Thais haven't a clue how to drive, without a mobile phone pressed to their ear and seem to be oblivious to their surroundings (and other motorist) *

This is compounded to the point of absurdity when they're on a mobile phone. They slow down, drift all over the road, stop at junctions they can drive through, drive through junctions they should stop at...................and the worst part is if I show my displeasure by cutting them up (something that would infuriate someone in the UK)......they're completely oblivious to it !

If you suffered from road rage in Thailand you'd be 6 feet under in no time - with stress !

* particularly Thai women - and this isn't a sexist remark - its a fact.

sounds like she was just a typical dumbass Thai - They must be the the stupidest people ever eh? Usually unaware of the World around them just their own little world ! :o

It won't be inforced unless you are talking on the phone when you pull up to a license/helmet/reg. roadblock.

Here is something I like to point out when I hear Falangs complaining about the way Thais drive. If the police back in the UK/Europe/USA suddenly anounced they were no longer going to stop people for drunk driving, speeding, reckless driving, running red lights, etc., what do you think would happen??? ......... the roads would be red with blood even more than they are now. There is almost no change of getting pulled over in Thailand for those moving violations. Considering the Thais do not have that threat hanging over thier head I think the Thais are rather restained in thier driving. I would be happy if the motorbikes would just turn thier lights on at night !!

Edited by Miami Bob

I was returning home from Khon Kaen one day, through the busy suburbs when a young girl on a motorbike pulled up in front of me for no apparent reason blocking the road. There was no room to overtake so I had to sit there and wait and see what the problem was. She proceeded to delve in her pocket to answer her mobile phone and just sat there talking !.

Needless to say she just looked at me blankly when I hit the horn and she gradually moved herself out of the way.

I think its a fair enough generalization to say that most Thais haven't a clue how to drive, without a mobile phone pressed to their ear and seem to be oblivious to their surroundings (and other motorist) *

This is compounded to the point of absurdity when they're on a mobile phone. They slow down, drift all over the road, stop at junctions they can drive through, drive through junctions they should stop at...................and the worst part is if I show my displeasure by cutting them up (something that would infuriate someone in the UK)......they're completely oblivious to it !

If you suffered from road rage in Thailand you'd be 6 feet under in no time - with stress !

* particularly Thai women - and this isn't a sexist remark - its a fact.

sounds like she was just a typical dumbass Thai - They must be the the stupidest people ever eh? Usually unaware of the World around them just their own little world ! :o

Wow, it must be great to be American and put every other nation in the world in pidgeon holes. So Thais are the stupidest people ever?

I guess all Arabs are terrorists?

etc, etc. (I could go on but it will get deleted anyway).

What is it they say about people in glass houses? Throwing stones?

Take a look at this

Ha.

So its still OK on a motorbike? The article refers to drivers, not riders.

Pedantic I know but it wouldn't surprise me. Just get a darker tint on your windows so the BiB can't see you!

LOL. Good idea but why bother? Are laws/rules enforced now? I don't know how many cars/motorbikes I've seen going through red lights w/ police sitting in a box next to the incidents. LOL but was a good laugh.

:o Keoki